Book Challenge 2018

Discuss books here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Book Challenge 2018

#1  Postby UncertainSloth » Jan 01, 2018 11:49 am

Book Challenge 2018

Rules of the challenge copied and pasted for those not familiar with the challenge:

1. 25 or 50 books are the usual targets - however, I thought would be fairer to open it up a bit to let people decide their own targets as we all have different lives to lead...;)
2. A book must be at least 50 pages long.
3. Books you started in 2017 and finish in 2018 count on the 2018 list.
4. Re-reads count
5. If a book has two books in it it counts as two (Ex. An Orwell book with the animal farm and 1984, counts as two.)
6. No rules on what to read, besides what's listed.
7. This is for fun so enjoy yourself.

If you have time, please post a brief review or comment about the book - I love reading these, especially don't get me started's last year, and it helps me, for one, decide whether I want to explore something further or not...happy reading, folks! :cheers:
Last edited by UncertainSloth on Jan 01, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
i guess i could be a quiet hero
no one knows the good i've done

e
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Book Challenge 2018

#2  Postby UncertainSloth » Jan 01, 2018 11:54 am

setting myself the target of 60 - i think last year was a bit of an anomaly as far as my reading habits go and unlikely to have the same sort of time available to me to thunder through books (hopefully, anyway...;) )

1. notes from the upside down: inside the world of stranger things - guy adams - 4/5 - an interesting accompaniment to series 1, exploring the references, homages and inspiration behind each episode...looking at the music and films mentioned, the writer clearly shares my tastes...;)

e
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby felltoearth » Jan 01, 2018 1:48 pm

No target for me but I'd like to read a lot of the books on this list:

http://www.openculture.com/2015/08/bria ... lists.html

Currently reading: Fifteen Dogs by André Alexis.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby UncertainSloth » Jan 01, 2018 1:56 pm

interesting link - thanks for posting that...

e
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby UncertainSloth » Jan 02, 2018 11:33 pm

1. notes from the upside down: inside the world of stranger things - guy adams - 4/5
2. mythos - stephen fry - 5/5 - ummed and ahhed over the score for this...there's so much to enjoy, such a thorough knowledge of, and love for, his subject and he did exactly what i wanted from it - explored the earlier dynasties of greek mythology, gods and goddesses in depth rather than skimming through, like so many before him, to get to the 'heroic era'....there's none of that here - no hercules, no jason, no perseus, just everything that went before (which, imo, leavesit totally open for a second volume focussing on them)...just one quirk that i had to learn to deal with and nearly knocked it down a point...he has a tendency to slip into the modern vernacular which can feel jarring until you get used to it...pages and pages of typical greek mythology exposition, lovely writing, then a conversation using modern slang...on reflection, i can see why he does it - there are certain parallels he is drawing between the interaction and behaviour of the gods and modern life, but i don't think it would appeal to everyone...think i'll read a few reviews to see what they thought...

e
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby I'm With Stupid » Jan 03, 2018 1:14 am

I started this last year and then got a bit lost in the middle of studying with which books I'd read. Think I probably met the 25 book target, but there were loads of books read in sections over a series of months.

Anyway:

1. Autumn by Ali Smith

Read that on a plane journey today. I really liked it, but much shorter than it looks. A lot of blank pages. I bought four books over Christmas to read, so I'll try and read them. But I'm not going to set a target, because I found that last year it encourages you to read more shorter books to bump the number up, and the book I enjoyed the most last year was over 800 pages.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#7  Postby UncertainSloth » Jan 03, 2018 6:43 am

with you there - one of my favourite books of the year was 780ish and averaged 450 but hopefully won't have the same time or reasons to read as much this year...part of the reason i left out the 25/50 bit....people can put one if they want but no need to

i've set the same target on goodreads and here as it keeps me reading now i'm enjoying it again..;D...

e
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby minininja » Jan 03, 2018 6:17 pm

What say you on audiobooks? I've mostly been listening rather than reading lately.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby UncertainSloth » Jan 03, 2018 6:21 pm

whatever suits you, sir...i don't listen to them myself but i think they make up about half of nameless's posts...the rules have always embraced them, as long as i've been involved anyway and i assume it relates to the length of the original text...one would assume, timewise, it's a fairly similar commitment anyway...

in connection with this, apparently the audiobook of mythos, narrated by fry, is excellent for anyone interested...

e
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby UncertainSloth » Jan 06, 2018 7:19 pm

1. notes from the upside down: inside the world of stranger things - guy adams - 4/5
2. mythos - stephen fry - 5/5
3. how to stop time - matt haig - 5/5....love his writing, discovered him last year with the humans, which is fab, and this is just as good...apparently in production as a film with bernardo camembarm so will look forward to that...good start to the year...

e
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby I'm With Stupid » Jan 06, 2018 7:36 pm

So....is anyone gonna read the Trump book?
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Animavore » Jan 06, 2018 8:16 pm

I'm definitely going to do this this year. I mean it this time.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13  Postby UncertainSloth » Jan 06, 2018 8:59 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:So....is anyone gonna read the Trump book?

nah, i prefer fiction... :smoke:

e
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby UncertainSloth » Jan 07, 2018 12:21 am

3. how to stop time - matt haig - 5/5
4. fever dream - samanta schweblin - 4/5- reminded me of juan rulfo's pedro paramo that i read last year but slightly more accessible...i liked the way this horror novella was structured and it leaves an awful lot to the reader's interpretation...gets 4/5 basically because i would have liked more of it...was part of a selection of booker prize and international booker books i got for fall for xmas and this one was a decent choice...;)

e
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Fallible » Jan 07, 2018 9:45 am

I'm going to try for 50 again this year. Think I will also add a short comment and a picture, as I enjoy that about others' lists.

1. The Unseen - Roy Jacobsen.

A sparsely written novel following the lives of family members inhabiting a Norwegian island, and their struggle to survive and better their lot in the harsh conditions. 4/5.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby NamelessFaceless » Jan 07, 2018 5:46 pm

minininja wrote:What say you on audiobooks? I've mostly been listening rather than reading lately.

I do both. I like to listen to a book while I garden, or while I'm driving, so I include those books. Amazon Prime has a decent list of classics available on audiobook for only 99 cents (US), so I've been taking advantage. I also frequently use the text-to-speech feature on my Kindle and let it read the book to me, but only for non-fiction. I also sometimes go back and forth between reading and listening on my Kindle, but if I listened to the majority of the book, I list it as an audiobook on my list.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby NamelessFaceless » Jan 07, 2018 5:48 pm

Audiobooks in Italics.

1. The Phantom of the Opera - Gaston Leroux
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby I'm With Stupid » Jan 07, 2018 6:27 pm

UncertainSloth wrote:1. notes from the upside down: inside the world of stranger things - guy adams - 4/5
3. how to stop time - matt haig - 5/5
4. fever dream - samanta schweblin - 4/5- reminded me of juan rulfo's pedro paramo that i read last year but slightly more accessible...i liked the way this horror novella was structured and it leaves an awful lot to the reader's interpretation...gets 4/5 basically because i would have liked more of it...was part of a selection of booker prize and international booker books i got for fall for xmas and this one was a decent choice...;)

So a week into the year, Mr. "I don't have any time this year" is currently on course for 208 books. ;)
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#19  Postby UncertainSloth » Jan 07, 2018 6:31 pm

ah, but i;m still on my chrimbo hols from school - back at work tomorrow so i'll be reduced to what i read in the bath in the mornings...;)

e
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Animavore » Jan 07, 2018 8:22 pm

Ugh! Guess what book my girlfriend thought it would be funny to buy me?

:yuk:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Books