Book Challenge Thread 2019

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one

Discuss books here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Book Challenge Thread 2019

#321  Postby don't get me started » Nov 13, 2019 1:24 pm

Congrats UncertainSloth on reaching 50 books.
Good job :cheers:
Even though I probably won't get round to reading any of the books on your list, the titles alone are a prod to the imagination.
don't get me started
 
Posts: 934

Country: Japan
Japan (jp)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Book Challenge Thread 2019

#322  Postby UncertainSloth » Nov 13, 2019 3:07 pm

:cheers:

why, thank you, squire...the feeling is reciprocated....i'm trying to engage with more non-fiction, perhaps next year i'll aim for 50/50

got a brilliant one as my kindle book at the moment, actually....
i guess i could be a quiet hero
no one knows the good i've done

e
User avatar
UncertainSloth
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 3105
Age: 46
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Book Challenge Thread 2019

#323  Postby crazyfitter » Nov 14, 2019 8:11 pm

1. Long Road From Jarrow - Stuart Maconie
2. Death Without Company - Craig Johnson
3. The Shortest History of Germany - James Hawes
4. The Last Coyote - Michael Connelly
5. Kindness Goes Unpunished - Craig Johnson
6. Lethal White - Robert Galbraith
7. The Girl in the Woods - Camilla Lackberg
8. Making Sense: The Glamorous Story of English Grammar – David Crystal
9. Another Man's Moccasins - Craig Johnson
10. Austerity. The Demolition of the Welfare State and the rise of the Zombie Economy - Kerry-Anne Mendoza
11. Space Opera - Catherynne M. Valente. I’ve abandoned this book at 90%. Please don’t waste your life with it.
12. The Steerswoman - Rosemary Kirsten
13. The Outskirters Secret - Rosemary Kirsten
14. The Lost Steersman - Rosemary Kirsten
15. The Language of Power - Rosemary Kirsten. Looking forward to the next 2 when published.
16. Personal - Lee Child
17. And The Weak Suffer What They Must? - Yanis Varoufakis
18. The Birdcage - Clive Aslet
19. Semiosis - Sue Burke
20. The Art of War - Sun Tzu
21. Light - M. John Harrison
22. Past Tense - Lee Child
23. Nobody Walks - Mick Herron
24. London Rules - Mick Herron
25. The Death And Life Of Bobby Z - Don Winslow
26. The Good Detective - John McMahon
27. Transcription - Kate Atkinson
28. Permafrost - Alastair Reynolds
29. The Thieves of Manhattan - Adam Langer
30. The Clockmakers Daughter - Kate Morton
31. Underland - Robert Macfarlane
32. Let Go My Hand - Edward Docx
33. A Question of Blood - Ian Rankin
34. Rama II - Arthur C Clarke
35. Erebus. The Story of a Ship - Michael Palin
36. The Parisian - Isabella Hammad
37. The Devil’s Star - Jo Nesbo. Reread
38. The Leopard - Jo Nesbo. Reread
39. Headhunters - Jo Nesbo. Reread
40. Humans - Tom Phillips
41. All Together Now - Mike Carter
42. The Jewel in the Crown - Paul Scott
43. Spin - Robert Charles Wilson
44. Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency - Douglas Adams reread
45. The Anarchy - William Dalrymple
46. A Long Finish - Michael Dibdin Reread
47. Warship - Joshua Dalzelle
48. Call to Arms - Joshua Dalzelle
49. Counter strike - Joshua Dalzelle
50. the man who didn’t call - Rosie Walsh
crazyfitter
 
Posts: 710
Male

Country: England
England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Book Challenge Thread 2019

#324  Postby UncertainSloth » Nov 14, 2019 9:43 pm

welcome aboard the good ship '50', sir! :cheers:
i guess i could be a quiet hero
no one knows the good i've done

e
User avatar
UncertainSloth
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 3105
Age: 46
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Book Challenge Thread 2019

#325  Postby don't get me started » Nov 14, 2019 11:28 pm

Nice work crazyfitter... I've enjoyed looking through your reading list. It has prompted a couple of purchases and items on the wish list. We seem to have an intersection of books we enjoy. :cheers:

In response to your post about French classes being abominable, same here. In one ear and out t' other :roll: :?
Although at least we actually studied the language. A mate told me that at his school there was a special class for those perceived to be chronically linguistically ungifted, euphemistically titled 'French Studies'. One test answer achieved mythical status in the staff-room: 'In 1066 Charles de Gaulle crossed the channel and surrendered to Henry VIII, thus founding the Common Market.'

I've got two books on the go at the moment- a heavy duty linguistics book and a/an (?) SF novel. I wonder which one will get me over the line.
don't get me started
 
Posts: 934

Country: Japan
Japan (jp)
Print view this post

Re: Book Challenge Thread 2019

#326  Postby crazyfitter » Nov 15, 2019 10:37 pm

Thanks you guys. Can’t believe I’ve made it to 50 and it’s still November, best I’ve ever done. I find it incredible that I’ve met with people, and worked with some who don’t have a single book in the house. Worst of all they have families.
I was having a think about my favourite fiction writers and came up with this list in no particular order nor writ in stone.
Michael Connelly detective series based in California.
John Connolly, his Charlie Parker series set around Portland.
Don Winslow California gangsters.
James Lee Burke detective series set in Baton Rouge-Lafayette area. Superb atmospheric descriptions of the area from the Spanish moss hanging in old oak trees to the bass rising in the bayou’s. Can’t complement him enough.
Mick Herron the slow horses series. London spies and better I think than John le Carre’s books.
Iain M Banks has to be in there but I have never been too keen on his non sci fi books.
Jo Nesbo set in Oslo mostly and featuring Harry Hole the alki detective. Can’t wait to start his latest book Knife.
Any way it’s an expensive time of the year and I’m going to have a rummage through the 2000 I have on my old laptop see what I can find. :cheers:
crazyfitter
 
Posts: 710
Male

Country: England
England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Book Challenge Thread 2019

#327  Postby Blip » Nov 16, 2019 9:36 am

1. Bang!: The Complete History of the Universe by Brian May, Patrick Moore and Chris Lintott
2. Unsheltered by Barbara Kingsolver
3. Wakenhyrst by Michelle Paver
4. Experimental Film by Gemma Files
5. Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney
6. The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen
7. The Green Road by Anne Enright
8. Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín
9. The Man Who Spoke Snakish by Andrus Kivirähk, translated by Christopher Moseley
10. The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry
11. Hope: A Tragedy by Shalom Auslander
12. West by Carys Davies
13. The Overstory by Richard Powers
14. Quichotte by Salman Rushdie
15. The Testaments by Margaret Atwood
16. Round Ireland with a Fridge by Tony Hawks
17. Black Leopard Red Wolf by Marlon James

And congratulations to crazyfitter and UncertainSloth for passing the 50 mark. :cheers:
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
User avatar
Blip
Moderator
 
Posts: 20494
Female

Country: United Kingdom
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Book Challenge Thread 2019

#328  Postby UncertainSloth » Nov 16, 2019 9:36 pm

cheers, blipster :cheers: - good to see Essex serpent on your list....

1. the twisted tree - rachel burge - 6/10
2. mr splitfoot - samantha hunt - 5/10
3. a wayne in a manger - gervaise phinn - 5/10
4. the moor - sam haysom - 8/10
5. the general theory of haunting - richard easter - 9/10
6. angry people in local newspapers - alistair coleman- 8/10
7. who let the gods out? - maz evans - 6/10
8. a house of ghosts - w.c. ryan - 8/10
9. a winter haunting - dan simmons - 8/10
10. cunk on everything - philomena cunk - 8/10
11. whistle in the dark - emma healey - 9/10
12. the priest hole - amy cross
13. the book of hidden things - francesco dimitri - 8/10
14. the corset - sarah purcell - 9/10
15, the lighthouse - alison moore - 7/10

16a*comfort break - abandoned - carol mcmahon...so much potential, so little good - kindle novelette...
16b*before you wake - adam nevill - 3 short stories - 8/10 -
16c*moorehead manor - some bloke - meh...there;s a half decent idea in there somewhere but this author didn't find it....

17. the passage- justin cronin - 10/10 - awesomesauce...
18. hidden company -s e england - 8/10
19. dark isle - david longhorn- 6/10
20. white tears - hari kunzru - 8/10
21. the lucifer chord - fg cottam -7/10
22. the wonder - emma donoghue -8/10...
23. speak - louisa hall - 9/10
24. rotherweird - andrew caldecott- 9/10
25. wakenhyrst- michelle paver-10/10
26. lanny -max porter-9/10
27. the hoarder - jess kidd - 8/10
28. lud in the mist - hope mirrlees - 8/10
29. underland - robert macfarlane - awesome/10
30. the summer we all ran away - cassandra parkin - 8/10
31. the lingering - sj holliday - 8/10
32. the dead men stood together - 8/10
33. elevation - stephen king - 8/10
34. in the night wood - dale bailey - 10/10
35. edgar & lucy - victor lodato - 10/10
36. the glass woman - caroline lea - 8/10
37. how to be right in a world gone wrong - james o'brien - 8/10
38. the enchanted - rene denfeld - 9/10
39. grief is the thing with feathers - max porter - 9/10
40. humans - a brief history of how we fucked it all up - tom phillips - 9/10
41. the asshole survival guide - robert sutton- 7/10
42. the ghost of lily painter - caitlin davies - 8/10
43. haverscroft - sa harris - 8/10
44. don't look back - ben cheetham - 8/10
45. the warlow experiment - alix somebody - 7/10
46. house of windows - john langan - 10/10
47. the jolly corner - henry james - 8/10
48. the bone clocks - david Mitchell - 10/10
49. the auguries - fg cottam - 6/10
50. the reddening - adam nevill - 9/10
51. paperbacks from hell - grady Hendrix - 9/10 - awesome whistlestop tour through the development of horror fiction in the 70s and 80s - so many books I read from the library as a teenager and a few I haven't that are making their way onto my kindle...

Image
i guess i could be a quiet hero
no one knows the good i've done

e
User avatar
UncertainSloth
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 3105
Age: 46
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Book Challenge Thread 2019

#329  Postby Fallible » Nov 19, 2019 11:30 pm

1. The Terror - Dan Simmons.
2. Milkman - Anna Burns.
3. The Long Take - Robin Robertson.
4. The Witchfinder's Sister - Beth Underdown.
5. The Tattooist of Auschwitz - Heather Morris.
6. Bellman & Black - Dianne Setterfield.
7. The Outrun - Amy Liptrot.
8. Origin - Dan Brown.
9. Bodies of Water - V.H. Leslie.
10. The Fireman - Joe Hill.
11. Melmoth - Sarah Perry.
12. Devil's Day - Andrew Michael Hurley.
13. Imagine Me Gone - Adam Haslett.
14. Slade House - David Mitchell.
15. Fire and Blood: 300 Years Before A Game of Thrones (A Targaryen History) - George R.R. Martin.
16. Arrowood - Laura McHugh.
17. The Hoarder - Jess Kidd.
18. Wakenhyrst - Michelle Paver.
19. The Leftovers - Tom Perrotta.
20. How to be Right - James O’Brien.
21. Chavs: the Demonisation of the Working Class - Owen Jones.
22. Number 11 - Jonathan Coe.
23. The Warlow Experiment - Alix Nathan.
24. The Gatekeeper - Russ Kane. Garbage.
25. In the Night Wood - Dale Bailey.
26. Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology - Leah Remini.
27. The Green Man - Kingsley Amis.
28. The Handmaid’s Tale - Margaret Atwood. Re-read
29. The Institute - Stephen King.
30. White Fragility:Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism - Robin DiAngelo.
31. The House of Sleep - Jonathan Coe.
32. Books, Baguettes and Bedbugs: the Left Bank World of Shakespeare and Co. - Jeremy Mercer. Self-indulgent claptrap.
Sorry that you think you had it rough in the first world.
You ought to get out a map sooner than later.
Knowledge has turned into a trap; you have to slow down.
Get out of your head and spend less time alone.
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 49451
Age: 46
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Book Challenge Thread 2019

#330  Postby crazyfitter » Nov 20, 2019 11:58 am

1. Long Road From Jarrow - Stuart Maconie
2. Death Without Company - Craig Johnson
3. The Shortest History of Germany - James Hawes
4. The Last Coyote - Michael Connelly
5. Kindness Goes Unpunished - Craig Johnson
6. Lethal White - Robert Galbraith
7. The Girl in the Woods - Camilla Lackberg
8. Making Sense: The Glamorous Story of English Grammar – David Crystal
9. Another Man's Moccasins - Craig Johnson
10. Austerity. The Demolition of the Welfare State and the rise of the Zombie Economy - Kerry-Anne Mendoza
11. Space Opera - Catherynne M. Valente. I’ve abandoned this book at 90%. Please don’t waste your life with it.
12. The Steerswoman - Rosemary Kirsten
13. The Outskirters Secret - Rosemary Kirsten
14. The Lost Steersman - Rosemary Kirsten
15. The Language of Power - Rosemary Kirsten. Looking forward to the next 2 when published.
16. Personal - Lee Child
17. And The Weak Suffer What They Must? - Yanis Varoufakis
18. The Birdcage - Clive Aslet
19. Semiosis - Sue Burke
20. The Art of War - Sun Tzu
21. Light - M. John Harrison
22. Past Tense - Lee Child
23. Nobody Walks - Mick Herron
24. London Rules - Mick Herron
25. The Death And Life Of Bobby Z - Don Winslow
26. The Good Detective - John McMahon
27. Transcription - Kate Atkinson
28. Permafrost - Alastair Reynolds
29. The Thieves of Manhattan - Adam Langer
30. The Clockmakers Daughter - Kate Morton
31. Underland - Robert Macfarlane
32. Let Go My Hand - Edward Docx
33. A Question of Blood - Ian Rankin
34. Rama II - Arthur C Clarke
35. Erebus. The Story of a Ship - Michael Palin
36. The Parisian - Isabella Hammad
37. The Devil’s Star - Jo Nesbo. Reread
38. The Leopard - Jo Nesbo. Reread
39. Headhunters - Jo Nesbo. Reread
40. Humans - Tom Phillips
41. All Together Now - Mike Carter
42. The Jewel in the Crown - Paul Scott
43. Spin - Robert Charles Wilson
44. Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency - Douglas Adams reread
45. The Anarchy - William Dalrymple
46. A Long Finish - Michael Dibdin Reread
47. Warship - Joshua Dalzelle
48. Call to Arms - Joshua Dalzelle
49. Counter strike - Joshua Dalzelle
50. the man who didn’t call - Rosie Walsh
51. The Paths Between Worlds - Paul Antony Jones
crazyfitter
 
Posts: 710
Male

Country: England
England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Book Challenge Thread 2019

#331  Postby NamelessFaceless » Nov 20, 2019 3:55 pm

Audiobooks in Italics

1. The Hound of the Baskervilles - Arthur Conan Doyle
2. The Secret Adversary - Agatha Christie
3. The Quiet American - Graham Greene
4. Baltimore Blues - Laura Lippman
5. People Who Eat Darkness: The True Story of a Young Woman Who Vanished From the Streets of Tokyo - And The Evil That Swallowed Her Up - Richard Lloyd Parry
6. Miao Dao - Joyce Carol Oates
7. Catch Me if You Can - Frank W. Abegnale
8. Some Do Not . . . - Ford Madox Ford
9. Mafia Prince - Phillip Leonetti, Scott Burnstein, and Christopher Graziano
10. Alex Rider: Skeleton Key - Anthony Horowitz
11. No More Parades - Ford Madox Ford
12. A Man Could Stand Up - Ford Madox Ford
13. The Mystery of Edwin Drood - Charles Dickens
14. Animal Farm - George Orwell
15. Bloodchild and Other Stories - Octavia E. Butler
16. The End of Eternity - Isaac Asimov
17. Shards of Honor - Lois McMaster Bujold
18. Last Post - Ford Madox Ford
19. Farewell: The Greatest Spy Story of the Twentieth Century - Sergei Kostin, Eric Raynaud
20. A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
21. A Higher Call - Adam Makos
22. Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen
23. What It Is Like to Go to War - Karl Marlantes
24. Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens
25. SEAL Team Six - Howard E. Wasdin, Stephen Templin

26. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
27. Goodbye, Darkness - William Manchester
28. Silas Marner - George Eliot
29. Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy
30. The Magdalen Girls - V.S. Alexander
31. Ivanhoe - Sir Walter Scott
32. Finegan's Wake - James Joyce :dance: :dance: :dance:
33. Finegan's Wake: A Plot Summary - John Gordon :dopey:
34. All the Lasting Things - David Hopson
35. The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
36. The Book of the Unnamed Midwife - Meg Elison
37. The Satanic Verses - Salmon Rushdie
38. The Legends of King Arthur and His Knights - Sir James Knowles
39. Walden - Henry David Thoreau
40. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey
41. Arrowsmith - Sinclair Lewis
42. Fear - L. Ron Hubbard
43. The Time Machine - H.G. Wells
44. The Body in the Dales - J.R. Ellis
45. Those Who Wander: America's Lost Street Kids - Vivian Ho
46. Little Women - Louisa May Alcott
47. The Testaments - Margaret Atwood
48. Disturbed - Jennifer Jaynes
49. Jacob's Room - Virginia Woolf
50. The Castle of Otranto - Horace Walpole
51. A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute
52. Doctrine & Covenants - Joseph Smith, et al (I've been reading this a little at a time for the last 2-3 years, but I finally finished it!)
53. The King in Yellow - Robert W. Chambers
54. The Lady With the Dog and Other Stories - Anton Chekhov
User avatar
NamelessFaceless
 
Posts: 6051
Female

Country: USA (Pensacola, FL)
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Book Challenge Thread 2019

#332  Postby don't get me started » Nov 21, 2019 5:46 am

1. Complex Systems and Applied Linguistics – Dianne Larsen-Freeman & Lynne Cameron
2. Around the World in 80 Words: A Journey Through the English language – Paul Anthony Jones
3. Cognitive Linguistic analysis of Visual Perception Verbs in Natural Language- With Special Reference to English Verbs ‘Look’ and See’ - Mika Kubota
4. Reporting Talk: Reported Speech in Interaction - Elizabeth Holt & Rebecca Clift (Eds.)
5. Making Sense: The Glamorous Story of English Grammar – David Crystal
6.Writing Systems - Geoffrey Sampson
7. 世界の中で、愛をさけぶ。片山恭一
8. Writing Systems of the World: Alphabets, Syllabaries, Pictograms – Akira Nakanishi
9. Flashman at the Charge - George MacDonald Fraser
10. On Bullshit - Harry G. Frankfurt
11. Babel: Around the World in Twenty Languages - Gaston Dorren
12. Uneasy Rider - Mike Carter
13. Talk on the Wild Side: Why language Can't be Tamed - Lane Greene
14. Military Blunders - Saul David
15. Proxima - Stephen Baxter
16. Aliens: Science Asks: Is there Anyone out There? - Jim Al-Khalili (Ed)
17. American Notes - Charles Dickens
18. Four Words for Friend: Why Using More than One Language Matters Now More Than Ever - Marek Kohn
19. Ultima - Srephen Baxter
20. Fuzzy Grammar: A Reader - Bas Aarts, David Denison, Evelein Keizer & Gergana Popova (Eds)
21. Strange Weather in Tokyo - Hiromi Kawakami (Trans Allison Markin Powell)
22. Linguistics: Why it Matters = Geoffrey Pullum
23. Stalag Luft III: The Secret Story - Arthur A. Durand
24. Bodies and their parts: An NSM approach to semantic typology - Anna Wierzbicka
25. Towards a Cognitive Semantics. Vol II Typology and process in Concept Structuring - Leonard Talmy
26. On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth century - Timothy Snyder
27. Common Discourse particles in English Conversation Lawrence C. Schourop
28. The Long Road Home: The Aftermath of the Second World War - Ben Shephard
29. Another Fine Mess: Across the USA in a Ford Model T - Tim Moore
30. Quotatives: New Trends and Sociolinguistic Implications - Isabelle Buchstaller
31. Count and Mass Across Languages - Diane Massam (ed.)
32. Upheaval: Turning Points for Nations in Crisis. - Jared Diamond
33. Forgotten Victims: The Abandonment of Americans in Hitler's Camps - Mitchell G Bard
34. Republic of Lies: American Conspiracy Theorists and their Surprising Rise to Power - Anna Merlan
35. Humans: A Brief History of How We Fucked It All Up - Tom Phillips
36. All Together Now: One Man's Walk in Search of His Father and a Lost England - Mike Carter
37. Meaning and the English Verb - Geoffrey Leech
38. Count us In: How to Make Maths Real for all of Us - Gareth Ffowc Roberts
39. The Oxford Introduction to Proto-Indo-European and the Proto-Indo-European World - J.P. Mallory and D.Q. Adams.
40. Don't Believe a Word: The Surprising Truth about language - David ShariatMadari
41. The Accidental Dictionary: The Remarkable Twists and Turns of English Words - Pail Anthony Jones
42. That's not English: Britishisms, Americanisms and what our English says about US - Erin Moor
43. A Short History of Drunkenness: How, Why, Where and When Humankind Has Got Merry from the Stone Age to the Present - Mark Forsyth
44. The Five Minute Linguist: Bite Sized Essays on Language and Linguistics - Caroline Myrick & Walt Wolfram (Eds).
45. The Origin of Language: Tracing the Evolution of the Mother Tongue - Merritt Ruhlen
46. Learner English: A Teacher's Guide to Interference and Other Problems - Michael Swan & Bernard Smith (Eds.)
47. Matter - Iain M Banks
48. The Not Terribly Good Book of Heroic Failures - Stephen Pile
49. Spin - Robert Charles Wilson]

50. Rethinking Universals: How Rarities Affect Linguistic Theory - Jan Wohlgemuth and Michael Cysouw (Eds.)

287 pp.

This was an absolutely fascinating book with a wealth of data from a mind boggling variety of languages. The theme of the book is looking for features of languages that only pop up rarely across the world. The first two chapters dealt with various number/counting systems and would have been worth the price of the book alone. There is a general tendency for base five, ten or twenty in counting systems (not surprising, seeing as fingers and toes are the go to resource for counting in humans) but there are languages that use different bases and some languages have a 'one, two, many' counting system.

There is also a chapter on 'negatives without negators.' Some Dravidian languages of South India carry out negation not by having a word for 'not' or such like, but by merely omitting the tense marking that is present in affirmatives.The negative is expressed in simpler terms than the positive in these languages, which seems completely counter intuitive to speakers of languages like English, German or Japanese. In these languages the compound form 'first person singular marker, tacked onto the base form of the verb with no tense marking comes out as a negative. I see = 'I do not/ did/ will not see' because there is no marking for any tense, but 'I saw' and 'I will see' are both to be interpreted as affirmative because of the presence of tense marking. (p.170.) There is no word that indicates 'not' and negation is conveyed by absence of something...which kind of makes sense once you think about it...
Wow.


It doesn't have to be obscure languages of Amazonia that have 'rare' features. English has its own share of peculiarities. The 'th' sounds (voiced and invoiced - 'thick' and 'this') of English are pretty rare phonemes in languages of the world and the counting system has a few oddities: 'Eleven and twelve' not 'Oneteen, twoteen.)

I've got the companion volume to this, by the same editors and am looking forward to getting stuck into Sinhalese plural marking, Georgian consonant clusters and Hungarian colour terms. I'm just fascinated by the sheer variety of ways that languages go about the business of encoding meaning.

This reminds me never to take my own language for granted and never underestimate how challenging learning English is for my students.
don't get me started
 
Posts: 934

Country: Japan
Japan (jp)
Print view this post

Re: Book Challenge Thread 2019

#333  Postby Fallible » Nov 23, 2019 1:27 am

1. The Terror - Dan Simmons.
2. Milkman - Anna Burns.
3. The Long Take - Robin Robertson.
4. The Witchfinder's Sister - Beth Underdown.
5. The Tattooist of Auschwitz - Heather Morris.
6. Bellman & Black - Dianne Setterfield.
7. The Outrun - Amy Liptrot.
8. Origin - Dan Brown.
9. Bodies of Water - V.H. Leslie.
10. The Fireman - Joe Hill.
11. Melmoth - Sarah Perry.
12. Devil's Day - Andrew Michael Hurley.
13. Imagine Me Gone - Adam Haslett.
14. Slade House - David Mitchell.
15. Fire and Blood: 300 Years Before A Game of Thrones (A Targaryen History) - George R.R. Martin.
16. Arrowood - Laura McHugh.
17. The Hoarder - Jess Kidd.
18. Wakenhyrst - Michelle Paver.
19. The Leftovers - Tom Perrotta.
20. How to be Right - James O’Brien.
21. Chavs: the Demonisation of the Working Class - Owen Jones.
22. Number 11 - Jonathan Coe.
23. The Warlow Experiment - Alix Nathan.
24. The Gatekeeper - Russ Kane. Garbage.
25. In the Night Wood - Dale Bailey.
26. Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology - Leah Remini.
27. The Green Man - Kingsley Amis.
28. The Handmaid’s Tale - Margaret Atwood. Re-read
29. The Institute - Stephen King.
30. White Fragility:Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism - Robin DiAngelo.
31. The House of Sleep - Jonathan Coe.
32. Books, Baguettes and Bedbugs: the Left Bank World of Shakespeare and Co. - Jeremy Mercer.
33. She Said - Jodi Kantor & Megan Twohey.
Sorry that you think you had it rough in the first world.
You ought to get out a map sooner than later.
Knowledge has turned into a trap; you have to slow down.
Get out of your head and spend less time alone.
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 49451
Age: 46
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Book Challenge Thread 2019

#334  Postby Fallible » Nov 25, 2019 8:20 am

1. The Terror - Dan Simmons.
2. Milkman - Anna Burns.
3. The Long Take - Robin Robertson.
4. The Witchfinder's Sister - Beth Underdown.
5. The Tattooist of Auschwitz - Heather Morris.
6. Bellman & Black - Dianne Setterfield.
7. The Outrun - Amy Liptrot.
8. Origin - Dan Brown.
9. Bodies of Water - V.H. Leslie.
10. The Fireman - Joe Hill.
11. Melmoth - Sarah Perry.
12. Devil's Day - Andrew Michael Hurley.
13. Imagine Me Gone - Adam Haslett.
14. Slade House - David Mitchell.
15. Fire and Blood: 300 Years Before A Game of Thrones (A Targaryen History) - George R.R. Martin.
16. Arrowood - Laura McHugh.
17. The Hoarder - Jess Kidd.
18. Wakenhyrst - Michelle Paver.
19. The Leftovers - Tom Perrotta.
20. How to be Right - James O’Brien.
21. Chavs: the Demonisation of the Working Class - Owen Jones.
22. Number 11 - Jonathan Coe.
23. The Warlow Experiment - Alix Nathan.
24. The Gatekeeper - Russ Kane. Garbage.
25. In the Night Wood - Dale Bailey.
26. Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology - Leah Remini.
27. The Green Man - Kingsley Amis.
28. The Handmaid’s Tale - Margaret Atwood. Re-read
29. The Institute - Stephen King.
30. White Fragility:Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism - Robin DiAngelo.
31. The House of Sleep - Jonathan Coe.
32. Books, Baguettes and Bedbugs: the Left Bank World of Shakespeare and Co. - Jeremy Mercer.
33. She Said - Jodi Kantor & Megan Twohey.
34. Brave - Rose McGowan.
Sorry that you think you had it rough in the first world.
You ought to get out a map sooner than later.
Knowledge has turned into a trap; you have to slow down.
Get out of your head and spend less time alone.
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 49451
Age: 46
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Book Challenge Thread 2019

#335  Postby UncertainSloth » Nov 25, 2019 9:07 pm

1. the twisted tree - rachel burge - 6/10
2. mr splitfoot - samantha hunt - 5/10
3. a wayne in a manger - gervaise phinn - 5/10
4. the moor - sam haysom - 8/10
5. the general theory of haunting - richard easter - 9/10
6. angry people in local newspapers - alistair coleman- 8/10
7. who let the gods out? - maz evans - 6/10
8. a house of ghosts - w.c. ryan - 8/10
9. a winter haunting - dan simmons - 8/10
10. cunk on everything - philomena cunk - 8/10
11. whistle in the dark - emma healey - 9/10
12. the priest hole - amy cross
13. the book of hidden things - francesco dimitri - 8/10
14. the corset - sarah purcell - 9/10
15, the lighthouse - alison moore - 7/10

16a*comfort break - abandoned - carol mcmahon...so much potential, so little good - kindle novelette...
16b*before you wake - adam nevill - 3 short stories - 8/10 -
16c*moorehead manor - some bloke - meh...there;s a half decent idea in there somewhere but this author didn't find it....

17. the passage- justin cronin - 10/10 - awesomesauce...
18. hidden company -s e england - 8/10
19. dark isle - david longhorn- 6/10
20. white tears - hari kunzru - 8/10
21. the lucifer chord - fg cottam -7/10
22. the wonder - emma donoghue -8/10...
23. speak - louisa hall - 9/10
24. rotherweird - andrew caldecott- 9/10
25. wakenhyrst- michelle paver-10/10
26. lanny -max porter-9/10
27. the hoarder - jess kidd - 8/10
28. lud in the mist - hope mirrlees - 8/10
29. underland - robert macfarlane - awesome/10
30. the summer we all ran away - cassandra parkin - 8/10
31. the lingering - sj holliday - 8/10
32. the dead men stood together - 8/10
33. elevation - stephen king - 8/10
34. in the night wood - dale bailey - 10/10
35. edgar & lucy - victor lodato - 10/10
36. the glass woman - caroline lea - 8/10
37. how to be right in a world gone wrong - james o'brien - 8/10
38. the enchanted - rene denfeld - 9/10
39. grief is the thing with feathers - max porter - 9/10
40. humans - a brief history of how we fucked it all up - tom phillips - 9/10
41. the asshole survival guide - robert sutton- 7/10
42. the ghost of lily painter - caitlin davies - 8/10
43. haverscroft - sa harris - 8/10
44. don't look back - ben cheetham - 8/10
45. the warlow experiment - alix somebody - 7/10
46. house of windows - john langan - 10/10
47. the jolly corner - henry james - 8/10
48. the bone clocks - david Mitchell - 10/10
49. the auguries - fg cottam - 6/10
50. the reddening - adam nevill - 9/10
51. paperbacks from hell - grady Hendrix - 9/10
52. we don't go back: a watcher' guide to folk horror - howard ingham - 10/10 - even better - excellent dissection of some outstanding film and tv...

Image
i guess i could be a quiet hero
no one knows the good i've done

e
User avatar
UncertainSloth
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 3105
Age: 46
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Book Challenge Thread 2019

#336  Postby UncertainSloth » Nov 25, 2019 9:09 pm

don't get me started wrote:1. Complex Systems and Applied Linguistics – Dianne Larsen-Freeman & Lynne Cameron
2. Around the World in 80 Words: A Journey Through the English language – Paul Anthony Jones
3. Cognitive Linguistic analysis of Visual Perception Verbs in Natural Language- With Special Reference to English Verbs ‘Look’ and See’ - Mika Kubota
4. Reporting Talk: Reported Speech in Interaction - Elizabeth Holt & Rebecca Clift (Eds.)
5. Making Sense: The Glamorous Story of English Grammar – David Crystal
6.Writing Systems - Geoffrey Sampson
7. 世界の中で、愛をさけぶ。片山恭一
8. Writing Systems of the World: Alphabets, Syllabaries, Pictograms – Akira Nakanishi
9. Flashman at the Charge - George MacDonald Fraser
10. On Bullshit - Harry G. Frankfurt
11. Babel: Around the World in Twenty Languages - Gaston Dorren
12. Uneasy Rider - Mike Carter
13. Talk on the Wild Side: Why language Can't be Tamed - Lane Greene
14. Military Blunders - Saul David
15. Proxima - Stephen Baxter
16. Aliens: Science Asks: Is there Anyone out There? - Jim Al-Khalili (Ed)
17. American Notes - Charles Dickens
18. Four Words for Friend: Why Using More than One Language Matters Now More Than Ever - Marek Kohn
19. Ultima - Srephen Baxter
20. Fuzzy Grammar: A Reader - Bas Aarts, David Denison, Evelein Keizer & Gergana Popova (Eds)
21. Strange Weather in Tokyo - Hiromi Kawakami (Trans Allison Markin Powell)
22. Linguistics: Why it Matters = Geoffrey Pullum
23. Stalag Luft III: The Secret Story - Arthur A. Durand
24. Bodies and their parts: An NSM approach to semantic typology - Anna Wierzbicka
25. Towards a Cognitive Semantics. Vol II Typology and process in Concept Structuring - Leonard Talmy
26. On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth century - Timothy Snyder
27. Common Discourse particles in English Conversation Lawrence C. Schourop
28. The Long Road Home: The Aftermath of the Second World War - Ben Shephard
29. Another Fine Mess: Across the USA in a Ford Model T - Tim Moore
30. Quotatives: New Trends and Sociolinguistic Implications - Isabelle Buchstaller
31. Count and Mass Across Languages - Diane Massam (ed.)
32. Upheaval: Turning Points for Nations in Crisis. - Jared Diamond
33. Forgotten Victims: The Abandonment of Americans in Hitler's Camps - Mitchell G Bard
34. Republic of Lies: American Conspiracy Theorists and their Surprising Rise to Power - Anna Merlan
35. Humans: A Brief History of How We Fucked It All Up - Tom Phillips
36. All Together Now: One Man's Walk in Search of His Father and a Lost England - Mike Carter
37. Meaning and the English Verb - Geoffrey Leech
38. Count us In: How to Make Maths Real for all of Us - Gareth Ffowc Roberts
39. The Oxford Introduction to Proto-Indo-European and the Proto-Indo-European World - J.P. Mallory and D.Q. Adams.
40. Don't Believe a Word: The Surprising Truth about language - David ShariatMadari
41. The Accidental Dictionary: The Remarkable Twists and Turns of English Words - Pail Anthony Jones
42. That's not English: Britishisms, Americanisms and what our English says about US - Erin Moor
43. A Short History of Drunkenness: How, Why, Where and When Humankind Has Got Merry from the Stone Age to the Present - Mark Forsyth
44. The Five Minute Linguist: Bite Sized Essays on Language and Linguistics - Caroline Myrick & Walt Wolfram (Eds).
45. The Origin of Language: Tracing the Evolution of the Mother Tongue - Merritt Ruhlen
46. Learner English: A Teacher's Guide to Interference and Other Problems - Michael Swan & Bernard Smith (Eds.)
47. Matter - Iain M Banks
48. The Not Terribly Good Book of Heroic Failures - Stephen Pile
49. Spin - Robert Charles Wilson]

50. Rethinking Universals: How Rarities Affect Linguistic Theory - Jan Wohlgemuth and Michael Cysouw (Eds.)

287 pp.

This was an absolutely fascinating book with a wealth of data from a mind boggling variety of languages. The theme of the book is looking for features of languages that only pop up rarely across the world. The first two chapters dealt with various number/counting systems and would have been worth the price of the book alone. There is a general tendency for base five, ten or twenty in counting systems (not surprising, seeing as fingers and toes are the go to resource for counting in humans) but there are languages that use different bases and some languages have a 'one, two, many' counting system.

There is also a chapter on 'negatives without negators.' Some Dravidian languages of South India carry out negation not by having a word for 'not' or such like, but by merely omitting the tense marking that is present in affirmatives.The negative is expressed in simpler terms than the positive in these languages, which seems completely counter intuitive to speakers of languages like English, German or Japanese. In these languages the compound form 'first person singular marker, tacked onto the base form of the verb with no tense marking comes out as a negative. I see = 'I do not/ did/ will not see' because there is no marking for any tense, but 'I saw' and 'I will see' are both to be interpreted as affirmative because of the presence of tense marking. (p.170.) There is no word that indicates 'not' and negation is conveyed by absence of something...which kind of makes sense once you think about it...
Wow.


It doesn't have to be obscure languages of Amazonia that have 'rare' features. English has its own share of peculiarities. The 'th' sounds (voiced and invoiced - 'thick' and 'this') of English are pretty rare phonemes in languages of the world and the counting system has a few oddities: 'Eleven and twelve' not 'Oneteen, twoteen.)

I've got the companion volume to this, by the same editors and am looking forward to getting stuck into Sinhalese plural marking, Georgian consonant clusters and Hungarian colour terms. I'm just fascinated by the sheer variety of ways that languages go about the business of encoding meaning.

This reminds me never to take my own language for granted and never underestimate how challenging learning English is for my students.


missed this - congrats on hitting the 50! :cheers:
i guess i could be a quiet hero
no one knows the good i've done

e
User avatar
UncertainSloth
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 3105
Age: 46
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Book Challenge Thread 2019

#337  Postby don't get me started » Nov 26, 2019 2:36 am

:cheers: Cheers UncertainSloth :cheers:

I'm pretty pleased to have got to 50 before the end of November...
There have been some pretty hardcore linguistics titles on the list this year. How much has gone in, I can't say, but the reviews I wrote here I've also kept on a separate document for my own reference.
The 50 book challenge is a good motivator to keep me reading and crack open a volume when other distractions beckon.

Time for a few more before the end of the year.
don't get me started
 
Posts: 934

Country: Japan
Japan (jp)
Print view this post

Re: Book Challenge Thread 2019

#338  Postby don't get me started » Nov 26, 2019 2:41 am

1. Complex Systems and Applied Linguistics – Dianne Larsen-Freeman & Lynne Cameron
2. Around the World in 80 Words: A Journey Through the English language – Paul Anthony Jones
3. Cognitive Linguistic analysis of Visual Perception Verbs in Natural Language- With Special Reference to English Verbs ‘Look’ and See’ - Mika Kubota
4. Reporting Talk: Reported Speech in Interaction - Elizabeth Holt & Rebecca Clift (Eds.)
5. Making Sense: The Glamorous Story of English Grammar – David Crystal
6.Writing Systems - Geoffrey Sampson
7. 世界の中で、愛をさけぶ。片山恭一
8. Writing Systems of the World: Alphabets, Syllabaries, Pictograms – Akira Nakanishi
9. Flashman at the Charge - George MacDonald Fraser
10. On Bullshit - Harry G. Frankfurt
11. Babel: Around the World in Twenty Languages - Gaston Dorren
12. Uneasy Rider - Mike Carter
13. Talk on the Wild Side: Why language Can't be Tamed - Lane Greene
14. Military Blunders - Saul David
15. Proxima - Stephen Baxter
16. Aliens: Science Asks: Is there Anyone out There? - Jim Al-Khalili (Ed)
17. American Notes - Charles Dickens
18. Four Words for Friend: Why Using More than One Language Matters Now More Than Ever - Marek Kohn
19. Ultima - Srephen Baxter
20. Fuzzy Grammar: A Reader - Bas Aarts, David Denison, Evelein Keizer & Gergana Popova (Eds)
21. Strange Weather in Tokyo - Hiromi Kawakami (Trans Allison Markin Powell)
22. Linguistics: Why it Matters = Geoffrey Pullum
23. Stalag Luft III: The Secret Story - Arthur A. Durand
24. Bodies and their parts: An NSM approach to semantic typology - Anna Wierzbicka
25. Towards a Cognitive Semantics. Vol II Typology and process in Concept Structuring - Leonard Talmy
26. On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth century - Timothy Snyder
27. Common Discourse particles in English Conversation Lawrence C. Schourop
28. The Long Road Home: The Aftermath of the Second World War - Ben Shephard
29. Another Fine Mess: Across the USA in a Ford Model T - Tim Moore
30. Quotatives: New Trends and Sociolinguistic Implications - Isabelle Buchstaller
31. Count and Mass Across Languages - Diane Massam (ed.)
32. Upheaval: Turning Points for Nations in Crisis. - Jared Diamond
33. Forgotten Victims: The Abandonment of Americans in Hitler's Camps - Mitchell G Bard
34. Republic of Lies: American Conspiracy Theorists and their Surprising Rise to Power - Anna Merlan
35. Humans: A Brief History of How We Fucked It All Up - Tom Phillips
36. All Together Now: One Man's Walk in Search of His Father and a Lost England - Mike Carter
37. Meaning and the English Verb - Geoffrey Leech
38. Count us In: How to Make Maths Real for all of Us - Gareth Ffowc Roberts
39. The Oxford Introduction to Proto-Indo-European and the Proto-Indo-European World - J.P. Mallory and D.Q. Adams.
40. Don't Believe a Word: The Surprising Truth about language - David ShariatMadari
41. The Accidental Dictionary: The Remarkable Twists and Turns of English Words - Pail Anthony Jones
42. That's not English: Britishisms, Americanisms and what our English says about US - Erin Moor
43. A Short History of Drunkenness: How, Why, Where and When Humankind Has Got Merry from the Stone Age to the Present - Mark Forsyth
44. The Five Minute Linguist: Bite Sized Essays on Language and Linguistics - Caroline Myrick & Walt Wolfram (Eds).
45. The Origin of Language: Tracing the Evolution of the Mother Tongue - Merritt Ruhlen
46. Learner English: A Teacher's Guide to Interference and Other Problems - Michael Swan & Bernard Smith (Eds.)
47. Matter - Iain M Banks
48. The Not Terribly Good Book of Heroic Failures - Stephen Pile
49. Spin - Robert Charles Wilson]
50. Rethinking Universals: How Rarities Affect Linguistic Theory - Jan Wohlgemuth and Michael Cysouw (Eds.)

51. Children of Time - Adrian Tchaikovsky

600.pp

I took a chance on this book, needing a distraction from some heavy duty stuff and going mainly on the reviews I had read.
A pretty decent SF novel with some good world building and an interesting conclusion. It dealt with some of the themes that were touched on in no.49 on my list: Deep time and how human-scale perceptions of time are not in any way meaningful when looked at from the cosmological perspective. Another commonality with some of the books on my list this year is the human predilection for making a huge mess out of things and working against our own best interests.
don't get me started
 
Posts: 934

Country: Japan
Japan (jp)
Print view this post

Re: Book Challenge Thread 2019

#339  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 26, 2019 3:14 am

The Oxford Introduction to Proto-Indo-European and the Proto-Indo-European World

Very good book. My nerdy party tricks of guessing words in European languages I don't speak is at least partly derived from this book! :)
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 25241
Age: 43
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Book Challenge Thread 2019

#340  Postby Blip » Nov 26, 2019 1:17 pm

Congrats, don't get me started.

don't get me started wrote:[...]
The 50 book challenge is a good motivator to keep me reading and crack open a volume when other distractions beckon.
[...]


That's it in a nutshell. Although I haven't done so well these last couple of years.
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
User avatar
Blip
Moderator
 
Posts: 20494
Female

Country: United Kingdom
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Books

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest