Book on American Cultural History

My Friend Wants Suggestions ... I Drew a Blank

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Book on American Cultural History

#1  Postby GreatApe » Nov 23, 2011 9:50 am

Hello Fellow Ratskep Readers!

I have a Chinese friend who's looking for a "good" Cultural History of the United States.

Howard Zinn immediately came to my mind, but then I figured "What the Hell!" ... I'll ask you guys for your suggestions and see what you come up with. Anyone read something that's a MUST READ?

Any suggestions? Thanks (in advance) for any help.

--GA
---------------------------------
"Quiero Saber" : Gipsy Kings
GreatApe

Name: GreatApe
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Book on American Cultural History

#2  Postby zulumoose » Nov 23, 2011 10:50 am

Just ask him to watch Forrest Gump.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Wiðercora » Nov 26, 2011 8:01 pm

My girlfriend has a book on US history called - I shit you not - Liberty Power Equality.

I seem to recall the Terry Deary wrote a Horrible Histories book on the US. Look, it has 4-and-a-half stars.

Ah, Horrible Histories. I have the Smashing Saxons and the Vile Victorians signed by the man himself.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby GreatApe » Nov 28, 2011 11:08 am

zulumoose wrote: Just ask him to watch Forrest Gump.

Honestly, I don't think I've met a 20-something year old in China who's NOT seen Forrest Gump -- most of my students are in their 20s and they've all seen it. That movie is HUGE here.!Some of my Chinese friends know that movie better than I do. And I've seen it a lot. Gump is BIG in China (and rightfully so, it's a solid movie), but that doesn't really surprise me ... hearing John Denver's "Country Roads" five million times is not that bad either ... it's the GODDAMN Christmas songs in July (year-round, pretty much) that bug me most!

And, zulu ... you took the easy way out. My friend wants a BOOK ... not a movie! :grin:

Thanks to Wiðercora and quixotecoyote for your ideas. I'll check out your recommendations! Wiðercora, I'm ashamed to say I haven't read anything by Terry Deary, but I'll put that on the TO DO list.

Any more ideas will be greatly appreciated ... I haven't come up with much on my own.

--GA
GreatApe

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby Teuton » Nov 28, 2011 11:24 am

* Halttunen, Karen, ed. A Companion to American Cultural History. Malden, MA: Blackwell, 2008.

* Boyer, Paul S., ed. The Oxford Companion to United States History. New York: Oxford University Press, 2001.
"Perception does not exhaust our contact with reality; we can think too." – Timothy Williamson
Teuton

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#7  Postby GreatApe » Dec 01, 2011 12:59 am

Thanks for you recommendations, Teuton! :cheers:

I'm familiar with "The Oxford Companion" by Boyer but not the Halttunen text. I'll check it out now.

--GA
GreatApe

Male

Print view this post

Return to The Arts & Entertainment