Dead rapper Tupac may go on tour

...as a hologram.

Discuss music related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron, Matt8819, Ironclad

Dead rapper Tupac may go on tour

#1  Postby Shrunk » Apr 18, 2012 1:21 pm

Fresh from its triumphant performance at Coachella, the hologram of Tupac Shakur is in demand for a full-scale tour. Just days after the CGI simulacrum joined Snoop Dogg and Dr Dre at the California festival, the two living rappers' teams are trying to work out whether the projection could accompany them on tour.

The Coachella crowd went wild for Shakur, who appeared to have returned from the dead and rapped both alone and in a duet with Snoop. Although the image was not strictly speaking a hologram – Shakur appeared in two dimensions, not three, using a 19th-century magician's illusion – it was no cheap party trick. According to MTV News, the company that created the hologram charges between $100,000 and $400,000 (£63,000-£251,000) to create the effect, which was produced at Dr Dre's request.

Dre and Snoop now hope to capitalise on that investment. As well as appearing at Coachella's forthcoming second weekend, the Shakur hologram is being prepared for a possible arena tour. The rappers' teams are discussing logistics, the Wall Street Journal reports, with a tour described as "likely but not guaranteed". "One option would be a tour in stadiums, involving other hip-hop stars, including Eminem, 50 Cent and Wiz Khalifa," the Wall Street Journal said. "Alternately, they could stage a more limited tour, featuring only Dre, Snoop Dogg and the virtual Tupac, in smaller arenas."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/ap ... sfeed=true
Last edited by Shrunk on Apr 18, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Dead rapper Tupac may go on tour.

#2  Postby Animavore » Apr 18, 2012 1:36 pm

It was always said that he would return :coffee:
With regard to heretics two points must be observed (heretic and Church).. On their own side there is the sin, whereby they deserve not only to be separated from the Church by excommunication, but also to be severed from the world by death.

- Aquinas.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby John P. M. » Apr 18, 2012 1:44 pm

Yeah, I was writing up a new topic on this perhaps an hour ago, only with the emphasis being on the whole hologram thing, 'cause I thought the future had arrived and no one had told me... :snooty:

Then I did some digging, and the technology they used left me rather unimpressed, at least compared to what I had envisioned.
John P. M.
RS Donator

Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Apr 18, 2012 1:45 pm

If people pay to go and see a hologram they are idiots.
If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Name: Dave
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby mattthomas » Apr 18, 2012 1:46 pm

Wonder how many christians we could convince to part with their material wealth using this technology and a video of jeebus
Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must, just don't quit!

Liverpool victim mentality, so I didn't imagine it!
mattthomas

Name: I banged your tuna
Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby Bribase » Apr 18, 2012 1:54 pm

Can't we use the same technology to help a certain scientist take us on a tour of the universe in his spaceship of the imagination?
Bribase

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Animavore » Apr 18, 2012 2:01 pm

Crocodile Gandhi wrote:If people pay to go and see a hologram they are idiots.

I'm not sure I buy that. It's no different to going to a rave which has a dj effectively playing records of pre-made music and not a genuine 'live' experience. You go for the craic. It's a fun night out. The only difference is this has the novelty of a hologram on stage.
Now. That said. If they're charging exuberant amounts for the pleasure then yes. You are an idiot.
With regard to heretics two points must be observed (heretic and Church).. On their own side there is the sin, whereby they deserve not only to be separated from the Church by excommunication, but also to be severed from the world by death.

- Aquinas.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby John P. M. » Apr 18, 2012 2:06 pm

Technically it's a 2D projection and some (smoke and) mirrors, utilizing the Pepper's ghost illusion.
John P. M.
RS Donator

Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

#9  Postby HughMcB » Apr 18, 2012 2:09 pm

Will he be the star wars type hologram or a star trek type hologram where ladies can pay a large eared man two bars of gold pressed latinum for a weekend with him?
"Call Kenny Loggins...'cuz you're in the Danger Zone" - Archer
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Shrunk » Apr 18, 2012 2:12 pm

Well, I don't know. With all the lip syncing and Autotuning that goes on in concerts these days, this just seems like a logical next step.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#11  Postby HughMcB » Apr 18, 2012 2:16 pm

People pay and go to see projections of light with sound effects all the time.
"Call Kenny Loggins...'cuz you're in the Danger Zone" - Archer
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#12  Postby JoeB » Apr 18, 2012 5:10 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTXO7KGHtjI[/youtube]

Pretty cool technology :P
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." - W. B. Yeats
JoeB
RS Donator

Name: Johan
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Dead rapper Tupac may go on tour

#13  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 18, 2012 5:56 pm

I must admit in HD (1080) on full screen looked pretty impressive.
I wonder when the first stripper will appear?
Myths in islam Women and islam

“Emotional excitement reaches men through tea, tobacco, opium, whisky, and religion.” — George Bernard Shaw (1856 – 1950)

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#14  Postby mraltair » Apr 18, 2012 6:33 pm

John P. M. wrote:Then I did some digging, and the technology they used left me rather unimpressed, at least compared to what I had envisioned.

I was the same. I was so impressed with the detail then found out what Pepper's Ghost is and quickly went back to my childish dream of holograms. :pray:

I'll make do with these for now.
mraltair

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Nixon » Apr 18, 2012 7:48 pm

Shrunk wrote:

Well, I don't know. With all the lip syncing and Autotuning that goes on in concerts these days, this just seems like a logical next step.

Scarily true.

The thing that bothers me is he calls out 'Coachella' at the beginning, presumably the hologram version of the posthumous 2Pac album where an impersonator gave shout outs to artists who would have been in second grade when our boy pegged it. Everyone knows he's dead (excepting idiots), so what's the point? Nostalgia I can live with, but this weird posthumous continuation as though all the information comprising some dead guy has taken on greater significance than the original physical form... it's all a bit too weird.

Oh... and "Coachella".... what the hell is that supposed to be?
Nixon

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Apr 18, 2012 11:38 pm

Shrunk wrote:

Oh certainly. But at least an actual living person can interact with the audience and feed off their energy, regardless of whether they are actually singing their own music.
If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Name: Dave
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#17  Postby quixotecoyote » Apr 19, 2012 1:45 am

Crocodile Gandhi wrote:
Shrunk wrote:

Oh certainly. But at least an actual living person can interact with the audience and feed off their energy, regardless of whether they are actually singing their own music.

Did you watch the video above? It's a pretty good imitation.
quixotecoyote

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 19, 2012 12:24 pm

Crocodile Gandhi wrote:
Shrunk wrote:

I think you could build that response into the hologram.
Mind you many singers are just robots.

“Emotional excitement reaches men through tea, tobacco, opium, whisky, and religion.” — George Bernard Shaw (1856 – 1950)

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

Re: Dead rapper Tupac may go on tour

#19  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 19, 2012 12:36 pm

Here is two of them:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX_fCfEgLmI[/youtube]

Scot Dutchy

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Shrunk » Apr 19, 2012 12:44 pm

quixotecoyote wrote: Did you watch the video above? It's a pretty good imitation.

Oh, and of course why not link to the performance in question here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgiEIeTFRwM[/youtube]

Somehow knowing this is based on 19th century technology makes it the more impressive.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Return to Music