Derren Brown - The Experiments

discussion thread

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Derren Brown - The Experiments

#41  Postby CookieJon » Nov 12, 2011 9:16 pm

I don't think there's any question the guy was always going to win. How he did it I haven't a clue. Perhaps making them choose 4 was trivial? A crowd of people will always go for that number, or something like that. Who knows.

But I thought it was a bit dubious making a show which might encourage more gullible people to "make their own luck" and really place their life savings on the roll of a die, or at the race track, or whatever (!)

Loved how he gave psychic Sally Morgan the opportunity to make a tit or herself by waffling on about the spirit of the dog, etc. haha
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby GrahamH » Nov 12, 2011 9:20 pm

He faked it! The dog statue was a real lucky charm!
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#43  Postby MrSlime » Nov 13, 2011 4:33 am

Loved how he gave psychic Sally Morgan the opportunity to make a tit or herself by waffling on about the spirit of the dog, etc. haha

:thumbup: My favourite part also!
Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell
MrSlime

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Mitts » Nov 13, 2011 1:02 pm

MrSlime wrote:

If you can 'third' something, I'll third that! How foolish was she made to look!? Vortex of energy my arse!
Nice one Mr. Brown!
:clap:
All religions are based on the same ridiculous imagination, that make man a weak, imbecile animal; a furious bigot and fanatic or a miserable hypocrite. Robert Owen

I used to be catholic but I'm better now. Torchwood: Miracle Day
Mitts

Name: Marcus Mittens
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#45  Postby MrSlime » Nov 13, 2011 9:30 pm

Mitts wrote:
MrSlime wrote:

If you can 'third' something, I'll third that! How foolish was she made to look!? Vortex of energy my arse!
Nice one Mr. Brown!

You definitely can in this case. :grin:
He didn't even have to say a word, haha
George Orwell
MrSlime

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#46  Postby campermon » Nov 13, 2011 9:41 pm

MrSlime wrote:
Mitts wrote:
MrSlime wrote:

Nice one Mr. Brown!

You definitely can in this case. :grin:
He didn't even have to say a word, haha

Was that the same 'psychic sally' that recently turned down a challenge on Halloween?

lol!
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Mitts » Nov 13, 2011 9:59 pm

Yep, that's the one!

:lol:
All religions are based on the same ridiculous imagination, that make man a weak, imbecile animal; a furious bigot and fanatic or a miserable hypocrite. Robert Owen

Mitts

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby campermon » Nov 13, 2011 10:04 pm

Mitts wrote:Yep, that's the one!

:thumbup:

Wow, two epic fails in one month!!

Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#49  Postby campermon » Nov 13, 2011 10:08 pm

Just found this;

'Sky Living star Psychic Sally Morgan has claimed that she "feels sorry" for psychic cynics like Derren Brown.

The TV star said that she accepted she would always face criticism for her career choice "until the day I die", but argued that high-profile acts such as Brown should be able to appreciate that she is good at what she does.'
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a32 ... brown.html

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The article was from Jun 2011.....before the broadcast.

campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Mitts » Nov 13, 2011 10:14 pm

I think the phrase is, "There you go then."

She bangs on about "show me that the spirit world doesn't exist." Surely 'well you show me that it does' would be a more honest and useful statement to address on her part!

:nono:

Mitts

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#51  Postby GrahamH » Nov 13, 2011 10:19 pm

[quote=Psychic Sally"]"There is a section of the community that go under the guise of being a sceptic, but they are just plain rude and ignorant and not very nice people. To those people, I would say prove to me there isn't a spirit world. Not only do that, but then show me what I'm doing, because I don't know. Tell me what I'm doing then. That's what I say to them."[/quote]

Is it possible she really believes she is psychic? Maybe she just hasn't worked out what it is she is doing.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#52  Postby MrSlime » Nov 14, 2011 4:34 am

Is it possible she really believes she is psychic? Maybe she just hasn't worked out what it is she is doing.

With her £1.53 per minute psychic hotlines and
busy tour schedule, she's more switched on than you think.

http://www.ents24.com/web/artist/112520 ... organ.html
George Orwell
MrSlime

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#53  Postby GrahamH » Nov 14, 2011 7:58 am

MrSlime wrote:

The obvious conclusion is that she is simply a charlatan making a buck out of people's superstitions.
I just wonder if a person could find some people receiving what it occurs to her to say as deeply meaningful spiritual insight and assuming that it must be due to some psychic superpower. There is scope there for some serious confirmation bias. If she really has no clue how she comes up with the things she says, perhaps because she carefully avoids such self-examination, might she believe her own publicity?

More generally, can cold-readers practice that technique without recognising that is what they are doing?

That might make a good experiment for DB. Can he take a suggestible person and convince them they have psychic abilities? Can he teach them cold reading under the guise of teaching them to feel psychic energy?
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#54  Postby CookieJon » Nov 14, 2011 9:10 am

GrahamH wrote:
MrSlime wrote:

The obvious conclusion is that she is simply a charlatan making a buck out of people's superstitions.
I just wonder if a person could find some people receiving what it occurs to her to say as deeply meaningful spiritual insight and assuming that it must be due to some psychic superpower. There is scope there for some serious confirmation bias. If she really has no clue how she comes up with the things she says, perhaps because she carefully avoids such self-examination, might she believe her own publicity?

More generally, can cold-readers practice that technique without recognising that is what they are doing?

That might make a good experiment for DB. Can he take a suggestible person and convince them they have psychic abilities? Can he teach them cold reading under the guise of teaching them to feel psychic energy?

Ooh that's so Derren.

How very Derren you!

:thumbup:
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#55  Postby quisquose » Nov 14, 2011 12:51 pm

Psychic Sally wrote:"There is a section of the community that go under the guise of being a sceptic, but they are just plain rude and ignorant and not very nice people. To those people, I would say prove to me there isn't a spirit world. Not only do that, but then show me what I'm doing, because I don't know. Tell me what I'm doing then. That's what I say to them."

So you demand that we should show you what you're doing?

You've actually no intention of allowing anybody to show you what you're doing you sick fuck, and you know it! :rage:

There ... got it off my chest. :lol:
quisquose
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » Nov 14, 2011 2:37 pm

New episode was pretty good. The main message obviously being that we make our own luck happen, and we are quick to attribute our luck to silly causes.

The dice roll was probably rigged. But it made for happy-ending to the series i guess...
Ihavenofingerprints

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#57  Postby GrahamH » Nov 14, 2011 4:24 pm

Ihavenofingerprints wrote:The main message obviously being that we make our own luck happen, and we are quick to attribute our luck to silly causes.

"You have to be in it to win it"
Unlikely events happen sometimes
Derren Brown fixes the odds to get the result he wants for the show (factor that into your Bayesian probability estimate)
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you
Not all things that seem too good to be true are untrue.

The messages that may have been lost:

Betting your life savings on a fair roll of a die you are five times more likely to lose everything than to win.
Most "winning" scratch cards, TXT-in quizes, lotteries etc aren't the path to good fortune they might seem to be. (most are designed to make money somehow, not just give it away)
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#58  Postby jamest » Nov 14, 2011 7:55 pm

MacIver wrote:He's quite an important figurehead in the fight against mysticism, psychics and suchlike.

Without wanting to stir up a hornet's nest, I don't think that you can justify that. I like watching his programmes too. They are fascinating, but there's no reason to believe that his abilities are a smack in the face to theism, etc..
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#59  Postby mrjonno » Nov 14, 2011 8:02 pm

Unless there was a lot more going on in the background then I really thought that the lucky dog programme was very morally and ethically dubious.

Taking advantage of opportunities is not the same as encouraging gambling (expecially when the odds werent in your favour they should have been 6 to 1 not 5 to 1).

Even if there was more going on in the background it hardly sends out a positive vibe to the audience
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#60  Postby GrahamH » Nov 14, 2011 8:04 pm

jamest wrote:
MacIver wrote:He's quite an important figurehead in the fight against mysticism, psychics and suchlike.

Without wanting to stir up a hornet's nest, I don't think that you can justify that. I like watching his programmes too. They are fascinating, but there's no reason to believe that his abilities are a smack in the face to theism, etc..

If we take his abilities at face value they make a strong case that peoples deep convictions and interpretations of events can be very, very mistaken. It would suggest that people wrongly jump to superstitious / miraculous conclusions or think they have had a religious experience when they have not.

It's like seeing optical illusions and realising that seeing is not believing after all.

People believe in god for various reasons, all of a kind that it would seem that DB could foster in a lot of normal people.

Of course this is no logical refutation of god or the spiritual, but it undermines it by explaining a little about ho so many people can be so apparently sure there is a god, even if there is none.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to The Arts & Entertainment