Derren Brown - The Experiments

discussion thread

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Derren Brown - The Experiments

#1  Postby CookieJon » Oct 14, 2011 2:39 pm

The Experiments

I love it that there's a goateed little smartarse who pops up on the telly now and then to play fun mind games.

Can't wait for this one.

Discuss.
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Derren Brown - The Experiments

#2  Postby Shrunk » Oct 14, 2011 3:06 pm

In The Assassin, the first show in the series, Derren Brown investigates hypnosis and asks if someone could be hypnotised into a killing a celebrity. Is this really possible? And who will be the celeb?

:lol: Love that last question.

Seriously, though, it looks interesting. Hopefully it''ll ber available online for those who don't have access to BBC?
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Scarlett » Oct 14, 2011 3:09 pm

I love the goateed little smart arse. He's a very clever guy. I don't think I've missed any of his programmes, ever :cheers:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » Oct 14, 2011 3:36 pm

Hopefully the episodes are on youtube the next day. If it is anything like "The Hoist", it should be entertaining.
Ihavenofingerprints

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Nostalgia » Oct 14, 2011 3:42 pm

He's quite an important figurehead in the fight against mysticism, psychics and suchlike.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Scarlett » Oct 14, 2011 3:45 pm

MacIver wrote:He's quite an important figurehead in the fight against mysticism, psychics and suchlike.

Absolutely, I always direct people to watch some of his stuff when they start wittering on about going to see psychics/fortune tellers etc. Some if his programmes have been fantastic from this point of view.
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » Oct 22, 2011 7:41 am

Awesome, found a youtube channel with the episode, watching now.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rextNDXESr8[/youtube]
Ihavenofingerprints

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » Oct 22, 2011 8:30 am

Just finished watching. Was pretty interesting, especially the ice bath thing. What did everyone else think?
Ihavenofingerprints

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby CookieJon » Oct 22, 2011 8:54 am

Hmm. Well he had the science guys tell us up-front that it's just not possible, so...

Lots of comments about the fact the participants know they're in a Derren Brown show they tend to go along with what's expected.

I thought it was maybe crossing into bad taste too much by using Sirhan as the subject of an "experiment" which no doubt used trickery to achieve the impression that it worked. Or is Kennedy long enough ago that it's ok to use a real murder and a wrongful conviction (?) for light entertainment?

Re the ice bath thing, interestingly Stephen Fry did a similar demonstration on his new program about language. The same resistence to cold was achieved not through hypnosis, but just by swearing. I don't know what that says, but there you go :)

Anyway, I thought it was interesting, and the final effect was a bit more chilling than I thougt if would be. Poor Stephen Fry audience, tho!
Last edited by CookieJon on Oct 22, 2011 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » Oct 22, 2011 9:03 am

Yea, I'd be skeptical of the "experiment". There are a million variables that make the conditions unsuitable for a real test (if the real test is whether or not the CIA could have brainwashed someone to kill). I suppose the guy was pretty brainwashed towards the end, but yea we just don't have enough info to tell.

Anyway, the experiments conducted with the experts with were pretty cool.
Ihavenofingerprints

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Scarlett » Oct 22, 2011 9:19 am

Do people who are really susceptible to hypnosis have a gullibility or weakness that makes them so suggestible? I don't mean feeble minded, or low intelligence :shifty:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby CookieJon » Oct 29, 2011 11:00 pm

Well experiment 2 was one of his better creations... Loved how he threw himself into the role of host of a wonderfully demented game-show

Confused whether the "victim" was an actor or really unaware, as claimed.

And who'd have thought that having spidermen underwear would elicit such contempt?
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » Oct 30, 2011 10:13 am

The crowd felt shit at the end :lol: Was a pretty good episode again.
Ihavenofingerprints

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#14  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Oct 30, 2011 10:30 am

I like Derren Brown, but that "acid test" does not account for the fact that his subjects could quite easily believe that there was no way in hell that they would put real acid in the beaker, so may have no compunction to tossing water into someone's face especially when not doing so would result in the embarrassment of the host.

Edit: In bold. I like the former PM as well but meant Derren in this case :/
Last edited by CdesignProponentsist on Oct 30, 2011 9:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby CookieJon » Oct 30, 2011 10:39 am

CdesignProponentsist wrote:I like Gordon Brown, but that "acid test" does not account for the fact that his subjects could quite easily believe that there was no way in hell that they would put real acid in the beaker, so may have no compunction to tossing water into someone's face especially when not doing so would result in the embarrassment of the host.

Indeed. That was even raised during the show itself.
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Scarlett » Oct 30, 2011 11:13 am

CookieJon wrote:

Confused whether the "victim" was an actor or really unaware, as claimed.

I thought the guy was genuine, I reckon if they'd used an actor he'd have reacted more animatedly to the things that were happening. That guy had the patience of a saint, my SO would have punched the irate boyfriend square in the kisser for talking to him like that. He was a really nice guy.

Ihavenofingerprints wrote:The crowd felt shit at the end :lol: Was a pretty good episode again.

I felt a teeny bit sorry for the audience, I sussed straight away that it was a set up, I've seen everything Derren Brown's done, but as Derren said, they had chosen every nasty thing to happen to the poor guy and it was right that they felt shit. Even after they'd been told it was a set up most of them appeared to be having a good serious think to themselves about how shitty they're capable of being. Brilliant :lol:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby campermon » Oct 30, 2011 11:16 am

Just watching now.....
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Scarlett » Oct 30, 2011 11:17 am

campermon wrote:Just watching now.....

Bet you wish you hadn't read this thread then :lol:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby campermon » Oct 30, 2011 11:27 am

....I only skimmed........ ;)
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to The Arts & Entertainment