Doctor Who [SPOILERS]

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Doctor Who [SPOILERS]

#1  Postby Darkchilde » Feb 26, 2010 12:40 pm

Okay, I admit I am a sci-fi nerd, always have been and always will be.

My first doctor was Tom Baker, then watched a lot of the others. But Tom Baker remained my favorite through the years, but the moment this next guy stepped in, he won first place from his first episode as the Doctor:

Now, David Tennant has left the role, and from March 13 we'll have a new Doctor: Matt Smith. I'll reserve my judgment until I see all of the new season.

Best episodes of the new series:

From Season 1:
The End of the World
Father's Day
Dalek
The Emty Child/The Doctor Dances
Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways

Season 2:

The Christmas Invasion (because we get introduced to David Tennant)
School Reunion (Rose & Sarah Jane!)
The Girl in the Fireplace
Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel
The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit
Army of Ghosts/Doomsday

Season 3:

Human Nature/The Family of Blood
Blink (one of the top 5 episodes ever)
Utopia/Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords

Season 4:

The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky
Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead
Midnight
Turn Left
Stolen Earth/Journey's End
Waters of Mars

What are your favorite episodes? And which Doctor is your favorite?
Last edited by Mr.Samsa on Apr 04, 2010 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [SPOILERS] tag and resized image to fit within image size restrictions
Darkchilde
RS Donator

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Doctor Who

#2  Postby RoaringAtheist » Feb 26, 2010 12:46 pm

You must be some type of future alien that can read minds. Not only do I share your top doctors, but I can't seem to disagree with any of your favourite episodes either. ó.o

Blink is fucking fantastic, particularly when you realize that the -viewer- is actually taken into account as well; when nobody except the 'camera' is looking at the statues, they still remain motionless since the -viewer- is seeing them still! Awesomeness. :D

I think the Doctor Dances duology is very, very creepy, and Silence in the Library isn't far behind, with those eerie cyber-remnants of people, looping their last thoughts. -shivers-

I'm not sure if it's in there, but I'd also include the episode with the eternal traffic jam, Gridlock. Particularly for the eerie final scenes with the Face of Boe.
RoaringAtheist

Print view this post

#3  Postby Darkchilde » Feb 26, 2010 12:51 pm

Yes, Gridlock. "You Are Not Alone", and then at the end of the season we get a clue as to who/what the Face of Boe is.

Blink was written by Steven Moffat, who is the main writer of the new season. Oh, wait here's the new trailer:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpbmMhNe6aA[/youtube]

And the Weeping Angels are back!
Darkchilde
RS Donator

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby RoaringAtheist » Feb 26, 2010 12:55 pm

I actually think that was more of a gag, and it also seems to contradict the supposed immortality of that other character that's involved. ;)

Some scenes of the newest episode (which ends with Tennant's Doctor regenerating in possibly the most emotionally laden regeneration ever) are nice, but I thought it had a bit too much random crap thrown in, and bringing back the Master already just seemed silly. Yes, we all knew he'd come back, but surely it could have been handled better? Similarly, there should have been better buildup to the return of Gallifrey.
RoaringAtheist

Print view this post

#5  Postby RoaringAtheist » Feb 26, 2010 12:57 pm

Darkchilde wrote:Yes, Gridlock. "You Are Not Alone", and then at the end of the season we get a clue as to who/what the Face of Boe is.

Blink was written by Steven Moffat, who is the main writer of the new season. Oh, wait here's the new trailer:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpbmMhNe6aA[/youtube]

Holy shit, he's doing the whole season? I just looked up all the episodes this guy wrote - it seems they're all in our shared top episodes. Epic!

Now let's hope this Doctor's any good. :)

Incidentally, are they establishing some kind of lore that every regeneration ends you up with a younger version, or something? Sjeesh. :P
RoaringAtheist

Print view this post

#6  Postby Weaver » Feb 26, 2010 12:58 pm

Darkchilde wrote:

I wish someone would market a small resin or artifical stone version of these.

My twin brother is a HUGE Dr. Who fan, since he first encountered it on PBS back when we were kids. I'd love to give him a present of one of these some day - searched the Net to no avail.

Also, DC, I share your favorite Drs. , and for the same reasons.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Darkchilde » Feb 26, 2010 1:03 pm

No, Steven Moffat is just the head writer. Davies stepped down, so we will get more episodes from Moffat. I expect some of the other writers to be the same. I think that Moffat will write something like 5-6 episodes per season. I wish seasons in the UK had 20-24 episodes as in the US. I couldn't get enough of the new Doctor Who series...
Darkchilde
RS Donator

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby XiledSpawn » Feb 26, 2010 1:04 pm

Last edited by XiledSpawn on Feb 26, 2010 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Until that day, that all are one" ~ Optimus Prime

Everybody equal, everybody loved!
XiledSpawn
RS Donator

Name: Michael Smith
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby I'm With Stupid » Feb 26, 2010 1:07 pm

Stephen Moffat wrote Blink, which is a good sign. The episode that brought Carey Mulligan to everyone's attention.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#10  Postby David M » Feb 26, 2010 5:43 pm

My first Doctor was John Pertwee, who remained my favourite (with Tom Baker a close second) until David Tennant took up the role. He is excellent and has to share first place with Pertwee.

David M

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Nixon » Feb 26, 2010 5:49 pm

I kicked off with Pertwee too... I'm afraid my favourite will probably always be William Hartnell. I thought David Tennant was great but on the whole I much prefer the older episodes. :shifty:
Nixon

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Paul » Feb 26, 2010 5:54 pm

Oh shit! I kicked off with Hartnell!

The saddest thing is I can actually remember not seeing the first ever episode and my older brother telling me about it. I was there (behind the sofa) for the Daleks though.

Pertwee and Baker had some of the finest moments. I liked Tennant, but the best episode from him was the one he was hardly in, Blink.
"Peter, I can see your house from here!"
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Nixon » Feb 26, 2010 5:59 pm

Yeah... I must admit after some of those episodes (Love and Monsters, anything wherein the story wa resolved by someone suddenly acquiring superpowers) I approached Doctor Who with slightly lowered expectations, but Blink really took my breath away.
Nixon

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby I'm With Stupid » Feb 26, 2010 6:02 pm

Incidentally, if anyone didn't catch David Tennant in Hamlet on Christmas day, I can't recommend it highly enough. It's still pretty expensive on DVD, but I'm sure you can "acquire" a copy somehow.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Darkchilde » Feb 26, 2010 6:10 pm

War Arrow wrote:Yeah... I must admit after some of those episodes (Love and Monsters, anything wherein the story wa resolved by someone suddenly acquiring superpowers) I approached Doctor Who with slightly lowered expectations, but Blink really took my breath away.

Love and Monsters was the worst episode of the new series up to now. I hated that episode, and probably will not watch it again.
Darkchilde
RS Donator

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Nixon » Feb 26, 2010 6:57 pm

Darkchilde wrote:
War Arrow wrote:Yeah... I must admit after some of those episodes (Love and Monsters, anything wherein the story wa resolved by someone suddenly acquiring superpowers) I approached Doctor Who with slightly lowered expectations, but Blink really took my breath away.

Love and Monsters was the worst episode of the new series up to now. I hated that episode, and probably will not watch it again.

It sucked big time.

Did anyone ever see DT in Casanova? He was also in something a few years ago I think called Taking Over The Asylum? He was pretty great in that.
Nixon

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby twistor59 » Feb 26, 2010 9:28 pm

Paul wrote:Oh shit! I kicked off with Hartnell!

The saddest thing is I can actually remember not seeing the first ever episode and my older brother telling me about it. I was there (behind the sofa) for the Daleks though.

Pertwee and Baker had some of the finest moments. I liked Tennant, but the best episode from him was the one he was hardly in, Blink.

I'm just about old enough to remember Hartnell. I remember being terrified by the Zarbies in the Web Planet.

The best episode EVER though, was BLINK. I don't think that will be equalled any time soon.
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby melchior » Feb 26, 2010 11:27 pm

My first Doc was Baker...but my fave Doc is Davidson :oops:

I thought DT was great, and he's certainly very swoony (i.e - I fancy the pants off him!) - but after his first run he got very 'Dr Who by Numbers'...

I also thought that Ecclestone was an awesome doctor by the way, and I loved Paul McGann in the movie.

I agree that Blink was one of the best recent episodes, it was edge of the sofa stuff! I think though that the new boy looks really promising. It was time for a change.
Would you like a cup of tea with that?
melchior

Print view this post

#19  Postby Nixon » Feb 26, 2010 11:48 pm

Only problem with the new guy is every time I see that trailer I just think...

Nixon

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby GuyOfOdd » Feb 27, 2010 12:12 am

Another big Doctor Who fan here. Tom Baker was my first Doctor. His first story was transmitted just a couple of months after I was born but he was in the role for so long that I was six or seven years old when he turned into a vet.

The new series has been brilliant and I look forward to seeing what Steven Moffat does with the next series. All the episodes he's written so far have been amazing.

Darkchilde wrote:Love and Monsters was the worst episode of the new series up to now. I hated that episode, and probably will not watch it again.

Ah, Love and Monsters. A much misunderstood slice of genius...
I will put something clever here later.
GuyOfOdd

Print view this post

Next

Return to Film & TV