Elite Dangerous

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Elite Dangerous

#321  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 17, 2018 12:03 pm

Wondering whether I should change'/upgrade the alloy slot.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#322  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 17, 2018 12:06 pm

Sendraks wrote:The Clipper has the speed to make an effective close range fighter with Fragment Cannon.

The Clipper is great for FA-OFF as it remains very stable and can flip round easily. Which is important as you need to keep that narrow front profile towards the enemy in order for chaff to be effective in defense. Chaff and boost to range with the rear profile are also very strong, as the Clipper has insane speed (mine with engineering does 650ms). Of course you can boost away, flip around and keep guns on target but, that calls for a longer range build.

I only use FA during manual landing anyway, never used it during fights.

What do you mean by 'boost to range with the rear profile'?
I've yet to get into engineering, the next couple of days I'll have to refill my bank account as I currently can't even afford the rebuy costs, much less new upgrades.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#323  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 17, 2018 12:08 pm

On a different subject; I encountered my second pulsar this morning and unlike the first one, did not slow down fast enough and got pulled out of FSD.
Fortunately, even with my current less than optimal load-out, I can boost once every 3 seconds and managed to jump away with 110% heat, but no damage.

Think heat sink is going to be one of the first upgrade I'll buy next.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#324  Postby Sendraks » Jul 17, 2018 1:36 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:Wondering whether I should change'/upgrade the alloy slot.

If you're intending to use the Clipper for combat I would look to upgrade to military grade alloys as soon as you can. The Clipper does not have strong shields nor a particularly strong hull. If your shield goes down, you'll lose the hull quickly to missiles.

Indeed, you might want to look at a larger class of shield but, I suspect that will require an engineered Powerplant to give the Clipper the headroom to run it.

Although as you're primarily intending to use the Clipper for cargo/mission running, its probably not that big a consideration. And pretty much the only NPC ship that can catch a Clipper is another Clipper or maybe a Cobra Mk III.

Thomas Eshuis wrote:I only use FA during manual landing anyway, never used it during fights.

Really? That is impressive. I only toggle on FA-Off for certain maneuvers during combat, I've never had the patience to become a full FA-OFF pilot.

Thomas Eshuis wrote:What do you mean by 'boost to range with the rear profile'?

Run away, making sure the enemy is behind you so you're presenting a narrow profile to them. Face on or rear on, the Clipper is tricky to hit and all the more so with chaff.

This said, I'm not a great fan of chaff and use it on none of my ships.

Thomas Eshuis wrote:I've yet to get into engineering, the next couple of days I'll have to refill my bank account as I currently can't even afford the rebuy costs, much less new upgrades.

That's fair, engineering is worth doing once you've got a ship you're happy with and know you'll keep. However, there's no credit cost attached to engineering for the most part (barring the unlock requirements for a couple of engineers) and you can start acquiring materials whilst doing other activities.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#325  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 17, 2018 3:03 pm

When I started the game, I had no idea FA was even a thing. When I did, I had become accustomed to flying without it.
Nvm, I though FA was turned off by default and I kept accidentally turning it on. It appears I was mistaken. :oops:

*Edit, is it a good idea to bypass regular upgrades and go for Eng immediately?
Last edited by Thomas Eshuis on Jul 17, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#326  Postby Sendraks » Jul 17, 2018 4:57 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:*Edit, is it a good idea to bypass regular upgrades and go for Eng immediately?

Not sure what you mean by "regular upgrades."
I would only engineer modules that you intend to keep and use in the long term. For me, typically, this means A-rated modules of any sort.

The only exception to this is my D-rated Type 7 or the sensors and life support on most of my ships, which are also D-rated.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#327  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 17, 2018 6:08 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:*Edit, is it a good idea to bypass regular upgrades and go for Eng immediately?

I would only engineer modules that you intend to keep and use in the long term. For me, typically, this means A-rated modules of any sort.

The only exception to this is my D-rated Type 7 or the sensors and life support on most of my ships, which are also D-rated.

I understood Engineering to provide modules that are better than regularly available modules, rather than upgrading modules, my bad. :cheers:
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#328  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 18, 2018 2:47 pm

nvm
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#329  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 18, 2018 8:40 pm

I have arrived at Waldrop Gateway, started missions to gather goods for our industry.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#330  Postby electricwhiteboy » Jul 31, 2018 1:42 pm

Sendraks wrote:

Engineering is a great way to round the rough corners off a fully upgraded ship. E.g. Making a python jump just a bit further, squeezing some more power out of a Cobra. It can also be used to push a specific build beyond the extreme, like really squeezing the jump range of an Asp Explorer.

Engineering is a bad way to "upgrade" a ship. Never overclock poor modules because you lack the credits, lower rated modules weakened by high grade engineering trade offs can quickly turn your ship into a death trap. You may find one or two modules where it's more cost effective to eningeer than improve depending on the ship and the build you are going for.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#331  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 15, 2019 8:10 am

I did eventually buy this during the Christmas sale last year, but after a few hours of jumping about and saving up money, I decided I'd go down and have a look at a planet. Well, it seems I might have needed to prepare a little more for that as I couldn't work out what the fuck I was doing, seemed to get stuck for a considerable time making no progress towards or away from the planet, then ran out of fuel. I promptly logged off and haven't been back to it since!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#332  Postby Sendraks » Apr 15, 2019 10:06 am

Sounds like you may have flown down to a high g planet without a-rated thrusters, which would mean you couldn't escape the planet's gravity. The game has a steep learning curve.

I've not checked the game since the new patch landed on April 12 but, I understand its supposed to make for a better new player experience. Not that it effects me in any way but, nice to know FDev are trying to make the game more accessible.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#333  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 15, 2019 10:13 am

Yeah, it was the complete lack of any form of on-screen guidance about what I was doing that made me feel like I couldn't be arsed further. The only helpful key I could find would have been to self-destruct... but even then I didn't know what that would entail, whether it was desirable, if I had alternatives etc.

It was a pretty, but mostly opaque 6 hours.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#334  Postby Sendraks » Apr 15, 2019 11:09 am

Did you do the training missions before starting the game?

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#335  Postby TopCat » Apr 15, 2019 12:56 pm

Sounds more like it was a non-landable planet. Once you drop out of supercruise you can fly around forever not getting any closer to the surface, as I discovered a long time ago, soon after getting my Sol system permit and visiting Earth.

This is the wrong forum for getting into Elite. This is the one you want. Endless help for the newbie. Although whinging about how hard the game is tends not to go down too well.

You're a member of the Pilots' Federation, @Spearthrower, so man up and 'git gud'. :)
Last edited by TopCat on Apr 15, 2019 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#336  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 15, 2019 12:57 pm

Sendraks wrote:Did you do the training missions before starting the game?

I don't honestly recall, but it sounds like the kind of thing I would do. I don't tend to leap in and say 'ahh I'll work it out'.

I am pretty sure though that there had been no training mission setting up planetary landing because I literally had no idea what the hell was going on! :grin:

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#337  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 15, 2019 12:58 pm

TopCat wrote:Although whinging about how hard the game is tends not to go down too well.

You're a member of the Pilots' Federation, OP, so man up and 'git gud'. :)

Yeah, any attitude like that is one I just walk away from having left my teenage years behind me many decades ago! ;)

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#338  Postby TopCat » Apr 15, 2019 12:59 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
TopCat wrote:Although whinging about how hard the game is tends not to go down too well.

You're a member of the Pilots' Federation, OP, so man up and 'git gud'. :)

Yeah, any attitude like that is one I just walk away from having left my teenage years behind me many decades ago! ;)

Ha, you probably don't want to visit the starter systems in Open, then, or engineers' ones like Kuhn and Deciat. :popcorn:

But yeah, it's a game with a steep learning curve. Last time I noticed, I was up to 79 rebuys :D
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#339  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 15, 2019 1:08 pm

TopCat wrote:
Ha, you probably don't want to visit the starter systems in Open, then, or engineers' ones like Kuhn and Deciat. :popcorn:

A not insignificant part of the reason I originally created this thread years back: they took away SP, and I imagined it meant I'd have to spend my precious time in space listening to 12 year olds who'd just found their penises! :lol:

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Video Games