EMI Records sold to Universal

for £1.2 billion

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

EMI Records sold to Universal

#1  Postby jaygray » Nov 11, 2011 4:16 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15697973

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/no ... sfeed=true

Just three majors left: Universal, Sony, and Warners.

Here's a little live music to play EMI out.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT6325bmcsQ[/youtube]
'Now, there are some who would like to rewrite history - revisionist historians is what I like to call them.' - George W. Bush
jaygray

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: EMI Records sold to Universal

#2  Postby Shrunk » Nov 11, 2011 4:46 pm

This might be a small piece of the overall pie, but in the classical music realm this means Universal now own pretty well all of the major labels: Decca, Deutsche Grammophon, Philips and now EMI. Massive boxsets will almost certainly ensue....
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby jaygray » Nov 11, 2011 4:57 pm

Yeah, I'm a classical consumer myself. Classical never makes any money, and I worry about having all the eggs in one basket like this. What the chief exec gives, the chief exec can take away again.

Let's hope there's a more enlightened approch to downloads of EMI stuff from now on.

At least Naxos is still turning an honest buck.
'Now, there are some who would like to rewrite history - revisionist historians is what I like to call them.' - George W. Bush
jaygray

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Shrunk » Nov 11, 2011 5:20 pm

jaygray wrote:Yeah, I'm a classical consumer myself. Classical never makes any money, and I worry about having all the eggs in one basket like this. What the chief exec gives, the chief exec can take away again.

I was worried about that with the DGG/Philips/Decca merger, but it doesn't seem to have made much difference in terms of how the back catalogue has been handled. If anything, more things have been returning to print.

As far as new recordings go, it seems to me those have been declining in number over recent years, but if that's the case it may have nothing to do with mergers. Classical music is largely the province of the indies now, anyway: Naxos, as you mention, as well as Harmonia Mundi, Hyperion, Chandos, Linn, etc.

BTW, with the rich recording legacy that is EMI's, how is it that every news article on this story mentions fucking Coldplay?
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby felltoearth » Nov 11, 2011 5:47 pm

I'll take your Beatles and raise you a decade.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTI0Omhsj1Q[/youtube]
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby THWOTH » Nov 15, 2011 10:27 pm

Shrunk wrote:This might be a small piece of the overall pie, but in the classical music realm this means Universal now own pretty well all of the major labels: Decca, Deutsche Grammophon, Philips and now EMI. Massive boxsets will almost certainly ensue....

As will the plethora of first recital disks by moderately talented but pretty cellists and microphone friendly swarthy tenors singing show tunes.

:(
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to The Arts & Entertainment