Favourite Podcasts

What are they? Tell me your secrets

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Favourite Podcasts

#1  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Dec 03, 2016 10:48 am

So folks, what are your favourite podcasts? I listen to loads of them. Probably an unhealthy amount, but I'm always looking for new ones.

I listen to podcasts of all genres, so I'm open to anything. Also happy to make recommendations to anyone else who loves podcasts and is looking to increase their listening library.
If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Name: Dave
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Favourite Podcasts

#2  Postby Pulsar » Dec 03, 2016 12:46 pm

So which podcasts do you listen to? I'm looking for new material myself; I mainly listen to history podcasts, but I'd like to expand my horizon.

I'm sure I don't have to introduce you to Dan Carlin, so here are my other recommendations:

Mike Duncan's The History Of Rome: The entire story of the Romans from their mythical origin to 476AD; essential stuff if you're a fan of history. Duncan has now moved on to a new topic: Revolutions, a podcast on major political revolutions.

Robin Pierson's The History of Byzantium picks up where The History Of Rome left off. The podcast is still ongoing; see the index for all episodes. There are about 4 episodes behind a paywall, but everything else is free. It's a very interesting topic, the only downside is that Pierson's voice is so soothing that I occasionally zone out...

History 101. A conversation-style podcast on various topics. Quite enjoyable.

The British History Podcast. A podcast on the history of Britain, with a peculiar style of humour. I've only listened to about 10 episodes, but it's alright.

Our Fake History. A podcast that takes a closer look at specific topics and seeks to separate truth from fiction.

The Lesser Bonapartes. A rather student-esque style podcast on a range of lesser-known historical topics. Enjoyable, although somewhat chaotic. I think they've stopped; one of the podcasters quit and was replaced by a new guy with a heavy Russian accent, and it just didn't work any more.
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#3  Postby crank » Dec 03, 2016 5:11 pm

Those look really good. What defines a podcast? Some of he GreatLecture series are audio only, and a lot of the video ones can be listened to without missing much.

The Thinking Atheistpodcast is pretty good. I usually download a bunch of some podcast and listen while driving. Lately, been listening to a lot of books and haven't had time to get to many podcasts.

Monstertalkis or was pretty good, haven't listened in a while, but can vouch for the old ones. It's really easy to find a lot of good material, about 100 times what you'll ever have time to listen to. I can't listen at home, too many distractions, maybe if doing something fairly routine and absorbing physically, driving is the perfect way for me.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Arnold Layne » Dec 03, 2016 5:30 pm

You'll have to be quick to get the 1st episode of Series 6, about 6 hours left, but there are 5 episodes after that too.

Old Harry's Game, starring Andy Hamilton as Satan.

Fucking brilliant! You'll piss yourself.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00w0d8p
I'm a Pixiist
Arnold Layne

France (fr)
Print view this post

#5  Postby smudge » Dec 03, 2016 5:41 pm

I second (along with Pulsar :thumbup: ) Mike Duncan's stuff- especially History of Rome.
As Pulsar also implied, Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is terrific.

I LOVE Very bad Wizards.
http://verybadwizards.com

If you are into philosophy The Partially Examined Life is good.
https://www.partiallyexaminedlife.com

Skeptics with a K is currently my favourite skeptical podcast.
http://www.merseysideskeptics.org.uk/podcasts/

:cheers:
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Dec 04, 2016 9:59 am

Pulsar wrote:So which podcasts do you listen to? I'm looking for new material myself; I mainly listen to history podcasts, but I'd like to expand my horizon.

If you're into history, then I can't recommend The Memory Palace highly enough. It's bits and pieces of quirky (usually US) history. But highly produced and told in a dramatic, engaging way. Some episodes are only 3 minutes long. Others more toward 20 minutes. But all well researched and thoroughly entertaining.

Another favourite is 99% Invisible. It's a podcast about design. Or, more specificaly, how there is hidden deisgn in everything. Some episodes are about architecture, others are about things like how the designs of US postage stamps are chosen. One really good episode is about how almost all doors are designed wrong. Another episode is about how the design of flags is hugely important to how much we care about the location that the flag represents.

On a completely different note, I'm a big fan of a podcast called Hello From the Magic Tavern. It's an improvised comedy podcast about a guy who got sucked through a wormhole into a magical, fantastical land and each week he, along with a wizard and a talking badger, interview a different inhabitant of the magical land of Foon.
If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Dec 04, 2016 10:01 am

smudge wrote:I second (along with Pulsar :thumbup: ) Mike Duncan's stuff- especially History of Rome.
As Pulsar also implied, Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is terrific.

I LOVE Very bad Wizards.
http://verybadwizards.com

If you are into philosophy The Partially Examined Life is good.
https://www.partiallyexaminedlife.com

Skeptics with a K is currently my favourite skeptical podcast.
http://www.merseysideskeptics.org.uk/podcasts/

:cheers:

I used to listen to Skeptics with a K all the time, but it dropped off my list for one reason or anything. Cognitive Dissonance and Irreligiosophy are the main skeptical/atheist podcasts I listen to.
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby smudge » Dec 04, 2016 12:12 pm

Cognitive Dissonance I like in small doses! I find that if I try to listen to every single episode I end up turning off as it becomes annoying. It's really funny sometimes. I get the feeling that a slimmed down more meticulously edited version of the show would be great.
I've never tried irreligiosophy- I'll give it a listen when time allows.
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Dec 04, 2016 12:23 pm

Editing is the biggest issue in podcasts. The ones I like most are usually those that are highly produced. That said, there is a certain level of charm in shows that include a level of unprofessionalism. Where sometimes someone will spend a minute searching google to find an answer. It's a bit more real that way. More like an actual conversation between friends.
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#10  Postby The_Piper » Dec 04, 2016 3:40 pm

:popcorn:
"I'm not really sure what I'm talking about" - Tucker Carlson
The Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife thread.
The Self Taken Pictures of Scenery thread.
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby crank » Dec 04, 2016 3:57 pm

Crocodile Gandhi wrote:
Pulsar wrote:So which podcasts do you listen to? I'm looking for new material myself; I mainly listen to history podcasts, but I'd like to expand my horizon.

If you're into history, then I can't recommend The Memory Palace highly enough. It's bits and pieces of quirky (usually US) history. But highly produced and told in a dramatic, engaging way. Some episodes are only 3 minutes long. Others more toward 20 minutes. But all well researched and thoroughly entertaining.

Another favourite is 99% Invisible. It's a podcast about design. Or, more specificaly, how there is hidden deisgn in everything. Some episodes are about architecture, others are about things like how the designs of US postage stamps are chosen. One really good episode is about how almost all doors are designed wrong. Another episode is about how the design of flags is hugely important to how much we care about the location that the flag represents.

On a completely different note, I'm a big fan of a podcast called Hello From the Magic Tavern. It's an improvised comedy podcast about a guy who got sucked through a wormhole into a magical, fantastical land and each week he, along with a wizard and a talking badger, interview a different inhabitant of the magical land of Foon.

Great suggestions, more stuff to check out. Now, I can't let this go, so what the fuck is wrong with doors? It is one of those things that have been around for, oh a century or two, maybe a bit more... You'd think they'd have gotten the kinks out by now. Not that such things are all that uncommon, the only thing that pops into my head as an example, and a poor one, is ulcer treatment, there are many others.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#12  Postby smudge » Dec 05, 2016 9:28 am

Crocodile Gandhi wrote:Editing is the biggest issue in podcasts. The ones I like most are usually those that are highly produced. That said, there is a certain level of charm in shows that include a level of unprofessionalism. Where sometimes someone will spend a minute searching google to find an answer. It's a bit more real that way. More like an actual conversation between friends.

Thats true. But listening to strangers giggle at their own jokes for half an hour gets tired very quickly.
A balance required. For me, Cognitive Dissonance, though great fun at times, crosses the line into 'boring' too often. I keep going back to it and hope they will get that balance (of cut Vs keep) right at some point.

Edit- typo.
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby KeenIdiot » Dec 05, 2016 10:31 am

In the vein of Cognitive Dissonance, I like Scathing Atheist and their other casts.
My favorite Skeptical podcast, aside from SWAK, would be Archy Fantasies. Focuses on the woo around archaeology.
For gross out and conspiracy stuff, love Last Podcast on the Left.
KeenIdiot

Name: Mike
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Pulsar » Dec 16, 2016 10:41 pm

Hello Internet

A podcast by youtube veterans Brady Haran and CGP Grey, where they talk about random stuff. Pretty entertaining.

youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwez9XDNV_wS0WNDZteXjgw
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Made of Stars » Dec 17, 2016 11:19 am

Sam Harris' Walking Up podcast is good - he has an interesting range of guests on, although he likes the sound of his own voice a little too much at times.
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby smudge » Dec 19, 2016 11:14 am

Made of Stars wrote:Sam Harris' Walking Up podcast is good - he has an interesting range of guests on, although he likes the sound of his own voice a little too much at times.

I agree! On both points!
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Made of Stars » Dec 20, 2016 10:54 am

That reminds me - Harris has a new podcast out with Richard Dawkins. I do like the odd anti-theism rant now and then, so must check it out.
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Pulsar » Jun 16, 2017 8:31 am

I've been listening to The Rhine Podcast lately, a podcast that focusses on the history of the area surrounding the Rhine river (i.e. France, the Low Countries, Germany, Switzerland), but it covers the rest of Europe as well. It's excellent. He almost sounds like a Dan Carlin impersonator in the first episodes, but gradually he finds his own voice.
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Briton » Jun 16, 2017 4:58 pm

The Skeptics Guide to the Universe, Science Friday, Stuff You Missed in History Class, The Atheist Experience, The Skeptic Zone.

For news I use the Global News Podcast from the BBC. Also The Real News and Democracy Now for current affairs.

One of my favourites is The Jimmy Dore Show. A mix of left of centre politics and comedy; I particularly like the phone calls.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#20  Postby TopCat » Jun 16, 2017 5:07 pm

smudge wrote:
Made of Stars wrote:Sam Harris' Walking Up podcast is good - he has an interesting range of guests on, although he likes the sound of his own voice a little too much at times.

I agree! On both points!

I love that podcast. I've even made a donation, and although I know what you mean by him liking the sound of his own voice a bit too much, I actually quite like it.

There's something incredibly relaxing about his voice, so as well as the content, which I usually find very illuminating, the overall experience I find very positive.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to The Arts & Entertainment