Figure skating et al at the Olympics

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Figure skating et al at the Olympics

#41  Postby newolder » Feb 13, 2018 12:42 pm

Shrunk wrote:What a shot Laws just made with her last of End 4, to force the Swiss to waste their power play on a single. No nerves today from her.

Worthy winners - completely outplayed the Swiss pair. Great entertainment. On to Curling full strength now. :popcorn:
Geometric forgetting gives me loops. - Nima A-H
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby I'm With Stupid » Feb 13, 2018 12:47 pm

So ironically, given this thread, the South Korean has just missed out on a silver medal in the speed skating because of a judges decision. Hard to see why she was disqualified tbh.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#43  Postby aban57 » Feb 13, 2018 1:09 pm

newolder wrote:
Shrunk wrote:What a shot Laws just made with her last of End 4, to force the Swiss to waste their power play on a single. No nerves today from her.

Worthy winners - completely outplayed the Swiss pair. Great entertainment. On to Curling full strength now. :popcorn:

Now we need a sport mixing curling and pool, where the circles would be in a larger area, and you could use rebounds on the walls.
aban57

Name: Cédric

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#44  Postby newolder » Feb 13, 2018 1:35 pm

aban57 wrote:
newolder wrote:

Now we need a sport mixing curling and pool, where the circles would be in a larger area, and you could use rebounds on the walls.

I wish you well with the development of "Cool" but I guess it'll be a while before it becomes an Olympic event. :dunno:

The Skeleton event has just arrived here on an extra Eurosport Olympics channel - there's plenty of bouncing off the walls in prospect there (especially if/when the Brits have a go)... :doh:

ETA The Brit D. Parsons just made a splendid run. Whoohooo!
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#45  Postby Shrunk » Feb 13, 2018 2:53 pm

Crocodile Gandhi wrote:
aban57 wrote:
Crocodile Gandhi wrote: football (though I don't think it should be an olympic sport) and actual tennis (I have the same feelings about this as football).

Why ?

Because nobody growing up playing football or tennis says "What I really want is to win an olympic gold medal". Aside from anything else, the football is a farce because it's an under 23 competition. There's no footballer who would rather win an olympic gold than a world cup. Hell, there's no footballer who would rather win an olympic gold than the Champion's League.

Same argument for tennis. Every tennis player would rather win a grand slam tournament than an olympic gold. Federer has never won a gold medal in the singles at the Olympics but no one takes that into consideration when considering his greatness.

I'm sure all the athletes who win gold in the tennis or football are proud as punch to get it, but they'd happily trade it in for the bigger honours in their sport.

I agree. An Olympic gold medal should 1) mean you have beaten the best in the world at your sport and 2) be the highest honour in your sport. Tennis and football/soccer do not qualify. Neither does men's ice hockey, anymore, either. But there is no equivalent to soccer's World Cup where the best players of each country compete, so might as well keep it.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Shrunk » Feb 13, 2018 2:56 pm

newolder wrote:

The purist in me chafes at it a bit, but this mixed doubles format sure produces some excitement (to the extent that curling can do that at all, of which some will be skeptical I admit). I wonder if there will be pressure to introduce some of its rules to the four player format.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Shrunk » Feb 13, 2018 2:57 pm

aban57 wrote:
newolder wrote:

Curling/crokinole is a thing:

Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby aban57 » Feb 13, 2018 3:11 pm

My idea is better :snooty:
aban57

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#49  Postby newolder » Feb 13, 2018 3:47 pm

Shrunk wrote:...

The purist in me chafes at it a bit, but this mixed doubles format sure produces some excitement (to the extent that curling can do that at all, of which some will be skeptical I admit). I wonder if there will be pressure to introduce some of its rules to the four player format.

The, admittedly few I saw, power play ends certainly helped with the scoring (1.4 points per power play was reported by a commentator, iirc) and would allay some of the null ends in the four player events.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#50  Postby Macdoc » Feb 13, 2018 5:08 pm

I find curling exciting.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 13, 2018 6:56 pm

Still looking good:

Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#52  Postby aban57 » Feb 13, 2018 9:04 pm

Looks like France finally woke up.
aban57

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#53  Postby I'm With Stupid » Feb 14, 2018 2:24 am

Just been a horrible crash in the men's half pipe. Other than that, it's hotting up nicely. Some amazing runs.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#54  Postby laklak » Feb 14, 2018 3:10 am

Watching it now. I love the fact that there's a move called a "McTwist".
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#55  Postby laklak » Feb 14, 2018 3:13 am

Hirano fell on his last run so he's in for bronze. Scotty James' turn now...
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby laklak » Feb 14, 2018 3:14 am

FUCK Scotty fell! He's bronze now and Hirano in for silver. Now for Shaun White - one fucking run, for gold or silver. Goddamn this is good.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#57  Postby laklak » Feb 14, 2018 3:20 am

Fucking nailed it! Wait for the score......back to back 14s...

94.25! Got the fucking gold! Way to go Shaun!
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Feb 14, 2018 6:37 am

Read some interesting articles about how the NBC coverage was doing nothing but lionising Shaun White, without a mention of him settling a sexual harassment case out of court last year. You'd think that NBC would be a bit more concerned about it given that Matt Lauer would have been one of their Winter Olympic presenters, had they not fired him for being a serial sexual harasser
If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Name: Dave
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#59  Postby I'm With Stupid » Feb 14, 2018 10:00 am

Crocodile Gandhi wrote:Read some interesting articles about how the NBC coverage was doing nothing but lionising Shaun White, without a mention of him settling a sexual harassment case out of court last year. You'd think that NBC would be a bit more concerned about it given that Matt Lauer would have been one of their Winter Olympic presenters, had they not fired him for being a serial sexual harasser

The BBC didn't mention it either. It just kept mentioning him being a "controversial figure" in the world of snowboarding. I figured they were just talking about him jumping up and down like a twat when he wins.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#60  Postby newolder » Feb 14, 2018 11:32 am

I wonder how Frank Skinner (British Comedian) got the job commentating for the beeb on the speed skating? :scratch:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV