Films Critics Hate That You Love

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Films Critics Hate That You Love

#1  Postby Nautilidae » Sep 05, 2010 2:55 pm

While I often share the general opinion of film critics, there are often times where the general consensus is the opposite of my opinion. Sometimes critics love films that I hate, and sometimes critics hate films that I love.

Post examples of films that you love or hate but most critics completely disagree.

I'll start:

I absolutely love this film. I see some of the criticisms that critics have with the story, but I honestly don't think that they detract all that much from the film. The cinematography and imagery in this film are absolutely dazzling, and unlike something like Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, it uses the imagery to convey the emotions of the characters and the story overall. I actually compared this film to Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland at length last night, because I criticized Alice in Wonderland where I praised The Lovely Bones. The thing about The Lovely Bones is that it, despite it's shortcomings, it actually gives you reasons to care about the characters and the overall story, whereas Alice in Wonderland was filled with great visuals but lacked characters with depth and had a story about which you could care less. There are moments that make me think "... Peter Jackson, I know that you are better than this", but then there are other scenes that make me think "... OH MY GOD! YOU ARE A SAVANT, PETER JACKSON!", and there are more of the latter than the former.

This film has a 33% on Rotten Tomatoes, but I give this film 3 stars our of four.

I don't understand why critics hate this film. I think it's absolutely hilarious. Yes, it's cliche', but most romantic comedies ARE cliche', and this is leagues beyond other romantic comedies that I've seen. For those who have not seen this, you should watch it just for Jane Fonda and Wanda Sykes. They play off of each other so well. Plus, their dialogue is actually pretty clever.

This film has a 16% on Rotten Tomatoes, but I give it 3 stars out of four

Now on to films that critics love that I hate. There is only one that truly stands out:

This film has a 90% on Rotten Tomatoes and is considered to be one of the greatest comedies of the decade. I honestly don't understand this. Perhaps I was viewing it as a comedy rather than a satire, but when I saw this a few years ago, so many jokes fell flat that my family and I didn't even finish watching the film; we stopped near the halfway mark. I won't call this one the worst film's that I've seen, as it's actually well directed, but I consider it to be one of the most overrated films that I've ever seen.

2 stars out of 4.
Last edited by Nautilidae on Sep 06, 2010 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Films Critics Hate That You Love

#2  Postby HughMcB » Sep 05, 2010 2:58 pm

Mother in Law three stars out of four?! :shock:

There's a reason it got 16% on rotten tomatoes. All copies of this film should be strapped to a rocket and fired into the sun, along with the entire cast.
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Ubjon » Sep 05, 2010 3:02 pm

I don't think much of professional critics or wanabee critics. In my view both tend towards negative critism with perhaps the wanabees being the worse as they like to imagine themselves as informed commentators.

Scored 9% on Rotten Tomatoes but I loved it

Again got rubbished on Rotten Tomatoes with a score of 21% but I really enjoyed it and the little girl did a good job as coming across as a evil manipulative bitch.
Last edited by Ubjon on Sep 05, 2010 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ubjon wrote:Your God is just a pair of lucky underpants.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post6 ... 3b#p675825
Ubjon

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby natselrox » Sep 05, 2010 3:04 pm

All Bollywood films. Especially every one that features Shah Rukh.
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#5  Postby dalv8409 » Sep 05, 2010 3:20 pm

I liked the 1998 Godzilla film and that had negative reaction from critics, I am a fan of the Japanese Godzilla as well and to be honest I never compared the two. I understand why the majority of Godzilla fans hated the movie but I saw it as a more realistic version of Godzilla, it is a shame that a sequel was never made but I am looking forward to the next Godzilla movie which will be more like the original and will be out in 2012.

About critics though critics whether they are film or TV are nothing but wannabe filmmakers that couldn't make it into the business. There are loads of films that I personally don't like but what I came to realise is that every movie has a fan base whether they are small or large. There is no film that everyone loves and there is no film that everyone hates and same thing goes for TV shows, video games, sports, etc.
Disagree with an opinion just say so but don't be a dick about it.
dalv8409

Male

Wales (we)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Animavore » Sep 05, 2010 4:12 pm

Not only film critics, but seemingly everyone.

It was the funniest film ever. I don't care what anyone says.

I think I've said that one before so I'm also going to go with this one.

I couldn't stop laughing at it. I mean, it was satire, right? I wondered was it a case were the critics didn't get it...
Sure it lost itself a bit at times, but over all I enjoyed it.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Ubjon » Sep 05, 2010 4:13 pm

I loved freddy got fingered. Game was a bit naff but was entertaining enough
Ubjon wrote:Your God is just a pair of lucky underpants.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post6 ... 3b#p675825
Ubjon

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Kazaman » Sep 05, 2010 4:24 pm

I loved Gamer and Monster-in-Law.

I hated The Lightning Thief. Despite having thoroughly enjoyed the book and the remainder of the series due to my intertest in Greek mythology, the movie was ... ugh, it was terrible. It was almost worse than Eragon in its divergence from the original plot, and Eragon was pretty fucking bad. (The only thing that makes this movie slightly better is that the writers for The Lightning Thief left the possibility of making a movie of the sequel, whereas with Eragon they changed so much of the plot that it is literally impossible.) Not only that, but it was cheesey throughout. The only thing which made it worth watching was the scene with Logan Lerman in the pool. The rest was pure shit.

EDIT: I sort of switched "hate" and "love" around for my post. It seems that the majority of critics either like the movie or have mixed feelings.
Kazaman

Name: Stephen
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Mike_L » Sep 05, 2010 5:56 pm

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)

Widely ranked as the worst of the Indiana Jones movies (until The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was released).
It was criticised as being "too dark and violent", but it's precisely these qualities that make it the BEST of the four, IMO. Simply put, it had "an edge" that the others lacked.
It also had some of the most inventive FX and stunt sequences (the mine-car chase and the rope-bridge finale) and some of the best matte paintings (Pankot Palace, cliff face) in ILM's screen gallery.
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby Animavore » Sep 05, 2010 6:07 pm

I agree. I love Temple of Doom. I don't get the hatred at all.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#11  Postby mraltair » Sep 05, 2010 6:10 pm

I liked this film, the sequel wasn't great but i still enjoyed that one too. Apparently it's not just critics that don't like it, so It's possible that I have bad taste.
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Mac_Guffin » Sep 05, 2010 6:26 pm

Hook is one of my favorite movies. I understand that it's not perfect and part of my love has to do with nostalgia, but this gets a lot of unfair flak.
It really wasn't that bad. Sure, it fell victim to the "extreme" 90's trend with having the Lost Boys skateboard, play basketball, include Rufio with his punky hairdo, etc. It also miscast Tinkerbell among a few other things.
But other than that, it had a wonderful score by John Williams, it followed the mythology almost to the T (There were a few plot holes like Tink and Hook being alive along with a few other things, but in a way, that can be hand-waved as the original story being unreliable. While we're on the subject of plot holes; a lot of people point out that Peter growing up from a baby to a young teen is one, but in the book, Neverland doesn't keep you from growing up. Peter would kill Lost Boys if they grew up.), there were a few good action scenes, and the story was written well overall.
Mac_Guffin

Name: Christopher
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Mac_Guffin » Sep 05, 2010 6:31 pm

Mike_L wrote:Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)

Widely ranked as the worst of the Indiana Jones movies (until The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was released).
It was criticised as being "too dark and violent", but it's precisely these qualities that make it the BEST of the four, IMO. Simply put, it had "an edge" that the others lacked.
It also had some of the most inventive FX and stunt sequences (the mine-car chase and the rope-bridge finale) and some of the best matte paintings (Pankot Palace, cliff face) in ILM's screen gallery.

It's my favorite as well... but the criticism I hear and read is more about elements like "Short-Round", not because it's too dark.
I liked Short-Round. I can understand why people see him as a Jar Jar Binks type, but I think he was a cute kid.
Mac_Guffin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby mmmcheezy » Sep 05, 2010 6:33 pm

mraltair wrote:Image

I liked this film, the sequel wasn't great but i still enjoyed that one too. Apparently it's not just critics that don't like it, so It's possible that I have bad taste.

I loved it too, so there's no way you could have bad taste! :snooty:
http://www.rantingnraging.tumblr.com

I'm not larger than life, I'm not taller than trees
mmmcheezy
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Mac_Guffin » Sep 05, 2010 6:34 pm

mraltair wrote:Image

I think that one's good by its originality factor alone. I hate the philosophy behind the film and at times the writing's a little heavy-handed (like a Tarantino film), but it's good.
The director was an asshole though. There was a documentary about him. I forgot what it was called though. You can find out the name by looking on IMDb.
Mac_Guffin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Mac_Guffin » Sep 05, 2010 6:37 pm

Animavore wrote:Not only film critics, but seemingly everyone.

I love that movie along with the rest of Tom Green's humor (but only in small doses). The movie has audacity and the sheer chaos is refreshing.
It's one of those films that's so stupid and bad that it's good.
Mac_Guffin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Nautilidae » Sep 05, 2010 8:06 pm

I didn't think that this film was that bad. It is by no stretch of the imagination a great film, but I thought it was a fairly cute romantic comedy. I like that it focused on many different characters, but the downside to this was that all of their stories needed to be resolved, so it took 45 minutes for the film to end. I also felt that some of the stories were throw-away. For example, the relationship between Taylor Swift and Taylor Lautner seemed completely pointless, as they never did anything to develop the characters or even their story. Nevertheless, I found myself enjoying this.

It has a 17% on Rotten Tomatoes, but I give it 2.5 stars out of 4.
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Matt H » Sep 05, 2010 8:56 pm

Quantum of Solace and Alien 3
"The most remarkable people, to me, were those who apparently approved of everything I said but nonetheless wouldn't dream of voting for the Liberal Party. It reminded me of Somalia: they wouldn't vote outside their clan."

Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Matt H

Male

Falkland Islands (fk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Grimstad » Sep 05, 2010 9:29 pm

Boondock Saints. I had never heard of it but someone posted a link and I ended up watching the whole damned movie in about 12 parts.

I read a few reviews before heading for the theater. It seemed to be universally panned but every one of them said it was too dark. Exactly what I was hoping to see. One other bonus was that my best friend and I had the entire theater to ourselves. Loved it.

Yeah, but she's our witch, so cut her the hell down. - Mal Reynolds

I'm on zero pills, and I miss them.
--Mindy Elise Grayson
Grimstad

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby SPMaximus » Sep 05, 2010 9:38 pm

Animavore wrote:Not only film critics, but seemingly everyone.

Omg i thought i was alone :whistle:

Boondock Saints is great too, but the sequel was a disgrace :nono:
:popcorn:
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

Next

Return to The Arts & Entertainment