Frozen Planet

New BBC documentary narrated by Attenborough

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Frozen Planet

#21  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 27, 2011 2:25 pm

Animavore wrote:If like me you forgot it's repeated on Sunday on BBC ONE at 16:10.
If you're American there is a torrent so you can watch it now, as it should be, narrated by the master, before it reaches your shores next Spring narrated by Oprah Winfrey or some shite (although if they get Morgan Freeman that's fine also).

I thought David Attenborough sounded a bit tired and weak but the programme was good. I was surprised that it was not in HD.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Animavore » Oct 27, 2011 2:28 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Animavore wrote:If like me you forgot it's repeated on Sunday on BBC ONE at 16:10.
If you're American there is a torrent so you can watch it now, as it should be, narrated by the master, before it reaches your shores next Spring narrated by Oprah Winfrey or some shite (although if they get Morgan Freeman that's fine also).

I thought David Attenborough sounded a bit tired and weak but the programme was good. I was surprised that it was not in HD.

It was. It was shown on BBC ONE HD also.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 27, 2011 3:11 pm

Animavore wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

We have a BBC HD channel but that did not show it. Do you have a seperate HD for each BBC channel like we have for the Dutch channels?

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Animavore » Oct 27, 2011 3:17 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

We have a BBC HD channel but that did not show it. Do you have a seperate HD for each BBC channel like we have for the Dutch channels?

Yes. BBC HD is its own channel. Unfortunatly I can't record off BBC1 HD on my Sky Box because it's not counted as the Sky package and is in the 'other channels' section and I can't watch it at the time it is on :sigh:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Aern Rakesh » Oct 27, 2011 5:05 pm

Animavore wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Animavore wrote:

Yes. BBC HD is its own channel. Unfortunatly I can't record off BBC1 HD on my Sky Box because it's not counted as the Sky package and is in the 'other channels' section and I can't watch it at the time it is on :sigh:

If you have an HD computer monitor you can watch it on HD on iPlayer if you are in the UK...
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 27, 2011 5:10 pm

Nora_Leonard wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

If you have an HD computer monitor you can watch it on HD on iPlayer if you are in the UK...

There will be very little chance of that happening Nora. I am seldom in the UK. Just see my mum now and again. Thanks anyway.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Pulsar » Oct 27, 2011 5:18 pm

It was good, but not the best of BBC's natural history documentaries. Lots of beautiful aerial shots, but lacking in substance a bit, imo. I actually thought the 'making of' bit at the end was the best, with the filming of the orkas and the crystal caves.

Scot Dutchy wrote:I thought David Attenborough sounded a bit tired and weak but the programme was good. I was surprised that it was not in HD.

Well, the good man is 85. I was surprised that he actually was on the north and south poles, just to deliver the opening and closing lines.
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#28  Postby Pulsar » Oct 27, 2011 5:26 pm

And here it is:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnizwdLgGxM[/youtube]

Catch it while you can!
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Aern Rakesh » Oct 27, 2011 5:53 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Nora_Leonard wrote:If you have an HD computer monitor you can watch it on HD on iPlayer if you are in the UK...

There will be very little chance of that happening Nora. I am seldom in the UK. Just see my mum now and again. Thanks anyway.

I was actually thinking of people living in the UK. :lol:
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#30  Postby j.mills » Oct 27, 2011 10:45 pm

Nora_Leonard wrote:There's also iPlayer for British viewers... (in case you don't want to wait for the repeat, or if you miss it then as well...)

Or if, indeed, you don't have a telly. :dopey: Rather a peculiar ol' loophole, that if you don't possess a TV you can cheerfully and legally watch everything online now (so long as you don't do so "live or virtually live as it is broadcast") without paying a bean. :dopey:
WordsVoiceLimericky tweets

There is grandeur in this view of life
Where one becomes many through struggle and strife,
But the Mother of Mysteries is another man's call:
Why is there something 'stead of nothing at all?

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#31  Postby james1v » Oct 27, 2011 11:51 pm

j.mills wrote:
Nora_Leonard wrote:There's also iPlayer for British viewers... (in case you don't want to wait for the repeat, or if you miss it then as well...)

Or if, indeed, you don't have a telly. :dopey: Rather a peculiar ol' loophole, that if you don't possess a TV you can cheerfully and legally watch everything online now (so long as you don't do so "live or virtually live as it is broadcast") without paying a bean. :dopey:

Its only a matter of time, till some clever bugger brings out a 40inch plasma "computer" screen! ;)
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#32  Postby I'm With Stupid » Oct 28, 2011 2:38 am

I'm torrenting it, but typically the non-HD version is downloading at 300kbps and the HD version is downloading at 10kbps.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#33  Postby smudge » Oct 28, 2011 6:42 am

Watched it last night.
I thought it was super.
Scenes like that put all life's little personal day to day problems into perspective....
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#34  Postby chairman bill » Nov 16, 2011 11:26 pm

Sounds like Teabagger-inspired idiocy to me ... the final episode won't show in the US. because it tsalks about global warming.

Frozen Planet has a duty to inspire debate as well as wonder
The decision not to screen the climate change episode in the US is an injustice to the startling beauty on show during the series
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/nov/16/frozen-planet-climate-change-episode

It was for his joyous curiosity about the natural world that British television viewers took David Attenborough to their hearts in the 1970s and kept him there. Whether sitting alongside a gorilla in the most famous sequence in the original Life on Earth series, or peering at the multicoloured chameleons that are his favourite creatures in a BBC special earlier this year, Attenborough's life's work has been to show people what is most beautiful and interesting about our planet.

Frozen Planet, the BBC natural history unit's latest production, is mostly more of the same and British audiences are lapping it up, with 7m viewers tuning in to the penguin-heavy third episode last week. But as Attenborough explained when I interviewed him last month, it isn't possible to spend four years filming in the Arctic and Antarctic without worrying about what is going on. Glaciers are retreating, Arctic ice cover has shrunk by 30% in 30 years and polar bears are finding it harder to survive. So the final programme in the series On Thin Ice (a working title of Meltdown was junked – presumably for sounding too alarmist), due to be aired on 7 December, explains in some detail how we know this and what it might mean, while studiously (some will say wrongly) avoiding any discussion of the causes.

Reports in British newspapers yesterday that Discovery, the US broadcaster that co-produced the series, along with unnamed other foreign broadcasters, will not show this final episode will rightly dismay everyone who accepts that Earth is warming. That audiences invited to sit through five hours of groundbreaking natural history – including the first footage of killer whales tipping seals off ice floes (as Captain Scott said they could 100 years ago), and a hibernating polar bear nursing her cubs while half-asleep – could be sent away none the wiser as to the existential threat facing many of these species, seems ludicrous. (cont.)
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#35  Postby smudge » Nov 22, 2011 2:07 pm

chairman bill wrote:Sounds like Teabagger-inspired idiocy to me ... the final episode won't show in the US. because it tsalks about global warming.

Frozen Planet has a duty to inspire debate as well as wonder
The decision not to screen the climate change episode in the US is an injustice to the startling beauty on show during the series
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/nov/16/frozen-planet-climate-change-episode

It was for his joyous curiosity about the natural world that British television viewers took David Attenborough to their hearts in the 1970s and kept him there. Whether sitting alongside a gorilla in the most famous sequence in the original Life on Earth series, or peering at the multicoloured chameleons that are his favourite creatures in a BBC special earlier this year, Attenborough's life's work has been to show people what is most beautiful and interesting about our planet.

Frozen Planet, the BBC natural history unit's latest production, is mostly more of the same and British audiences are lapping it up, with 7m viewers tuning in to the penguin-heavy third episode last week. But as Attenborough explained when I interviewed him last month, it isn't possible to spend four years filming in the Arctic and Antarctic without worrying about what is going on. Glaciers are retreating, Arctic ice cover has shrunk by 30% in 30 years and polar bears are finding it harder to survive. So the final programme in the series On Thin Ice (a working title of Meltdown was junked – presumably for sounding too alarmist), due to be aired on 7 December, explains in some detail how we know this and what it might mean, while studiously (some will say wrongly) avoiding any discussion of the causes.

Reports in British newspapers yesterday that Discovery, the US broadcaster that co-produced the series, along with unnamed other foreign broadcasters, will not show this final episode will rightly dismay everyone who accepts that Earth is warming. That audiences invited to sit through five hours of groundbreaking natural history – including the first footage of killer whales tipping seals off ice floes (as Captain Scott said they could 100 years ago), and a hibernating polar bear nursing her cubs while half-asleep – could be sent away none the wiser as to the existential threat facing many of these species, seems ludicrous. (cont.)

A great shame.
On the plus side, I gather the Global Warming episode WILL be included in any DVD sets sold. So, at least some will get to see it for the first time that way. I have rather amusing images in my mind when certain 'deniers' pop it in the DVD player, perhaps with family and friends gathered around.... :evilgrin:

I look forward to that episode myself. I've found the last couple of Frozen Planet episodes rather similar to other recent documentaries and not as inspiring as the first couple of the series. I do hope the Global Warming episode is suitably hard hitting.....It bloody well ought to be!
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#36  Postby Animavore » Nov 22, 2011 3:07 pm

I only got around to watching this the other day.
Fav moments so far, the seal trying to catch the elusive penguin. Comedy gold.
Those caterpillars that freeze every winter and feed wuring the summer to become moths afters years.
The ice cave.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#37  Postby I'm With Stupid » Nov 22, 2011 3:14 pm

Seriously, what the fuck? Surely no global warming denier even has a subscription to the Discovery Channel? I would've assumed they specifically had it blocked in case they accidentally learned something.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#38  Postby DoctorE » Nov 25, 2011 2:58 pm

Coolness right here
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMhBuSBemRk[/youtube]
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Animavore » Dec 08, 2011 10:15 pm

Don't know if you heard but Discovery Channel backtracked their decision not to show the final episode on global warming in America.
http://news.mongabay.com/2011/1207-hanc ... very2.html
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 09, 2011 9:54 am

There was nothing new in the last episode. The arguments that DA used have been said many times and recorded often.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to The Arts & Entertainment