Frozen Planet

New BBC documentary narrated by Attenborough

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Frozen Planet

#41  Postby Paul » Dec 09, 2011 12:10 pm

and what's more he stated in an interview that I saw on BBC Breakfast the other day, that the makers deliberately stayed away from discussing the causes of the warming.

They merely looked at the evidence that warming is taking place and the effects that it is already having, and could have in future.

The pictures from the Shackleton expedition juxtaposed with the same scenes today were particularly striking.
"Peter, I can see your house from here!"
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby smudge » Dec 10, 2011 12:54 pm

Animavore wrote:Don't know if you heard but Discovery Channel backtracked their decision not to show the final episode on global warming in America.
http://news.mongabay.com/2011/1207-hanc ... very2.html

Yes, thats got to be a good thing.
Though I did think the 'warming' episode was a little 'soft'.
I'd rather hoped for something hard hitting, no punches pulled.

Oh well....
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 10, 2011 2:28 pm

Politics dear boy.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Nostalgia » Dec 10, 2011 9:52 pm

I didn't see anything wrong with it. As far as I'm concerned the debate's over.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 11, 2011 11:40 am

Tell the Americans, Chinese and Indians that. They dont think it is over.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Paul G » Dec 14, 2011 10:46 pm

Last episode annoyed me.

A possible benefit of the ice sheets melting is more access to natural resources such as oil. Erm, this is the problem in the first place, if people can get their hands on more oil, they'll be less inclined to pursue greener alternatives.
Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 15, 2011 11:11 am

Paul G wrote:Last episode annoyed me.

A possible benefit of the ice sheets melting is more access to natural resources such as oil. Erm, this is the problem in the first place, if people can get their hands on more oil, they'll be less inclined to pursue greener alternatives.

I think that was probably for the American market.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby JoeB » Dec 16, 2011 10:22 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:Tell the Americans, Chinese and Indians that. They dont think it is over.

Tell the average Dutchmen that and you'd be surprised how few accept global warming / climate change as legitimate. :nono:
JoeB
RS Donator

Name: Johan
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 16, 2011 4:02 pm

JoeB wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Tell the Americans, Chinese and Indians that. They dont think it is over.

Tell the average Dutchmen that and you'd be surprised how few accept global warming / climate change as legitimate. :nono:

Cant disagree with that. I had many a discussion in th office about it. The religious ones were the worst funny enough.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#50  Postby ramseyoptom » Dec 17, 2011 6:13 pm

Somewhat off topic but relevant to the discussion regarding Discovery Channel and Sir David's series, and I hope the members from across the pond can satisfy my curiosity.

When Discovery Channel use a different narrator, and in all the comments I see about the different narrators, do they remove Sir David's pieces to camera?

If they do why? Is it because they feel that USA viewers will realise that this authoritive figure actually conceived the series and will then feel cheated, or is it that they feel some 70 year old Brit is not photogenic enough, but they realise to drag Oprah out into the back of beyond and ask her to stand knee deep in bat shit is just asking too much of a rich TV Celebrity.

The reason for asking this question is nobody in all the forums where this is discussed does anyone mention the PTCs.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one.
George Bernard Shaw
ramseyoptom

Name: Ian
Male

Isle of Man (im)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to The Arts & Entertainment