Good Greek/Roman Humanist Philosophy Book Reccomendation

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Good Greek/Roman Humanist Philosophy Book Reccomendation

#1  Postby Ocelaris » Mar 02, 2010 9:52 pm

So in reading various ancient history books, I came across briefly some of the great philosophers, epicurius etc... anyways, I wanted to get a introductory book on that sort of humanistic philosophy, and have had a hard time coming up with one. Actually I thought I did a good job finding one; after a long search online weeding through reviews, finally found one, "The origins of greek thought" which ended up being mostly about war... not what I was looking for.

I was wondering if anyone had some reccomendations of early greek/roman philosophy... basically pre-monotheistic philosophy. Thanks, Bill
Ocelaris

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Good Greek/Roman Humanist Philosophy Book Reccomendation

#2  Postby Phillip A Ellis » Mar 08, 2010 1:12 pm

I have, awaiting me at my local bookshop, an interesting looking book on the Sophists. Although not strictly about philosophy, it would be of interest in any analysis of Greek thought.

Personally, though, I'd consider the Loeb editions of the standard authors, as they have the parallel texts of an edition of the originals facing translations into English, and would serve well as a reading library should you try and pick up the language.
Phillip A Ellis

Print view this post

Re: Good Greek/Roman Humanist Philosophy Book Reccomendation

#3  Postby Ocelaris » Mar 08, 2010 4:30 pm

Thanks! That will give me a good start of what to look for... As silly as it seems, I remember watching the series "Rome" and I think it was Cicero whom I admired and that's I think where I'll start.
Ocelaris

Print view this post

Return to The Arts & Entertainment