Infinity speaks!

Ask infinity your questions and it shall answer thee

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Infinity speaks!

#1  Postby cavarka9 » Jan 17, 2015 7:47 pm

Rules are simple, one asks the question and the other answers it from point of infinity.

00: ?
Every moment is a choice.Choices you make now determine your destiny.free yourself of old choices made. Success is a journey,not a destination.
cavarka9

Name: prajna

India (in)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Infinity speaks!

#2  Postby Thommo » Jan 17, 2015 7:55 pm

1/2n = ?
Thommo

Print view this post

#3  Postby scott1328 » Jan 17, 2015 10:46 pm

Nowt
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby cavarka9 » Jan 18, 2015 6:41 am

Thommo wrote:1/2n = ?

depends on n silly!
Every moment is a choice.Choices you make now determine your destiny.free yourself of old choices made. Success is a journey,not a destination.
cavarka9

India (in)
Print view this post

#5  Postby cavarka9 » Jan 18, 2015 6:42 am

scott1328 wrote:Nowt

now is all that exists
cavarka9

India (in)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Thommo » Jan 18, 2015 6:42 am

cavarka9 wrote:
Thommo wrote:1/2n = ?

depends on n silly!

cavarka9 wrote:Rules are simple, one asks the question and the other answers it from point of infinity.
Thommo

Print view this post

#7  Postby Thommo » Jan 18, 2015 6:43 am

cavarka9 wrote:

now is all that exists

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nowt
Thommo

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby cavarka9 » Jan 18, 2015 6:57 am

it is "Infinity speaks!". and it does depend on 'n', nowt makes no sense either, one must question in an intelligible manner to be begin with, and the answer ought to be from point of infinity. we are only human.
cavarka9

India (in)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Thommo » Jan 18, 2015 7:26 am

He understood my question and I understood his answer. Both are demonstrably intelligible.

It relates to (one of) the rigorous formulations of infinity in mathematics - which is the correct discipline for the study of quantity, which is what "infinity" is - any quantity defined to be greater than any finite quantity (where a finite quantity is essentially any quantity that can be obtained by a terminating process of successive addition of the number 1 "1+1+1+1+...+1", or is bounded above by such a quantity).

In this case given an algebraic form of a sequence xn (1/2n in the given example) we can talk about it's limit as n tends to infinity (what you might informally think of as what happens when n "is" infinite), with a sequence converging to some value l (in this case 0, or "nowt" in colloquial English) if for any given margin of error ɛ there is some value of n, such that for all terms greater than that n: l-ɛ < xn < l+ɛ (i.e. that we can always get within any target margin of error by going high enough in the sequence).
Thommo

Print view this post

#10  Postby cavarka9 » Jan 18, 2015 7:29 am

Thommo wrote:He understood my question and I understood his answer. Both are demonstrably intelligible.

It relates to (one of) the rigorous formulations of infinity in mathematics - which is the correct discipline for the study of quantity, which is what "infinity" is - any quantity defined to be greater than any finite quantity (where a finite quantity is essentially any quantity that can be obtained by a terminating process of successive addition of the number 1 "1+1+1+1+...+1", or is bounded above by such a quantity).

In this case given an algebraic form of a sequence xn (1/2n in the given example) we can talk about it's limit as n tends to infinity (what you might informally think of as what happens when n "is" infinite), with a sequence converging to some value l (in this case 0, or "nowt" in colloquial English) if for any given margin of error ɛ there is some value of n, such that for all terms greater than that n: l-ɛ < xn < l+ɛ (i.e. that we can always get within any target margin of error by going high enough in the sequence).

i get it, but it must be said that n tends to infinity. because for n between 0 and 1, its not zero.
cavarka9

India (in)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Thommo » Jan 18, 2015 7:31 am

cavarka9 wrote:
Thommo wrote:He understood my question and I understood his answer. Both are demonstrably intelligible.

i get it, but it must be said that n tends to infinity. because for n between 0 and 1, its not zero.

Again - You specified that in the topic:
cavarka9 wrote:Rules are simple, one asks the question and the other answers it from point of infinity.
Thommo

Print view this post

#12  Postby cavarka9 » Jan 18, 2015 7:35 am

Thommo wrote:
cavarka9 wrote:

Again - You specified that in the topic:

well, but does infinity not understand what finite means?.
cavarka9

India (in)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Thommo » Jan 18, 2015 7:38 am

cavarka9 wrote:well, but does infinity not understand what finite means?.

Infinity is an abstract concept it doesn't "understand" anything.
Thommo

Print view this post

#14  Postby cavarka9 » Jan 18, 2015 7:48 am

Thommo wrote:

infinite can give birth to sentience, like us.

ok, let me clarify the rules then, questions must be asked from point of human beings and answers must be from point of infinite to the point of human beings.
cavarka9

India (in)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Thommo » Jan 18, 2015 7:50 am

cavarka9 wrote:infinite can give birth to sentience, like us.

ok, let me clarify the rules then, questions must be asked from point of human beings and answers must be from point of infinite to the point of human beings.

That sounds rather nonsensical, rather like an exercise in projection. I'll leave you to it.
Thommo

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby cavarka9 » Jan 18, 2015 7:53 am

Thommo wrote:
cavarka9 wrote:infinite can give birth to sentience, like us.

That sounds rather nonsensical, rather like an exercise in projection. I'll leave you to it.

but i thought this was arts and entertainment section.
cavarka9

India (in)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Thommo » Jan 18, 2015 7:56 am

cavarka9 wrote:but i thought this was arts and entertainment section.

It is, I'm not asking you to stop, but it has become apparent that what you find entertaining I do not, so I'm stopping.

ETA: To be more explicit, my idea of artistic and entertaining from the point of view of infinity was how my exchange with Scott went, or something like this:-

I found the need to elaborate half a dozen times only for you to tell me you already understood a touch tedious, sorry.
Thommo

Print view this post

#18  Postby cavarka9 » Jan 18, 2015 8:06 am

Thommo wrote:
cavarka9 wrote:but i thought this was arts and entertainment section.

It is, I'm not asking you to stop, but it has become apparent that what you find entertaining I do not, so I'm stopping.

ETA: To be more explicit, my idea of artistic and entertaining from the point of view of infinity was how my exchange with Scott went, or something like this:-

I found the need to elaborate half a dozen times only for you to tell me you already understood a touch tedious, sorry.

hence i opened another thread for math beauty, formulas etc. Looking for your contributions there!. Please post this or other impressive fractals with the generating formulas!
cavarka9

India (in)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Arcanyn » Jan 18, 2015 8:16 am

cavarka9 wrote:
Thommo wrote:

infinite can give birth to sentience, like us.

Well, I would answer, but being infinitely far away I can't hear your question.
Power doesn't corrupt, it reveals. Only when someone is free from constraints and consequences do they show their true character.

Sign the petition for the William Lane Craig/David Icke debate here:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/craigickedebate/signatures
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#20  Postby scott1328 » Jan 18, 2015 3:20 pm

Thommo wrote:
cavarka9 wrote:

now is all that exists