It's BLOOMSDAY!

WIll you celebrate?

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

It's BLOOMSDAY!

#1  Postby NilsGLindgren » Jun 16, 2011 11:48 am

James Joyce wrote:Stately plump Buck Mulligan stepped up

WIll you buy a pork kidney? Some cream? A lemon scented soap?
Are you going to a funeral? A pub? A maternity ward?
Will you eat a gorgonzola sandwich? Drink a glass of (cheap) red Burgundy? Guiness?
H.L. Menken: "Puritanism - the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."
User avatar
NilsGLindgren
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Nyarla Thotep
Posts: 6454

Country: Sweden
Sweden (se)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: It's BLOOMSDAY!

#2  Postby Animavore » Jun 16, 2011 1:17 pm

I might try to cross Dublin without passing a pub and to my (roughly) quarterly catching up on Frank Delaney's re:Joyce,a weekly 6 minute podcast taking the novel Ulysess line by line exploring the many themes, allegories and references.
I think he's still on the first chapter after just over a year :)
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44680
Age: 42
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: It's BLOOMSDAY!

#3  Postby NilsGLindgren » Jun 16, 2011 2:05 pm

That article had a few things wrong.
1) Bloom does not, on this particular morning, eat liver, but kidney.
2) Bloom does not partake of great volumes of Guinness. In fact, his (relative) abstentiousness is remarked upon.
H.L. Menken: "Puritanism - the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."
User avatar
NilsGLindgren
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Nyarla Thotep
Posts: 6454

Country: Sweden
Sweden (se)
Print view this post

Re: It's BLOOMSDAY!

#4  Postby rJD » Jun 16, 2011 2:20 pm

Animavore wrote:I might try to cross Dublin without passing a pub and to my (roughly) quarterly catching up on Frank Delaney's re:Joyce,a weekly 6 minute podcast taking the novel Ulysess line by line exploring the many themes, allegories and references.
I think he's still on the first chapter after just over a year :)

Thanks for pointing out the Delaney, Animavore - I've been listening to it off and on for the last few months and, yes, he's only just finished chapter 1 after 53 podcasts. I want him to catch up to where I was (Stephen in the library, I think, or maybe a bit further on), so that I can read along but I've got a terrible feeling that he'll still be on chapter 2 by the time he, I, or both of us are pushing up daisies.

I hadn't noticed it was Bloomsday, so I might grab some gorgonzola (the Missus won't eat kidneys and, anyway, that should have been breakfast) and fresh bread on the way home tonight.
I was "jd" in RDF, and am still in Rationalia.com

"Wooberish" - a neologism for woo expressed in gibberish, spread the "meme".

Image
User avatar
rJD
RS Donator
 
Name: John
Posts: 2934
Male

Country: God's Own Country
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: It's BLOOMSDAY!

#5  Postby NilsGLindgren » Jun 16, 2011 2:28 pm

Don't forget the (cheap) red Burgundy!
A basket of pears for you lady might come in handy :naughty2:
EDIT: Wrong naughty-smiley, oops!
H.L. Menken: "Puritanism - the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."
User avatar
NilsGLindgren
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Nyarla Thotep
Posts: 6454

Country: Sweden
Sweden (se)
Print view this post

Re: It's BLOOMSDAY!

#6  Postby rJD » Jun 16, 2011 2:38 pm

NilsGLindgren wrote:Don't forget the (cheap) red Burgundy!

It's a "school night" so I daren't drink. :waah:

A basket of pears for you lady might come in handy :naughty2:

I haven't read that far! :grin:
I was "jd" in RDF, and am still in Rationalia.com

"Wooberish" - a neologism for woo expressed in gibberish, spread the "meme".

Image
User avatar
rJD
RS Donator
 
Name: John
Posts: 2934
Male

Country: God's Own Country
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: It's BLOOMSDAY!

#7  Postby Lee Vegas » Jun 16, 2011 4:09 pm

NilsGLindgren wrote:
James Joyce wrote:Stately plump Buck Mulligan stepped up came from the stairhead...



FIFY
"Throughout history every mystery ever solved has turned out to be not magic! -- Tim Minchin
User avatar
Lee Vegas
 
Posts: 127
Age: 53
Male

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: It's BLOOMSDAY!

#8  Postby campermon » Jun 16, 2011 5:09 pm

yes yes yes yes yes
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
User avatar
campermon
RS Donator
 
Posts: 17434
Age: 50
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: It's BLOOMSDAY!

#9  Postby NilsGLindgren » Jun 16, 2011 6:55 pm

Lee Vegas wrote:
NilsGLindgren wrote:
James Joyce wrote:Stately plump Buck Mulligan stepped up came from the stairhead...



FIFY

:oops:
So sorry ... haven't read it since 2004 ... <commits seppuku by mercilessly beating self over the head with bottle of Guinness>
H.L. Menken: "Puritanism - the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."
User avatar
NilsGLindgren
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Nyarla Thotep
Posts: 6454

Country: Sweden
Sweden (se)
Print view this post

Re: It's BLOOMSDAY!

#10  Postby Animavore » Jun 16, 2011 7:02 pm

So what's everyone's favourite chapter?

Mine is either Aeolus, Sirens or Nausicaa.
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44680
Age: 42
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: It's BLOOMSDAY!

#11  Postby Fallible » Jun 16, 2011 7:53 pm

campermon wrote:yes yes yes yes yes


He said I was a flower of the mountain, you know.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: It's BLOOMSDAY!

#12  Postby orpheus » Jun 16, 2011 7:56 pm

and the sea, oh the sea


...

I'm still recovering from pneumonia - very low energy - so I'll just content myself with re-reading.
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
User avatar
orpheus
 
Posts: 7274
Age: 56
Male

Country: New York, USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: It's BLOOMSDAY!

#13  Postby campermon » Jun 16, 2011 8:00 pm

orpheus wrote:and the sea, oh the sea


...

I'm still recovering from pneumonia - very low energy - so I'll just content myself with re-reading.


Ahh!! A bit of light reading is just what you need after a serious illness!! :lol:

Stay on the mend! :thumbup:

:cheers:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
User avatar
campermon
RS Donator
 
Posts: 17434
Age: 50
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: It's BLOOMSDAY!

#14  Postby campermon » Jun 16, 2011 8:02 pm

PS - I keep meaning to re-read it! I've found the time to re-read my favourite chapters over the years (can't remember what they are now!), but it's been a while since I had some serious time for a proper reread.

Might make it my summer project (along with the chicks and veg garden!!)

;)
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
User avatar
campermon
RS Donator
 
Posts: 17434
Age: 50
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: It's BLOOMSDAY!

#15  Postby NilsGLindgren » Jun 16, 2011 8:03 pm

Animavore wrote:So what's everyone's favourite chapter?

Mine is either Aeolus, Sirens or Nausicaa.

Yes.
yes yes yes
H.L. Menken: "Puritanism - the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."
User avatar
NilsGLindgren
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Nyarla Thotep
Posts: 6454

Country: Sweden
Sweden (se)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: It's BLOOMSDAY!

#16  Postby Animavore » Jun 16, 2011 8:07 pm

campermon wrote:PS - I keep meaning to re-read it! I've found the time to re-read my favourite chapters over the years (can't remember what they are now!), but it's been a while since I had some serious time for a proper reread.

Might make it my summer project (along with the chicks and veg garden!!)

;)

I need to re-read, too.

I might read it when I'm finished the Bible.
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44680
Age: 42
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: It's BLOOMSDAY!

#17  Postby campermon » Jun 16, 2011 8:08 pm

Animavore wrote:
campermon wrote:PS - I keep meaning to re-read it! I've found the time to re-read my favourite chapters over the years (can't remember what they are now!), but it's been a while since I had some serious time for a proper reread.

Might make it my summer project (along with the chicks and veg garden!!)

;)

I need to re-read, too.

I might read it when I'm finished the Bible.


I attempted to read the bible once, but it made less sense than 'Finnegans Wake' so I gave up!

:)
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
User avatar
campermon
RS Donator
 
Posts: 17434
Age: 50
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: It's BLOOMSDAY!

#18  Postby NilsGLindgren » Jun 16, 2011 8:13 pm

I'd much rather re-read Ulysses than The Wholly Wibble! In fact, having nothing better to do, I´ll get going wednesday when my vacation starts! YES! YES!YES!
H.L. Menken: "Puritanism - the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."
User avatar
NilsGLindgren
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Nyarla Thotep
Posts: 6454

Country: Sweden
Sweden (se)
Print view this post

Re: It's BLOOMSDAY!

#19  Postby Animavore » Jun 16, 2011 8:15 pm

I just finished Genesis today http://www.rationalskepticism.org/chris ... ml#p890734

I don't think it's that bad :)
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44680
Age: 42
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: It's BLOOMSDAY!

#20  Postby NilsGLindgren » Jun 16, 2011 8:18 pm

No, it's worse. Get going on Ulysses immediately! I mean it! No dawdling!
H.L. Menken: "Puritanism - the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."
User avatar
NilsGLindgren
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Nyarla Thotep
Posts: 6454

Country: Sweden
Sweden (se)
Print view this post

Next

Return to The Arts & Entertainment

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest