John Carter of Mars

I usually hate adaptions but....

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

John Carter of Mars

#1  Postby smudge » Dec 05, 2011 7:43 am

So, Disney's John Carter movie will be released in March 2012. Based on A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

I LOVED reading ERB as a kid but I generally HATE movie adaptions (as some on here may know from other threads ;) ). What Do I do?! :? I cant help it! :o I'm excited about the movie despite myself! But I'm pretty damn sure I'm going to hate it! It will almost certainly make me miserable! :nono:

Any other ERB fans with a similar dilemma?
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: John Carter of Mars

#2  Postby FreshwaterSeaCowHero » Dec 05, 2011 7:44 am

I have a book that has compiled that series of books in that universe... Might start reading it finally.
I'm getting my turtleneck. I'm not defusing a bomb in this! - Sterling Archer
FreshwaterSeaCowHero

Name: Cameron
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby infiniteentropy » Dec 05, 2011 8:30 am

I read them on kindle as part of a collection of old science fiction. I really enjoyed the stories once I managed to get beyond the what was known when it was written and what we now know about Mars. A good read and almost quaint is how I'd describe the series. From the trailer the imaging doesn't look too disimilar from what I had in my mind, but Carter looks different. I imagined short hair sides and back with a floppy fringe, not sure why - I can't remember any description in the book.

Edit for terrible spelling
Last edited by infiniteentropy on Dec 05, 2011 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
infiniteentropy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby smudge » Dec 05, 2011 6:54 pm

infiniteentropy wrote: I imagined short hair sides and back with a floppy fringe, not sure why - I can't remember any description in the book.

No...
But I always imagined he looked rather as Frazetta pictured him.
And Dejah Thoris...and Tars Tarkas......
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby j.mills » Dec 05, 2011 7:25 pm

Disney? That doesn't bode well for the buxom wenches... :shifty:

(Not that I've read ERB. I just feel there ought to be buxom wenches. Wherever possible.)
WordsVoiceLimericky tweets

There is grandeur in this view of life
Where one becomes many through struggle and strife,
But the Mother of Mysteries is another man's call:
Why is there something 'stead of nothing at all?

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby infiniteentropy » Dec 05, 2011 9:54 pm

smudge wrote:
infiniteentropy wrote: I imagined short hair sides and back with a floppy fringe, not sure why - I can't remember any description in the book.

No...
But I always imagined he looked rather as Frazetta pictured him.
And Dejah Thoris...and Tars Tarkas......

I think it was because of the introduction mentioning the war, I never imagine a Conan type character, although I know he dressed in that fashion once there.
infiniteentropy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 05, 2011 10:44 pm

I have pretty low hopes for the movie, it looks like it was made by the 300 guy. Great, just what I need, a guy yelling at me for 90 minutes :) I'm a fan of the original books, good rollicking fun and gawd awful writing. I had considered doing a comic version of the first few books just because I figured nobody would ever try to modernize it. So much for that :P

My version would definitely take after Frazetta, buxom women and as close as you could possibly get to nudity at all times.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby j.mills » Dec 05, 2011 11:28 pm

300? Wiki sez the director is Andrew Stanton, of Finding Nemo and WALL-E. :dunno: It adds that it's the first of three, and that:
Jim Morris, general manager of Pixar, said the film will have a unique look separate from Frank Frazetta's illustrations, which they found dated.
WordsVoiceLimericky tweets

There is grandeur in this view of life
Where one becomes many through struggle and strife,
But the Mother of Mysteries is another man's call:
Why is there something 'stead of nothing at all?

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 06, 2011 12:00 am

j.mills wrote:300? Wiki sez the director is Andrew Stanton, of Finding Nemo and WALL-E. :dunno: It adds that it's the first of three, and that:
Jim Morris, general manager of Pixar, said the film will have a unique look separate from Frank Frazetta's illustrations, which they found dated.

Didn't mean to say that it was directed by him, meant that it looks like it was done by the 300 guy to me :mrgreen:

Frazetta dated? :mob:

It does seem to have a unique look, the Tharks look quite a bit scrawnier than I'd imagine for a warlord tribe.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby smudge » Dec 06, 2011 7:57 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:

It does seem to have a unique look, the Tharks look quite a bit scrawnier than I'd imagine for a warlord tribe.

Yeh, agree about the Tharks. A skinny Tars Tarkas will not do!

Here's the official site with trailer and stills. Some of it does look damn cool. Some typical CGI lacking weight and solidity though...Ho hum....
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to The Arts & Entertainment