Lord of the Rings Online

Who plays it?

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Lord of the Rings Online

#1  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 04, 2011 10:05 am

I just started playing this game (rather old, I know) and went for a year's subs. I remember seeing that some people here play/used to play it and wonder if there's still anyone who does. If you do and are on Snowbourne - let's meet up! I have been playing for 6 weeks and I am yet to really do any fellowship stuff! Even my minstrel's never pressed a heal button! :grin:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Lord of the Rings Online

#2  Postby andyx1205 » Nov 07, 2011 9:55 am

Spearthrower wrote:I just started playing this game (rather old, I know) and went for a year's subs. I remember seeing that some people here play/used to play it and wonder if there's still anyone who does. If you do and are on Snowbourne - let's meet up! I have been playing for 6 weeks and I am yet to really do any fellowship stuff! Even my minstrel's never pressed a heal button! :grin:

I used to play LOTRO from when it was released in 2007 to around early 2008, then I took a long break and got back into it when the Moria expansion came out late 2008 to early 2009. I was on the Landroval server, my account was Gilendil1205 (first character as Gilendil, a Hobbit Guardian, got it to around level 55, also had a level 50 Human Captain and 50 Elf Warden).

I actually followed the development of the game when it was called Middle-Earth Online (I was on those old forums, I think that's around 2005-2006 or something, longgg time ago!). It was disappointing that the game had so much promise from when it was called MEO but I guess the developers wanted to give it that WoW feeling. I was a part of the beta for LOTRO as well.

Haven't touched the game in a couple years, but I might get back into it next year, just because I'm a diehard LOTR fan and would love to see how they've expanded the world (they've released many new areas since I quit, such as Mirkwood, Lorien, and I think they've got Isengard now too).
“I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full.” - Trotsky
andyx1205

Name: Andy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby mrjonno » Nov 07, 2011 11:52 am

How does it compare to World of Warcraft (note I consider WOW to be good)?

I'm married now so MMPORG are a thing of the past for me anyway
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby babel » Nov 07, 2011 11:53 am

mrjonno wrote:How does it compare to World of Warcraft (note I consider WOW to be good)?

No more multiplayer eh?
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#5  Postby mrjonno » Nov 07, 2011 11:56 am

Women get pissed of if you spend 8 hours on a PC, or need 2-3 hours straight no distrubance while playing an instance
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby babel » Nov 07, 2011 12:11 pm

That's one time consuming game, mrjonno.
I though travian was bad, but WOW is ridiculous.
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 12, 2011 11:47 am

mrjonno wrote:How does it compare to World of Warcraft (note I consider WOW to be good)?

It's similar in many ways. It's less dangerous in general than WoW in my opinion. The graphics are more realistic and quite nice. The sound is awesome. The players... meh same as WoW so far, worse in some cases! :roll:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 12, 2011 11:50 am

andyx1205 wrote:
Haven't touched the game in a couple years, but I might get back into it next year, just because I'm a diehard LOTR fan and would love to see how they've expanded the world (they've released many new areas since I quit, such as Mirkwood, Lorien, and I think they've got Isengard now too).

Yeah, I started, by chance, the day Isengard came out.

From what I've seen, there's a lot more to the game than there was last time you played. Lots of skirmishes, legendary items, player versus monster-player. Also, as it's free to play now, you'd probably start again already being a premium player if you reopen your account, and aside from expansions, probably wouldn't need to buy anything. If you do happen back, come and make a char on Snowbourn! :)

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby paceetrate » Nov 12, 2011 9:28 pm

mrjonno wrote:Women get pissed of if you spend 8 hours on a PC, or need 2-3 hours straight no distrubance while playing an instance

Hey, I'm one woman that wouldn't mind...... As long as there were two PCs in the house. ;D

Anyway, I was in the LotRO beta back when I still had a Windows computer. :P I hear it runs decently on Crossover, so I might try to get it to work again if I feel like it. I love LotR, but I just couldn't really get into LotRO like I got into WoW. Maybe it's just because it was the beta and everything was so rough and unpolished then. :think:
paceetrate

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to The Arts & Entertainment