Marvel Comics recasts superhero Thor - as a woman

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Marvel Comics recasts superhero Thor - as a woman

#1  Postby DougC » Jul 15, 2014 11:38 pm

To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Marvel Comics recasts superhero Thor - as a woman

#2  Postby Nicko » Jul 16, 2014 12:16 am

I think it's already been done before in What If's and temporary storylines.

My prediction is that this will be a temporary story arc that will end with the male Thor back wielding the hammer. Marvel will find that the kind of person who is going to be impressed by this change wouldn't buy comics no matter what. Meanwhile, the real new readership that is being attracted to the comic - that is, people who have watched the MCU movies - will just be confused as fuck.

There are characters in the MU that could much more creditably be handed off to a female "titleholder". Actually, Marvel has already done this with Captain Marvel.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Imagination Theory » Jul 16, 2014 12:35 am

I buy comics. I'm liking it.
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За ложь меня предавших губ,
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что мир жесток и груб,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Mr.Samsa » Jul 16, 2014 1:07 am

Imagination Theory wrote:I buy comics. I'm liking it.

Agreed! I think there has been a growing dissatisfaction with the implicit sexism of comics among the comic community and I think they will love this, similarly to how they embraced Bat Girl's new costume and talks of getting Wonder Woman into a pair of pants.
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#5  Postby Nicko » Jul 16, 2014 2:37 am

Doesn't actually refute my point. My point is that there is no evidence to suggest the existence of an untapped market of people who are not buying Thor comics because Thor is a bloke and would start buying them if Thor were female.

Marvel already has some interesting female characters who could be pushed more aggressively.

It also has existing male heroes who could be credibly revamped as female: characters whose identity is inherently a kind of "title" that can be passed to another person.

Female Captain America? Bring it on. Female Thor? WTF?

And pants, Samsa? Yes. Please. Pants.

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Jul 16, 2014 2:46 am

Pants is OK, though I imagine if they wore leather pants our heroines would to be prone to a little thrush if worn too often. As they are cartoon characters and not real women, I guess they are not overly concerned with such hazards. But some of their female readers who mimic them might be. :)
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#7  Postby Mr.Samsa » Jul 16, 2014 3:22 am

Nicko wrote:

Doesn't actually refute my point. My point is that there is no evidence to suggest the existence of an untapped market of people who are not buying Thor comics because Thor is a bloke and would start buying them if Thor were female.

I think you're making a slightly different claim than the one IT responded to there. You initially said: "Marvel will find that the kind of person who is going to be impressed by this change wouldn't buy comics no matter what", and since IT is both impressed by the change AND is willing to buy the comic, then it does refute that claim (as written at least).

If we're talking about an untapped market then I don't see why not. I don't think there is an implication that there were people out there specifically not buying Thor comics because he was a guy but rather that it was a character that just didn't appeal to them. Pushing something as radical as replacing him with a female character seems like something that could get people interested, especially as it seems like she's going to be a badass and not just a chick with big boobs in spandex.

It also comes off the back of recent changes, like DC's "New 52" and Marvel "NOW!" which have reset storylines so that more people can get into it, and the adoption of new technologies to access comics (e.g. Comixology), which means that if there's ever a time where any changes and diversification is going to stick then it's now.

I don't think there will be a problem of "confusion" with people getting into it due to the movies any more so than there was confusion when Otto replaced Spider-man in Superior Spider-man.

Nicko wrote:Marvel already has some interesting female characters who could be pushed more aggressively.

I think they're doing both but at the end of the day it's what the writer thinks will make the best storyline and it seems like he's been working his way towards this for a while, so it seems silly to question him now simply because of the announcement.

Nicko wrote:It also has existing male heroes who could be credibly revamped as female: characters whose identity is inherently a kind of "title" that can be passed to another person.

Female Captain America? Bring it on. Female Thor? WTF?

Why is Thor specifically a problem? When Thor falls from grace and his hammer rejects him, why would it have to be a man to take his place? We don't even know the specifics of the situation - they might use the same name because the new Thor is a clone of the original so has the same name.

I think it's more of a "wait and see" thing rather than a "WTF" thing.

Nicko wrote:And pants, Samsa? Yes. Please. Pants.

I like this kind of design:

Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby LucidFlight » Jul 16, 2014 3:36 am

I was going to suggest a pantsuit. However, I love that leather jacket ensemble.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby josephchoi » Jul 16, 2014 4:29 am

I don't like the idea of taking existing characters and turning them into the opposite sex, or a different race or whatnot. It's taking a lazy approach to an interesting concept for a cheap ploy IMO.

That said, I do like Miles Morales as the new Ultimate Spider-Man.
Donuts don't wear alligator shoes!
josephchoi

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Jul 16, 2014 5:01 am

josephchoi wrote:I don't like the idea of taking existing characters and turning them into the opposite sex, or a different race or whatnot. It's taking a lazy approach to an interesting concept for a cheap ploy IMO.

I don't think entertainment should reinforce bigotry, even if unintended, and especially when targeted at [mainly] the young. :think:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#11  Postby Imagination Theory » Jul 16, 2014 5:23 am

josephchoi wrote:I don't like the idea of taking existing characters and turning them into the opposite sex, or a different race or whatnot. It's taking a lazy approach to an interesting concept for a cheap ploy IMO.

It's not a cheep ploy. It's getting away from prejudice. That's a good thing. Now I hope they do the same with video games, anime, etc. (and of course in real life!). You should hear some of the ridiculous augments against getting rid of the bigotry. :yuk:
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За ложь меня предавших губ,
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что мир жесток и груб,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Nicko » Jul 16, 2014 7:11 am

Mr.Samsa wrote:I think you're making a slightly different claim than the one IT responded to there. You initially said: "Marvel will find that the kind of person who is going to be impressed by this change wouldn't buy comics no matter what", and since IT is both impressed by the change AND is willing to buy the comic, then it does refute that claim (as written at least).

Ah, fair enough.

Mr.Samsa wrote:Why is Thor specifically a problem? When Thor falls from grace and his hammer rejects him, why would it have to be a man to take his place? We don't even know the specifics of the situation - they might use the same name because the new Thor is a clone of the original so has the same name.

New wielder of Mjolnir? Okay.

That new wielder is a woman? Okay.

That new wielder takes the name "Thor"? WTF.

Mr.Samsa wrote:I think it's more of a "wait and see" thing rather than a "WTF" thing.

I think it's more of a WTF thing.

Hey, it's only comics.

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Ironclad » Jul 16, 2014 7:41 am

Nicko wrote:I think it's already been done before in What If's and temporary storylines.

My prediction is that this will be a temporary story arc that will end with the male Thor back wielding the hammer. Marvel will find that the kind of person who is going to be impressed by this change wouldn't buy comics no matter what. Meanwhile, the real new readership that is being attracted to the comic - that is, people who have watched the MCU movies - will just be confused as fuck.

I smell Loki's trickery.. :think:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Nicko » Jul 16, 2014 7:46 am

Ironclad wrote:
Nicko wrote:I think it's already been done before in What If's and temporary storylines.

I think that was the storyline I was talking about.

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#15  Postby epepke » Jul 16, 2014 7:56 am

A kind of Thor/Tiresias mixup might be kind of fun, but don't tell Hera.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Jul 16, 2014 8:05 am

Portraying gods as absurd is probably not a bad idea......
Jayjay4547 wrote:
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#17  Postby Fenrir » Jul 16, 2014 8:13 am

Nicko wrote:
Ironclad wrote:

I think that was the storyline I was talking about.

Casting Loki as female now, interesting and true to the Eddas.

Not sure if comic readers would appreciate Loki as a female horse though.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#18  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jul 16, 2014 8:34 am

A female Thor brings out the Robert Crumb in me. I approve. :thumbup:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Nicko » Jul 16, 2014 8:43 am

CdesignProponentsist wrote:A female Thor brings out the Robert Crumb in me. I approve. :thumbup:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that mental image. I'm off to scrub my brain with steel wool.

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#20  Postby tuco » Jul 16, 2014 8:44 am

Since we probably ever won't have any data to confirm we can hope things will actually change in real life. Little by little?
tuco

Print view this post

Next

Return to The Arts & Entertainment