Marvel Comics recasts superhero Thor - as a woman

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Marvel Comics recasts superhero Thor - as a woman

#81  Postby LucidFlight » Jan 18, 2018 5:19 pm

aban57 wrote:
Mike_L wrote:Iron(wo)man...!

Marvel's new Iron Man is not white or a man
2016-07-08

Marvel has just released details on who will take over the reins from Tony Stark.
In an interview with Time, Marvel writer Brian Michael Bendis revealed that the new Iron Man will be a 15-year-old teenage black girl, Riri Matthews.
Marvel took to Twitter to release the first image of the new character.

Image
...

Full article at:
http://www.channel24.co.za/Movies/News/marvels-new-iron-man-is-not-white-or-a-man-20160708

Time article at:
http://time.com/4394478/iron-man-riri-williams-tony-stark/


Impossible. How does the helmet stay on ?


Ironzhe.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
User avatar
LucidFlight
RS Donator
 
Name: Kento
Posts: 10801
Male

Country: UK/US/AU/SG
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Marvel Comics recasts superhero Thor - as a woman

#82  Postby Ironclad » Jan 18, 2018 5:23 pm

The issue I have with this is that this child has no money to support trail after trial, endless research and expensive failure. Tony Stark had already built the arc reactor whilst having a weapons facility making his business billions, he was free to splash the cash and miniaturise his crude early models. A university could not support her ideas, I'd imagine. And a patron, even Stark, would demand to see a viable product first, not just a 'bright spark'.
I wonder if Stark takes her as some kind of apprentice maybe, and see something in her and allows her to play with the arc reactor, because I can't buy it if she creates viable suits without help. They world cost more than a fighter jet to make.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
User avatar
Ironclad
RS Donator
 
Name: Nudge-Nudge
Posts: 23925
Age: 52
Male

Country: Wink-Wink
Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

Re: Marvel Comics recasts superhero Thor - as a woman

#83  Postby willhud9 » Jan 18, 2018 9:30 pm

Peter Parker is able to make synthetic webs which are durable to flex and withstand falling cars living on a poor salary (or being in high school) but making an iron man suit is too far-fetched? :p
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
User avatar
willhud9
 
Name: William
Posts: 19351
Age: 29
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Marvel Comics recasts superhero Thor - as a woman

#84  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 19, 2018 12:57 am

Seriously.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14647
Age: 41
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Marvel Comics recasts superhero Thor - as a woman

#85  Postby laklak » Jan 19, 2018 5:35 am

It's sometimes difficult to suspend belief, ain't it? I mean, how does Clark Kent get away with it? If I met you without my glasses on, and then with them on, you wouldn't know who the fuck I was?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 20878
Age: 67
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: Marvel Comics recasts superhero Thor - as a woman

#86  Postby Mike_L » Jan 19, 2018 7:22 am

Found a few panels online...

Image

Image

Don't know about the story. All I know is that the art doesn't appeal to me. Too obviously traced from photographs and/or CG models... and the colour-rendering is that same washed-out palette they use in most of the Marvel movies.

:thumbdown:
User avatar
Mike_L
 
Posts: 14367
Male

Country: South Africa
Print view this post

Re: Marvel Comics recasts superhero Thor - as a woman

#87  Postby Laurens » Jan 25, 2018 9:28 am

I think both camps, the side who champion this as a great thing for feminism, and those who are horrified and upset that a male character could be recast as a female, are missing the point. Its a fucking comicbook character. Grow up, it really doesn't matter.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
"In so far as a scientific statement speaks about reality, it must be falsifiable; and in so far as it is not falsifiable, it does not speak about reality."
- Karl Popper

Blog | Music
User avatar
Laurens
 
Name: Laurens Southgate
Posts: 384
Age: 33
Male

Country: England
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Marvel Comics recasts superhero Thor - as a woman

#88  Postby Mike_L » Jan 25, 2018 12:37 pm

:this: :nod:
Laurens wrote:Its a fucking comicbook character.

...with the title simply going through a story "arc" to break the tedium of a character that's been around since nineteen sixty-something. There'll be the inevitable reset, with a death maybe...
Robot Chicken nails comic-book lore...



:smile:
User avatar
Mike_L
 
Posts: 14367
Male

Country: South Africa
Print view this post

Re: Marvel Comics recasts superhero Thor - as a woman

#89  Postby felltoearth » Jan 25, 2018 12:57 pm

^triggered
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 14080
Age: 53

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Marvel Comics recasts superhero Thor - as a woman

#90  Postby Nicko » Jan 26, 2018 10:30 am

Laurens wrote:Grow up, it really doesn't matter.


In terms of infantilism, I'd rate posting in a thread to inform everyone who cares about the topic that you don't care about the topic a fuck of a lot more immature than being silly enough to care about comic books.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
User avatar
Nicko
 
Name: Nick Williams
Posts: 8641
Age: 44
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Marvel Comics recasts superhero Thor - as a woman

#91  Postby Nicko » Jan 26, 2018 10:42 am

Regarding Riri Williams, the criticisms I've seen focus less on her race and gender and more on the fact that the character - while supposedly a supergenius - behaves like sociopathic halfwit. One of the better theories out there is that she's being set up to become a super-villain.

"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
User avatar
Nicko
 
Name: Nick Williams
Posts: 8641
Age: 44
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Marvel Comics recasts superhero Thor - as a woman

#92  Postby LucidFlight » Jan 26, 2018 11:43 am

Is a supervillain who is black and a woman a good thing for SJWs or not? On one hand, she'd be strong and powerful, on par with her white male supervillian counterparts. On the other hand, she would be an evil black woman, perpetuating the idea that black people are bad. :think:

Or, perhaps, we shouldn't care about her skin colour and gender at all. :ask:
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
User avatar
LucidFlight
RS Donator
 
Name: Kento
Posts: 10801
Male

Country: UK/US/AU/SG
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Marvel Comics recasts superhero Thor - as a woman

#93  Postby Laurens » Jan 26, 2018 12:14 pm

Nicko wrote:
Laurens wrote:Grow up, it really doesn't matter.


In terms of infantilism, I'd rate posting in a thread to inform everyone who cares about the topic that you don't care about the topic a fuck of a lot more immature than being silly enough to care about comic books.
My point is not that grown people shouldn't enjoy comics, but that grown people who do enjoy comics ought to have the self awareness to understand that drawings of men and women in ridiculous costumes fighting supervillians is not something to get worked up about in relation to social justice issues.

I know for a fact that there are pathetic man-children out there on reddit complaining about stupid SJWs taking over "their" comics and going on about how Thor was a man before he was even a comic book character. I also know that there will be people praising Marvel for doing this as though it were a worthwhile contribution to the plight of women everywhere. It's neither. And it's not the sort of conversation sensible adults should be bringing out as a social justice matter.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
"In so far as a scientific statement speaks about reality, it must be falsifiable; and in so far as it is not falsifiable, it does not speak about reality."
- Karl Popper

Blog | Music
User avatar
Laurens
 
Name: Laurens Southgate
Posts: 384
Age: 33
Male

Country: England
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Marvel Comics recasts superhero Thor - as a woman

#94  Postby aban57 » Jan 26, 2018 12:21 pm

Laurens wrote:
Nicko wrote:
Laurens wrote:Grow up, it really doesn't matter.


In terms of infantilism, I'd rate posting in a thread to inform everyone who cares about the topic that you don't care about the topic a fuck of a lot more immature than being silly enough to care about comic books.
My point is not that grown people shouldn't enjoy comics, but that grown people who do enjoy comics ought to have the self awareness to understand that drawings of men and women in ridiculous costumes fighting supervillians is not something to get worked up about in relation to social justice issues.

I know for a fact that there are pathetic man-children out there on reddit complaining about stupid SJWs taking over "their" comics and going on about how Thor was a man before he was even a comic book character. I also know that there will be people praising Marvel for doing this as though it were a worthwhile contribution to the plight of women everywhere. It's neither. And it's not the sort of conversation sensible adults should be bringing out as a social justice matter.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk


You're just forgetting something about this world : symbols matter.
Maybe you don't like it, maybe you think they shouldn't, but that's just how it is.
aban57
 
Name: Cindy
Posts: 7442
Age: 41
Female

Country: France
Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Re: Marvel Comics recasts superhero Thor - as a woman

#95  Postby Mike_L » Jan 26, 2018 7:03 pm

LucidFlight wrote:Is a supervillain who is black and a woman a good thing for SJWs or not? On one hand, she'd be strong and powerful, on par with her white male supervillian counterparts. On the other hand, she would be an evil black woman...

...like Oprah.



:hide: :grin:
User avatar
Mike_L
 
Posts: 14367
Male

Country: South Africa
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Marvel Comics recasts superhero Thor - as a woman

#96  Postby aban57 » Jan 26, 2018 7:48 pm

Mike_L wrote:
LucidFlight wrote:Is a supervillain who is black and a woman a good thing for SJWs or not? On one hand, she'd be strong and powerful, on par with her white male supervillian counterparts. On the other hand, she would be an evil black woman...

...like Oprah.



:hide: :grin:


Vilain name : Opradinger. Good and bad at the same time.
aban57
 
Name: Cindy
Posts: 7442
Age: 41
Female

Country: France
Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Re: Marvel Comics recasts superhero Thor - as a woman

#97  Postby Mike_L » Jan 26, 2018 7:56 pm

And her sidekick, Doctor Strange...

Image
User avatar
Mike_L
 
Posts: 14367
Male

Country: South Africa
Print view this post

Re: Marvel Comics recasts superhero Thor - as a woman

#98  Postby Fallible » Jan 27, 2018 2:58 pm

During the inevitable face-off with the hero of the piece, there should definitely be a soliloquy around self-awareness. As Dr Phil-mah-pockets deploys his smoke screen of psychobabble and escapes, the phrase 'yew cain't change whut yew don't acknawladge' rings in everyone's ears.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to The Arts & Entertainment

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest