Medieval Music

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Medieval Music

#1  Postby Alan B » Aug 07, 2020 4:55 pm

This was written about 900 years ago. Music like this should not be forgotten.

And another...

And, of course, we cannot forget Carmina Burana...

And, er, deflowering virgins - Carmina Burana style.

Just sitting looking at the PC and listening to ancient music (I suppose I could do some tidying up...).
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Medieval Music

#2  Postby SafeAsMilk » Aug 07, 2020 5:37 pm

That it is recorded by modern musicians is indication that it isn't forgotten :) We do have to keep in mind that there's a good bit of interpreting going into these performances.

Some of my favorite performers are David Munrow and his Early Music Consort of London (OG), Patrick Denecker/La Caccia and the Norwegian Cornett & Sackbut ensemble.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Bestiola » Mar 16, 2022 11:43 pm

This is for medieval rave parties, good for increasing blood flow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaRNvJLKP1E&t=356s
VAE VICTIS Motherf*ckers
Bestiola

Female

Print view this post

#4  Postby Marcus Hadrianus » Mar 17, 2022 6:36 pm

Bogurodzica - Mother of God - Battle hymn of Polish Knights

Praecepta Hadrianina vitae iucundae sunt haec: cervesiam frigidam bibere, cannabim sativam nonnumquam fumere, amicos diligere, inimicis digitum medium ostendere, tesseras L-nummarias impendere, feleculas delicatius tractare, mammas sugere.
Marcus Hadrianus

Male

Poland (pl)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Bestiola » Mar 17, 2022 6:53 pm

Marcus Hadrianus wrote:Bogurodzica - Mother of God - Battle hymn of Polish Knights

Wow didn't know about the Polish knights! Hussars, I suppose.
VAE VICTIS Motherf*ckers
Bestiola

Female

Print view this post

#6  Postby Marcus Hadrianus » Mar 17, 2022 7:33 pm

Bestiola wrote:
Marcus Hadrianus wrote:Bogurodzica - Mother of God - Battle hymn of Polish Knights

Hussars were elite cavalry from post-medieval period (Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth);
According to some chronicles, Polish knights sang Bogurodzica at the Battle of Grunwald (1410) - biggest european battle of medieval period.

There is also other medieval Polish song - Pieśń Wojów Krzywoustego - The Song of Polish Warriors

Praecepta Hadrianina vitae iucundae sunt haec: cervesiam frigidam bibere, cannabim sativam nonnumquam fumere, amicos diligere, inimicis digitum medium ostendere, tesseras L-nummarias impendere, feleculas delicatius tractare, mammas sugere.
Marcus Hadrianus

Male

Poland (pl)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Bestiola » Mar 17, 2022 7:41 pm

Marcus Hadrianus wrote:
Bestiola wrote:

Hussars were elite cavalry from post-medieval period (Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth);
According to some chronicles, Polish knights sang Bogurodzica at the Battle of Grunwald (1410) - biggest european battle of medieval period.

There is also other medieval Polish song - Pieśń Wojów Krzywoustego - The Song of Polish Warriors

That's so cool! I don't think any of our Slavic brethren had knights of that calibre (save perhaps Russians and their bogatyrs), south Slavs didn't for sure :popcorn:
VAE VICTIS Motherf*ckers
Bestiola

Female

Print view this post

#8  Postby Azaghal » Nov 05, 2022 6:01 am

The only surviving fragment of a Middle English song about how much winter sucks:

I wonder how these people would react to being informed that people tend to gain weight during the winter these days.
Azaghal
Banned Sockpuppet

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby THWOTH » Nov 09, 2022 2:21 pm

Anyone for bardcore?

"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to The Arts & Entertainment