Movie Memorabilia Question

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Movie Memorabilia Question

#1  Postby Dubious1983 » Mar 18, 2017 7:07 am

Hi folks. Slightly left of field, but do any of you collect or have any knowledge of movie memorabilia? My knowledge consists of what I've picked up on shows such as Pawn Stars, which isn't much if I am being honest. Let's face it, it is light entertainment rather than educational viewing. The reason that I ask is that with the release of Blade Runner 2049 later this year, I would like to do something nice for my dad. You see, the original is his favourite film of all time (it is certainly one of my favourites, although maybe not at the top of the list) and he is understandably excited about the upcoming release of the sequel! I just hope they do the original justice and don't completely mess it up like they do with so many type. Many have accused it of being nothing more than a money spinner, but I'm less cynical and quietly optimistic. But I digress....

What I would like to get for my dad is a replica Deckard's "blaster" from the film, an item that I believe it is truly iconic of this cult classic. I've been looking around online for used movie memorabilia for sale but I can't really find the right source for what I want. I've seen a few examples listed on eBay, but I was wondering if anybody new of a reliable movie prop or memorabilia vendor I could approach. Any & all pointers appreciated.
Dubious1983

Name: Jay

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Movie Memorabilia Question

#2  Postby crank » Mar 18, 2017 9:48 am

I can't really help, but can say you ought to try searching Adam Savage's videos in various channels, I think he's been on a decades long journey to build a very realistic one. [yes, that Adam Savage of Mythbusters]

This is but one of numerous videos that you can find

“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Dubious1983 » Mar 20, 2017 2:46 am

Hi folks. Slightly left of field, but do any of you collect or have any knowledge of movie memorabilia? My knowledge consists of what I've picked up on shows such as Pawn Stars, which isn't much if I am being honest. Let's face it, it is light entertainment rather than educational viewing. The reason that I ask is that with the release of Blade Runner 2049 later this year, I would like to do something nice for my dad. You see, the original is his favourite film of all time (it is certainly one of my favourites, although maybe not at the top of the list) and he is understandably excited about the upcoming release of the sequel! I just hope they do the original justice and don't completely mess it up like they do with so many type. Many have accused it of being nothing more than a money spinner, but I'm less cynical and quietly optimistic. But I digress....

What I would like to get for my dad is a replica Deckard's "blaster" from the film, an item that I believe it is truly iconic of this cult classic. I've been looking around online for used movie memorabilia for sale but I can't really find the right source for what I want. I've seen a few examples listed on eBay, but I was wondering if anybody new of a reliable movie prop or memorabilia vendor I could approach. Any & all pointers appreciated.

crank wrote:I can't really help, but can say you ought to try searching Adam Savage's videos in various channels, I think he's been on a decades long journey to build a very realistic one. [yes, that Adam Savage of Mythbusters]

This is but one of numerous videos that you can find

Thanks for this Crank. A very helpful lead. It might even be as easy as simply contacting this guy by email if I can track one down. I'm sure he could point me in the right direction.

I was bidding on an auction for one on http://www.for-sale.ie/movie-memorabilia. The seller was in the U.K. which would have made it convenient for shipping. But I was outbid at the last minute. I guess there must be a lot of Blade Runner fans out there. I'll let you know how I get on.
Dubious1983

Name: Jay

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#4  Postby crank » Mar 20, 2017 11:21 pm

Good luck. Savage will probably tell you to build one!
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

Return to Film & TV