"My Big TOE" - Thomas Campbell

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: "My Big TOE" - Thomas Campbell

#61  Postby BlackSundog » Dec 28, 2016 2:31 am

Well. You know what they say -that is not which can forever lie, in strange eons even death may die. This thread's been around since around my birthday 6 years ago. In any case, I agree with what most people have said. If you REALLY want to claim that you have a "Theory of Everything" something that everyone is after...you'd publish it in a peer reviewed journal. That's about it. I mean you publish or perish. :coffee:

Still as I recall almost nobody's read the book, because they want to read the papers that don't exist (and ought to if this 'real'). I mean the TOE is HUGE -well beyond a masters. And even if he had a Doctorate -he could make a claim like "Jet fuel can't melt steel beams!" as a particle physicist who knows nothing about fires or structural engineering, and have it become a meme. The few that have claim to have read it say it was life changing. Now, it just so happens that Campbell is speaking tonight on (of all things) Art Bell's Midnight in the Desert with Heather Wade on Darkmatter Radio. Art Bell formerly hosted Coast to Coast AM.

I'm pretty sure your expressions range all the way from :crazy: :fsm2: :snooty: :think: :tinfoil: :what: :rofl: to :mob: .

Now, I...don't believe that Barack Obama was selected to join an experimental jump gate program as college student, that photo techs painted "real" alien spacecraft out of NASA photos, or that Mel's Hole really had a mutant come out of it. But...these kinds of stories entertain me. I just sort of wondered tonight what Campbell's angle was, and poked around a little. He didn't have a page on rationalwiki, but instead I found this thread.

I'll tune in tonight, have a listen, and try to give a bullet point list of his findings and how Campbell 'proves' he's correct. Maybe even dig up a pirate copy of the book.

BlackSundog

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby BlackSundog » Dec 28, 2016 12:49 pm

Four hour show with commercials. Now he says he's gone deeper in his other lectures, and I did come in 15min late so perhaps I've missed something I would hope.

My take away...

[ With some of my own thoughts ]

-------

-Consciousness is a digital information system (ie data of the 5 senses)

-Digital just means the information comes in discreet chunks

-If consciousness is information, and information is not physical (information is only meaning and content), then we are in a virtual reality and whatever computes it must be physical.

[ but who is to say that this system is not the human brain itself? Is all reality a system? ]

-If we were to live in a digital reality, we should be able to modify parts of reality, like future propability (the placebo effect)

-We create our own reality, but others intent and choices affect us (this is a "multiplayer game")

-Campbell's Theory of Everything, can use consciousness to explain all the fundamentals of subjective and objective reality

-Campbell has struggled to find things that it does not explain.

-"Paranormal" things are effects created by human consciousness altering their environment

[ but I take that to mean "real" stuff, rather than only illusions?? ]

-If you were a character in a game, your world would be everything within the game. Things outside the game, would be "non physical" from your experience. The computer that runs your reality has to be somewhere else -it cannot be inside the computer. Likewise the player cannot be inside the computer either. They are 'nonphysical' or exist outside of the world from the player characters perspective. A player focused on a screen analyzes a data stream, they can focus on different elements within the game, connect to a different server, or even another game.

[ but does that make it impossible for say, an artificial intelligence to have consciousness just like a human? If it did it would still be inside the virtual reality and have no "real" body or existence outside of it's "matrix". And yes, if this were a computer as we know it, copying itself from one system to another the sentient program would DELETE itself in one world after reproducing itself in another. I assume he's alluding to things like out of body experiences, astral projection, ESP. But what about explaining features of physical constants, etc? ]

-Meditation is the key for gaining information beyond your bodily senses. Anyone can access this information, you actually need no special talents -you only need not to get in your own way.

-Through meditation it is also possible to operate in other realities. You need to focus on another data stream, and connect to another it, in doing so you can interpret that stream as "reality". You don't so much leave your body, because you don't actually "live" in it. Your body is only a calculation, the way a game characters body is a polygonal manifold with no thickness and no substance.

-Has been exploring other realities this way since 1972. It's not like going to Chicago, and going to see all the same things most people see (Sears tower, observatory, train station, etc) it's very personal. You can't have expectations of what it's going to be like, having heard from others.

[ but how can you be 100% certain that these other realities are not just virtual realities WITHIN the computer system...that is your own brain? ]

-Campbell tells us that if you try to judge it in terms of "is it real or not real?" You will interrupt the connect. It's the wrong question. You need to look at what you experience, and ask "What is this?"

[ Campbell goes on to talk about dreams, and how they are one of these data streams. But what he hasn't answered is...what then is "death"? Do you "really" stop existing or not? Do you just "respawn"? And if the world is digital, would shear will be enough to hack reality? What the happens when you use LSD or DMT. Damn. DMT. Campbell is beginning to sound like he had some in the bowl. That or Ayahuasca.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/ ... in-the-u-s

What about shrooms? DMT is a funny thing, it can make believers in god and other realms out of atheists, and on ocassion real scientists while simultaneously making atheists of the the most zealous believers. Is DMT then a reality data stream you experience because you've interrupted the current feed? Also HOW CAN TEST ANY OF THIS? And would Talpamancer on Reddit or elsewheres then say that their Headmate/Talpa is a kind of "program" they CREATED? Would an occultist call themself a hacker? ]

Campbell says there is "purpose" to each reality, they don't exist by happenstance, and you can learn by going to these realities.

How does a digital information system, grow, live, or die? Randomness has zero information. Entropy is a measure of disorder.
The multiverse then, wants to evolve have more information, more order and hold onto that rather than totally dissolve. Social systems are apart of this. Cooperation, caring, these choices lead to lower entropy in the consciousness system. This system is ultimately a kind of school, and going from realm to realm is like going from classroom to classroom as individuated units of consciousness.

Beings like humans and others are apart of this multiverse system and are apart of it's survival strategy. If we lower our entropy being apart of the system, then the system has lowered it's entropy.

[ So......he's saying that "God" or some equivalent is the computer system? I cant help but feel this is all musings really which...we could have done ourselves. Really anyone. And I don't think he's using some of these terms correctly. Can universes have children? Isnt it inevitable the system's entropy will increase? And can conscious choices made by beings within these universes really represent ]

There are 3 "sources" of information
1. Things created, from beliefs, assumptions
2. Things immediately in the environment from a stream with a ruleset like our apparent universe
3. Things from the higher consciousness system, executive parts of the system

He got his start exploring by meditating, and getting to a "point consciousness" state in which he could recognize himself as something very small in a vast empty space. With an empty mind he was able to ask the higher consciousness system how he could learn more about it.

[ So basically 1. allows for human initiated magic, talpas, psychic effects positive or negative. 2. for the objective everyday world. 3. for supernatural effects at least on the positive side, including alens, contactees, guides, guardians. Maybe even the negative side, if take them to be like the Matrix's rogue programs. DMT comes up twice. It sounds like Campbell may have used it. He says that it can transport you to other realities. But as amazing as it seems it's very limited and you can reach these spaces without psychedelics, but it takes extraordinary work. I do know that once you use it, you access that space by dreaming. I think I've only personally read of one, maybe two psychonauts offhand who could go into it by meditating. ]

-------

Overall I like the speculation. However, what I would like is more spooky science others could do, and what he would like to see others do that could reaffirm what he already takes to be true. How spooky would they be? I mean since he has a masters degree in physics I would hope that we could do things that are objective and view able by everyone, rather than subjective world hopping. I doesn't hold my interest as much because it feels on the level of one of those channeling episodes with Seth/etc.

Here's something related I read a month ago:
http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20160901 ... not-matter

If Terrance McKenna were still with us, I wonder what his take would be.
BlackSundog

United States (us)
Print view this post

#63  Postby palpableapostrophe » Oct 11, 2019 7:14 am

Since the most recent post on this thread, Tom Campbell with 3 other people published a peer reviewed paper in The International Journal for Quantum Foundations. Here's a link https://arxiv.org/abs/1703.00058
palpableapostrophe

Name: Yanai Morris

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#64  Postby Svartalf » Oct 11, 2019 9:01 am

I have a bit of trouble, I tried to wiki Mr Campbell to get basic data in easy to read format, but could not find him among all the Thomas Campbells listed in the disambiguation page, if he was in there in the first place, his absence would speak volumes about his fame and the splash he's made with his grand theory
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#65  Postby newolder » Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Citations (0)

The ground hasn't started to shake since the paper's release in 2017.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#66  Postby Svartalf » Oct 11, 2019 9:32 am

OK, a bit of research has found me tom W campbell, and given me enough data to conclude he's a complete kook
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#67  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 11, 2019 10:18 am

I know nothing at all about Campbell or his work, so I've got nothing to comment on that.

I do, however, note that this appears to be one of those kind of topics which induces people to join a skeptic's board solely in order to castigate skeptics for not knowing about their apparently cherished notion.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#68  Postby hackenslash » Oct 13, 2019 2:39 pm

Saw this thread when checking messages and didn't recognise it despite having posted in it.

palpableapostrophe wrote:Since the most recent post on this thread, Tom Campbell with 3 other people published a peer reviewed paper in The International Journal for Quantum Foundations. Here's a link https://arxiv.org/abs/1703.00058

Published in a journal with a 2016 impact factor of 2.92 and an entirely in-house review team, and Google Scholar lists only 3 citations in 2½ years, two of which are philosophy papers and the third of which is an obscure paper about simulations of spark ignition systems in an even more obscure journal with an impact factor of 1.789.

As peer-reviewed papers go, this sucks donkey dick in a very, very tiny manner.

Going back to lurking in meatspace. Peace, people.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#69  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 13, 2019 2:59 pm

hackenslash wrote:Saw this thread when checking messages and didn't recognise it despite having posted in it.

palpableapostrophe wrote:Since the most recent post on this thread, Tom Campbell with 3 other people published a peer reviewed paper in The International Journal for Quantum Foundations. Here's a link https://arxiv.org/abs/1703.00058

Published in a journal with a 2016 impact factor of 2.92 and an entirely in-house review team, and Google Scholar lists only 3 citations in 2½ years, two of which are philosophy papers and the third of which is an obscure paper about simulations of spark ignition systems in an even more obscure journal with an impact factor of 1.789.

As peer-reviewed papers go, this sucks donkey dick in a very, very tiny manner.

Going back to lurking in meatspace. Peace, people.

Thanks for the confidence check, man.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to The Arts & Entertainment