New Simpsons are complete crap.

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: New Simpsons are complete crap.

#41  Postby I'm With Stupid » Oct 07, 2014 11:56 pm

I haven't seen it, but I could've guessed it'd be awful.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby Shrunk » Oct 08, 2014 12:21 am

Animavore wrote:
Shrunk wrote:
Animavore wrote:Oh thank fuck.
One of the best episodes ever is on now.
Frank Grimes.

Probably my favourite episode.

I was just looking at the Wiki homepage and it happened to have the Frank Grimes episode as the pick of the day.
I was surprised to read the reception it got in America http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homer%27s_Enemy#Reception

According to Josh Weinstein, when the episode was first broadcast, many fans felt it was too dark, lacked humor and that Homer was portrayed as overly bad-mannered. Weinstein considers this episode one of the most controversial of the seasons he ran, as it involves sharp observational humor which he thinks many fans "didn't get." Weinstein also talks about a "generation gap"—he believes the episode was originally panned by viewers, but has since become a favorite among fans who grew up with the show.

Over this side of the water this type of humour would hardly have batted an eyelid.

Happy Birthday by the way :drunk:

Hey, thanks!

Over three years later, I finally clicked on that link, and learned for the first time that Hank Azaria provided the voice of Frank Grimes. It's like a late birthday present.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Animavore » Aug 22, 2017 9:02 pm

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Kaleid » Aug 22, 2017 11:26 pm

Animavore wrote:

Very good, that gets it about right. Although it felt to me like the decline stared a little earlier than The Principal & The Pauper. There were a few times in Seasons 7-8 that they jumped the shark a bit too much.

"I don't mind if I have to sit on the floor at school. All I want is education. And I am afraid of no one."
- Malala Yousafzai
Kaleid
RS Donator

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#45  Postby purplerat » Aug 23, 2017 1:54 pm

Who could have imagined that a show on air for nearly 30 years has gotten stale :dunno:
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#46  Postby SafeAsMilk » Aug 23, 2017 2:18 pm

purplerat wrote:Who could have imagined that a show on air for nearly 30 years has gotten stale :dunno:

Well that's the thing. I actually really liked when the show started focusing more on absurdity and randomness over heartfelt life lessons, it changed but was still doing something nobody else was. But it did run out of steam a looooong time ago.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Matthew Shute » Aug 23, 2017 4:18 pm

Animavore wrote:

I haven't watched any Simpsons in years, I hadn't realised it had fallen so far. What a great video, a lot of research obviously went into that. (The music in the back makes me want to play a few levels of Hotline Miami 2.)
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby Animavore » Jan 20, 2021 10:11 pm

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)