Oscars: CRIME against CINEMA! Boo for Nationalism.

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Oscars: CRIME against CINEMA! Boo for Nationalism.

#1  Postby andyx1205 » Mar 08, 2010 5:11 am

God damn I'm pissed. The Hurt Locker won the best Director Award (Kathryn Bigelow) and the Best Picture award at the Oscars.

James Cameron deserved the best director award, and his film Avatar deserved the Best Picture award.

What pissed me off even further, was that both times when Hurt Locker won the award, Kathryn Bigelow gave a shout out to all of the men and women in uniforms that are fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan to protect America. Once was enough, but she had to reiterate it again as if one shout out was not enough. She seems to be a fan of nationalism, while James Cameron is the exact opposite.

Avatar was much better than the Hurt Locker when it came to the picture, director, and theme. Avatar and James Cameron got robbed!
:waah:

The Hurt Locker was a great action film and I enjoyed it immensely, however it was very inaccurate from the testimonies of Veterans.

"Paul Rieckhoff, founder of Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America states on his facebook page that the movie is "... not based on a true story, but on a true war...in which I have seen my friends killed...which I witnessed my ranger buddy get both his legs blown off." Rieckhoff went on to say: "...For Hollywood to glorify this crap is a huge slap in the face to every soldier who's been on the front line."
“I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full.” - Trotsky
andyx1205

Name: Andy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Oscars: CRIME against CINEMA! Boo for Nationalism.

#2  Postby rEvolutionist » Mar 08, 2010 5:22 am

Has Quill joined up here yet?.... :whistle:
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby andyx1205 » Mar 08, 2010 5:23 am

rEvolutionist wrote:Has Quill joined up here yet?.... :whistle:

Hmm sorry but I didn't understand that post. I'm guessing Quill was either a harsh critic or a big fan of Hurt Locker?
“I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full.” - Trotsky
andyx1205

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby rachelbean » Mar 08, 2010 5:24 am

All Avatar deserved was the special effects Oscar that it got.
rachelbean

Female

Wales (we)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Prince of Gonzo » Mar 08, 2010 5:24 am

Both of the screenplay awards were total bullshit.
Prince of Gonzo

Name: Parker Davis
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby MoonLit » Mar 08, 2010 5:26 am

I am glad it won best Director, but not best picture (Avatar should have gotten it)

andyx1205 wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:Has Quill joined up here yet?.... :whistle:

Hmm sorry but I didn't understand that post. I'm guessing Quill was either a harsh critic or a big fan of Hurt Locker?

He's a harsh critic of Avatar.
Last edited by MoonLit on Mar 08, 2010 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image
Click the eggs please!
MoonLit
RS Donator

Name: Andi
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby andyx1205 » Mar 08, 2010 5:29 am

It seems like Avatar dealt with too much political incorrectness. One movie's about anti-imperialism, while the other one is about glorifying war heroes.
andyx1205

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Grimstad » Mar 08, 2010 5:32 am

After I saw "The Last Starfighter" I predicted that some day movies would basically be high tech cartoons with actual characters (without actors) like in "Simone". Avatar has brought us one giant leap closer to that.

I think it's interesting that Avatar and Hurt locker seem to take diametrically opposed positions as to war and Cameron and Bigelow are divorced.

Yeah, but she's our witch, so cut her the hell down. - Mal Reynolds

I'm on zero pills, and I miss them.
--Mindy Elise Grayson
Grimstad

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby andyx1205 » Mar 08, 2010 5:41 am

Grimstad wrote:After I saw "The Last Starfighter" I predicted that some day movies would basically be high tech cartoons with actual characters (without actors) like in "Simone". Avatar has brought us one giant leap closer to that.

I think it's interesting that Avatar and Hurt locker seem to take diametrically opposed positions as to war and Cameron and Bigelow are divorced.

I'd argue that the Inglourious Basterds was a better film than the Hurt Locker. Heck, even District 9 was better!
andyx1205

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10  Postby BrandySpears » Mar 08, 2010 5:56 am

andyx1205 wrote:What pissed me off even further, was that both times when Hurt Locker won the award, Kathryn Bigelow gave a shout out to all of the men and women in uniforms that are fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan to protect America. Once was enough, but she had to reiterate it again as if one shout out was not enough. She seems to be a fan of nationalism, while James Cameron is the exact opposite.

Didn't bother seeing the film The Hurt Locker, did you?

From MichaelMoore.com
Some critics have hailed "The Hurt Locker" because the film "doesn't take sides" in the Iraq War -- like that's an admirable thing! I wonder if there were critics during the Civil War that hailed plays or books for being "balanced" about slavery, or if there were those who praised films during World War II for "not taking sides?" I keep reading that the reason Iraq War films haven't done well at the box office is because they've been partisan (meaning anti-war).

The truth is "The Hurt Locker" is very political. It says the war is stupid and senseless and insane. It makes us consider why we have an army where people actually volunteer to do this. That's why the right wing has attacked the movie. They're not stupid -- they know what Kathryn Bigelow is up to. No one leaves this movie thinking, "Whoopee! Let's keep these wars going another 7 years!"
BrandySpears

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby andyx1205 » Mar 08, 2010 5:59 am

BrandySpears wrote:
andyx1205 wrote:What pissed me off even further, was that both times when Hurt Locker won the award, Kathryn Bigelow gave a shout out to all of the men and women in uniforms that are fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan to protect America. Once was enough, but she had to reiterate it again as if one shout out was not enough. She seems to be a fan of nationalism, while James Cameron is the exact opposite.

Didn't bother seeing the film The Hurt Locker, did you?

From MichaelMoore.com
Some critics have hailed "The Hurt Locker" because the film "doesn't take sides" in the Iraq War -- like that's an admirable thing! I wonder if there were critics during the Civil War that hailed plays or books for being "balanced" about slavery, or if there were those who praised films during World War II for "not taking sides?" I keep reading that the reason Iraq War films haven't done well at the box office is because they've been partisan (meaning anti-war).

The truth is "The Hurt Locker" is very political. It says the war is stupid and senseless and insane. It makes us consider why we have an army where people actually volunteer to do this. That's why the right wing has attacked the movie. They're not stupid -- they know what Kathryn Bigelow is up to. No one leaves this movie thinking, "Whoopee! Let's keep these wars going another 7 years!"

The fact remains: The Hurt Locker is an inaccurate depiction of the war and is disconnected from reality. Nonetheless, I do not think that the Hurt Locker was a better picture than the Avatar, nor that it had a better director.

I was disgusted when Kathryn repeated, twice, that we ought to show respect to the troops fighting overseas because they're fighting to protect the American people. She compared the troops to "fire fighters" and such. Imo, a fire fighter or a doctor is doing much more to contribute to society than a soldier in Iraq or Afghanistan.

If she believes that we ought to show respect to someone that wishes to die for their country by fighting overseas, then she ought to keep that belief to herself. From her words, "they support us and we should support them." Her speech stunk of nationalism. She could have maintained her focus on the importance of bringing the troops back home, rather than talking about how the troops are fighting to protect Americans.

I doubt future generations will view the Hurt Locker as one of the best war films, as in a film that depicts war with great accuracy. In no way is the Hurt Locker in the ranks of Platoon, and other films that were War Films that won the Best Picture award.
andyx1205

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby BrandySpears » Mar 08, 2010 6:18 am

andyx1205 wrote:I was disgusted when Kathryn repeated, twice, that we ought to show respect to the troops fighting overseas because they're fighting to protect the American people. She compared the troops to "fire fighters" and such. Imo, a fire fighter or a doctor is doing much more to contribute to society than a soldier in Iraq or Afghanistan.

If she believes that we ought to show respect to someone that wishes to die for their country by fighting overseas, then she ought to keep that belief to herself. From her words, "they support us and we should support them." Her speech stunk of nationalism. She could have maintained her focus on the importance of bringing the troops back home, rather than talking about how the troops are fighting to protect Americans.

The record reflects:
The Hurt Locker’s Best Director Kathryn Bigelow’s Oscar acceptance speech:

"This really is… There’s no other way to describe it, it’s the moment of a lifetime. First of all, this is so extraordinary to be in the company of such powerful, my fellow nominees, such powerful filmmakers who have inspired me and I have admired for, some of whom, for decades. And thank you to every member of the Academy. This is, again, the moment of a lifetime.

"I would not be standing here if it wasn’t for Mark Boal, who risked his life for the words on the page and wrote such a courageous screenplay that I was fortunate enough to have an extraordinary cast bring that screenplay to life. And Jeremy Renner, Anthony Mackie and Brian Geraghty. And, I think the secret to directing is collaborating and I had truly an extraordinary group of collaborators in my crew. Barry Ackroyd and Kalle Júlíusson and Bob Murawski, Chris Innis, Ray Beckett, Richard Stutsman and if I could just also thank my producing partners, Greg Shapiro, Nick Chartier and my wonderful agent, Brian Siberell, and the people of Jordan, who were, such a… so hospitable to us when we were shooting. And I’d just like to dedicate this to the women and men in the military who risk their lives on a daily basis in Iraq and Afghanistan and around the world. And may they come home safe. Thank you."

Best Picture THE HURT LOCKER: Kathryn Bigelow, Mark Boal’s Oscar Acceptance Speeches

Kathryn Bigelow: I was just gonna reiterate that with Rob and Patrick, who took a very brave shot with this movie. And we owe them dearly. Perhaps one more dedication, to men and women all over the world who… Sorry to reiterate, but wear a uniform, but even not just the military – HazMat, emergency, firemen. They’re there for us and we’re there for them. Thank you. Thank you.

Bigelow doesn't make a very good nationalist according to your own definition.
BrandySpears

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Propagangster » Mar 08, 2010 6:21 am

I don't think Camerson will cry over this, Andy. His film only passed the 2.5 billion dollar barrier at the box office this weekend - he will survive. Plus, the Oscars are not exactly known to reward the more commercially successful films.
Last edited by Propagangster on Mar 08, 2010 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Propagangster

Name: François
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Olaudah Equiano » Mar 08, 2010 6:21 am

From MichaelMoore.com

ohm.... dood, that guy's got irony aphasia?? He compares his ‘anti-war’ position against the views of American isolationists who spoke out against the our entering the war against the Axis powers when they declared war on western democracies across Europe, and then contrasts himself against those who bitterly opposed the continuation of the Civil War and favored some sort of national ‘reconciliation’ that left slavery intact..... ohm, huh? wat?

I think he must likely have suffered some small stroke or something right before he wrote that stuff there, or is he really that comfoosed and turned around all the time?
Last edited by Olaudah Equiano on Mar 08, 2010 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Olaudah Equiano
Banned User

Print view this post

#15  Postby GreatApe » Mar 08, 2010 6:22 am

I must confess to being entirely "out-of-the-loop" on this one. I did not see "The Hurt Locker" OR "Avatar" (though I wanted to see both before I left the USA). Now that I'm in China ... well, suffice to say I did not see The Oscars either! I AM getting a helluvalot of reading done, however! --G
---------------------------------
"Quiero Saber" : Gipsy Kings
GreatApe

Name: GreatApe
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby andyx1205 » Mar 08, 2010 6:23 am

BrandySpears wrote:
andyx1205 wrote:I was disgusted when Kathryn repeated, twice, that we ought to show respect to the troops fighting overseas because they're fighting to protect the American people. She compared the troops to "fire fighters" and such. Imo, a fire fighter or a doctor is doing much more to contribute to society than a soldier in Iraq or Afghanistan.

The record reflects:
The Hurt Locker’s Best Director Kathryn Bigelow’s Oscar acceptance speech:

"This really is… There’s no other way to describe it, it’s the moment of a lifetime. First of all, this is so extraordinary to be in the company of such powerful, my fellow nominees, such powerful filmmakers who have inspired me and I have admired for, some of whom, for decades. And thank you to every member of the Academy. This is, again, the moment of a lifetime.

"I would not be standing here if it wasn’t for Mark Boal, who risked his life for the words on the page and wrote such a courageous screenplay that I was fortunate enough to have an extraordinary cast bring that screenplay to life. And Jeremy Renner, Anthony Mackie and Brian Geraghty. And, I think the secret to directing is collaborating and I had truly an extraordinary group of collaborators in my crew. Barry Ackroyd and Kalle Júlíusson and Bob Murawski, Chris Innis, Ray Beckett, Richard Stutsman and if I could just also thank my producing partners, Greg Shapiro, Nick Chartier and my wonderful agent, Brian Siberell, and the people of Jordan, who were, such a… so hospitable to us when we were shooting. And I’d just like to dedicate this to the women and men in the military who risk their lives on a daily basis in Iraq and Afghanistan and around the world. And may they come home safe. Thank you."

Best Picture THE HURT LOCKER: Kathryn Bigelow, Mark Boal’s Oscar Acceptance Speeches

Kathryn Bigelow: I was just gonna reiterate that with Rob and Patrick, who took a very brave shot with this movie. And we owe them dearly. Perhaps one more dedication, to men and women all over the world who… Sorry to reiterate, but wear a uniform, but even not just the military – HazMat, emergency, firemen. They’re there for us and we’re there for them. Thank you. Thank you.

Bigelow doesn't make a very good nationalist according to your own definition.

Yes it does smell of nationalism. The men and women in uniform risk their lives overseas for...us. That sounds like nationalism.

"They’re there for us and we’re there for them." They're there for us?

Smells like nationalism. It's another one of those "support the troops that are risking their lives for us" moments.
andyx1205

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17  Postby BrandySpears » Mar 08, 2010 6:27 am

andyx1205 wrote:Yes it does smell of nationalism. The men and women in uniform risk their lives overseas for...us. That sounds like nationalism.

Smells like nationalism. It's another one of those "support the troops that are risking their lives for us" moments.

LAPD was outside risking their lives also. What do you call that? Localism? LAism?
BrandySpears

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby andyx1205 » Mar 08, 2010 6:30 am

BrandySpears wrote:
andyx1205 wrote:Yes it does smell of nationalism. The men and women in uniform risk their lives overseas for...us. That sounds like nationalism.

LAPD was outside risking their lives also. What do you call that? Localism? LAism?

You're comparing the police to the army?

How exactly is a soldier all the way in Iraq or Afghanistan protecting an American citizen residing in America? A soldier's contribution to society (at least in the case of Iraq & Afghanistan) is not comparable to a police officer in LA.
andyx1205

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19  Postby noncredo » Mar 08, 2010 6:31 am

andyx1205 wrote:The fact remains: The Hurt Locker is an inaccurate depiction of the war and is disconnected from reality. Nonetheless, I do not think that the Hurt Locker was a better picture than the Avatar, nor that it had a better director.

I was disgusted when Kathryn repeated, twice, that we ought to show respect to the troops fighting overseas because they're fighting to protect the American people. She compared the troops to "fire fighters" and such. Imo, a fire fighter or a doctor is doing much more to contribute to society than a soldier in Iraq or Afghanistan.

I doubt future generations will view the Hurt Locker as one of the best war films, as in a film that depicts war with great accuracy. In no way is the Hurt Locker in the ranks of Platoon, and other films that were War Films that won the Best Picture award.
The Hurt Locker was an awesome movie. Maybe a bit inaccurate; but then it was a movie, not a documentary. While you may think it was a worse movie with a worse director, the ones who make those decisoins seem to disagree with you.

Why is a doctor or a firefighter doing "much more" to contribute to society than a soldier serving in Iraq or Afghanistan? What about soldiers who aren't serving in Iraq or Afghanistan? What about military doctors or military firefighters serving in Iraq or Afghanistan?

As for ..."ought to keep that belief to herself..." Why? Is she not entitled to her opinion? Is she not entitled to state her opinion? Were there rules about such statements which prohibited her from making her comments? if not then I see no reason why she "ought to keep that belief to herself." anymore than you ought to keep your beliefs to yourself; or me, mine.
Last edited by noncredo on Mar 08, 2010 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trump 2020
noncredo

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby BrandySpears » Mar 08, 2010 6:32 am

andyx1205 wrote:You're comparing the police to the army?

How exactly is a soldier all the way in Iraq or Afghanistan protecting an American citizen residing in America? A soldier's contribution to society (at least in the case of Iraq & Afghanistan) is not comparable to a police officer in LA.

Having a problem comprehending Bigelow's "NOT JUST THE MILITARY" statement, are you?
BrandySpears

United States (us)
Print view this post

Next

Return to The Arts & Entertainment