Photography/cameras and associated gear thread.

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Photography/cameras and associated gear thread.

#901  Postby Alan B » May 22, 2014 4:41 pm

I've been eyeing-up a Canon 100D for some time, so, a couple of weeks ago I splashed out and bought one. Got it home and had a play and was quite impressed. But, the damned dioptre adjustment on the view finder wouldn't focus. So I took it back and got a refund. Anybody else had this sort of problem?
I've been using SLRs for years and never known that to happen.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#902  Postby Agrippina » May 22, 2014 5:00 pm

Mine's a 500D, I'm looking at the 1200D just because I can look at it. I haven't had any trouble with mine.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#903  Postby Alan B » May 22, 2014 5:17 pm

I'm actually considering getting my old Minolta Dynax 7 going again. You know a real camera with actual film! :snooty:
It feels 'well made', not like some this plastic stuff of today.

My DSLR is the first Sony after they took over Minolta hence my looking at the Canon 100D as a modern replacement.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#904  Postby The_Metatron » May 22, 2014 5:21 pm

I tell you all, I have a pair of Pentax K-1000 steam powered camera bodies that can be had for nearly the asking. Someone must have something they want to swap for these things. Christ, I haven't put five rolls of film through either one.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#905  Postby Agrippina » May 22, 2014 5:22 pm

I don't even know if I'd be able to buy film or have them developed here. Too much effort. I like to shoot 3,000 pics on one road trip. I was averaging around 300 a day. Imagine what that lot would cost to be developed.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#906  Postby Alan B » May 22, 2014 5:29 pm

Trouble with this digital stuff is that they soon become a point 'n shoot accessory. In the 'good ol' days' you actually had to think about the shot before you pressed the button... :shifty:

I know what you mean about 'giving away' the K-1000s. I have a Contax 167 and an Olympus OM2 and I'm loath to dispose of either. One day, perhaps...
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#907  Postby chairman bill » May 22, 2014 5:50 pm

What lenses do you have for the Contax? Contax lenses go for a pretty penny. A simple adaptor enables them to be used on other bodies, albeit with manual focus & usually stop-down metering. The quality of the lenses is still so good though & they work very well on Sony mirror-less & Canon DSLR bodies. If I had a number of decent Contax lenses, I'd look at the new Sony A7
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#908  Postby Alan B » May 22, 2014 6:02 pm

The original Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/50. I used to have an earlier Contax which I exchanged for the 167 body and kept the lens.
Edit.

I just re-checked. It's a T* and they go for about £500.

Jesus H. Christ - I didn't realise. :doh:
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#909  Postby chairman bill » May 22, 2014 6:52 pm

I'll give you 87p for it
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#910  Postby Agrippina » May 22, 2014 7:08 pm

Alan B wrote:Trouble with this digital stuff is that they soon become a point 'n shoot accessory. In the 'good ol' days' you actually had to think about the shot before you pressed the button... :shifty:

True, but then you also missed a whole lot of shots. I sit in the passenger seat while we're travelling, clicking away like crazy. Then when we get to a stop, I download the 500-odd pics I took that day and discard the bad ones, then the ones I think aren't good enough to keep, then end up with perhaps 75-100 that I really like. With an old-fashioned camera, I'd have 36 pics of the entire trip, in a box that I'd never look at again.

Today I moved my pics from last week to the hard drive where I keep all my holiday shots, then I made up an iPhoto stream on one of the old Macs, and set it up to show the pics as a screensaver, all our holiday pics from the 1980s. Some of them are little images taken with some of the first digital cameras sold, and therefore not that good but set up as a collage, when we're not using the TV, it makes a lovely display of photos on the wall across from my chair. I also set up my old iPad as a photo display unit in another part of the house. That has my entire iPhoto stream on it, and it displays pics one at a time again saving me having to print and frame my photos to hang on the wall. You can't do that with photos in a box that quietly fade into red blurs after 20 years.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#911  Postby Alan B » May 22, 2014 8:30 pm

chairman bill wrote:I'll give you 87p for it

:lol:
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#912  Postby Made of Stars » May 22, 2014 8:39 pm

chairman bill wrote:There are rumours that Fujifilm might be developing a new mirror-less rangefinder-style camera, based around a Sony 50mp medium format CMOS sensor. I might have to sell one or two of my sons into slavery.

I bought an X-Pro1 and 35mm/1.4 a couple of weeks ago, and am loving it. I'll try to post some pics tonight.
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#913  Postby Macdoc » May 22, 2014 10:41 pm

Snagged a Lumix LX3 for $110 tonight - what a steal as a second camera
Leica lens a super close shooting

Had one
Sold it
At that price tho - irresistable as it can use my EVF from the GX1 and the LX3 is really small.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/revie ... /lx3.shtml
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#914  Postby Macdoc » May 22, 2014 10:51 pm

Aggi
Even better is download GraphicConverter for viewing travel photos

Then its random so you never get the same sequence plus you have stuff like the Ken Burns effect so it cops and moves

total delight

Mine is running all the time with 18 seconds for the image up which allows me grab a screen shot if I want

Also your screen saver will do ken burns on your photo library but I do not think random order
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#915  Postby Macdoc » May 22, 2014 11:11 pm

Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#916  Postby chairman bill » May 22, 2014 11:12 pm

Made of Stars wrote:
chairman bill wrote:There are rumours that Fujifilm might be developing a new mirror-less rangefinder-style camera, based around a Sony 50mp medium format CMOS sensor. I might have to sell one or two of my sons into slavery.

I bought an X-Pro1 and 35mm/1.4 a couple of weeks ago, and am loving it. I'll try to post some pics tonight.

Nice. I've got a X100s - the files are lovely. I've considered trading in my Nikon kit & completely switching to Fuji, but for serious stuff, I just love my D700. I could be tempted by the X-Pro1 for travel though, with the X100s as back-up
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#917  Postby Made of Stars » May 23, 2014 1:07 am

I'm in the process of selling all my Nikon and Olympus stuff. Considering going to M-mount lenses for future purchases. :)

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#918  Postby angelo » May 23, 2014 7:08 am

The_Piper wrote:I love separate chargers because I can use the camera while the battery is charging. Of course you need a spare battery for that.

That's what Canon has in mind seeing their cameras use power like a banana republic dictator. 100 shots out of a full charge is ridicules. An average photo taker would take more than that on a visit to the zoo. To buy an extra battery isn't cheap either.
I think they are taking advantage of their customers to be honest.
One can always charge the battery while you sleep or while on a pc which you can't do with a specific battery charger like Canon uses.
angelo

Name: angelo barbato
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#919  Postby angelo » May 23, 2014 7:22 am

That's amazing. You'd think the memory card would corrode fairly quickly under those circumstances.
angelo

Name: angelo barbato
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#920  Postby Made of Stars » May 23, 2014 12:09 pm

Made of Stars wrote:I bought an X-Pro1 and 35mm/1.4 a couple of weeks ago, and am loving it. I'll try to post some pics tonight.

My boy:

Early morning, Saturday sports:

Kittehs:

Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to The Arts & Entertainment