Social Distancing in Stories

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Social Distancing in Stories

#1  Postby NineBerry » Mar 22, 2020 7:38 pm

Do you know any stories (books, films, TV) where people have to stay away from each other to save each other?

I think there was a (science fiction?) movie with this message. For some reason, all humans would have to isolate themselves for a short time to save the planet but can't really remember any details.

What comes close is the "His Dark Materials" trilogy of novels whereat the end you have the two lovers Lyra and Will who have to decide to never meet again and close all barriers between their two universes to save all existence.
Last edited by NineBerry on Mar 22, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Social Distancing in Stories

#2  Postby newolder » Mar 22, 2020 7:44 pm

^Spoiler alert. :roll:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby cyghost » Mar 22, 2020 8:00 pm

Asimov's Spacers would maybe fit in here.
cyghost

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#4  Postby NineBerry » Mar 22, 2020 8:29 pm

newolder wrote:^Spoiler alert. :roll:

Sorry, corrected. I had expected everyone here would know the "Atheist Bible" in and out :grin:
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby newolder » Mar 22, 2020 8:32 pm

NineBerry wrote:...

Sorry, corrected. I had expected everyone here would know the "Atheist Bible" in and out :grin:

No worries, I'm over reacting to a lot of things these days. Can't imagine why that should be. :scratch:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby laklak » Mar 23, 2020 2:22 am

newolder wrote:
No worries, I'm over reacting to a lot of things these days. Can't imagine why that should be. :scratch:

Not enough weed?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#7  Postby zulumoose » Mar 23, 2020 6:29 am

There was one Asimov novel (The naked sun) which was a detective story based on a planet where the wealthy had embraced distance as a status symbol associated with large properties (Texas ranch style), living far from each other, socializing via hologram projection, and abhorring physical contact.

There was a murder, which was inconceivable, as it appeared to involve direct personal physical violence.

This was in complete contrast to Earth, where everyone lived in domed or underground cities, and never ventured outside, eventually reaching the stage where the entire population were agoraphobic.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby newolder » Mar 23, 2020 12:44 pm

The European Space Agency has a range of social distancing mugs. :mrgreen:

newolder

Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby chairman bill » Mar 23, 2020 3:30 pm

Zombie films/TV programmes - lots of social distancing in those.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to The Arts & Entertainment