Sufjan Stevens

Is there anyone better atm?

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Sufjan Stevens

#21  Postby I'm With Stupid » Jan 13, 2012 11:44 pm

Jesus Christ. I know we all hear things differently, but in what world does Sufjan Stevens sound anything like Jack "look at the 4 chords I know" Johnson?
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Animavore » Jan 13, 2012 11:53 pm

Didn't say he sounds like him. I said he reminded me of him. It's the type of music stable, happy and carefree people listen to. People who play fun board games, own pugs and wear knitwear. Get married young and have families :)

That said, the guy who introduced me to Jack Johnson ended up in a mental home after a neurotic break down of some sort. But he was the above type when I knew him.

I'm a poor kid from the street. I prefer music with pain and suffering and miserablness :)
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Fallible » Jan 14, 2012 12:29 am

We bought a Jack Johnson album once. I'll never be the same again. In a bad way. Anyway, I have spottify on my brand spanking new all-singing all-dancing computer, so I'ma (look at me, I'm hip!) look up some Sufjan on there. If I can stop listening to the new Kate Bush for long enough.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Fallible » Jan 14, 2012 12:33 am

Oh and thank you, Shrunk and FWOFFLES for your recommendations. :cheers:

Just listening to To be Alone With You, and I must say I don't hear the Jack Johnson thing, apart from the fact that they both feature an acoustic guitar.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#25  Postby THWOTH » Jan 14, 2012 12:35 am

Animavore wrote:Didn't say he sounds like him. I said he reminded me of him. It's the type of music stable, happy and carefree people listen to. People who play fun board games, own pugs and wear knitwear. Get married young and have families :)

That's going in the lol thread . :lol:
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Fallible » Jan 14, 2012 12:38 am

Rivu wrote:Well, Sufjan may not be for everyone, but in my opinion is nothing like Jack Johnson, if you are refering to that guy in slippers :ill:

Animavore, Have you tried to hear his last album, The Age of Adz? It's quite different from the others , a little more electrical, in my opinion.

Shrunk. Yes, if we analyse the song, there is one line ("In Bible study /we lifted our hands/ and prayed over your body... But nothing ever happens"), that always makes me think about it's meaning.

Nevertheless it is a remarkable song about the loss of someone loved :waah: xD.

Welcome Rivu by the way, I've been reading your contributions and you seem like a decent chap or chapess. :cheers:
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#27  Postby ChasM » Jan 14, 2012 4:38 am

Been enjoying Suf's music for a few years now, though I'm not up to date with his latest stuff. Interesting lyrics/instrumentation & unique sound. Always a good listen - reminds me that not all new music is Disney-fied Idol pop crap.

One Xmas came across his "Sister Winter", liked it enough to download all the other albums he had on eMusic. Some of my fav songs: Jacksonville, Worried Shoes (w/Daniel Smith), Decatur, They Are Night Zombies! They Are Neighbors!, and the already mentioned Casimir Pulaski Day.

Any Joanna Newsom fans out there? She's a bit more "out there" than Suf. Worth a listen.
Last edited by ChasM on Jan 14, 2012 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
The most common of follies is to believe passionately in the palpably not true. It is the chief occupation of mankind. HL Mencken
ChasM

Name: "Bob"
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Jan 14, 2012 4:42 am

ChasM wrote: Always a good listen - reminds me that not all new music is Disney-fied Idol pop crap.

The vast majority of music is not Disney-fied Idol pop crap. It just happens to be the case that popular radio stations tend to play music of that category. For every Katy Perry there are hundreds of artists out there who do are not of her ilk.
If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Name: Dave
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#29  Postby ChasM » Jan 14, 2012 4:58 am

^ I know, I know. It's just getting tougher for an old man to seek out the good stuff, especially with an 8 year old who likes Katy Perry and...gulp...Journey. Christ, I'm trying to bring her up right. She does hate Justin Bieber, so that's a plus.

Back in the day used to see a lot of good music. Saw Phish in tiny clubs back in the late '80s. Really liked Ed's Redeeming Qualities, a band out of Boston - had a wonderful song about that kid who got hit in the head with a lawn dart. And there's always my favorite funk/metal/brass band out of Baltimore, The Almighty Senators...
The most common of follies is to believe passionately in the palpably not true. It is the chief occupation of mankind. HL Mencken
ChasM

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Rivu » Jan 14, 2012 1:18 pm

Thank you Fallible ,for your kind words:) I hope to continue to contribute regularly. :)

ChasM wrote:Been enjoying Suf's music for a few years now, though I'm not up to date with his latest stuff. Interesting lyrics/instrumentation & unique sound. Always a good listen - reminds me that not all new music is Disney-fied Idol pop crap.

One Xmas came across his "Sister Winter", liked it enough to download all the other albums he had on eMusic. Some of my fav songs: Jacksonville, Worried Shoes (w/Daniel Smith), Decatur, They Are Night Zombies! They Are Neighbors!, and the already mentioned Casimir Pulaski Day.

Any Joanna Newsom fans out there? She's a bit more "out there" than Suf. Worth a listen.

ChasM, bear in mind that, at least in my opinion, his latest album (The Age of Adz) is quite different from the others. It is more electronic and less folksy :P . One of the things that may have contributed to this was the severe illness he suffered.

Nevertheless, it's an amazing album, well worth a listen.

Never heard Joanna Newsom, I will check on youtube :grin: .
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring"- Carl Sagan
Rivu

Male

Portugal (pt)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Shrunk » Jan 14, 2012 1:57 pm

Rivu wrote:
ChasM, bear in mind that, at least in my opinion, his latest album (The Age of Adz) is quite different from the others. It is more electronic and less folksy :P . One of the things that may have contributed to this was the severe illness he suffered.

This interview strongly suggests that to be the case. He also speaks with surprising frankness about how he feels he has lost some of his songwriting ability, and so is now spending more time improvising and creating weird noises with his instruments.

http://pitchfork.com/features/interview ... n-stevens/

BTW, I suppose the project of recording a CD dedicated to each of the 50 states is now off? With two releases in 9 years, he's going to have to either increase the pace or live a very long life if he is going to complete it.

Be warned: Her voice can be a real turn off.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#32  Postby ChasM » Jan 14, 2012 3:10 pm

Shrunk wrote:Be warned: Her voice can be a real turn off.

'Tis true - an acquired taste! :) But few can write an interesting piece with catenaries and dirigibles in the stream of consciousness floating on a plucked harp...

This is one of my favs - and she doesn't tip into her keening voice much here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB23K9tT1JU

Rivu - thx for the update. :cheers: I'll have to check out some of the YT posts here in the thread.
ChasM

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#33  Postby THWOTH » Jan 14, 2012 3:49 pm

Shrunk wrote:

As can her melodies, harmonies and lyrics - for some.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Shrunk » Jan 14, 2012 6:29 pm

THWOTH wrote:
Shrunk wrote:

As can her melodies, harmonies and lyrics - for some.

Have to admit I'm among them. Not a fan.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Rivu » Jan 14, 2012 8:14 pm

Well ,I liked some of Joanna Newson's music, but it's not like Sufjan's music.

I find it a lot more "atmospheric", something that could be playing at the background.

Like a friend of mine put it, when I asked him, it's "cute" or "fluffy", but I do not think she creates music as powerful as Sufjan.

Shrunk,The Pitchfork interview was very interesting. It seems we will never hear any Illinois-type music from him again, though :( .
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring"- Carl Sagan
Rivu

Male

Portugal (pt)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to The Arts & Entertainment