Sufjan Stevens

Is there anyone better atm?

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Sufjan Stevens

#1  Postby I'm With Stupid » Dec 30, 2011 11:33 am

So naturally it's the time of the year where I put Sufjan Stevens' 5 disc Christmas album on, to the delight of everyone I know, and that led me to finally get round to listening to his latest album, The Age of Adz. The last song is a 25 minute masterpiece and I can't stop listening (spent a lot of time on a train this week so I've had the time). Anyone else a fan? What are your favourite albums/songs?

Oh and you've got to get a copy of that Xmas album. It comes with stickers and everything.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Sufjan Stevens

#2  Postby THWOTH » Jan 01, 2012 1:17 am

I'm up-to-date with his output except for the Christmas album. I went looking for it as a treat for myself but the local independent record shop was out. So I ordered it and should pick it up this week. I've given up buying most of my CDs online, except for those really hard to come across albums. I like the local shop, the pasty geeks are friendly and really know their stuff. It's a bit Hi-Fidelity, if you know what I mean, but I always end up buying more than I intended and enjoy the banter with the boys. They'll always put a CD you want to listen to on the store hi-fi, so that you're not tied to one of those damn listening-posts they have in the big chain stores, their prices are very reasonable, and their ordering policy is quite unique. Probably about a third of my CD in the last year were bought on recommendation from the owner.

Sufjan is a great artist and songwriter. He always does a great CD package with great text and interesting artwork which he usually does himself. I also like his general aesthetic, recording all the part himself often in the kitchens and living rooms of the people he graces with his favours. Witty, observed, poignant, and lyrical. Adz was a really interesting project, quite a blend of material which seems to collate all his influences into a kind of folktronic gumbo. He's a one off - and we could do with a lot more of those in modern music today. And besides that he seems like a really nice guy. His stage show for the Adz tour was reported to be quite unique too. I hope he brings out another CD soon.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxgJ7o6mv8Q[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHHwPixP5Co[/youtube]

:D
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Fallible » Jan 01, 2012 1:37 am

I've been hearing about him for several years now, but have spectacularly managed to miss hearing a single track. Perhaps 2012 should be the year of Sufjan for me. Any hints about where to start?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Shrunk » Jan 02, 2012 1:08 am

Fallible wrote:I've been hearing about him for several years now, but have spectacularly managed to miss hearing a single track. Perhaps 2012 should be the year of Sufjan for me. Any hints about where to start?

Definitely Illinoise.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby THWOTH » Jan 02, 2012 1:56 am

:this: Then Michigan.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Rivu » Jan 13, 2012 8:01 pm

Sufjan Stevens is fantastic! The first time I've heard anything of him was almost a year ago, with Illinoise. Then I listened to Age of Adz.

It is very interesting how he manages to create different types of music ( Illinoise and The Age of Adz), mantaining a level of creativity and quality that amazes me every time I listen to it.

I was first allured by Casimir Pulaski Day:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EzeW5KoPUI[/youtube]
But Vesuvius is bordering the sublime!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTsDcjHj54M[/youtube]

Unfortunately, I never heard Michigan and I didn't knew he had a Christmas album :(

EDIT: I had problems to embed the video, but I finally I did it. :P I'm a bit clumsy xD
Last edited by Rivu on Jan 13, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring"- Carl Sagan
Rivu

Male

Portugal (pt)
Print view this post

#7  Postby THWOTH » Jan 13, 2012 8:06 pm

Rivu wrote:Sufjan Stevens is fantastic! The first time I've heard anything of him was almost a year ago, with Illinoise. Then I listened to Age of Adz.

It is very interesting how he manages to create different types of music ( Illinoise and The Age of Adz), mantaining a level of creativity and quality that amazes me every time I listen to it.

Unfortunately, I never heard Michigan and I didn't knew he had a Christmas album :(

FIFY :D :cool: :thumbup: :dance:
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Animavore » Jan 13, 2012 8:10 pm

THWOTH wrote:
Rivu wrote:Sufjan Stevens is fantastic! The first time I've heard anything of him was almost a year ago, with Illinoise. Then I listened to Age of Adz.

FIFY :D :cool: :thumbup: :dance:

FIFY
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#9  Postby THWOTH » Jan 13, 2012 8:11 pm

Ta! :dance:
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Rivu » Jan 13, 2012 8:12 pm

Thank you THWOTH :D . Should have seen your message when I was trying to find how to do it :). Still trying to figuring out the tricks in the forum.

Anyway, to stay on-topic:

Listening now the Michigan. How I missed to hear Sufjan! :D

Edit: And thanks to Animavore to :) . Just realized what FIFY means :dopey:
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring"- Carl Sagan
Rivu

Male

Portugal (pt)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Animavore » Jan 13, 2012 8:16 pm

Who is this Sufjan guy anyway?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#12  Postby THWOTH » Jan 13, 2012 8:20 pm

Animavore wrote:Who is this Sufjan guy anyway?

He's just this guy, you know?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vgy5g-djuA[/youtube]
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby THWOTH » Jan 13, 2012 8:45 pm

The BQE - a film by Sufjan Stevens (trailer).

[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/5682252[/vimeo]

Last edited by THWOTH on Jan 13, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Shrunk » Jan 13, 2012 8:50 pm

Animavore wrote:I was first allured by Casimir Pulaski Day:

It's always interesting to listen to that one while bearing in mind that he's an observant Christian. One of the few songs that can get me to the verge of tears.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Animavore » Jan 13, 2012 8:52 pm

:scratch:

He reminds me of Jack Johnson or someone. A bit light for my tastes. And weary.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby THWOTH » Jan 13, 2012 8:57 pm

You need something a bit more driving and busy to keep you awake between punters don't you Ani? ;)
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Animavore » Jan 13, 2012 9:01 pm

If I ever become a hand-holding, peck-on-the-cheek nice guy I'll listen to Sufjan.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#18  Postby THWOTH » Jan 13, 2012 9:02 pm

OK, I'll bear that in mind for when hell freezes over eh? :D
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Rivu » Jan 13, 2012 9:07 pm

Well, Sufjan may not be for everyone, but in my opinion is nothing like Jack Johnson, if you are refering to that guy in slippers :ill:

Animavore, Have you tried to hear his last album, The Age of Adz? It's quite different from the others , a little more electrical, in my opinion.

Shrunk. Yes, if we analyse the song, there is one line ("In Bible study /we lifted our hands/ and prayed over your body... But nothing ever happens"), that always makes me think about it's meaning.

Nevertheless it is a remarkable song about the loss of someone loved :waah: xD.
Rivu

Male

Portugal (pt)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Animavore » Jan 13, 2012 9:08 pm

It reminds me of the stuff I'd play if I had a woman, or friends with women over as a comprimise between stuff I like and the shite that they almost inevitably like. It doesn't bother me, y'know, it's not something that would drive me to distraction if it was on in the background. I don't think it would offend or annoy anyone else either.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Next

Return to The Arts & Entertainment