Tear Jerkers

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Tear Jerkers

#41  Postby Mantisdreamz » Mar 07, 2010 8:16 pm

Oh ya, I just looked it up he was in Half Nelson as well... which was one of those Sundance Film Festivals. They are okay movies, but they always seem to be about the struggle of some deep & philosophical person.
Mantisdreamz

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#42  Postby Mike_L » Mar 07, 2010 8:48 pm

'Bambi'. That's Bambi Woods.... I thought her performance in Debbie Does Dallas was really "moving". :)
But seriously, Walt Disney's Bambi was probably the first movie to make me cry. I saw it as a very young kid and sobbed.
More recently, Pan's Labyrinth had me teary-eyed.
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#43  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 07, 2010 11:52 pm

Mantisdreamz wrote:Oh ya, I just looked it up he was in Half Nelson as well... which was one of those Sundance Film Festivals. They are okay movies, but they always seem to be about the struggle of some deep & philosophical person.

You don't like indie films?
Mac_Guffin

Name: Christopher
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Mantisdreamz » Mar 08, 2010 12:16 am

Mac_Guffin wrote:
Mantisdreamz wrote:Oh ya, I just looked it up he was in Half Nelson as well... which was one of those Sundance Film Festivals. They are okay movies, but they always seem to be about the struggle of some deep & philosophical person.

I do like them. But sometimes they can be a bit melancholy...
Mantisdreamz

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 08, 2010 12:30 am

Mantisdreamz wrote:
Mac_Guffin wrote:

I do like them. But sometimes they can be a bit melancholy...

Yeah, indie films tend to be melancholy or the characters have to earn their happy ending. There are some light-hearted ones out there, like these 2:

and:
K-pax kind of ripped that one off with whole "Is this guy for real?" plot.
Mac_Guffin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Mantisdreamz » Mar 08, 2010 12:43 am

^ I've never heard of those ones before, if I come across them I'll check them out. Sometimes they sell really cheap indy movies like that at the video store near me. K-Pax I have yet to see, but want to check it out.
Mantisdreamz

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 08, 2010 1:02 am

Another movie that made me cry over an inanimate object...

I know that a few of you thought the movie sucked. :nono:
Mac_Guffin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#48  Postby Tbickle » Mar 08, 2010 1:57 am

Animavore wrote:Didn't cry at Saving Private Ryan when the medical guy dies either.

That part always kills me...

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind gets to me.
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 08, 2010 2:08 am

Speaking of Saving Private Ryan, the part that gets to me is when Ryan breaks down and crys, and asks if he earned it (or something like that).
Mac_Guffin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#50  Postby rachelbean » Mar 08, 2010 4:18 am

Up, Dancer in the Dark, In America, Ponette, Ma Vie En Rose :waah:
rachelbean

Female

Wales (we)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Dracena » Mar 08, 2010 5:00 am

fredbear wrote:"life is beautiful"
:whine:

Me too. And the following:

E.T.

Philadelphia

Fried Green Tomaotes

Mask

Schindler's list,

The Color Purple,

A.I.

Big Fish

The English Patient

:waah: :waah: :waah:

Need to go watch some Borat now. :lol: There, all better.
Dracena

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#52  Postby Mike_L » Mar 08, 2010 10:01 am

Mike_L wrote:'Bambi'. That's Bambi Woods.... I thought her performance in Debbie Does Dallas was really "moving". :)
But seriously, Walt Disney's Bambi was probably the first movie to make me cry. I saw it as a very young kid and sobbed.
More recently, Pan's Labyrinth had me teary-eyed.

Pan's Labyrinth.... deeply affecting. It reminded me of a movie I saw (on VHS) many years ago, the title of which I cannot remember. It was done with animated characters atop photographed backgrounds, and was set in Europe (France or Poland, perhaps) during WW2. A young girl survives a bombing that kills the rest of her family. She goes on the run and into hiding in the Nazi-occupied territory. She notices that German supply trains must cross a bridge into the town, and decides that if she can only destroy the bridge she will be able to bring the war to an end. The bridge is patrolled by guards. But, weak and starving, the girl hides in a stormwater drain (or sewer) close to the bridge, emerging only at night to remove bricks (one by one) from the supporting pillars. The ending is heart-rendingly sad.
Pan's Labyrinth made me think of that one, because of the common theme.... children, simultaneously brave and naïve, becoming victims of war.
Only wish I could recall the name of the animated movie....
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#53  Postby Darkchilde » Mar 08, 2010 11:50 am

Dracena wrote:
Fried Green Tomaotes

What a movie! I cried at that one too...

Also "Dead Poet's Society".
Darkchilde
RS Donator

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#54  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Mar 08, 2010 11:54 am

I've never cried during a flim. That's not to say that I haven't been emotionally effected by some movies, I just haven't been moved to tears. The closest I got was from watching The Hurricane with Denzel Washington.
If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Name: Dave
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#55  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 08, 2010 5:07 pm

Crocodile Gandhi wrote:I've never cried during a flim. That's not to say that I haven't been emotionally effected by some movies, I just haven't been moved to tears. The closest I got was from watching The Hurricane with Denzel Washington.

In recent years, the tears are a little harder to come by, especially in public.
I don't know if it's from being desensitized or what. I hate it because I sometimes come off as one of those lame "Real men don't cry." guys, and I was never raised that way.
Mac_Guffin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#56  Postby Mike_L » Mar 08, 2010 5:35 pm

Mac_Guffin wrote:
Crocodile Gandhi wrote:I've never cried during a flim. That's not to say that I haven't been emotionally effected by some movies, I just haven't been moved to tears. The closest I got was from watching The Hurricane with Denzel Washington.

In recent years, the tears are a little harder to come by, especially in public.
I don't know if it's from being desensitized or what. I hate it because I sometimes come off as one of those lame "Real men don't cry." guys, and I was never raised that way.

Insensitive brute! Somebody oughtta.... Well heck, I'm gonna start knitting myself a pair of boxing gloves right now!
(Kidding, of course!) :lol:
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#57  Postby archibald » Mar 09, 2010 8:51 am

"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#58  Postby Eduard » Mar 09, 2010 9:01 am

I've never shed a tear in a movie either, although I've been close a couple of times. The closest I ever got was watching Brokeback Mountain. I did however shed a few tears and sobs when I read the book after watching the movie ± 3 - 4 times. :waah:
-Ed

"Together we'll pull through. We are the strong, the brave, the few"
Eduard

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#59  Postby Mike_L » Mar 09, 2010 11:38 am

Somebody originally posted this a couple of months ago on the RD forum. It's a "sand animation" performance by Kseniya Simonova, an entrant on Ukraine's Got Talent. She went on to win the contest. The storytelling technique is itself amazing, and here she uses it to powerful dramtic effect. Note the scenes of people (in the audience and on the judges' panel) weeping quite openly....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qOmST_yz-4[/youtube]
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#60  Postby theye1 » Mar 09, 2010 12:25 pm

How come Grave Of The Fireflies not mentioned, Roger Ebert considers it to be one of the most powerful anti-war movies ever made.

If you can sit through that movie and not Cry, then you're a sociopath.
“An American monkey, after getting drunk on brandy, would never touch it again, and thus is much wiser than most men.”
― Charles Darwin
theye1

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to The Arts & Entertainment