Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#11881  Postby felltoearth » Mar 25, 2021 2:38 am

I watched his latest standup when it came out on Netflix. There were a few hood bits but I felt most of the material fell flat and forced to make a point.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 14076
Age: 53

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#11882  Postby arugula2 » Mar 26, 2021 3:29 am

I thought the more recent couple Netflix specials were pretty brilliant. I can’t think of anyone working today who has better joke construction & better delivery.

Re: offensiveness... sarcasm aside, it’s a weird generation. The ones who came into their own in the Internet era are the worst-equipped to handle its capacity for magnifying their weird hangups & their solipsism.

Chappelle Show was ok, it occupied a niche; more interesting than most of the post-Carol Burnett variety shows. A little too ghetto & a little unapproachable for many, is my guess.
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
User avatar
arugula2
 
Posts: 2050

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#11883  Postby felltoearth » Mar 26, 2021 5:34 pm

arugula2 wrote:I thought the more recent couple Netflix specials were pretty brilliant. I can’t think of anyone working today who has better joke construction & better delivery.

Re: offensiveness... sarcasm aside, it’s a weird generation. The ones who came into their own in the Internet era are the worst-equipped to handle its capacity for magnifying their weird hangups & their solipsism.

Chappelle Show was ok, it occupied a niche; more interesting than most of the post-Carol Burnett variety shows. A little too ghetto & a little unapproachable for many, is my guess.

His show was pretty fantastic and scathing at times. And I agree about his comedic abilities which is why I was expecting better.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 14076
Age: 53

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#11884  Postby arugula2 » Apr 02, 2021 9:11 pm

Image The Outsider (2020)

(HBO) A lot of strong characters. Some not so strong: the DA is minor, the 2nd PI isn't... I like her half the time, I just think she hasn't had a chance to develop a believable affect. (It's too bad she's the only major character who's 'black', and extra-token bc that character isn't, in the book.) Pretty much the rest of the cast is consistently excellent, in particular Julianne Nicholson and Mare Winningham as the "wives". They're so much better than this script, and it's not a horrible script. They're just stunning. Also, Scarlet Blum, as the requisite creepy little girl, has her moments.

I'm in episode 6 of 10. Before this, there'd be a smattering of lazy exposition, cushioned by good pacing & expert direction, and a mostly great cast. But now, in ep6 (and a bit in ep5), people are being dumb. And so of course, the shit they say to each other, to justify their being dumb, takes up more of the script. So less enjoyment of the atmosphere & the great cast (and the tantalizing mystery)... and more eye-rolling at dumb words in the mouths of erstwhile smart people suddenly being dumb. Writers dropping the ball... hope it's just some corner-cutting to set up the rest of the show in original form.

ETA: A special request to showrunners who add loud, foregrounded foley effects to simulate "beeping" button presses (on a smartphone) or want us to believe a wifi connection stands in the way of an email reply (in the age of smartphones), and some other gadgety stuff that might've been believable when they were young: Stop it.
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
User avatar
arugula2
 
Posts: 2050

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#11885  Postby arugula2 » Apr 04, 2021 5:46 am

^ sucks from episode 5 onward... made it to episode 8. Plot, dialogue, pacing, trash. Good actors, wasted. If the final 2 episodes got good again for whatever reason, it won't have earned it.
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
User avatar
arugula2
 
Posts: 2050

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#11886  Postby scott1328 » Apr 05, 2021 6:57 pm

arugula2 wrote:Image The Outsider (2020)

(HBO) A lot of strong characters. Some not so strong: the DA is minor, the 2nd PI isn't... I like her half the time, I just think she hasn't had a chance to develop a believable affect. (It's too bad she's the only major character who's 'black', and extra-token bc that character isn't, in the book.) Pretty much the rest of the cast is consistently excellent, in particular Julianne Nicholson and Mare Winningham as the "wives". They're so much better than this script, and it's not a horrible script. They're just stunning. Also, Scarlet Blum, as the requisite creepy little girl, has her moments.

I'm in episode 6 of 10. Before this, there'd be a smattering of lazy exposition, cushioned by good pacing & expert direction, and a mostly great cast. But now, in ep6 (and a bit in ep5), people are being dumb. And so of course, the shit they say to each other, to justify their being dumb, takes up more of the script. So less enjoyment of the atmosphere & the great cast (and the tantalizing mystery)... and more eye-rolling at dumb words in the mouths of erstwhile smart people suddenly being dumb. Writers dropping the ball... hope it's just some corner-cutting to set up the rest of the show in original form.

ETA: A special request to showrunners who add loud, foregrounded foley effects to simulate "beeping" button presses (on a smartphone) or want us to believe a wifi connection stands in the way of an email reply (in the age of smartphones), and some other gadgety stuff that might've been believable when they were young: Stop it.

I hated, hated, hated this series. It's boring. It's anti-climactic.
User avatar
scott1328
 
Name: Some call me... Tim
Posts: 8703
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#11887  Postby arugula2 » Apr 05, 2021 10:36 pm

Eps 1-4 were promising... 5-7 were regrettable... I can't imagine enduring it to the end - which sounds like you might have. :P
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
User avatar
arugula2
 
Posts: 2050

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#11888  Postby arugula2 » Apr 05, 2021 10:39 pm

Image Raised by Wolves (2020)

Nah. :hand:
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
User avatar
arugula2
 
Posts: 2050

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#11889  Postby scott1328 » Apr 05, 2021 11:51 pm

arugula2 wrote:Eps 1-4 were promising... 5-7 were regrettable... I can't imagine enduring it to the end - which sounds like you might have. :P

i hate watched it from episode three forward. i would not have bothered with it at all, except my S.O. cannot bear to let a series go unfinished once he has committed a cetain length of time to it. and since he was watching it i sat beside him reading a book or working sudoku puzzles.
User avatar
scott1328
 
Name: Some call me... Tim
Posts: 8703
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#11890  Postby scott1328 » Apr 05, 2021 11:52 pm

arugula2 wrote:Image Raised by Wolves (2020)

Nah. :hand:

best avoided. this one is at least as stupid as the outsider was.
User avatar
scott1328
 
Name: Some call me... Tim
Posts: 8703
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#11891  Postby arugula2 » Apr 06, 2021 11:18 pm

^ I knew about 5 mins in. Gave it another 10 or so. :P
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
User avatar
arugula2
 
Posts: 2050

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#11892  Postby arugula2 » Apr 08, 2021 4:17 am

Image The Undoing (2020)

Nah.
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
User avatar
arugula2
 
Posts: 2050

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#11893  Postby akigr8 » Apr 08, 2021 9:50 am

scott1328 wrote:
arugula2 wrote:Image The Outsider (2020)

(HBO) A lot of strong characters. Some not so strong: the DA is minor, the 2nd PI isn't... I like her half the time, I just think she hasn't had a chance to develop a believable affect. (It's too bad she's the only major character who's 'black', and extra-token bc that character isn't, in the book.) Pretty much the rest of the cast is consistently excellent, in particular Julianne Nicholson and Mare Winningham as the "wives". They're so much better than this script, and it's not a horrible script. They're just stunning. Also, Scarlet Blum, as the requisite creepy little girl, has her moments.

I'm in episode 6 of 10. Before this, there'd be a smattering of lazy exposition, cushioned by good pacing & expert direction, and a mostly great cast. But now, in ep6 (and a bit in ep5), people are being dumb. And so of course, the shit they say to each other, to justify their being dumb, takes up more of the script. So less enjoyment of the atmosphere & the great cast (and the tantalizing mystery)... and more eye-rolling at dumb words in the mouths of erstwhile smart people suddenly being dumb. Writers dropping the ball... hope it's just some corner-cutting to set up the rest of the show in original form.

ETA: A special request to showrunners who add loud, foregrounded foley effects to simulate "beeping" button presses (on a smartphone) or want us to believe a wifi connection stands in the way of an email reply (in the age of smartphones), and some other gadgety stuff that might've been believable when they were young: Stop it.

I hated, hated, hated this series. It's boring. It's anti-climactic.

I thought the series was great, some turns I didn't expect. Bit slow moving/boring at times but over all I enjoyed it
I once applied for a job as a mustard cutter.

But unfortunately I wasn’t quite good enough.
User avatar
akigr8
 
Name: Kim
Posts: 3672

Country: No Reg
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#11894  Postby akigr8 » Apr 08, 2021 9:56 am

arugula2 wrote:Image Raised by Wolves (2020)

Nah. :hand:

Good start to this show, interesting setting for further story line. I have only seen the first three episodes but so far so good :popcorn:
I once applied for a job as a mustard cutter.

But unfortunately I wasn’t quite good enough.
User avatar
akigr8
 
Name: Kim
Posts: 3672

Country: No Reg
Print view this post

Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#11895  Postby arugula2 » Apr 08, 2021 7:01 pm

scott1328 wrote:
arugula2 wrote:Eps 1-4 were promising... 5-7 were regrettable... I can't imagine enduring it to the end - which sounds like you might have. :P

i hate watched it from episode three forward. i would not have bothered with it at all, except my S.O. cannot bear to let a series go unfinished once he has committed a cetain length of time to it. and since he was watching it i sat beside him reading a book or working sudoku puzzles.

My go-to remedy is a podcast + earbuds, but I totally get it.
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
User avatar
arugula2
 
Posts: 2050

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Television Shows you're currently Enjoying

#11896  Postby arugula2 » Apr 08, 2021 7:03 pm

Re: HBO free sub which just expired... downloaded some things to the ipad, hoping I'll remember to turn off the wifi before unpausing. ;)
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
User avatar
arugula2
 
Posts: 2050

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Film & TV

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests