The best 10 sci-fi or magic/fantasy based movies

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The best 10 sci-fi or magic/fantasy based movies

#221  Postby Nostalgia » Nov 26, 2011 6:22 pm

I see we've started debating about what counts as a science fiction movie; any movie with a tiny amount of "speculative scientific fiction" such as The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine or more obvious sci-fi films.

I use to work in a bookstore and would see a lot of snobbery towards science fiction literature. I remember two people standing in line, friends, boyfriend or girlfriend, I'm not sure. The woman was berating (in a friendly yet patronising way) the book the man had bought. she was saying how sci-fi isn't proper literature, how it lacked characterisation and emotional depth. I served him first, he bought one of the Science Fiction Masterworks series, I forget which one.

Next I served the woman. She was buying a few books, one of which was The Time Traveller's Wife. The irony was lost on her. :roll:
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#222  Postby j.mills » Nov 26, 2011 7:26 pm

:grin:
Robert Conquest (IIRC) wrote:"SF's no good!" they bellow till we're deaf.
"But this is good." "Well, then - it's not SF!"
WordsVoiceLimericky tweets

There is grandeur in this view of life
Where one becomes many through struggle and strife,
But the Mother of Mysteries is another man's call:
Why is there something 'stead of nothing at all?

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#223  Postby Mike_L » Nov 26, 2011 7:31 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JaJG1fXHpM[/youtube]
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#224  Postby Onyx8 » Nov 26, 2011 8:33 pm

Margaret Atwood has gone on record claiming that what she writes is not science fiction, presumably to avoid being tarred with the 'bad literature' brush.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#225  Postby Nostalgia » Nov 26, 2011 8:40 pm

Exactly.

What she writes IS science fiction. Despite the bellow quotes.

Science fiction has monsters and spaceships.

Oryx and Crake is a speculative fiction, not a science fiction proper. It contains no intergalactic space travel, no teleportation, no Martians.

For me, the science fiction label belongs on books with things in them that we can't yet do.... speculative fiction means a work that employs the means already to hand and that takes place on Planet Earth

Seems to me she's splitting hairs to distance herself from the "monsters and spaceships" type of sci-fi.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#226  Postby Fallible » Nov 26, 2011 9:09 pm

Some of her stuff is so sci-fi.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#227  Postby Mazille » Nov 27, 2011 1:05 am

j.mills wrote:I concur: Car(r?)ey is good. What's wrong with stuff like Ace Ventura anyway? Being over the top therein is kinda the point! :smile:

Not unlike Adam Sandler, or the guy who played Gaylord Focker he plays the same role in every fucking movie. Seen one, seen them all.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#228  Postby j.mills » Nov 27, 2011 1:35 am

Sandler ain't much funny though. Carrey's got some of that Jerry Lewis zaniness about him in his comedies. ( - Focker was Ben Stiller, btw, who's in between.)

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#229  Postby Nostalgia » Nov 27, 2011 2:35 am

Mazille wrote:
j.mills wrote:I concur: Car(r?)ey is good. What's wrong with stuff like Ace Ventura anyway? Being over the top therein is kinda the point! :smile:

Not unlike Adam Sandler, or the guy who played Gaylord Focker he plays the same role in every fucking movie. Seen one, seen them all.

Except the aforementioned The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine show that's not the case. Also, I'm not a huge Ben Stiller fan but he was great in The Royal Tenenbaums. As for Adam Sandler, I'd agree that all Adam Sandler movies are the same flick with a separate script. But not ever movie with him in it is a Adam Sandler movie. Funny People was very good for example.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

Re:

#230  Postby maik » Nov 27, 2011 7:05 am

NilsGLindgren wrote:I'd like to agree with maik. Jim Carrey can, when kept on a tight leash (by himself? by the director?) perform very well indeed. He is an actor slightly hampered by an animal detective, if youy take my meaning.

I think that Carrey plays "crazy" only when asked, except maybe his very first comedies. It's obvious for me that directors in many comedies let him loose deliberately, so he does his crazy physical acting. It's also obvious that these comedies are written for him. I don't think that films like Liar or Me, myself and Irene would have made it to the theaters, if Carrey wasn't in them. He can very well play comedy roles without over- doing it, as he has already done in Popper's Penguins or Lemony Snicket...
He is nothing like Adam Sandler, because Sandler gives the impression that he can not play otherwise, when Carrey gives the impression (at least to me), in all his look- alike films, that he is having fun. That's not necessarily always good for the viewer. You either hate or love this kind of attitude. If you are a fan as i am, you love it. I wouldn't have been a fan, if i didn't know what this guy can do when given a demanding script.
ΜΙΧΑΛΗΣ Δ.
maik

Name: Μιχαήλ
Male

European Union (eur)

Birthday
Print view this post

#231  Postby NilsGLindgren » Nov 27, 2011 9:48 am

I highly enjoyed The Mask, which was Jim Carrey over-the-top at his ... most amusing. Can't comment on Adam Sandler as I have, believe it or not, not seen one single movie featuring him.
H.L. Menken: "Puritanism - the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."
NilsGLindgren

Name: Nyarla Thotep

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#232  Postby Nostalgia » Nov 27, 2011 10:16 am

You're not missing much. But I would suggest Funny People though, but as I said it's not an Adam Sandler movie. Just a movie he's in.

George Simmons (Sandler) is a very successful 40-something comedian and actor. However, he is self-absorbed, lonely and estranged from his family. When diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia, George is offered an experimental treatment which has an eight-percent chance of therapeutic response. Believing he is about to die, he decides to return to his roots and do stand-up comedy.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#233  Postby orpheus » Nov 27, 2011 2:22 pm

Returning momentarily to the topic of whether a particular writer's work is sci-fi or not:

Neal Stephenson wrote:I always write with a science fiction feel to my stories, though for some of the books, the marketing may be more toward a mainstream audience. The science fiction approach doesn't mean it's always about the future; it's an awareness that this is different.

http://www.sfsite.com/10b/ns67.htm
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#234  Postby CookieJon » Nov 27, 2011 2:41 pm

People just love to classify and label things, don't we!
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#235  Postby orpheus » Nov 27, 2011 3:07 pm

CookieJon wrote:People just love to classify and label things, don't we!

Well, one category of people do.
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#236  Postby j.mills » Nov 27, 2011 7:20 pm

Whenever the Sandler thing comes up, I have to point to Punch Drunk Love as proof that he has the chops; but he seems content to pick crap films most of the time.

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#237  Postby virphen » Nov 27, 2011 7:25 pm

CookieJon wrote:People just love to classify and label things, don't we!

Taxonomists like yourself do.
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#238  Postby j.mills » Nov 27, 2011 7:27 pm

I am one of that group who never categorise.

(Do I detect a hint of Russell's Paradox in the air?)

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#239  Postby Mike_L » Nov 27, 2011 8:20 pm

Disney does sci-fi...

The Black Hole (1979)

Didn't do very well at the box office, but I quite liked it. Anthony Perkins (Norman Bates from Psycho) gets shredded by a robot with spinning blades. Then the ship plunges into the black hole and the movie goes all esoteric. Bizarre ending to an otherwise-entertaining live-action cartoon.
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#240  Postby NilsGLindgren » Nov 27, 2011 8:21 pm

MacIver wrote:I see we've started debating about what counts as a science fiction movie; any movie with a tiny amount of "speculative scientific fiction" such as The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine or more obvious sci-fi films.

Not a movie but: the latest trilogy from WIlliam GIbson, Pattern Recognition, Spook Country, and Zero History, make for a story with a definite SF-feel to it, while not containing one scrap of non-existing technology. What Gibson does here, is make the current possibilities of technology appear as if they were something from the near future, like ... 2011? 2011? Ooops ...
The cameo appearance of the Kurta calculator is close to priceless.
H.L. Menken: "Puritanism - the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."
NilsGLindgren

Name: Nyarla Thotep

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to The Arts & Entertainment