The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Brief criticism.

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo

#21  Postby Animavore » Dec 29, 2011 3:43 pm

Let's not derail, though.

Anyway I shall be watching TGWTDT in a few minutes. Got a subbed version. Then I'll hopefully see the American one later in the week.

Although I'm wondering if I should watch the American first just to try eliminate bias :ask: Or would I have to watch both together to do that?

I have a habit in may cases of preferring which ever version of a film/song I see/hear first. Though not as often with film. Movies don't generally get under my skin the way music does.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Nautilidae » Dec 29, 2011 3:58 pm

Animavore wrote:Let's not derail, though.

Anyway I shall be watching TGWTDT in a few minutes. Got a subbed version. Then I'll hopefully see the American one later in the week.

Although I'm wondering if I should watch the American first just to try eliminate bias :ask: Or would I have to watch both together to do that?

I have a habit in may cases of preferring which ever version of a film/song I see/hear first. Though not as often with film. Movies don't generally get under my skin the way music does.

I'm not sure what to recommend here. I'd suggest seeing Fincher's version first to eliminate any possibility of bias, but then again, I saw the 2009 version first and still liked Fincher's version much more. I can't tell you very much. You may connect with the Swedish/Danish film more than I did. I think in this case the two films are different enough for it not to matter as long as you view both with an open mind.
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#23  Postby THWOTH » Dec 29, 2011 8:04 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:When are American makeovers better than the original?

Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo was better than Herbie Rides Again
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Nautilidae » Dec 29, 2011 8:34 pm

In response to some of the naysaying that's been done by several people [on forum and off], I'll be seeing David Fincher's film for the second time tonight. Then I'll have seen the Fincher version as many times as the Swedish version. I'm still convinced that it's a masterpiece, but there's always the possibility that it won't be quite as shining the second time around.
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

#25  Postby Animavore » Dec 30, 2011 8:30 am

Can someone please fix the spelling in the title. It's bugging me :whine:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Nautilidae » Dec 30, 2011 8:05 pm

My opinions have been reassured. Despite going into the film slightly disgruntled [I saw a 35mm print as opposed to a digital projection. This wouldn't be a problem at all if the film wasn't shot digitally. A very minor problem. Also, did I mention that my friends decided it was time to have a conversation in the middle of the theater just as the movie began?], Fincher's film was every bit as stunning as it was the first time. I absolutely loved it, and I'll gladly pay the time and money to see it a few more times before it leaves cinemas. Then, when the Blu-ray is released, I'll purchase the 2-disc Collector's Edition and watch all of the making-of-documentaries 7 times each. Only then will I be satisfied.

4/4
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Varangian » Dec 30, 2011 10:55 pm

I haven't seen the movies, nor read the novels, but I've checked the reviews in Swedish newspapers, and most are very favourable, giving it an average rating of 4 out of 5. If Swedes find it worth watching, I'm sure Americans can find it in their hearts that it might be viewable.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby VanYoungman » Dec 30, 2011 10:59 pm

I never said it wasn't viewable. I just said it didn't hold a candle to the exquisitely viewable versions (3).

Nullius in Verba
VanYoungman
RS Donator

Name: Charles Van Patten You
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#29  Postby THWOTH » Dec 30, 2011 11:31 pm

No Van, you were just wrong. You can't argue with a 4/4.

;)
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Paul G » Jan 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Nautilidae wrote: In my eyes, this is the same ridiculous debate that went on before and after the release of the Coen Brothers' True Grit. People had panned it before even giving it a fair look.

And it turns out to be vastly superior to the original.
Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Macdoc » Jan 02, 2012 6:33 pm

I'm making sure that he's speaking from a proper frame of reference. I recently encountered someone who claimed that Noomi Rapace was the better Salander without having seen the David Fincher film, and I shouldn't have to tell anyone here how flawed and irrational that is. In my eyes, this is the same ridiculous debate that went on before and after the release of the Coen Brothers' True Grit. People had panned it before even giving it a fair look.

Yes Naut that was me and you apparently did not understand my criticism and still don't - the in theatre version is miscast period = defend it all you like - there are many critics and people like me have no use for the American version. Mara is a wimp not a predator and Craig is an action star not a journal editor.
The books and the Swedish version of the film worked together consistently and the casting was excellent - I could care less about Fincher"s "craft"...it's miscast.

BTW True Grit take 2 is a POS as well. ( not that the original was any "masterpiece" either.
Maybe you like operatic overblown "entertainment".....I don't.
Last edited by Macdoc on Jan 02, 2012 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Nautilidae » Jan 02, 2012 6:42 pm

Macdoc wrote:
I'm making sure that he's speaking from a proper frame of reference. I recently encountered someone who claimed that Noomi Rapace was the better Salander without having seen the David Fincher film, and I shouldn't have to tell anyone here how flawed and irrational that is. In my eyes, this is the same ridiculous debate that went on before and after the release of the Coen Brothers' True Grit. People had panned it before even giving it a fair look.

Yes Naut that was me and you apparently did not understand my criticism and still don't - the in theatre version is miscast period = defend it all you like - there are many critics and people like me have no use for the American version. Mara is a wimp not a predator and Craig is an action star not a journal editor.
The books and the Swedish version of the film worked together consistently and the casting was excellent - I could care less about Fincher"s "craft"...it's miscast.

You seen the film yet, MacDoc?
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Animavore » Jan 02, 2012 6:43 pm

I saw the original ealier. Got bored and turned it off about halfway into it.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Macdoc » Jan 02, 2012 6:45 pm

I'll wait until it's free - not worth my time or money and that seems the only defense you have to rely on that I haven't seen it.
I won't spend for things I have little interest in. I'm quite comfortable with my parsing of what is worth seeing.
You are just trying to get everyone to take view of it as some sort of masterpiece......sorry - some have different sensibilities.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Nautilidae » Jan 02, 2012 7:36 pm

Macdoc wrote:I'll wait until it's free - not worth my time or money and that seems the only defense you have to rely on that I haven't seen it.

Because that's the only defense I NEED, MacDoc. If you got into an argument with a creationist who claimed Richard Dawkins' The Greatest Show on Earth was an inaccurate, badly written piece of shit without having read it, he would be the laughing stock of this entire forum. How are your criticisms any less baseless than those of this hypothetical fuckwit?

I won't spend for things I have little interest in. I'm quite comfortable with my parsing of what is worth seeing.
You are just trying to get everyone to take view of it as some sort of masterpiece......sorry - some have different sensibilities.

And just what sensibilities does the Fincher film satisfy? I'd certainly like to know how you have any knowledge of that. I have no problem with people disagreeing with me, but if you're arguing with me without actually having seen the film in question, your opinion is worth nothing. You can cast doubt all you want - I was skeptical myself before seeing the movie - but don't make bold statements until you're in a position to do so.
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby Animavore » Feb 03, 2012 4:27 pm

Kermode finally speaks.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZFuQG4wG0I[/youtube]

:hide:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Nautilidae » Feb 03, 2012 6:59 pm

Animavore wrote:Kermode finally speaks.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZFuQG4wG0I[/youtube]

:hide:

:nono: I don't know where to begin.
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Pulsar » Feb 03, 2012 7:00 pm

"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Globe » Feb 03, 2012 7:45 pm

I don't see the point in remaking movies....
The movie has already been made. It's out there. :dunno:
"Justice will be served!
As soon as I can find you a piece that hasn't gone rotten." - Globe

I don't accept sexism, no matter what gender is being targeted with an -ism.
Globe

Female

Spain (es)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Animavore » Feb 03, 2012 7:51 pm

It wasn't even that good to begin with. Why would I want to watch a movie I turned off half-way out of boredom again in English?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to The Arts & Entertainment