The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Brief criticism.

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

#1  Postby VanYoungman » Dec 24, 2011 10:55 pm

I'm sure this will attract whatever, but having read the major reviews, I find them wanting. Because of the "Spoiler" ban I sha'nt elaborate for a few weeks but let me say this: Contrary to most reviews, the difference between the Swedish version, Rapace and the American version, Mara, is the difference between class and crass. I don't blame Mara. I blame her director (realiser). I apologise for American heavy handedness.

Nullius in Verba
VanYoungman
RS Donator

Name: Charles Van Patten You
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo

#2  Postby sennekuyl » Dec 24, 2011 11:06 pm

Just the shorts have made me think "ugh".

I may see it if everyone insists watching it of video, but I'd be pushing for the Swedish version with subtitles.
Defining Australians:
When returning home from overseas, you expect to be brutally strip-searched by Customs – just in case you're trying to sneak in fruit.
sennekuyl

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Nautilidae » Dec 25, 2011 3:30 am

VanYoungman wrote:I'm sure this will attract whatever, but having read the major reviews, I find them wanting. Because of the "Spoiler" ban I sha'nt elaborate for a few weeks but let me say this: Contrary to most reviews, the difference between the Swedish version, Rapace and the American version, Mara, is the difference between class and crass. I don't blame Mara. I blame her director (realiser). I apologise for American heavy handedness.

I found nothing heavy-handed about Rooney Mara's performance at all. In fact, I found her portrayal of the character much more absorbing than Rapace's. There's a real sense of pathos about Salander in David Fincher's adaptation, a layer of humanity that was never present in the 2009 adaptation. In Fincher's film, Salander seems like a much more layered character, which is why her violent outbursts were so much more disturbing to me. She lures you in with a strange air of vulnerability only to break your neck and feed you to the hounds. Yet despite this, you still find yourself feeling heartbroken. Noomi Rapace's Lizbeth Salander evoked a scratch of the chin, nod of the head. Rooney Mara's Lizbeth Salander packs a much more visceral punch while engaging me intellectually in equal measure.

You can read the rest in my review.
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby VanYoungman » Dec 28, 2011 8:23 pm

Nullius in Verba
VanYoungman
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Nautilidae » Dec 28, 2011 9:46 pm

I have a question, VanYoungman:

Have you actually seen David Fincher's film?
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby THWOTH » Dec 28, 2011 10:18 pm

Nautilidae wrote:

Are you calling dear Van a liar? :ask:
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Mycernius » Dec 28, 2011 10:42 pm

I saw the film yesterday. I must say I enjoyed it, although there were some alterations to the book and the Swedish version. However I think a good job was done overall, although I will most likely stick to the Swedish film.
Mycernius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Nautilidae » Dec 28, 2011 10:52 pm

THWOTH wrote:
Nautilidae wrote:

I'm making sure that he's speaking from a proper frame of reference. I recently encountered someone who claimed that Noomi Rapace was the better Salander without having seen the David Fincher film, and I shouldn't have to tell anyone here how flawed and irrational that is. In my eyes, this is the same ridiculous debate that went on before and after the release of the Coen Brothers' True Grit. People had panned it before even giving it a fair look.
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby THWOTH » Dec 28, 2011 10:56 pm

Nautilidae wrote:
THWOTH wrote:
Nautilidae wrote:

I'm making sure that he's speaking from a proper frame of reference. I recently encountered someone who claimed that Noomi Rapace was the better Salander without having seen the David Fincher film, and I shouldn't have to tell anyone here how flawed and irrational that is. In my eyes, this is the same ridiculous debate that went on before and after the release of the Coen Brothers' True Grit. People had panned it before even giving it a fair look.

OK. So you're not calling dear Van a liar - you just don't believe him.

;)
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Nautilidae » Dec 28, 2011 11:07 pm

THWOTH wrote:
OK. So you're not calling dear Van a liar - you just don't believe him.

;)

There are just some things I don't want to believe... like someone disliking this masterpiece.

:nono:

VanYoungman, please don't be offended by any of this. I've just seen the bias-driven habits of others, and I'd like to be sure that this isn't another case of hand-waving.

:cheers:
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Nostalgia » Dec 28, 2011 11:59 pm

I thought it was absolute bollocks.

Actually, I haven't seen it... muhahaha!
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Nautilidae » Dec 29, 2011 2:29 am

MacIver wrote:I thought it was absolute bollocks.

Actually, I haven't seen it... muhahaha!

Reaction #1:

Reaction #2:
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby VanYoungman » Dec 29, 2011 12:18 pm

Yes, of course I saw it. The U.S. version is like US young men . They enjoy sitting around swilling their beers Coors, Bud all LITE.

The Swedish version is subtle and mature like an 18 year old Oban single malt.

Nullius in Verba
VanYoungman
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby VanYoungman » Dec 29, 2011 2:20 pm

Not only did I see the movie, but I was forced for the first time in my life to suffer through the experience of an American theater. A gigantic complex far away from everything with 15 horrible movies going on at once. Forced to watch trailers on a gigantic screen practically in my face with the decibel level so high that it caused ear damage, it became clear why I don't attend the cinema in this country.

At least when the Swedish version was screened, it was screened in an art theater with a modicum of taste.

I repeat: Fincher's flamboyant film was nothing more than an expensive, cheap, overwrought imitation of the original. Crass, not class.

Nullius in Verba
VanYoungman
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Animavore » Dec 29, 2011 2:25 pm

I just watched the first ten minutes of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo before I realised it was dubbed and not subtitled rendering it unwatchable to me but in those opening shots alone it is clear to me that the Swedish version is better than the American imitation in everyway. I don't even have to watch the rest of the film or the American one, which from the one poster I saw for it on the side of a bus looks tacky and obnoxious, to know that the original is and always will be the best.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 29, 2011 2:37 pm

When are American makeovers better than the original?

I cant think of one but I can think of plenty of makeovers that were terrible; Alfie and The Italian Job for starters.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Animavore » Dec 29, 2011 2:45 pm

I can't think of one off-hand but I haven't seen all remakes. I heard that The Departed is better than Infernal Affairs but I've seen neither.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Nautilidae » Dec 29, 2011 3:19 pm

VanYoungman wrote:Yes, of course I saw it. The U.S. version is like US young men . They enjoy sitting around swilling their beers Coors, Bud all LITE.

The Swedish version is subtle and mature like an 18 year old Oban single malt.

Ah yes, quite right! No need to tell ME, Van! I, of course, appreciate and indulge in the subtly and classiness of being tied up whilst a 23-year-old girl violently shoves a rubber dildo up my ass and then tattoos vulgar words upon my chest... in Swedish! My god, I can practically taste the crystal chandeliers and aged bordeaux! Say, this wouldn't by any chance be a Woody Allen comedy, would it?

:roll:
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Mycernius » Dec 29, 2011 3:28 pm

Animavore wrote:I can't think of one off-hand but I haven't seen all remakes. I heard that The Departed is better than Infernal Affairs but I've seen neither.

I didn't think so. They try and fit the first and last Infernal Affairs into the one film, with flashbacks to cover the second one.
Mycernius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Nautilidae » Dec 29, 2011 3:38 pm

Mycernius wrote:
Animavore wrote:I can't think of one off-hand but I haven't seen all remakes. I heard that The Departed is better than Infernal Affairs but I've seen neither.

I didn't think so. They try and fit the first and last Infernal Affairs into the one film, with flashbacks to cover the second one.

Sorry, Mycernius, but I have to confirm Animavore. I thought The Departed was leagues ahead of Infernal Affairs in nearly every respect.

:dunno:
Nautilidae
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Next

Return to The Arts & Entertainment