Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: The Guitar Thread

#382  Postby hackenslash » Nov 01, 2018 12:12 pm

felltoearth wrote:If you hadn’t recommended it, I wouldn’t have believed it. So many guitar “snake oil” teachers out there.

He's really good. Despite having been playing for more than forty years, I've bought a few of his lessons, and I like them.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#383  Postby Animavore » Nov 01, 2018 1:05 pm

I think I have scales sussed. You play any ol' note on in the scale and it fits into the tune of the same scale key.

https://instaud.io/2S0H

Probably going to be told I bolloxed it up somehow.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#384  Postby BWE » Nov 02, 2018 5:25 pm

Animavore wrote:I bought them while I was already out shopping.

I just noticed the E major scale is actually the infamous do-ray-mi-fa-so-la-ti-do. This seems like something which should've been expkained to me when I was 7.

All major scales are do re me.
BWE

Print view this post

#385  Postby BWE » Nov 02, 2018 8:43 pm

Animavore wrote:I think I have scales sussed. You play any ol' note on in the scale and it fits into the tune of the same scale key.

There is a bit more to it than just playing any ol' note but not a whole lot. What you did there was a great starting point and a very good way to practice. I didn't play electric for about ten years because I was in an acoustic band for that time but we've reconfigured and I'm playing electric again for the past 9 months or so. I really love electric guitar.

When I was in my last rock and roll band I played pretty aggressively but now that I'm old, I play a lot more groovy. Blues boxes (minor pentatonics) are great scales for going nuts on.

Song from about 15 yrs ago, me on electric playing aggressively:
https://sites.google.com/site/pteraster ... edirects=0
BWE

Print view this post

#386  Postby electricwhiteboy » Nov 03, 2018 11:57 am

One thing that really unlocks how to write and work out tunes is how to build chords off scales. In very basic terms you add three steps up the scale from the root note, then five steps up from the root note. E.g The chord E major is made up of E the root, G# the third, and B the fifth. You can build up chords for every note of the scale in exactly the same way, just remember the sharps and flats of that scale. E major is E F# G# A B C# D E. So building up another chord A maj, A C# E.

The basic three chord trick is the chords built off the first fourth and fifth notes of the scale. Again using E major as an example, E maj A Maj B Maj They will sound good in just about any order, and you will be able to harmonise most simple melodies in the major key with those three chords alone.

In terms of playing those over chords the pentatonic scale will always sound good. Note choice, like chord choice comes down to resolution. That basically means if that note over that chord feels like it wants to go somewhere, if it makes you feel tense it wants to resolve to a note usually within the chord. You can keep that tension going over chord changes but as a rule you want to resolve where the chord progression resolves. That is where the chord feels it doesn't want to go anywhere in the progression. You could just end it there. Hope that all makes sense. Happy to explain further, this is just the bare bones of theory. The skeleton you can hang everything else off. Music theory is like the physics of music, it explains and makes accurate predictions about the progression of a tune using ratios. I highly recommend the Guitar Handbook by Ralph Denyer. It explains in clear simple english everything about the instrument, its construction, the history, major innovators, music theory from a guitar perspective, equipment from the electronics up, guitar effects signal chains, basic song structure. And if you can find it old PDFs of Guitar Techniques magazine. It has tab and explanations of all techniques used in the songs, and often the theory and suggested amp settings. This is how I've taught myself the instrument and the rudiments of music theory.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#387  Postby Animavore » Nov 03, 2018 3:42 pm

:cheers:

I've also looked into that guy Tony recommended. I like the structure he creates for learning. Seems more focused and has direction. Just what I needed.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#388  Postby Animavore » Nov 03, 2018 3:47 pm

BWE wrote:
Animavore wrote:I think I have scales sussed. You play any ol' note on in the scale and it fits into the tune of the same scale key.

There is a bit more to it than just playing any ol' note but not a whole lot. What you did there was a great starting point and a very good way to practice. I didn't play electric for about ten years because I was in an acoustic band for that time but we've reconfigured and I'm playing electric again for the past 9 months or so. I really love electric guitar.

When I was in my last rock and roll band I played pretty aggressively but now that I'm old, I play a lot more groovy. Blues boxes (minor pentatonics) are great scales for going nuts on.

Nifty skillz. :cheers:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#389  Postby BWE » Nov 04, 2018 12:02 am

Animavore wrote:
BWE wrote:

Nifty skillz. :cheers:

Thanks. I just realized that I didn't say the point of linking that. Although ego is good as a point I suppose. :) My original point though was that that whole tweedly bit in there is all just a blues box (pentatonic scale). There is some attention to what someone earlier called resolving on the dominant chord but in general, if you can understand how the pentatonic relates to a song, you can almost always play along using it.

The whole bit about chords being built off the 1st 3rd and 5th note of a scale is actually the foundation for all of music theory and it's super important but the pentatonic scales kind of let you bypass the thinking real hard part of that.
BWE

Print view this post

#390  Postby electricwhiteboy » Nov 06, 2018 12:12 pm

BWE wrote:Thanks. I just realized that I didn't say the point of linking that. Although ego is good as a point I suppose. :) My original point though was that that whole tweedly bit in there is all just a blues box (pentatonic scale). There is some attention to what someone earlier called resolving on the dominant chord but in general, if you can understand how the pentatonic relates to a song, you can almost always play along using it.

The whole bit about chords being built off the 1st 3rd and 5th note of a scale is actually the foundation for all of music theory and it's super important but the pentatonic scales kind of let you bypass the thinking real hard part of that.

N.b Post aimed at Ani than rather than yourself

Soloing by ear in the pentatonic whilst the rhythm is chugging along in power chords is about 90% of all classic rock lead, the other 10% is what you add to it. Once you've got the basics it's not long before you can solo by ear. What you do next is up to you. There are the guys who know exactly where they are in the progression, and are chosing specific notes. Other players go completely go by ear, most folk will be a bit of both. Playing an improvised solo is kinda like playing snooker. It's all about positional play, I'm listening to what I'm playing but thinking a couple of shots ahead. "Ok, there's a D Minor 7th coming up, so if I can nudge the melody to this part of the neck I can play this lick over it."

I'm no theory buff but I would advocate anyone knowing the basics if they want to write their own music. If you only ever want to do covers it demystifies things a lot, e.g knowing about the mixolydian mode explains the notes Jimmy Page and Slash add to the pentatonic in solos, but it's not essentital.
Last edited by electricwhiteboy on Nov 06, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#391  Postby Animavore » Nov 06, 2018 1:20 pm

I'm feeling like I'm coming along better than I ever did when I was younger and I think the main difference is that when I was younger I just wanted to be able to pick up a guitar and shred and was disappointed and frustrated at how hard it was. Like a lot of young people I had dreams of being a rock star, but like far too many people I didn't want to put the work in.

Now I'm just playing for me and being a rock star is so far removed from my current ambitions.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#392  Postby electricwhiteboy » Nov 06, 2018 5:20 pm

Double post.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#393  Postby Adco » Nov 07, 2018 8:01 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXelLY7YQhA
I use this for jamming at home and just for practise. There is a heap of these backing tracks in a variety of keys, tempos and styles. And some of them are lengthy so you can really get involved!
god must love stupid people - he made so many of them
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#394  Postby Animavore » Nov 07, 2018 4:08 pm

Going through the circle of fourths using scale positions I've realised that, like the do-ray-mi, I've heard this before. Maybe someone was casually playing it in a scene in a movie or TV show, or I've heard someone do it before a music show.

I'm enjoying this jazz guy Tony recommended. He's easy to follow and I seem to always know where he's going with something.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#395  Postby hackenslash » Nov 07, 2018 4:21 pm

Marc is really cool.

BTW, I meant to recommend a book, if I didn't earlier in the thread. It's called The Guitar Handbook, by Ralph Denyer. Lots of good advice, information on how guitars and guitar technology work, and all the things you need to get started.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#396  Postby Animavore » Nov 07, 2018 5:16 pm

electricwhiteboy recommended that too. :cheers:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#397  Postby BWE » Nov 08, 2018 10:25 pm

electricwhiteboy wrote:
BWE wrote:Thanks. I just realized that I didn't say the point of linking that. Although ego is good as a point I suppose. :) My original point though was that that whole tweedly bit in there is all just a blues box (pentatonic scale). There is some attention to what someone earlier called resolving on the dominant chord but in general, if you can understand how the pentatonic relates to a song, you can almost always play along using it.

N.b Post aimed at Ani than rather than yourself

Soloing by ear in the pentatonic whilst the rhythm is chugging along in power chords is about 90% of all classic rock lead, the other 10% is what you add to it. Once you've got the basics it's not long before you can solo by ear. What you do next is up to you. There are the guys who know exactly where they are in the progression, and are chosing specific notes. Other players go completely go by ear, most folk will be a bit of both. Playing an improvised solo is kinda like playing snooker. It's all about positional play, I'm listening to what I'm playing but thinking a couple of shots ahead. "Ok, there's a D Minor 7th coming up, so if I can nudge the melody to this part of the neck I can play this lick over it."

I'm no theory buff but I would advocate anyone knowing the basics if they want to write their own music. If you only ever want to do covers it demystifies things a lot, e.g knowing about the mixolydian mode explains the notes Jimmy Page and Slash add to the pentatonic in solos, but it's not essentital.

Add one thing: flat 5 is an important note if you are doing pentatonic solos
BWE

Print view this post

#398  Postby electricwhiteboy » Nov 09, 2018 2:11 pm

BWE wrote:
Add one thing: flat 5 is an important note if you are doing pentatonic solos

The Blue note, or flat 5, the is probably the most important passing note in rock music. It's also worth pointing out that the pentatonics from the 4th and 5th notes of the scale also work over those chords. E. G You can switch between C F and G pentatonics in a C F G chord progression. But you do need to know where in the progression you are to take the "luck"out of it. It's a good introduction to modal playing.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#399  Postby Animavore » Nov 09, 2018 2:26 pm

One of the parts of Marc's plan is that you practice, starting off, just two songs for 2-4 weeks. As someone who just hops around I thought I'd find this difficult, but now as I play my two selected songs (he suggest two very different songs) and pause to actually listen I can see the benefit. My rendition of Johnny Cash's Hurt needs lots of work on the strumming part (chorus) and Metallica's Sad But True could do without a lot of unwanted backround noise (accidental open strings etc.).

Speaking of which - why did know one tell me about noise gates?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#400  Postby felltoearth » Nov 09, 2018 3:17 pm

Animavore wrote:

Speaking of which - why did know one tell me about noise gates?

"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Music