The Infinite Monkey Cage

On BBC Radio 4 FM

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

The Infinite Monkey Cage

#1  Postby james1v » Jun 27, 2011 3:56 pm

Its on now. Brian Cox and Robin Ince, accompanied by Billy Brag, Shappi Khorsandi, Graham Coxon and Prof. Tony Ryan.

Live from Glastonbury.

Does anyone else listen to this program? I love it. :thumbup:

If you miss it, you probably can listen on BBC iplayer. :)
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: The Infinite Monkey Cage

#2  Postby rJD » Jun 27, 2011 3:57 pm

They podcast it, too. Good stuff.
I was "jd" in RDF, and am still in Rationalia.com

"Wooberish" - a neologism for woo expressed in gibberish, spread the "meme".

rJD
RS Donator

Name: John
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3  Postby james1v » Jun 27, 2011 4:00 pm

rJD wrote:They podcast it, too. Good stuff.

:thumbup:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Uberuce » Jun 28, 2011 7:24 am

I particularly liked Tony Ryan's rebuttal of Billy Bragg's complaint that dark energy/matter was a faith or belief based idea that scientist were asking us to believe in, same as religion. He calmly pointed out that the discrepency between the theory and the obsevation meant that either we need to find a better theory, which is happening, or we need to find the missing matter, which is happening.
Uberuce

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#5  Postby quisquose » Jun 28, 2011 3:22 pm

Uberuce wrote:I particularly liked Tony Ryan's rebuttal of Billy Bragg's complaint that dark energy/matter was a faith or belief based idea that scientist were asking us to believe in, same as religion. He calmly pointed out that the discrepency between the theory and the obsevation meant that either we need to find a better theory, which is happening, or we need to find the missing matter, which is happening.

My opinion of Billy Bragg was always pretty neutral, but after listening to his nonsense on this show yesterday I now regard him as a plonker.

Actually, this is a favourite show of mine and having him as a guest on this episode spoilt it for me somewhat. Shappi Khorsandi was nearly as bad with her 12 steps nonsense. In fact both of them pissed me off by saying I was just as bad as the extremist religious fundamentalists.

:roll:
quisquose
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby james1v » Jun 28, 2011 4:15 pm

quisquose wrote:
Uberuce wrote:I particularly liked Tony Ryan's rebuttal of Billy Bragg's complaint that dark energy/matter was a faith or belief based idea that scientist were asking us to believe in, same as religion. He calmly pointed out that the discrepency between the theory and the obsevation meant that either we need to find a better theory, which is happening, or we need to find the missing matter, which is happening.

My opinion of Billy Bragg was always pretty neutral, but after listening to his nonsense on this show yesterday I now regard him as a plonker.

Actually, this is a favourite show of mine and having him as a guest on this episode spoilt it for me somewhat. Shappi Khorsandi was nearly as bad with her 12 steps nonsense. In fact both of them pissed me off by saying I was just as bad as the extremist religious fundamentalists.

:roll:

Yeah, Billy Boy made a right tit of himself. ;)
james1v

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Uberuce » Jun 28, 2011 6:04 pm

Ryan's comment gives rise to such a nice general rebuttal:

Woo/Fundie/Other Person: Science asks us to believe that [counter-intuitive thing] is true, but you can't see it or touch it. It's a belief system.

Science Person: Well, to be fair it also asks you to believe that the theory that made that prediction is untrue, and if you learn just how well that theory has predicted or agreed with a whole bundle of things that your existence depends on, you might have trouble deciding. But the decision is yours, so do try to make it an informed one.
Uberuce

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby james1v » Jun 28, 2011 6:17 pm

Uberuce wrote:Ryan's comment gives rise to such a nice general rebuttal:

Woo/Fundie/Other Person: Science asks us to believe that [counter-intuitive thing] is true, but you can't see it or touch it. It's a belief system.

Science Person: Well, to be fair it also asks you to believe that the theory that made that prediction is untrue, and if you learn just how well that theory has predicted or agreed with a whole bundle of things that your existence depends on, you might have trouble deciding. But the decision is yours, so do try to make it an informed one.

:thumbup:
james1v

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

The Infinite Monkey Cage

#9  Postby Precambrian Rabbi » Jun 30, 2011 9:58 pm

A chance to show off my fantastic photographic skills. Hurrah!!

(Brian is the slightly sexier bump of light on the left and Robin the slightly funnier looking bump on the right)

Was impressed by the amount of people and atmosphere that made it there on a muddy lunchtime though. Billy Bragg was a cock - gave us a chance to sneak out whilst he was doing his song at the end though. Which was nice. :)
"...religion may attract good people but it doesn't produce them. And it draws in a lot of hateful nutjobs too..." AronRa
Precambrian Rabbi

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby james1v » Jul 01, 2011 12:40 am

Precambrian Rabbi wrote:A chance to show off my fantastic photographic skills. Hurrah!!

(Brian is the slightly sexier bump of light on the left and Robin the slightly funnier looking bump on the right)

Was impressed by the amount of people and atmosphere that made it there on a muddy lunchtime though. Billy Bragg was a cock - gave us a chance to sneak out whilst he was doing his song at the end though. Which was nice. :)

;) :grin:
james1v

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby rJD » Jul 01, 2011 7:52 am

I quite like Billy Bragg, generally, but he came across really badly there - ill informed and belligerent about it, not a good combination.

rJD
RS Donator

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12  Postby quisquose » Jul 01, 2011 11:07 am

rJD wrote:I quite like Billy Bragg, generally, but he came across really badly there - ill informed and belligerent about it, not a good combination.

I didn't think Shappi Khorsandi came across much better. This was disappointing because she was always marked down as playing for 'our side'.

12 steps nonsense indeed. :nono:
quisquose
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby rJD » Jul 01, 2011 12:00 pm

quisquose wrote:
rJD wrote:I quite like Billy Bragg, generally, but he came across really badly there - ill informed and belligerent about it, not a good combination.

I didn't think Shappi Khorsandi came across much better. This was disappointing because she was always marked down as playing for 'our side'.

12 steps nonsense indeed. :nono:

Indeed - the only thing that made her contribution less annoying than Bragg's was that she was less aggressive. I wonder if he'd been drinking? :ask:

rJD
RS Donator

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

The Infinite Monkey Cage

#14  Postby ramseyoptom » Nov 20, 2011 9:07 pm

From tomorrow series 5 of The Infinite Monkey Cage, with Brian Cox and Robin Ince, starts at 16:30 GMT. More scientific fun and frolics.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one.
George Bernard Shaw
ramseyoptom

Name: Ian
Male

Isle of Man (im)
Print view this post

Return to The Arts & Entertainment