The Rings of Power gets funny

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The Rings of Power gets funny

#281  Postby Azaghal » Nov 09, 2022 2:38 am

Spearthrower wrote:
Azaghal wrote:But I'm sure you could tell me a LOT about avoiding echo chambers, huh? If so, go into detail. Where are these non-echo chambers you frequent? Oh, right.


ยินดีต้อนรับสู่ประเทศไทย ขอให้เป็นวันที่ดี

Oh right. Yeah. Oh right.


That's lovely. Do these people regularly challenge your most closely held beliefs?

Spearthrower wrote:I've cited the Nielson numbers here over and over, so you can't just lie about them.

The Nielson rankings show 988 million minutes of viewing - you have to address this fact, as fact it remains.


Well, "Nielsen", but the initial, apparently strong showing is not going to save this series either way. It's already declined exponentially and season 2 isn't looking like a dramatic reversal.

Spearthrower wrote:While I have loved Tolkien's work all my life


So much so that you just say "the books" rather than trying to look for any actual support for your claims about said works. When I first watched the Hobbit movies I thought, "wait a second, did Thórin really become an itinerant craftsman after the fall of Erebor?" and in fact he settled in the Blue Mountains. Because I would pay attention to said details like any real fan. That Peter Jackson and the writers deviated from the original, at least in this instance, is understandable but, in any case, your claim to have loved Tolkien's works your whole life is SUS.
User avatar
Azaghal
Banned Sockpuppet
 
Posts: 157
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: The Rings of Power gets funny

#282  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 09, 2022 3:09 am

Azaghal wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
Azaghal wrote:But I'm sure you could tell me a LOT about avoiding echo chambers, huh? If so, go into detail. Where are these non-echo chambers you frequent? Oh, right.


ยินดีต้อนรับสู่ประเทศไทย ขอให้เป็นวันที่ดี

Oh right. Yeah. Oh right.


That's lovely. Do these people regularly challenge your most closely held beliefs?


These people being... the 70 million plus people of Thailand?

Do you have any idea how clownish you sound?

At what point do you pull your neck in and stop acting like a fuckwit?

Just because I think you're talking a load of shit and are motivated by angsty hostility, doesn't mean I am living in an echo chamber. The reality is that I've spent my life living in completely different cultures all round the world, which is what people seeking comforting conformity do... amirite?



Azaghal wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:I've cited the Nielson numbers here over and over, so you can't just lie about them.

The Nielson rankings show 988 million minutes of viewing - you have to address this fact, as fact it remains.


Well, "Nielsen", but the initial, apparently strong showing is not going to save this series either way. It's already declined exponentially and season 2 isn't looking like a dramatic reversal.


It's declined EXPONENTIALLY now... wow, you love making up shit on the fly dontcha? :lol:

Yeah, your bullshit's exposed - you have no good reason to declare RoP 'bombing' - you're motivated by feelies rather than facts.



Azaghal wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:While I have loved Tolkien's work all my life


So much so that you just say "the books" rather than trying to look for any actual support for your claims about said works.


Are you still trying to pull this asinine theatre? You clown, you utter clown.


Azaghal wrote: When I first watched the Hobbit movies I thought, "wait a second, did Thórin really become an itinerant craftsman after the fall of Erebor?" and in fact he settled in the Blue Mountains. Because I would pay attention to said details like any real fan. That Peter Jackson and the writers deviated from the original, at least in this instance, is understandable but, in any case, your claim to have loved Tolkien's works your whole life is SUS.


Sus to you, a chap who just strolled up to be an utter asshat to everyone, and consequently whose hot takes are just lukewarm shit.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 32492
Age: 46
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: The Rings of Power gets funny

#283  Postby Azaghal » Nov 09, 2022 3:40 am

Spearthrower wrote:Just because I think you're talking a load of shit and are motivated by angsty hostility, doesn't mean I am living in an echo chamber. The reality is that I've spent my life living in completely different cultures all round the world, which is what people seeking comforting conformity do... amirite?


Perhaps ironically, such people have often been some of the most conformist people I've ever met. I don't believe in "when in Rome"; I believe in what I deem correct. I literally changed my legal name to where my middle name is the surname of a famous Persian scholar but I did that not because he was foreign and strange to an AmeriKKKan like me but because he contributed greatly to the totality of all human knowledge, ethnicity not mattering one bit.

Spearthrower wrote:It's declined EXPONENTIALLY now... wow, you love making up shit on the fly dontcha? :lol:


Correct, "exponential" time series happen when one multiplies more or less the same term over and over again, such that a geometric increase or decline occurs. And that, in the latter case, is what Dave from the pub your own precious Nielsen numbers tell us about RoP only one season in. In addition to being creepily obsessed with my penis and what I do with it, you are also innumerate. Anything else?
User avatar
Azaghal
Banned Sockpuppet
 
Posts: 157
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: The Rings of Power gets funny

#284  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 09, 2022 4:30 am

Azaghal wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:Just because I think you're talking a load of shit and are motivated by angsty hostility, doesn't mean I am living in an echo chamber. The reality is that I've spent my life living in completely different cultures all round the world, which is what people seeking comforting conformity do... amirite?


Perhaps ironically, such people have often been some of the most conformist people I've ever met.


Because inductive fallacy.


Azaghal wrote:I don't believe in "when in Rome"; I believe in what I deem correct.


Do you?


Azaghal wrote: I literally changed my legal name to where my middle name is the surname of a famous Persian scholar but I did that not because he was foreign and strange to an AmeriKKKan like me but because he contributed greatly to the totality of all human knowledge, ethnicity not mattering one bit.


That's nice, but you didn't mention the price of fish.


Azaghal wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:It's declined EXPONENTIALLY now... wow, you love making up shit on the fly dontcha? :lol:


Correct, "exponential" time series happen when one multiplies more or less the same term over and over again, such that a geometric increase or decline occurs. And that, in the latter case, is what Dave from the pub your own precious Nielsen numbers tell us about RoP only one season in. In addition to being creepily obsessed with my penis and what I do with it, you are also innumerate. Anything else?


And your evidence for this claim seems to have been forgotten while you launched into more distraction.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 32492
Age: 46
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: The Rings of Power gets funny

#285  Postby Azaghal » Nov 09, 2022 4:38 am

Spearthrower wrote:Because inductive fallacy.


We're now hitting the level of pseudo-intellectualism where an inevitable fact of life is a damnable fallacy.

Spearthrower wrote:And your evidence for this claim seems to have been forgotten while you launched into more distraction.


No, your beloved Nielsen numbers said that the viewership of RoP dropped, and dropped again, and dropped yet more, in such a way that each next stage was a multiple of the one before. That's an exponential decline as stated.
User avatar
Azaghal
Banned Sockpuppet
 
Posts: 157
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: The Rings of Power gets funny

#286  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 09, 2022 4:49 am

Azaghal wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:Because inductive fallacy.


We're now hitting the level of pseudo-intellectualism where an inevitable fact of life is a damnable fallacy.


An inevitable fact of life that one must be aware of so as not to fall down one's own navel.

For all I know, the "people" you refer to in your little launch into nonsense to distract from your last nonsensical statement amounts to 2 individuals, and of course, there's no logical or substantive reason to connect them to me.

Perhaps ironically, such people have often been some of the most conformist people I've ever met.


Maybe, for example, those 'people' were missionaries.

I can't really answer to a stupid argument of nonsensical induction... all it amounts to is you saying 'here's the limit of my experience, so you must conform to it' - no, chap, no.

Rather, your silly attempt at declaring me sentimentally attached to a political position such that I surround myself with like-minded people clearly fails to address the fact that I have lived the majority of my life surrounded by people quite significantly unlike myself.

But again, what are facts really to you? They're just inconveniences to the fundamentalist narrative, aren't they?


Azaghal wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:And your evidence for this claim seems to have been forgotten while you launched into more distraction.


No, your beloved Nielsen numbers said that the viewership of RoP dropped, and dropped again, and dropped yet more, in such a way that each next stage was a multiple of the one before. That's an exponential decline as stated.


My 'beloved' numbers, otherwise known throughout the industry as a credible source (you appear to be unsure whether you want them to be acknowledged as credible or not, depending on which side of your mouth you're speaking from) clearly show that RoP is the 3rd watched streamed series, and you continue to fail to address this objective fact while continuing to assert the contrary is true despite having nothing at all to support it.
Last edited by Spearthrower on Nov 09, 2022 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 32492
Age: 46
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: The Rings of Power gets funny

#287  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 09, 2022 4:52 am

Now who else is it that was highly concerned with what a terrible echo-chamber this site is?

Hmmmmmmm :)


I mean, were I to join such a site and realize I am surrounded by such close-minded people, I think I would probably then choose not to be there, you know, by not continuing to engage with them.

However, were I a person with a hostile fundamentalist political persuasion that caused me to seek out confrontation with people perceived to be of political polarity to me, then perhaps I'd want to stay.... because that would have been why I came in the first place. Such a person might even not bother with or care about what other people actually believe, but instead tell them what they believe, repeatedly construct positions for them, just to have that confrontation they desire regardless of the legitimacy or logical coherence of it.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 32492
Age: 46
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: The Rings of Power gets funny

#288  Postby Azaghal » Nov 09, 2022 5:07 am

Spearthrower wrote:
Perhaps ironically, such people have often been some of the most conformist people I've ever met.


Maybe, for example, those 'people' were missionaries.


The (figuratively and literally) biggest one I ever encountered was a guy who was initially impressed with my knowledge of South and Southeast Asia but eventually became very irate about the fact that I didn't want to spend my college years using drugs with reckless abandon and sleeping with all sorts of random young women, especially his favorite sorts.

He alleged to be a Buddhist, claiming that Buddhism is really just about empirical psychology rather than any sort of metaphysical point of view beyond any of that, which is already debatable, but, in any case, I was under the impression that Buddhism is about detachment from the world rather than desperately clinging to whatever it has to offer.

He eventually died of being a completely corpulent obese hambone, long before his number should have ever been up.

To this day, I chuckle about how he used to respond to criticisms of things like mobile execution vans in China by blubbering "w-well, at least they take care of their own!" Yeah, OK ... debatable. Yellow fever: don't let it get the best of you!
User avatar
Azaghal
Banned Sockpuppet
 
Posts: 157
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: The Rings of Power gets funny

#289  Postby Azaghal » Nov 09, 2022 5:09 am

Oh and by the way—forgive me for not getting to the point immediately—he was a massive conformist despite claiming to have a truly freed mind like you'd expect from someone who went to UCB and ended up completely up their own ass while there
User avatar
Azaghal
Banned Sockpuppet
 
Posts: 157
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: The Rings of Power gets funny

#290  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 09, 2022 5:50 am

Azaghal wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
Perhaps ironically, such people have often been some of the most conformist people I've ever met.


Maybe, for example, those 'people' were missionaries.


The (figuratively and literally) biggest one I ever encountered was a guy who was initially impressed with my knowledge of South and Southeast Asia but eventually became very irate about the fact that I didn't want to spend my college years using drugs with reckless abandon and sleeping with all sorts of random young women, especially his favorite sorts.

He alleged to be a Buddhist, claiming that Buddhism is really just about empirical psychology rather than any sort of metaphysical point of view beyond any of that, which is already debatable, but, in any case, I was under the impression that Buddhism is about detachment from the world rather than desperately clinging to whatever it has to offer.

He eventually died of being a completely corpulent obese hambone, long before his number should have ever been up.

To this day, I chuckle about how he used to respond to criticisms of things like mobile execution vans in China by blubbering "w-well, at least they take care of their own!" Yeah, OK ... debatable. Yellow fever: don't let it get the best of you!



So your inductive fallacy is based on one individual?

That's a nice story - remind me what it's got to do with me.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 32492
Age: 46
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: The Rings of Power gets funny

#291  Postby Azaghal » Nov 09, 2022 5:57 am

Spearthrower wrote:So your inductive fallacy is based on one individual?


In this particular instance, yeah, but I've noticed many others like him.

What was your comment regarding "missionaries" based on exactly and how long will it take me to do anything like going nose-to-nose with you while using a package like SageMath?
User avatar
Azaghal
Banned Sockpuppet
 
Posts: 157
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: The Rings of Power gets funny

#292  Postby Azaghal » Nov 09, 2022 6:02 am

Let me guess: you try to fool others about your intellect with up-your-own-ass phrases like "endogenously idiotic" and demand machine-like precision from anyone who contests whatever it is you have to say. Meanwhile you have absolutely zero clue about how statistics and machine learning are actually implemented on computers and have equally zero interest in ever learning said truth.
User avatar
Azaghal
Banned Sockpuppet
 
Posts: 157
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: The Rings of Power gets funny

#293  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 09, 2022 6:07 am

Azaghal wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:So your inductive fallacy is based on one individual?


In this particular instance, yeah, but I've noticed many others like him.


The plural of 'anecdote' being 'data'.

Well, I've met thousands of ex-pats over the years, and couldn't even begin to categorize them all as being one thing, but then I'm not a small-minded numpty, so there is that.


Azaghal wrote:What was your comment regarding "missionaries" based on exactly and how long will it take me to do anything like going nose-to-nose with you while using a package like SageMath?


Presumably, missionaries seeking to spread their particular organized religious narrative would be conformist to that narrative. It was an example I could consider as suiting your sweeping declaration that you extracted from your navel.

As for the remainder, you are again gibbering nonsense at me and expecting me to somehow find meaning in it.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 32492
Age: 46
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: The Rings of Power gets funny

#294  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 09, 2022 6:09 am

Azaghal wrote:Let me guess: you try to fool others about your intellect with up-your-own-ass phrases like "endogenously idiotic" and demand machine-like precision from anyone who contests whatever it is you have to say. Meanwhile you have absolutely zero clue about how statistics and machine learning are actually implemented on computers and have equally zero interest in ever learning said truth.


Are we playing Guess Who?

Given how many times you've told me what I supposedly believe, what exactly is my response meant to look like? Haven't you already set yourself up as the solitary truth-giver, even of other peoples' positions?

It's all theatre, isn't it chap?

Now you need to consider why anyone would be more interested in discussing anything of merit with you than they would of having a wrestling match with a dog on heat.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 32492
Age: 46
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: The Rings of Power gets funny

#295  Postby Azaghal » Nov 09, 2022 6:40 am

Spearthrower wrote:Given how many times you've told me what I supposedly believe, what exactly is my response meant to look like?


It's supposed to look like dumb comments about my cock and calling me out for supposed excessive reliance on supposed wild rampant induction when you have zero problems with the like.

In any real sort of machine vs. machine contest where these sorts of assumptions really get tried, you'd get smoked.
User avatar
Azaghal
Banned Sockpuppet
 
Posts: 157
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: The Rings of Power gets funny

#296  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 09, 2022 6:59 am

Azaghal wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:Given how many times you've told me what I supposedly believe, what exactly is my response meant to look like?


It's supposed to look like dumb comments about my cock...


As explained already: your actions are provoking the comments, cease the actions and the comments about those actions will cease. You don't like this form of comment, I don't like watching you rub yourself off, nor do I like being obliged to participate it in at a rub-ee, so stop doing it and the comments will stop. Of course, there's been no comment at all about this for pages, but you keep bringing it back up!


Azaghal wrote:... and calling me out for supposed excessive reliance on supposed wild rampant induction when you have zero problems with the like.


Non-sequitur.

Expressing dislike of your obnoxious public behavior has no relevance whatsoever on disagreeing on the grounds that you are committing a fallacy. I can easily do both, as I have.


Azaghal wrote:In any real sort of machine vs. machine contest where these sorts of assumptions really get tried, you'd get smoked.


Otherwise known as 'I declare myself winner!' which is when people start talking about you rubbing yourself off in public. :)
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 32492
Age: 46
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: The Rings of Power gets funny

#297  Postby Cito di Pense » Nov 09, 2022 8:39 am

Azaghal wrote:you'd get smoked.


As opposed, say, to how badly a banned sockpuppet would get smoked.
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Nov 09, 2022 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
User avatar
Cito di Pense
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Posts: 30368
Age: 25
Male

Country: Nutbush City Limits
Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

Re: The Rings of Power gets funny

#298  Postby THWOTH » Nov 09, 2022 8:40 am

Azaghal wrote: I literally changed my legal name to where my middle name is the surname of a famous Persian scholar but I did that not because he was foreign and strange to an AmeriKKKan like me ...

Why do you self-identify as a Klansmen?
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
User avatar
THWOTH
RS Donator
 
Posts: 37391
Age: 57

Country: Untied Kingdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: The Rings of Power gets funny

#299  Postby Cito di Pense » Nov 09, 2022 8:43 am

THWOTH wrote:
Azaghal wrote: I literally changed my legal name to where my middle name is the surname of a famous Persian scholar but I did that not because he was foreign and strange to an AmeriKKKan like me ...

Why do you self-identify as a Klansmen?


Nothing to lose, I guess. At least, not at this point.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
User avatar
Cito di Pense
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Posts: 30368
Age: 25
Male

Country: Nutbush City Limits
Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

Re: The Rings of Power gets funny

#300  Postby Matt_B » Nov 09, 2022 8:53 pm

If anyone's still wondering how the series was going in terms of audience, I'd think that the surest indicator is that they're already shooting the second season.

That ought to at least answer the question to those who believe Amazon's primary goal is making money rather than just flipping the bird at racists.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
User avatar
Matt_B
 
Posts: 4834
Male

Country: Australia
Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to The Arts & Entertainment

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest