The Rings of Power gets funny

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

The Rings of Power gets funny

#1  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 07, 2022 6:37 am

It's no secret that there's a growing backlash against Amazon's spinoff of Tolkien, but it needs a sense of humour like this, with Charlie Hopkinson's creditable impressions of your favorite Middle Earth personages:

Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

Re: The Rings of Power gets funny

#2  Postby Papa Smurf » Oct 07, 2022 10:25 am

Well, I for one am not even going to bother watching this as I'm not interested in seeing them butcher Tolkien's work. I have read just about everything there is to read from him, including all 12 volumes of The History of Middle Earth.

This quote from executive producer Lindsey Weber says it all: "

“It felt only natural to us that an adaptation of Tolkien’s work would reflect what the world actually looks like,"

It's effin fantasy. Escapism if you will. It's decidedly NOT meant to reflect the real world, the one that we live in. If you believe that you don't understand fantasy. I don't need to have current day political issues stuffed down my threat while watching a fantasy flick. It takes me out of the movie and interferes seriously with suspense of disbelief. No thank you, not wasting my time on that one.
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Matt_B » Oct 08, 2022 9:49 am

They ran out of books to adapt so they started on the footnotes.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Animavore » Oct 10, 2022 7:08 am

I've been watching this show. It's not bad, not great. There's no modern day politics in it I'm not sure where that comes from. Except for maybe people who think the inclusion of non-whites is political. It's not to me and they don't seem "out of place" at all.

It's been interesting watching racist, dip-shit, alt-right, rage-baiting, hate merchants have a meltdown on this show since before anyone had ever seen it and the subsequent doubling-down on the show since its release with the harshest and most ridiculous of nit-picks because after investing so much effort into predicting its failure they can't be seen to be giving it even the most modest of fair chances without losing face (and just look at all the comments on Nerd of the Rings YouTube videos calling him a traitor and sell out for doing just that).

Thankfully a lot of them have moved on to wailing about a black mermaid in The Little Mermaid (It was She-Hulk the month before) and the nastiness has died down a bit on Reddit.

The show has some potential and this might turn to just be one of many shows with a shaky first season while they find their footing if the show runners figure out what works and what doesn't.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Animavore » Oct 10, 2022 7:10 am

Matt_B wrote:They ran out of books to adapt so they started on the footnotes.

It's not that they ran out of books, it's what Amazon could get the rights to. Pretty much the LOTR appendices.

Not sure why they couldn't get The Simarillion.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6  Postby campermon » Oct 10, 2022 7:26 pm

I think it’s bostin!

It’s switching kids on to LOTR.

:beer:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Animavore » Oct 10, 2022 8:31 pm

Yeah I believe the books and movies are trending on Amazon.com.

And, in fact, I'm now reading the books for the first time since a teen.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Matt_B » Oct 10, 2022 9:48 pm

Animavore wrote:
Matt_B wrote:They ran out of books to adapt so they started on the footnotes.

It's not that they ran out of books, it's what Amazon could get the rights to. Pretty much the LOTR appendices.

Not sure why they couldn't get The Simarillion.

They couldn't get The Silmarillion because Christopher Tolkien wasn't selling it. Indeed, none of the works he compiled after his father's death were made available. He openly voiced his distaste for all the films based on The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, but couldn't really do anything about them because rights had already been sold while JRR was still alive.

With the Tolkien estate now in the hands of his son Simon, it's possible that things might change; he's certainly more amenable to adaptions and even worked as a consultant on the new series. However, he's made no indication that he would go against his father's wishes, so don't get your hopes up.

In any case, The Lord of the Rings remains far and away the more valuable property, albeit probably more thanks to Peter Jackson than anyone else these days.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Papa Smurf » Oct 11, 2022 1:54 pm

Animavore wrote:I've been watching this show. It's not bad, not great. There's no modern day politics in it I'm not sure where that comes from. Except for maybe people who think the inclusion of non-whites is political. It's not to me and they don't seem "out of place" at all.

Have you seen the 'superfan' video they put out? I cannot even count how many times these so called superfans felt it necessary to stress how diverse and inclusive the show was. It's clearly political and they so desperately wanted the show to be inclusive and diverse (which in itself I'm all for) that they forgot to think about how to do it and where it makes sense and where not. Instead, they just had to have white and black elves, white and black harfoots, white and black humans and white and black dwarves. This was clearly politically motivated.

Since this is supposed to be a prequel to LOTR, it should strive to have some continuity. What happened to the black harfoots and all others. Was there harfocide and dwarfocide? Elfocide?

As for dwarves, it does not make any sense for there to be black dwarves (or at least for there to be white and black dwarves). Yes this is fantasy so in principal anything is possible but even with fantasy there should be some sort of logic to things. The 7 fathers of the dwarves were made by the Valar Aule who grew impatient and did not want to wait for the appearance of the children of Illuvatar (elves and humans, the firstborn and the aftercomers). So he made surrogates, however they did not possess real conscience. But Illuvatar had pity with Aule and breathed true life into his creations but they were laid to rest until after the coming ofIlluvatar's children. The thing is, dwarves live underground almost their entire life. It therefore does not make sense to me that they would have or develop melanin concentrations to cause dark skin. Regardless, it would have been better to have just dark skinned dwarves. A mix of the two does not make any sense. This was clearly politically motivated and every time I see a dark skinned dwarf I'm reminded of that and it takes me out of the moment.

Keep in mind also that Tolkien's mythology deals with a relatively young Arda (earth) and the timespan of the first, second and third age is measured in thousands of years, not millions. The creatures that inhabit Arda are pretty much created from nothing by Illuvatar as they were. As such evolution is hardly a factor. The inhabitants of Arda in the first, second and third age have the skin color that Illuvator (or Aule in the case of the dwarves) created them with.

There is definitely mention of dark skinned humans in Tolkien's work (although they don't play any role of significance in his writings), they inhabited the south which makes sense. They could have introduced dark skinned humans that way and that would have been perfectly fine with me. Using what's there in the source material and expand upon certain aspects of it is fair game imo.

Apart from skin color, Galadriel has been turned into this sort of typical mega uber woman warrior type that Hollywood is so fond of these days. Their idea of an empowered woman apparently is someone who has never had to struggle, is just awesome at everything from birth, invincible and often totally insufferable. Their portrayal of these empowered women is as asshole men who happen to have a vagina instead of a dick. What's up with that? There have been plenty of strong female lead characters in film history. Just as there have been plenty of excellent black lead characters. Gender or skin color of the actor is by itself not the issue.

They could have made the show diverse and inclusive without fucking over Tolkien's legacy. The way they have done it I am constantly reminded of how diverse and inclusive and modern day it wants to appear, it comes across as entirely forced.

As for source material, there is an abundance of it with some great tales, but as mentioned Amazon did not have the rights to that. You could easily base 10 seasons on the existing source material. Instead they just took the name and characters and went their own way, wanting to cash in on the brand. If they had made an original show which is not based on Tolkien's work I might have given it a chance but I'm not going to let them destroy the world of Tolkien that exists in my head. Just like I'm not going to watch Star Wars 7-9 for very much the same reason. Parts 1-3 were bad enough already.

If you enjoy the show good for you but I'm not going to watch anymore of it than I've already seen.
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Animavore » Oct 11, 2022 2:39 pm

All I heard was blah, blah, blah.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Papa Smurf » Oct 11, 2022 4:16 pm

Yeah, I figured you would say something like that. Please proceed to wallow in your self-righteousness, not going to waste anymore of my time on you either.
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Animavore » Oct 11, 2022 4:27 pm

Lol. Nothing to do with self-righteousness.

You haven't watched it by your own admission yet you talk shit about it and expect people who have actually seen it to take your tiresomely unoriginal opinion clearly lifted straight from YouTube seriously.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Greg the Grouper » Oct 11, 2022 4:40 pm

I dunno why melanin would be such a crucial factor concerning the skin tone of dwarves if we're already on board with the idea that the denizens of this realm were just sort of sculped that way.
The evolution of intelligence has gone beyond the restrains of biological individual generations.
Greg the Grouper

Name: Patrick

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Evolving » Oct 11, 2022 4:49 pm

Dark skin would be evolutionarily advantageous for creatures who live underground, n'est-ce pas?
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Animavore » Oct 11, 2022 4:50 pm

Greg the Grouper wrote:I dunno why melanin would be such a crucial factor concerning the skin tone of dwarves if we're already on board with the idea that the denizens of this realm were just sort of sculped that way.

I know, right?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Animavore » Oct 11, 2022 4:52 pm

Evolving wrote:Dark skin would be evolutionarily advantageous for creatures who live underground, n'est-ce pas?

The dwarves are actually the best thing in the show. They don't get enough screen time.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Papa Smurf » Oct 11, 2022 5:57 pm

Animavore wrote:your tiresomely unoriginal opinion clearly lifted straight from YouTube seriously.

What I said about it making no sense to have dwarves with dark skin are entirely my own thoughts, haven't read or heard about that anywhere (that's not to say that nobody else has mentioned this, it's just that I haven't come accross it). Try again (EDIT: and address the actual argument I made).

And if you haven't noticed the pattern wrt strong female lead characters in movies you have not been paying attention. I'm sure I'm not the only one to have noticed this so I would expect this to be mentioned by others. I'm not a casual movie watcher, I watch a lot of movies. Like really a lot. Have been doing so for a long time. I don't depend on critics or YouTube or whatever to form my opinion on movies. But somestimes, just sometimes, a few trailers is all it takes. If I didn't feel so strongly about Tolkien's work I would not be making such a fuss about this. I wasn't even sure I wanted to see Peter Jackson's take on LOTR but I took a chance and have to say it was a pretty good attempt. He very much tried to stay close to the source material and I understand why he deviated in some places. Some things simply don't translate to the screen.

You are free to disregard anything I say of course but you should at least recognize that there is a political motivation behind having black and white 'versions' of all sentient creatures in the show (not sure if there are black and white orcs; how about trolls and dragons?), whether it makes sense or not (as in the case of the dwarves). Same with the 'strong woman' trope.
Last edited by Papa Smurf on Oct 11, 2022 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Papa Smurf » Oct 11, 2022 6:01 pm

Evolving wrote:Dark skin would be evolutionarily advantageous for creatures who live underground, n'est-ce pas?

Why? As far as I know cave dwelling creatures' skins are usually white or translucent in the real world. Without some sort of explanation I would expect the same thing to be true on Arda. Dark skin is an evolutional response to exposure of bare skin to sunlight, is it not?
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Papa Smurf » Oct 11, 2022 6:02 pm

Greg the Grouper wrote:I dunno why melanin would be such a crucial factor concerning the skin tone of dwarves if we're already on board with the idea that the denizens of this realm were just sort of sculped that way.

Did you even read my post?
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Papa Smurf » Oct 11, 2022 6:10 pm

Well, I'm off to see the next episode of HotD. Which is actually very much failing to grab me like GoT did in the first season but that's another topic I guess. Not sure if I'll keep watching it.
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

Next

Return to The Arts & Entertainment