The Stephen King Thread

Discuss books here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The Stephen King Thread

#361  Postby aliihsanasl » Jan 13, 2018 2:19 am

The_Metatron wrote:When I was young, The Stand was my favorite of his books.

I also deeply enjoyed The Green Mile. I read that as a serial, it’s original release. Five bucks a book. You end up paying twice what a book the same size as the five book series would have cost if it had been bound as a single book. The marketing brilliance of the serial format was that there was no fucking way a Stephen King reader is going to buy two of those books, and fail to buy the remaining three.


Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk.


Exactly as far as I remember "The Green Mile" was the first with such a marketing and strangely for me it was the end of his bright age I never felt the same way for the novels came after that maybe its because my uni education get in the way and I stopped for a long time and expectation changed but I still enjoy the novels of 80s and 90s.

Something change with the 2000s but to this day I still cant understand. 22/11/63, Under the Dome (which he a few times said his favorite work of all times if Im not mistaken), Black House, Dreamcatcher, Mr. Mercedes, Cell, Revival, Desperation non of these books have half the taste of The Mist, Misery, The Body, The Shining any many others.
"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
User avatar
aliihsanasl
 
Posts: 4587
Age: 38
Male

Country: Turkey
Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: The Stephen King Thread

#362  Postby Mike_L » Jan 13, 2018 8:20 am

aliihsanasl wrote:
Mike_L wrote:


That movie was amazing, as I watch it never get bored till the last minute it get better and better.

Solar eclipse and sexual abuse to daughter remind me Dolores Claiborne.

:thumbup: Yes, that was intended to be. The connection between Dolores and Jessie (they have visions of each other) was in the two books, which were released in the same year (1992). Nice to see it carried over to the movie as well. :nod:

The ‘Gerald’s Game’ Movie Preserves the Novel’s Mysterious Connection to the Stephen King Universe
User avatar
Mike_L
 
Posts: 12348
Age: 49
Male

Country: South Africa
Print view this post

Re: The Stephen King Thread

#363  Postby Fallible » Jan 13, 2018 8:24 am

aliihsanasl wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:When I was young, The Stand was my favorite of his books.

I also deeply enjoyed The Green Mile. I read that as a serial, it’s original release. Five bucks a book. You end up paying twice what a book the same size as the five book series would have cost if it had been bound as a single book. The marketing brilliance of the serial format was that there was no fucking way a Stephen King reader is going to buy two of those books, and fail to buy the remaining three.


Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk.


Exactly as far as I remember "The Green Mile" was the first with such a marketing and strangely for me it was the end of his bright age I never felt the same way for the novels came after that maybe its because my uni education get in the way and I stopped for a long time and expectation changed but I still enjoy the novels of 80s and 90s.

Something change with the 2000s but to this day I still cant understand. 22/11/63, Under the Dome (which he a few times said his favorite work of all times if Im not mistaken), Black House, Dreamcatcher, Mr. Mercedes, Cell, Revival, Desperation non of these books have half the taste of The Mist, Misery, The Body, The Shining any many others.


They're different books, sure, but I actually find many of them to be among his best. Since his accident, his writing, which was always excellent, has acquired a kind of more rounded and often even stranger edge. I find books like Christine and Kujo , for example, quite one-dimensional. They're still good books because they're Stephen King, but to me they're not much more than that. My current favourite is one of his newer books - Lisey's Story . That book has such a disturbing yet immersive quality to it. I almost found it unbearable a times.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 44557
Age: 44
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: The Stephen King Thread

#364  Postby UncertainSloth » Jan 13, 2018 8:51 am

yup, i;d agree with that...there's a relative lull in the middle, round about the 'desperation' point, but i'd much prefer to return to recent king than earlier...his writing is so much better, varied and intriguing now than it was, even though it's been miles ahead of his peers like koontz, laymon etc anyway....

apart from the stand...i love the stand...

oh, and lisey's story is his current favourite of his books...
Last edited by UncertainSloth on Jan 13, 2018 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Running away, go to it.
Where did you have in mind?
Have to take care.. .unless there's a 'where',
You'll only be wandering blind.
Just more questions... different kind.
Where are we to go? Where are we ever to go?

stephen sondheim
User avatar
UncertainSloth
 
Posts: 2026
Age: 44
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: The Stephen King Thread

#365  Postby Spinozasgalt » Jan 13, 2018 8:54 am

I've been hankering to reread The Dead Zone this past fortnight but I can't remember where I put my copy. First novel I ever bought.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
User avatar
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator
 
Name: Jennifer
Posts: 16662
Age: 30
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: The Stephen King Thread

#366  Postby UncertainSloth » Jan 13, 2018 8:55 am

in fact, as a point of interest, i'd say the pivot wasn;t so much his accident as the aforementioned dolores claiborne/gerald's game year, leading into insomnia and particularly rose madder in the early 90s...that's when he really got interesting...

before that point, i'd go back to the dark tower books, which i want to this year to finish the cycle, the stand and possibly it, though i find the latter a little overrated in his canon anyway...that's all, nothing else interests me
Running away, go to it.
Where did you have in mind?
Have to take care.. .unless there's a 'where',
You'll only be wandering blind.
Just more questions... different kind.
Where are we to go? Where are we ever to go?

stephen sondheim
User avatar
UncertainSloth
 
Posts: 2026
Age: 44
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: The Stephen King Thread

#367  Postby UncertainSloth » Jan 13, 2018 8:59 am

Spinozasgalt wrote:I've been hankering to reread The Dead Zone this past fortnight but I can't remember where I put my copy. First novel I ever bought.


there's a joke in there, sonny, but i can't quite find it...;)
Running away, go to it.
Where did you have in mind?
Have to take care.. .unless there's a 'where',
You'll only be wandering blind.
Just more questions... different kind.
Where are we to go? Where are we ever to go?

stephen sondheim
User avatar
UncertainSloth
 
Posts: 2026
Age: 44
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: The Stephen King Thread

#368  Postby Spinozasgalt » Jan 13, 2018 9:02 am

Well all the pieces are there. Somebody do something with it.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
User avatar
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator
 
Name: Jennifer
Posts: 16662
Age: 30
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: The Stephen King Thread

#369  Postby UncertainSloth » Jan 13, 2018 9:04 am

The_Metatron wrote:When I was young, The Stand was my favorite of his books.

I also deeply enjoyed The Green Mile. I read that as a serial, it’s original release. Five bucks a book. You end up paying twice what a book the same size as the five book series would have cost if it had been bound as a single book. The marketing brilliance of the serial format was that there was no fucking way a Stephen King reader is going to buy two of those books, and fail to buy the remaining three.


Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk.


i loved doing that with the green mile...
Running away, go to it.
Where did you have in mind?
Have to take care.. .unless there's a 'where',
You'll only be wandering blind.
Just more questions... different kind.
Where are we to go? Where are we ever to go?

stephen sondheim
User avatar
UncertainSloth
 
Posts: 2026
Age: 44
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: The Stephen King Thread

#370  Postby Mike_L » Jan 13, 2018 10:11 am

Interesting...

Every Upcoming Stephen King Movie & TV Show Scheduled For Release

Rose Madder is among them. There was a screenplay as far back as 2011, but the project got stalled. Seems now to be back on track.
Also look forward to a movie or TV adaptation of Doctor Sleep, the ho-hum sequel to The Shining.
And Lisey's Story, Joyland and Revival, plus screen versions of many of King's novellas and short stories, including The Long Walk and My Pretty Pony.
User avatar
Mike_L
 
Posts: 12348
Age: 49
Male

Country: South Africa
Print view this post

Re: The Stephen King Thread

#371  Postby UncertainSloth » Jan 13, 2018 11:23 am

ah, fantastic list...many on there i loved...dr sleep is one i havent got round to yet, though fall has read it...
Running away, go to it.
Where did you have in mind?
Have to take care.. .unless there's a 'where',
You'll only be wandering blind.
Just more questions... different kind.
Where are we to go? Where are we ever to go?

stephen sondheim
User avatar
UncertainSloth
 
Posts: 2026
Age: 44
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: The Stephen King Thread

#372  Postby Mike_L » Jan 13, 2018 11:59 am

UncertainSloth wrote:dr sleep

T'was okay, IMO. I found it a bit disappointing because I expected that the adult Danny Torrance would be the main character. Instead, he pretty-much plays second fiddle to a teenage Mary Sue named Abra Stone.
Not a bad follow-up to The Shining, but not great either.
User avatar
Mike_L
 
Posts: 12348
Age: 49
Male

Country: South Africa
Print view this post

Re: The Stephen King Thread

#373  Postby Fallible » Jan 13, 2018 1:37 pm

Not one of his best, which relegates it to the level of any other writer's good book.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 44557
Age: 44
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: The Stephen King Thread

#374  Postby Mike_L » Jan 13, 2018 2:03 pm

:nod:
User avatar
Mike_L
 
Posts: 12348
Age: 49
Male

Country: South Africa
Print view this post

Re: The Stephen King Thread

#375  Postby aliihsanasl » Jan 13, 2018 6:57 pm

I hope I'll live long enough to watch "The Talisman", as mentioned in the article making its movie turned into a story as long as "The Talisman" itself even a new volume added to the book.
"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
User avatar
aliihsanasl
 
Posts: 4587
Age: 38
Male

Country: Turkey
Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: The Stephen King Thread

#376  Postby aban57 » Jan 14, 2018 9:14 am

aliihsanasl wrote:I hope I'll live long enough to watch "The Talisman", as mentioned in the article making its movie turned into a story as long as "The Talisman" itself even a new volume added to the book.


Well if it's as good as the Dark Tower....
User avatar
aban57
 
Name: Cédric
Posts: 4369
Age: 38

Country: France
Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Re: The Stephen King Thread

#377  Postby Fallible » Jan 14, 2018 9:16 am

:(
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 44557
Age: 44
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: The Stephen King Thread

#378  Postby aliihsanasl » Jan 14, 2018 10:57 pm

Having mass shooting at the end of Apt Pupil Tod Bowden was shooting at cars on the highway from a hill or lynching a schoolkid by his classmates, do such things being on a bestseller book bother you ?

My actuall question was why they prefer not to show such things on movies (they usually censor or water down his stories right ?) maybe to reach a larger community in order to pass ratings or they auto censor to be less violent on screen ?

I watched a lot of King's interview but never come up such a question, by the way while writing this I realized there is actually a new trend such as good/bad double ending.

Its like "choose which one you like, we have for everyone" but books arent like that, to this day I never read a book with two ending.
"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
User avatar
aliihsanasl
 
Posts: 4587
Age: 38
Male

Country: Turkey
Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

Re: The Stephen King Thread

#379  Postby UncertainSloth » Jan 15, 2018 5:33 am

aliihsanasl wrote:Having mass shooting at the end of Apt Pupil Tod Bowden was shooting at cars on the highway from a hill or lynching a schoolkid by his classmates, do such things being on a bestseller book bother you ?

My actuall question was why they prefer not to show such things on movies (they usually censor or water down his stories right ?) maybe to reach a larger community in order to pass ratings or they auto censor to be less violent on screen ?


nope, no issue with it...

I watched a lot of King's interview but never come up such a question, by the way while writing this I realized there is actually a new trend such as good/bad double ending.

Its like "choose which one you like, we have for everyone" but books arent like that, to this day I never read a book with two ending.


Image
Running away, go to it.
Where did you have in mind?
Have to take care.. .unless there's a 'where',
You'll only be wandering blind.
Just more questions... different kind.
Where are we to go? Where are we ever to go?

stephen sondheim
User avatar
UncertainSloth
 
Posts: 2026
Age: 44
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: The Stephen King Thread

#380  Postby Mike_L » Jan 15, 2018 12:01 pm

:smile:
Reminds me of the 'Choose Your Own Adventure' books of the early '80s...

Image
User avatar
Mike_L
 
Posts: 12348
Age: 49
Male

Country: South Africa
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Books

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest