The Stephen King Thread

Discuss books here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

The Stephen King Thread

#1  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 01, 2010 4:32 am

Post anything related to the guy.

What do you think of his writing? Is he a literary hack or is he an entertaining, and occasionally insightful author?

I'm a big fan of his books, but I haven't read many of his newer books, so my opinion may or may not change.
Pet Sematary is the scariest I've read so far. I could barely get past the parts involving Gage or Zelda.
Mac_Guffin

Name: Christopher
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: The Stephen King Thread

#2  Postby Tbickle » Mar 01, 2010 4:43 am

I generally seem to either love his books or hate them, nothing really inbetween. Mostly I think that he is far too wordy, and often has these WTF moments that don't offer anything really to the story.
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 01, 2010 4:47 am

Tbickle wrote:I generally seem to either love his books or hate them, nothing really inbetween. Mostly I think that he is far too wordy, and often has these WTF moments that don't offer anything really to the story.

Would you give an example of wordiness (if you remember one)? I find that he writes long stories, but I can't remember him being wordy. :think:

I do see the WTF moments though. In Apt Pupil, there was a scene where Todd dreamt about putting a dildo on his penis and used it as some sort of condom, I guess. :crazy:
Mac_Guffin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Tbickle » Mar 01, 2010 4:55 am

Mac_Guffin wrote:
Tbickle wrote:I generally seem to either love his books or hate them, nothing really inbetween. Mostly I think that he is far too wordy, and often has these WTF moments that don't offer anything really to the story.

Would you give an example of wordiness (if you remember one)? I find that he writes long stories, but I can't remember him being wordy. :think:

I do see the WTF moments though. In Apt Pupil, there was a scene where Todd dreamt about putting a dildo on his penis and used it as some sort of condom, I guess. :crazy:

I guess I should clarify. It just seems that some stories take way too long to tell when I commented on him being wordy. The Tommyknockers seems to be a good example for that. Also, wasn't there a part when a cop shoots a soda machine because it came alive and tried to kill him or someone else? That would be abother wTF moment.
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Nostalgia » Mar 01, 2010 8:10 pm

I've read The Stand and Cell.

The former I loved (until it got too God-y). Cell, I was disappointed with. He came up with such a brilliantly original idea to collapse civilisation; a pulse sent through the mobile-phone networks that turned anyone who heard it into a mad-zombie person.

But I couldn't finish the book, he seemed to of ripped off I Am Legend (the book not the film), where the zombies were just a new type of human.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 01, 2010 8:17 pm

Tbickle wrote:
Mac_Guffin wrote:

I guess I should clarify. It just seems that some stories take way too long to tell when I commented on him being wordy. The Tommyknockers seems to be a good example for that. Also, wasn't there a part when a cop shoots a soda machine because it came alive and tried to kill him or someone else? That would be abother wTF moment.

:lol: But that's one of the reasons I like him. A lot of his influence comes from old B Horror films, and it's part of his charm.
Mac_Guffin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby josephchoi » Mar 01, 2010 8:20 pm

Speaking of WTF moments... the kiddy sex in IT. WTF!!! Too fucked up for words...

I enjoyed Misery.
Donuts don't wear alligator shoes!
josephchoi

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 01, 2010 8:21 pm

MacIver wrote:I've read The Stand and Cell.

The former I loved (until it got too God-y). Cell, I was disappointed with. He came up with such a brilliantly original idea to collapse civilisation; a pulse sent through the mobile-phone networks that turned anyone who heard it into a mad-zombie person.

But I couldn't finish the book, he seemed to of ripped off I Am Legend (the book not the film), where the zombies were just a new type of human.

I haven't got around to The Stand, but I never got why some people criticize it for the religious stuff when they're okay with the vampires, eldritch abominations, aliens, etc. :eh:

...or is there more to the criticism than that?
Mac_Guffin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby campermon » Mar 01, 2010 8:22 pm

I'm his number one fan! :lol:

Although I was disapointed with 'Under the Dome'. The spiel on the cover made out that it was a masterpiece in the ranks with 'The Stand'.

It wasn't.

;)
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 01, 2010 8:23 pm

josephchoi wrote:Speaking of WTF moments... the kiddy sex in IT. WTF!!! Too fucked up for words...

I enjoyed Misery.

I keep going back and forth on what I feel about that part. I've heard/read arguments on both sides on whether it was necessary to the story and I still haven't made up my mind. :ill:
Mac_Guffin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 01, 2010 8:26 pm

campermon wrote:I'm his number one fan! :lol:

Although I was disapointed with 'Under the Dome'. The spiel on the cover made out that it was a masterpiece in the ranks with 'The Stand'.

It wasn't.

;)

Plus, it's pretty much an unintentional (supposedly) Simpsons rip-off.
It still looks good, and I'll probably enjoy it because I don't tend to get caught up in any hype.
Mac_Guffin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby campermon » Mar 01, 2010 8:37 pm

Mac_Guffin wrote:

It wasn't.

;)

It still looks good, and I'll probably enjoy it because I don't tend to get caught up in any hype.

It was readable and I did enjoy it..but..I didn't think it was classic King!
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby campermon » Mar 01, 2010 8:39 pm

Mac_Guffin wrote:
josephchoi wrote:Speaking of WTF moments... the kiddy sex in IT. WTF!!! Too fucked up for words...

I enjoyed Misery.

I keep going back and forth on what I feel about that part. I've heard/read arguments on both sides on whether it was necessary to the story and I still haven't made up my mind. :ill:

I found that part of the story disturbing too.....but I guess that's what he sets out to do! :mrgreen:
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 01, 2010 8:39 pm

campermon wrote:
Mac_Guffin wrote:

It wasn't.

;)

It was readable and I did enjoy it..but..I didn't think it was classic King!

He seems to have done his best Horror writing in the early and mid 80's.
Mac_Guffin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby The_Metatron » Mar 01, 2010 8:50 pm

Salem's Lot scared the dog shit out of me when I was a kid. Fuckin' Stephen King. Goddamn vampires outside my window. I used to run to the woodshed and back to the house so those bastards wouldn't get me.

Which, evidence shows, works. They didn't get me.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby 95Theses » Mar 01, 2010 8:53 pm

Big fan of everything including and before Insomnia, not really much of a fan of anything after that except the rest of the Gunslinger books. I love them.

The long version of The Stand is my favourite stand alone book
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts - Bertrand Russel

Quoting yourself in your own signature is both narcissistic and plain weird - 95Theses
95Theses
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby campermon » Mar 01, 2010 8:54 pm

The_Metatron wrote:Salem's Lot scared the dog shit out of me when I was a kid. Fuckin' Stephen King. Goddamn vampires outside my window. I used to run to the woodshed and back to the house so those bastards wouldn't get me.

Which, evidence shows, works. They didn't get me.

:lol:

For some reason, on terrestrial TV back in the 80's they showed the David Soul mini-series of 'Salems Lot' during the daytime in the half term holidays. I remember me and my mates (about 13 /14 yrs old) all crashing around my house to watch it each day. It scared the bejaysus out of all of us!

In particular, the scraping nails on the window..... :whine:
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 01, 2010 8:55 pm

One of my only critiques of his work is that he rarely scares me. He used to scare me a bit more, but even then, I found his stuff to be mild. Pet Sematary is fucking disturbing, and certain parts of his other stories are, but I tend to sleep well after reading his novels.
Mac_Guffin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Mac_Guffin » Mar 01, 2010 8:57 pm

95Theses wrote:Big fan of everything including and before Insomnia, not really much of a fan of anything after that except the rest of the Gunslinger books. I love them.

The long version of The Stand is my favourite stand alone book

I loved Insomnia, but the ending was a bit anti-climactic and boring. I was expecting a face-off like in IT, but it wasn't what I got.
Mac_Guffin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby campermon » Mar 01, 2010 9:01 pm

Mac_Guffin wrote:One of my only critiques of his work is that he rarely scares me. He used to scare me a bit more, but even then, I found his stuff to be mild. Pet Sematary is fucking disturbing, and certain parts of his other stories are, but I tend to sleep well after reading his novels.

I did find 'pet sematary' disturrbing too. The movie was pretty good (my kids are begging me to watch it!...they're too young!). I can't watch the scene where the little boy is walking towards the road......
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Books