The unofficial comic book/graphic novel thread!

What you like, what you hate, what you recommend?

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The unofficial comic book/graphic novel thread!

#21  Postby Nostalgia » Oct 15, 2011 7:07 pm

Yup, The Sandman is awesome. Best thing Gaiman's done imo.

Pretty much anything by Alan Moore too. There's the aforementioned Watchmen and things like V for Vendetta, From Hell and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. But I also love his take on Swamp Thing. That really was an important comic book. His Captain Britain was enjoyable too.

I also really like The Walking Dead, the writing and art aren't the best. But the idea of it is brilliant. The author claims he's going to keep doing it for as long as possible. Which is the point. As no one has really done a long term post-apocalyptic story that lasts for years/decades.

Preacher is fun. A bit OTT in places but it's kind of like the Pulp Fiction of comics.

Something I've never read is a great hardcore space opera type sci-fi comic, and I would love if someone here could recommend one.

There's really only two "mainstream superhero" comics I've read as a proper adult. I quite like the Ultimates. I like the politics in it. And then there's Josh Whedon's X-Men. A brilliant romp with great pictures.

For me, with comics, the artwork is just as important as the writing. If I don't like the art I find it very difficult to get into them.

It's a shame alienpresence has left. Undoubtedly he'd be in here trolling about how only stupid people read comics...
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Delphin » Oct 15, 2011 7:52 pm

Joe Sacco - Palestine and Footnotes in Gaza
Guy Deslisle - Pyongyang
Amir & Khalil - Zahra's Paradise
Delphin

Female

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#23  Postby j.mills » Oct 15, 2011 8:35 pm

MacIver wrote:Something I've never read is a great hardcore space opera type sci-fi comic, and I would love if someone here could recommend one.

Nearest I can do for you from my limited experience is the neat little Ministry Of Space, a beautifully drawn and very interesting tale whose premise is that at the end of WWII it was Britain who got to Peenemunde first and scooped up all the rocket scientists...

WordsVoiceLimericky tweets

There is grandeur in this view of life
Where one becomes many through struggle and strife,
But the Mother of Mysteries is another man's call:
Why is there something 'stead of nothing at all?

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Nostalgia » Oct 15, 2011 10:05 pm

D'oh! I have that in my collection. Just forgot about it. I really liked it, especially the little twist at the end.

I got another out of the library a wee bit back, by the same author. Can't remember it's name but it was about people finding a whole race of ancient aliens (or pre-humans) under Titan's ice. It was awful, just awful. Couldn't finish it. :nono:
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Matt8819 » Oct 16, 2011 8:42 am

If anyone is into current mainstream super hero titles, and I don't blame you if you're not, you need to check out these two. Hell, even if you're not, check them out anyway. Rick Remender is doing amazing things with these titles.

Uncanny X-force
(My current sig is actually a Deadpool quote from the latest issue of this book)

And Venom

Matt Fraction was doing great things on his Invincible Iron-Man run, but it's gone a little downhill since he started doing Fear Itself. I'm hoping once Fear Itself(which is a bit disappointing, but not bad by any means) is done, Iron-Man has a quality rebound. His run on The Mighty Thor is pretty good, too.

Staying with Marvel, but leaving the mainstream stuff...

S.H.I.E.L.D.

The first volume was 6 issues of weird sci fi steam punky past stuff, with Leonardo Divinci, Issac Newton, Nostradamus, Tony Stark and Reed Richards' fathers, Nikola Tesla, if I remember correctly...It was weird and awesome, and the art was fabulous. The second volume is just as good so far.
Matt8819
RS Donator

Name: Matt
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#26  Postby aban57 » Oct 16, 2011 9:27 am

I read the 4 volumes of Marvel's Civil War.
Quite nice, but I don't understand why they stopped after only 4 volumes,they could go on
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#27  Postby NilsGLindgren » Oct 16, 2011 10:13 am

:popcorn: Bookmarking, for the mo'.
"I'll be back" [/Terminator]
H.L. Menken: "Puritanism - the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."
NilsGLindgren

Name: Nyarla Thotep

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Matt8819 » Oct 16, 2011 5:46 pm

aban57 wrote:I read the 4 volumes of Marvel's Civil War.
Quite nice, but I don't understand why they stopped after only 4 volumes,they could go on

Four volumes. To the best of my knowledge, it was an event book, with one main arc and a bunch of crossovers. It was good though. That seemed to be Mark Millar doing what he does usually, though. A recurring theme of his is "Super heroes; Good or Bad?". He used the same basic theme for Kick Ass.
Matt8819
RS Donator

Name: Matt
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#29  Postby NilsGLindgren » Oct 16, 2011 7:31 pm

I hereby declare myself a totally nut for Usagi Yojimbo (rabbit lifeguard), set in an alternate Japan at a time a few years after the battle of Sekigahara. Usagi is a ronin after his master was killed and his clan disbanded, wandering the warrior's pilgrimage. There is very little rabbit like about Usagi, except his long ears.
H.L. Menken: "Puritanism - the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."
NilsGLindgren

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#30  Postby j.mills » Oct 16, 2011 7:58 pm

Why, uh. Why is he a rabbit then? :scratch:

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#31  Postby NilsGLindgren » Oct 16, 2011 8:06 pm

On account of it being an alternate Japan - everybody has animal heads, there is even discussed how you inherit (you get a head same as your parent with the same sex), though the question of tails is considered unbecoming and rude, so, we don't know if they have them. Usagi's best friend is Gennosuke, who is a rhinocerus. A very cynical and world weary rhinocerus, working as a bounty hunter. The only primates are a wood chopper and his wife. Drawings are immaculate, sometimes the author (Stan Sakai) gets into a discussion over something of interest such as, how do you make a samurai sword, or, how do you make a kite?
In one strip, Usagi fights with fish.

Did I mention my tastes are very simple?
NilsGLindgren

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#32  Postby j.mills » Oct 16, 2011 9:34 pm

I suppose I shouldn't complain, after reading a dozen volumes about an aardvark. (Gotta finish that! :lay:)

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Nostalgia » Oct 16, 2011 11:40 pm

Mouse Guard is really enjoyable. Lord of the Rings with mice. Instead of orcs and goblins you have snakes and other predators. The Guard are in charge of protecting travellers and traders. Great artwork. The action scenes are pretty nifty.

Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#34  Postby j.mills » Oct 17, 2011 12:05 am

Heh. Comics routinely inhabit universes so much odder than those in books and films. :dopey:

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Nostalgia » Oct 17, 2011 5:34 pm

Dunno 'bout that. Was listening to Radio Scotland this afternoon as I took the dog for a walk. There was an author (never caught his name) who was reading a short story of his. It was set in a world where all the animals from the oceans instead flew in the air. A mother and daughter were being cased down a street by Orcas and Great Whites. :crazy:
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 17, 2011 6:23 pm

MacIver wrote:[img]snip[/img]

Mouse Guard is really enjoyable. Lord of the Rings with mice. Instead of orcs and goblins you have snakes and other predators. The Guard are in charge of protecting travellers and traders. Great artwork. The action scenes are pretty nifty.

[img]snip[/img]

I had high hopes for this comic when it came out, the artwork is gorgeous and just about anything with talking animals is good in my book. Unfortunately I found practically zilch in character development...or even characters, for that matter: I had a hard time telling any of the mice apart. Did you have the same experience, or do I just need to try harder?

All hail Most Holy :mrgreen:

Anybody read Hellboy? I was a huge fan when Mignola was actually drawing the series. Definitely not much more in the way of characters/development than Mouse Guard tho :lol:

Another favorite: Lone Wolf And Cub. Classic, beautiful pen & ink artwork, epic as all-hell. There's one part where the main character and his opponent are staring at each other for over 20 pages straight, no joke. Lots of beautiful shots of scenery, as well as many stretches with no dialogue.

"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Nostalgia » Oct 17, 2011 6:39 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:I had high hopes for this comic when it came out, the artwork is gorgeous and just about anything with talking animals is good in my book. Unfortunately I found practically zilch in character development...or even characters, for that matter: I had a hard time telling any of the mice apart. Did you have the same experience, or do I just need to try harder?

I'd actually agree with you more or less. But then I wasn't really looking for deep characterisation when I bought it. Just a good fantasy romp.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#38  Postby NilsGLindgren » Oct 17, 2011 7:22 pm

Not surprisingly, the "Lone Wolf and Cub" appears in Usagi Yojimbo, as "Lone Goat and Kid". AND he is every bit as mean as the original. And that is just the kid. Don't get me STARTED on the father.
Here's one SciFi comic I enjoyed for a while - Valerian, Agent Spatio-Temporel, and his lovely sidekick Laureline. A few of the middle books were quite good - Brooklyn Station, Terminus Cosmos comes to mind. The later installments were not as good. The series is ended, officially, there will be no sequels.
NilsGLindgren

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#39  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 17, 2011 7:45 pm

MacIver wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:I had high hopes for this comic when it came out, the artwork is gorgeous and just about anything with talking animals is good in my book. Unfortunately I found practically zilch in character development...or even characters, for that matter: I had a hard time telling any of the mice apart. Did you have the same experience, or do I just need to try harder?

I'd actually agree with you more or less. But then I wasn't really looking for deep characterisation when I bought it. Just a good fantasy romp.

I hear that :thumbup: Got the first series issues on my shelf! I wonder if there's a collection of series 2?

Argh, you guys are gunna make me go through my shelf. I used to read tons of comics, but I found myself picking up fewer and fewer new things over the years...anyway, I always loved TMNT. :dopey:

Epic as hell. Imagine a kid who's only watched the cartoon finding the first graphic novel, and seeing Leo kill somebody :shock:

Stan Sakai rules :thumbup: I love how well developed his style is!

Anybody else love Moeibus? :dopey:

Somebody REALLY needs to put out a new collection of his stuff, it's impossible to find!
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#40  Postby akigr8 » Oct 17, 2011 9:40 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_of_the_Immortal
Cool story in this,

and drawing is excellent, and graphical.
I once applied for a job as a mustard cutter.

But unfortunately I wasn’t quite good enough.
akigr8

Name: Kim

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to The Arts & Entertainment