This year’s Oscars was the biggest gathering of smug

What arseholes.

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: This year’s Oscars was the biggest gathering of smug

#21  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 01, 2016 1:22 pm

Sendraks wrote:Apparently Leo is psychic. Who knew?
:coffee:

A good PR option.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Sendraks » Mar 01, 2016 1:23 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Everybody likes a good guy.

Well yes. Hardly a bold claim to make.

Scot Dutchy wrote:What is $30 million to him over 20 years?

Who cares what it is to him. It is a helluva lot of money to the foundation in question and hardly pocket change to research scientists. It is the kind of money that makes a difference.

Scot Dutchy wrote:Just call me sceptical; it was a good option.

Sceptical of what?
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#23  Postby Animavore » Mar 01, 2016 1:23 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:

A good PR option.

Being psychic?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 01, 2016 1:24 pm

tuco wrote:This year? Every year, that does not change. What changed is that what thought to be eco-terrorist ideology is now popular fact.

Taste of the month. Just when did Hollywood think about the rest of the world?

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Sendraks » Mar 01, 2016 1:24 pm

Animavore wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

A good PR option.

Being psychic?

Arguably being psychic is the best PR option.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#26  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 01, 2016 1:26 pm

Animavore wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

A good PR option.

Being psychic?

Do you realise the team that there is behind a actor like him? There is bound to be someone with half a brain to see the impact it would have.

Is it genuine?

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Animavore » Mar 01, 2016 1:35 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

A good PR option.

Being psychic?

Do you realise the team that there is behind a actor like him? There is bound to be someone with half a brain to see the impact it would have.

Is it genuine?

Wrong question to ask. You should be asking if what he says is factual. Remember the article in the OP claimed Leo sounded like a well-meaning sixth grader. I counter claimed that he is very knowledgeable on the subject. Whether he genuinely cares isn't the issue and questioning his sincerity if he really cares or not does not refute the facts presented.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby tuco » Mar 01, 2016 1:37 pm

Animavore wrote:
tuco wrote:This year? Every year, that does not change. What changed is that what thought to be eco-terrorist ideology is now popular fact.

:eh:

What I meant was that couple of decades ago climate change was not mainstream and those who vioced their concerns about environment were called eco-terrorists. I do not see that connection any more but I see more people like Mr DiCaprio.
Last edited by tuco on Mar 01, 2016 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tuco

Print view this post

#29  Postby Sendraks » Mar 01, 2016 1:37 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Do you realise the team that there is behind a actor like him?

Please do explain to us in more detail your comprehensive knowledge of such things, we're all ears.

Scot Dutchy wrote:There is bound to be someone with half a brain to see the impact it would have.

Why does he need someone else to see this? Are you so cynical that you're unable to credit DiCaprio with intelligence?

Scot Dutchy wrote:Is it genuine?

You're confusing cynicism with sceptics again. You're not being sceptical, just cynical.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#30  Postby felltoearth » Mar 01, 2016 1:38 pm

tuco wrote:
Animavore wrote:

What I meant was that couple of decades ago climate change was not mainstream and those who vioced their concerns about environment were called eco-terrorists. I do not see that connection any more but I see more people like Mr DiCaprio.

Apparently Leo planned the whole thing. I think Scorsese might be in in it.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Animavore » Mar 01, 2016 1:50 pm

tuco wrote:
Animavore wrote:

Utter nonsense. Climate change was pretty much accepted in 1988 and there were lots of plans to combat it discussed. Unfortunately it coincided with an explosion of capitalism who's ideology of growth and expansion were anathema to the steps needed to combat global warming. The plans for climate change often clashed with many of the trade deals being made across the globe. Then boom time happened and we ignored climate change for awhile. It is during this time that capitalist lies which told us it wasn't all bad and it was business as usual became attractive to people who wanted to live like there was no tomorrow.

Climate change was mainstream from the outset. It's denialism which has had to fight for recognition through well funded campaigns of misinformation and manufactured doubt, including paying big bucks to politicians to change their tune.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#32  Postby tuco » Mar 01, 2016 1:52 pm

OK :)

---
edit: I did not mean this eco-terrorism: Whatever Happened to 'Eco-Terrorism'? http://www.psmag.com/nature-and-technol ... -terrorism ,

but the metaphor for those who, for example, used legal means available to civil/open society to act against environmentally unfriendly projects/legislation/deals.

btw I do not think you can say, well you can, ..pretty much accepted .. when pretty much nothing was happening, but I guess that is matter of interpretation.
Last edited by tuco on Mar 01, 2016 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tuco

Print view this post

#33  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 01, 2016 1:58 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Do you realise the team that there is behind a actor like him?

Please do explain to us in more detail your comprehensive knowledge of such things, we're all ears.

Scot Dutchy wrote:There is bound to be someone with half a brain to see the impact it would have.

Why does he need someone else to see this? Are you so cynical that you're unable to credit DiCaprio with intelligence?

You're confusing cynicism with sceptics again. You're not being sceptical, just cynical.

Nope sceptical. That is your opinion. Like your lack of knowledge how top "stars" operate. Just having a manager is not option these days.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Animavore » Mar 01, 2016 1:59 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sendraks wrote:

Nope sceptical. That is your opinion. Like your lack of knowledge how top "stars" operate. Just having a manager is not option these days.

You're basically trying to claim there is no real person behind any movie star.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Sendraks » Mar 01, 2016 2:05 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Nope sceptical. That is your opinion.

Nah, you're just cynical. You don't come across as sceptical at all, because your mind is already made up and impossible to change because you're ego is too invested in being "right" all the time. You're just a cynic.

Scot Dutchy wrote: Like your lack of knowledge how top "stars" operate. Just having a manager is not option these days.

Please do tell me more about your expansive knowledge about how the top stars operate.

And please do tell me on statements what you're basing my lack of knowledge on? I'm not the one here professing to know anything about a industry I have zero experience of operating in. So please, do tell me more. :coffee:

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby tuco » Mar 01, 2016 2:08 pm

btw anyone could relate to: When watching Michael Fassbender in Steve Jobs I was watching Steve Jobs and when watching Leonardo DiCaprio in The Revenant I was watching Leonardo DiCaprio playing in The Revenant?
tuco

Print view this post

#37  Postby felltoearth » Mar 01, 2016 2:10 pm

Apparently Leo + Climate Change = Jenny McCarthy + Vaccines + Autism to Scot. Scot doesn't get nuance, especially through an "I Hate Everything American" filter.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Sendraks » Mar 01, 2016 2:13 pm

felltoearth wrote:Apparently Leo + Climate Change = Jenny McCarthy + Vaccines + Autism to Scot. Scot doesn't get nuance, especially through an "I Hate Everything American" filter.

Apparently this is what passes for "scepticism" these days, as opposed to being the naked cynicism I see it as.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#39  Postby Animavore » Mar 01, 2016 2:13 pm

If Rutger Hauer took up climate change he'd probably be the best actor/ambassador ever. :lol:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 01, 2016 2:17 pm

Animavore wrote:You're basically trying to claim there is no real person behind any movie star.

In some cases definitely not. It is tinsel land after all. The fact that anyone takes anything seriously of what comes out of there is quite amazing.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to The Arts & Entertainment