This year’s Oscars was the biggest gathering of smug

What arseholes.

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: This year’s Oscars was the biggest gathering of smug

#41  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 01, 2016 2:20 pm

Sendraks wrote:
felltoearth wrote:Apparently Leo + Climate Change = Jenny McCarthy + Vaccines + Autism to Scot. Scot doesn't get nuance, especially through an "I Hate Everything American" filter.

Apparently this is what passes for "scepticism" these days, as opposed to being the naked cynicism I see it as.

Look it is a great wagon to get onto but I am very sceptical about the genuineness. That is not cynicism but who cares if you cant see that.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby Sendraks » Mar 01, 2016 2:21 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote: The fact that anyone takes anything seriously of what comes out of there is quite amazing.

The fact that you're focused on the source of the message, rather than the message itself, speaks volumes about its criticism.
Of course anyone with half a brain will take DiCaprio's message about AGW seriously. It is, after all, a very serious subject and doesn't become less so simply because it has come out of the mouth of a Hollywood star.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#43  Postby Sendraks » Mar 01, 2016 2:25 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Look it is a great wagon to get onto but I am very sceptical about the genuineness. That is not cynicism but who cares if you cant see that.

You're not sceptical about DiCaprio, you're just cynical. Evidenced by the fact that you're not in anyway prepared to entertain any evidence to the contrary. You dismiss everything as "PR" which is simply you being cynical.

If you were being sceptical, you'd have some evidence to draw upon in support of your view. Instead, you're just stuck in a perpetual feedback loop of your own evidence free cynical opinion.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#44  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 01, 2016 2:28 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Look it is a great wagon to get onto but I am very sceptical about the genuineness. That is not cynicism but who cares if you cant see that.

You're not sceptical about DiCaprio, you're just cynical. Evidenced by the fact that you're not in anyway prepared to entertain any evidence to the contrary. You dismiss everything as "PR" which is simply you being cynical.

If you were being sceptical, you'd have some evidence to draw upon in support of your view. Instead, you're just stuck in a perpetual feedback loop of your own evidence free cynical opinion.

Your opinion of course.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Briton » Mar 01, 2016 2:29 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:

Everybody likes a good guy. What is $30 million to him over 20 years? Just call me sceptical; it was a good option.

$30 million is an expensive PR stunt. You sceptical? Don't make me laugh.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Sendraks » Mar 01, 2016 2:31 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Your opinion of course.

Nope. Not my opinion.

Cynicism is an attitude or state of mind characterized by a general distrust of others' motives.

If you want to progress from cynicism to scepticism, pony up some evidence in support of your view. Otherwise feel free to continue to be the poster child for the definition of "cynicism" whose "witty retorts" are limited to "your opinion of course."

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#47  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 01, 2016 2:34 pm

Briton wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

Everybody likes a good guy. What is $30 million to him over 20 years? Just call me sceptical; it was a good option.

Over 20 years. Come on back pocket money for someone like him.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby Briton » Mar 01, 2016 2:41 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Briton wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

Over 20 years. Come on back pocket money for someone like him.

Well at least you are now acknowledging LDC has been active in environmental politics for two decades. He has given money and time in support of this cause and once again you've made an arse of it.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Sendraks » Mar 01, 2016 2:44 pm

Well if you're as cynical about DiCaprio's motives as Scot is, of course you're going to make an arse of it.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#50  Postby Animavore » Mar 01, 2016 3:01 pm

Digging yourself into a hole with your heels and then doubling down.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 01, 2016 3:10 pm

Sendraks wrote:Well if you're as cynical about DiCaprio's motives as Scot is, of course you're going to make an arse of it.

Why do you think he bothers?

‘Hypocrite!’ Leonardo DiCaprio Took 6 Private Jet Flights In 6 Weeks Sony Emails Reveal — Despite Climate Change Advocacy Work

In addition to his acting work, Leonardo DiCaprio has devoted himself to climate change advocacy, funding eco projects and speaking at gatherings like the UN climate summit in 2014. But secretly, RadarOnline.com has learned, recent charges that he is a “hypocrite” could hold some weight: According to newly leaked Sony emails, the actor happily availed himself of more than $200,000 worth of private jet travel in just six weeks in 2014.

According to Sony corporate travel records posted on WikiLeaks Thursday, DiCaprio took six private jet flights during April and May 2014.

On April 17, the documents state, he flew from Los Angeles to New York at a cost of $63,000 to the company. Travel handlers noted he was going for a filmmaker’s meeting, but then-girlfriend Toni Garrn was listed as accompanying him.
More...

Like I said I am sceptical on his motives.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#52  Postby tuco » Mar 01, 2016 3:25 pm

The same was said about Mr Al Gore when he got his Nobel. Where is he now btw? Flying around the world, "preaching" (cant find better word) about environment and stuff. Question is, for me, if it paid off or not. If he actually convinced anyone or was just only flying around.

I am not sceptical of his motives, but lets say devotion. That seems to be problem of many. Say one thing, do another. That is kinda human.
tuco

Print view this post

#53  Postby Sendraks » Mar 01, 2016 3:32 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Why do you think he bothers?

My guess is that, being a pretty bright chap, he's not ignorant of the consequences of AGW if left unchecked. Being a well travelled gent, he's been to a lot of far flung and beautiful places and may, just may, have come to the entirely well informed conclusion that it would be pretty terrible if these places were destroyed by man made activities.

I know, that's decidedly unradical viewpoint for DiCaprio to adopt but, it is also entirely plausible.

Scot Dutchy wrote:Like I said I am sceptical on his motives.

Ah yes, the hard hitting reporting of a gossip website. The first port of call for every serious sceptic seeking serious evidence. I've noticed other serious news sites, like the Daily Fail, have also run with this story.

Now don't get me wrong, I do think DiCaprio undermines his message by his behaviour, despite the actions he has taken to be a carbon neutral individual (he had entire fucking forest planted). He's undermining his argument by dint of his own actions but, that doesn't mean he isn't genuine.

Let me remind you again of the definition of cynicism.

Cynicism is an attitude or state of mind characterized by a general distrust of others' motives.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#54  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 01, 2016 3:49 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Why do you think he bothers?

My guess is that, being a pretty bright chap, he's not ignorant of the consequences of AGW if left unchecked. Being a well travelled gent, he's been to a lot of far flung and beautiful places and may, just may, have come to the entirely well informed conclusion that it would be pretty terrible if these places were destroyed by man made activities.

I know, that's decidedly unradical viewpoint for DiCaprio to adopt but, it is also entirely plausible.

Scot Dutchy wrote:Like I said I am sceptical on his motives.

Ah yes, the hard hitting reporting of a gossip website. The first port of call for every serious sceptic seeking serious evidence. I've noticed other serious news sites, like the Daily Fail, have also run with this story.

Now don't get me wrong, I do think DiCaprio undermines his message by his behaviour, despite the actions he has taken to be a carbon neutral individual (he had entire fucking forest planted). He's undermining his argument by dint of his own actions but, that doesn't mean he isn't genuine.

Let me remind you again of the definition of cynicism.

Oh when it does not suit you its gossip. Well done more cynicism. I am sceptical about his motivations. You are the one generating cynical comments without evidence. Keep going you might just learn something. May I suggest you remove the starry blinkers.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#55  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 01, 2016 3:57 pm

tuco wrote:The same was said about Mr Al Gore when he got his Nobel. Where is he now btw? Flying around the world, "preaching" (cant find better word) about environment and stuff. Question is, for me, if it paid off or not. If he actually convinced anyone or was just only flying around.

I am not sceptical of his motives, but lets say devotion. That seems to be problem of many. Say one thing, do another. That is kinda human.

Another good example. You really have to ask yourself what they achieved besides collecting trophies.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby Sendraks » Mar 01, 2016 4:01 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Oh when it does not suit you its gossip.

Radar online is a gossip website. That is what it is. It is not a serious news source and you'd have to be daft to think it was.

Scot Dutchy wrote:Well done more cynicism.

In what way was that cynical? For fucks sake I put the definition of cynical in my post for clarity and yet you still fuck up its usage. This just another example of you throwing a word around as a retort, because you lack a better argument and don't understand what the word means.

Scot Dutchy wrote:I am sceptical about his motivations.

No. You are cynical. As per the definition.

Scot Dutchy wrote:You are the one generating cynical comments without evidence.

My comments are not cynical. Look at the definition I've posted above. The definition I have posted three times now, that it should be painfully obvious even to you that you are using the word incorrectly when applying it to my posts.

Please explain in what way my comments can be considered cynical, as per the definition posted?

Or are you just throwing the word around as a catch-all insult because you've failed to pay attention to what it means?

Scot Dutchy wrote:Keep going you might just learn something.

I've learned plenty about DiCaprio's charitable works in this thread and more since, based on a little online research. My learning is just going fine. Yours appears to be going nowhere, as usual.

Scot Dutchy wrote:May I suggest you remove the starry blinkers.
[/quote]
What starry blinkers? I'm just going with the available evidence.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#57  Postby Sendraks » Mar 01, 2016 4:02 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote: You really have to ask yourself what they achieved besides collecting trophies.

You mean outside of raising people's awareness about a serious issue like AGW?

You're also aware than, in the case of DiCaprio, his Oscar was for his performance in a film. Not for his work raising awareness about AGW?

Take off your cynical blinkers.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#58  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 01, 2016 4:17 pm

Sendraks wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote: You really have to ask yourself what they achieved besides collecting trophies.

You mean outside of raising people's awareness about a serious issue like AGW?

You're also aware than, in the case of DiCaprio, his Oscar was for his performance in a film. Not for his work raising awareness about AGW?

Take off your cynical blinkers.

Which people would they been then? The ones he meets flying around in his private jet?
Oh it is a gossip line with facts which dont fit in with your lovely glossy view of him. I wonder if he was not a star would he even have been involved in AGW.

Are you really that naive when it comes to Hollywood?

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#59  Postby Sendraks » Mar 01, 2016 4:36 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Which people would they been then?

Presumably the millions of people who watch the Oscars. Or are you not aware that this is a high profile event which is viewed the world over?

Scot Dutchy wrote:Oh it is a gossip line with facts which dont fit in with your lovely glossy view of him.

No, it is a gossip site because that is what it is. I got that it was a gossip site from making a quick check about its validity as a reliable newsource.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radar_Online

Don't get all butthurt with me because you have to root through the trashpiles of the internet to find commentary that confirms your bias. It is not MY fault that radar online IS known as a gossip site.

I dunno - maybe you should check your sources before posting them in future and ask yourself "will anyone who is not a moron take articles from this website seriously?"

Scot Dutchy wrote:I wonder if he was not a star would he even have been involved in AGW.

Why does not being a star preclude you from being involved in AGW? The evidence shows that there are people the world over who are not stars involved in promoting understanding of AGW.

Again, you're making the cynical assumption that he's involved in AGW purely for his own benefit. But, I imagine you'd make a similar cynical claim about any famous person being involved in anything vaguely altruistic, because it suits your cynical worldview.

Scot Dutchy wrote:Are you really that naive when it comes to Hollywood?

Ah, the standard tactic of the cynic. Accusing others of naiveté when their cynical worldview is questioned. I'm actually surprised it took you this long to make such a shoddy retort.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#60  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 01, 2016 5:18 pm

Once again a load of nothingness. Anything that does not support your world view is just rubbished.

You and your rubbish is really very tiring. Your world naivety always shows. The running personal insults is something you are unable to stop. You never answer anything just glance blows because you incapable of any argument. You make claims and counter claims regarding anything that does not suit you. You always ask evidence but fail to give it. You are one useless debater.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to The Arts & Entertainment