This year’s Oscars was the biggest gathering of smug

What arseholes.

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: This year’s Oscars was the biggest gathering of smug

#61  Postby Sendraks » Mar 01, 2016 5:36 pm

Substance free tosh. Not that what preceded it was much better. You always do this when you've had the shit battered out of your arguments and you've nowhere left to go. It is tiresomly predictable.

Animavore provided the evidence in this thread, I've just gone from that. I also provided a clear definition of the word cynical, just so it was clear that you were being cynical. Oh well at least your pathetic misunderstanding of the word cynical gave me a giggle. I also provided evidence that your source of info about DiCaprio was from a gossip site. I also acknowledged what your site said but made the observation that it was a poor basis for reasoning DiCaprio was anything but genuine.

But now you're all butthurt and having nothing but your sad little tirade to try and comvince yourself that your argument was anything other than cynical shite. I wonder what you'll choose from your dropdown menu to respond to this post?

a - pathetic
b - that's your opinion
c - not dragging the discussion down to gutter levels
d - :rofl:

Or will it be something else equally unimaginative and purile?
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby RNeto » Mar 01, 2016 6:41 pm

At least: the guy stands to a global audience giving a message about Global Warming, the guy invests ~30$mi on a 20 years "environmental" effort, and this doesn't stand as evidence for his "purposes".

lol.

I wonder, what should he do to be enough. Giving everything? Go living in the bushes?
Last edited by RNeto on Mar 01, 2016 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RNeto

Brazil (br)
Print view this post

#63  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Mar 01, 2016 6:54 pm

RNeto wrote:At least: the guy stands to a global audience giving a message about Global Warming, the guy invests ~30$k on a 20 years "environmental" effort, and this doesn't stand as evidence for his "purposes".

lol.

I wonder, what should he do to be enough. Giving everything? Go living in the bushes?

Switching to CO2 breathing would be a start.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#64  Postby tuco » Mar 01, 2016 6:56 pm

Well, I guess lowering his ecological or carbon footprint.

Lets talk fiction. tuco has footprint X which is 10 times average footprint in developed world and 100 times average footprint in developing. tuco earns Y and donates Y/100 to environmental cause. Its still legitimate to ask tuco what his footprint is because if tuco footprint stays X, to some, it could sound like tuco is buying hmm indulgence. This is fiction and we can argue this senseless as how we gonna measure *and enumerate it all?

edit:*
Last edited by tuco on Mar 01, 2016 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tuco

Print view this post

#65  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 01, 2016 7:05 pm

Sendraks wrote:Substance free tosh. Not that what preceded it was much better. You always do this when you've had the shit battered out of your arguments and you've nowhere left to go. It is tiresomly predictable.

Animavore provided the evidence in this thread, I've just gone from that. I also provided a clear definition of the word cynical, just so it was clear that you were being cynical. Oh well at least your pathetic misunderstanding of the word cynical gave me a giggle. I also provided evidence that your source of info about DiCaprio was from a gossip site. I also acknowledged what your site said but made the observation that it was a poor basis for reasoning DiCaprio was anything but genuine.

But now you're all butthurt and having nothing but your sad little tirade to try and comvince yourself that your argument was anything other than cynical shite. I wonder what you'll choose from your dropdown menu to respond to this post?

a - pathetic
b - that's your opinion
c - not dragging the discussion down to gutter levels
d - :rofl:

Or will it be something else equally unimaginative and purile?

Once again claims without evidence. Insults just continue because you are unable to do anything else.
Pitiful pitiful.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#66  Postby Sendraks » Mar 01, 2016 7:28 pm

What claims without evidence? Your posts have descended into the realm of pure fiction. And predictable fiction at that.

Everything I wrote is evidenced in the preceeding posts. Anyone who has been being attention can see that.
Either you've not been paying attention or you've decided lying is your best option. Which is it?
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#67  Postby laklak » Mar 01, 2016 7:44 pm

Didn't watch it, didn't even realize it was on. I'm trying to think of something, anything, that I care less about. I came up with "mouse turds", but realized that I care a lot more about them, particularly if they're in the kitchen cupboard.

Edit when I was a kid it was a BIG deal, people had Oscar parties and got dressed up. Fuck, the 60s were a strange era.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#68  Postby Sendraks » Mar 01, 2016 8:05 pm

People still have Oscar parties, which is fucking weird but less weird than a lot of othee things people get excited about on the telly.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#69  Postby laklak » Mar 01, 2016 8:15 pm

They do? Damn, I probably need to get out more, except other humans generally bore me to tears IRL.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#70  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 01, 2016 8:26 pm

Looks like the same gathering of smug you see every year.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#71  Postby Fallible » Mar 01, 2016 9:19 pm

I don't watch the Oscars. I like LDC though. I used to despise him and considered him nothing but the latest pretty boy with not much else going on. His acting and opinions have changed my mind, though, over the years. I'm not all that bothered if he gets something out of talking about AGW; that doesn't affect the value of what he says if it's accurate. The man is intelligent and is using his huge fame to spread a message of great importance. End of, as far as I'm concerned.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#72  Postby RNeto » Mar 01, 2016 11:50 pm

Sendraks wrote:People still have Oscar parties, which is fucking weird but less weird than a lot of othee things people get excited about on the telly.

Excuses for having a drink are never too much.
RNeto

Brazil (br)
Print view this post

#73  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 02, 2016 12:57 am

How green is is DiCaprico ?

Leonardo DiCaprio Gushes About Climate Change, Routinely Uses Private Jet

Actor Leonardo DiCaprio won his first Oscar Sunday night and he used the opportunity to lecture millions of viewers about the dangers of global warming. But he failed to mention his own affinity for private jets and fossil fuel sins.
More...

During just six weeks in Spring 2014, the movie star took six roundtrip private jet flights between New York and Los Angeles. Just last month, DiCaprio flew by private jet to the World Economic Forum’s annual conference in Davos, Switzerland – again to decry fossil fuels and the “greed” of the energy industry.

Leonardo DiCaprio’s Hypocritical Property Empire

Leonardo Dicaprio is a self-proclaimed environmentalist. He is an NRDC board member and has lent his name – and his voice – to numerous environmental causes over the years. But you wouldn’t know it by the way he accumulates property. He has bought three properties since February: a $10 million apartment in New York’s Greenwich Village, an $8 million apartment adjacent to his existing $4 million one in the city’s Battery Park, and a $5.2 million, six-bedroom, 1.34 acre mansion in Palm Springs. He also owns a large waterfront home in Malibu.
More...

It is also just the latest example of hypocrisy from NRDC board members like Laurie David and Robert Redford, who demand clean energy for us, but like conventional energy for themselves. Redford owns three houses, drives SUVs, and regularly flies in private jets. But, unlike Leo, at least Redford has admitted to his hypocrisy. Leo remains walled in his glass houses.

Leonardo DiCaprio, Environmental Hypocrite

This is what DiCaprio does and the 5 luxury homes he owns:
He flies around on private jets and vacations on luxury yachts.

Here’s a 2012 headline on CelebrityFix, “Environmentalist Leonardo DiCaprio arrives in Sydney on a private jet”:

Environmental hypocrite Leonardo DiCaprio’s superyacht has huge carbon footprint

That preachy, sanctimonious environmentalist is at it again, oblivious to the irony of him vacationing on a gas-guzzling, CO2 spewing, 450 ft. superyacht, anchored off the Mediterranean coast of France for the annual debauchery known as the Cannes Film Festival.

Here’s Leonardo DiCaprio is his off-camera scruffy Howard Hughes mode:

Scepticism: an attitude of doubt or a disposition to incredulity either in general or toward a particular object;

I am very sceptical of DiCaprio's greeness.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#74  Postby Macdoc » Mar 02, 2016 1:39 am

Sounds more like disgruntled jealousy than anything else....people don't need to run around in hairshirts to move the planet to sustainable.

Planes CO2 are easy to offset and you have no way of knowing what offsets are used.

WHat we do know is something you in your unthorough nonsense did not bother to reveal in it's petty rant..

Leonardo DiCaprio has had a long history of environmental activism.

In 1998, the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation was launched and has actively fostered awareness of environmental issues through participation with a range of organistaions including Global Green, USA, the American affiliate of Green Cross international.

DiCaprio now sits on the board of Global Green and has recently helped with water campaigns by co-producing a short film 'Water Planet' about the precious nature of clean water.

He has also more recently released the film The 11th Hour, exploreing how we've arrived at this moment -- how we live, how we impact the earth's ecosystems, and what we can do to change our course.

Leonardo and LDF join more than 400 institutions pledging to divest from fossil fuels
Leonardo and the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation announced today they are joining over 400 institutions and 2,000 individuals participating in the Divest-Invest pledge, along with governments and investors from 43 countries.

http://leonardodicaprio.org

When Leonardo DiCaprio isn’t starring in award-winning movies, he’s working to save the planet. He sits on the boards of several environmental nonprofits, is well known for his generous contributions to environmental causes, lends his voice as narration in powerful environmental films and was recently appointed as UN Messenger for Peace by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon who called DiCaprio a “new voice for climate advocacy.” Now, DiCaprio is launching a new project: Blackadore Caye, a Restorative Island.

http://ecowatch.com/2015/04/06/leonardo ... dore-caye/

Leonardo DiCaprio: Green Tech Can Soon Meet 100% Of Global Energy Needs
10/30/2014 02:26 pm ET | Updated Nov 26, 2014

By Leila Conners -- Tree Media

The short film above, "Green World Rising," is the third episode in the Green World Rising series narrated by actor Leonardo DiCaprio and created by Tree Media. A U.N. draft to guide upcoming climate summits is due to be published on Nov. 2. The leaked U.N. report says climate change may have "serious, pervasive and irreversibleâ" impacts on human society and nature.

We don't need fossil fuels anymore. Many would argue that the reason we can't stop burning fossil fuels and address climate change is that our modern civilization can't continue without them. The notion that we depend on fossil fuels is a myth; and it's a myth that must be busted. And busted soon, given the rapid advance of climate change.

more
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/3 ... 71976.html

Leonardo DiCaprio Announces He's Donating $15 Million To An Underfunded Cause
by Emma Loewe, MBG EditorialJanuary 20, 2016 3:38 PM SAVE

Just as we're starting to cross our fingers that he finally snags his overdue Oscar, Leonardo DiCaprio gives us another reason to cheer him on.
During a speech at the World Economic Forum yesterday, the actor announced that his charity will be donating $15 million to environmental causes.

This includes grants to the Rainforest Action Network to preserve natural habitats abroad, the Solutions Project to conduct alternative energy research, and the Global Fishing Watch to reduce overfishing in the world's oceans.

"Currently, less than 3% of all philanthropic giving goes to defending our planet," DiCaprio said. "Again 3% of all philanthropic giving goes towards the protection of our ONLY home, planet earth."

He told global leaders in attendance at the Forum — a three-day business summit held in Geneva, Switzerland — that investing in climate change reduction strategies makes economic sense and using renewable technology to fill the world's total energy demand could save nearly $42 trillion in global energy costs and create 20 million new jobs.

This isn't the first time Leo has used his fame as a platform for implementing reform. Since its founding in 1998, his namesake foundation[color=#FF0000] has pledged over $30 million to 65 organizations across various environmental sector[/color]s.

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-23435/le ... cause.html

The only thing you are contributing is leaving a bad taste.... :coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#75  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 02, 2016 1:52 am

Macdoc wrote:Sounds more like disgruntled jealousy than anything else....people don't need to run around in hairshirts to move the planet to sustainable.

Why should i be jealous of a hypocrite? Just because he puts a bit of pocket money into a foundation his sins are covered.
All of sudden private jets are good. Buying big real estates is good. Sailing diesel guzzling yachts is good.

It is great PR.

We must not criticise him. Is that the point?

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#76  Postby felltoearth » Mar 02, 2016 1:58 am

If his overall carbon footprint is net zero, how is he being a hypocrite?
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#77  Postby Macdoc » Mar 02, 2016 2:01 am

Exactly
••••

OP
Don't try and hide blithering ignorance behind a badge of skepticism.....do you even know what offsets are???
His total contribution to a sustainable planet and the awareness of the reality of climate change are massive ..the UN recognises it all you can do is kvetch.....speaks much to your issues not his.

DId you buy offsets flying to and from Australia??? if not STFU about others making an effort on a world scale....I don't see any contributions from you in the science forum providing information about climate change......how about you list your acheivements towards global sustainability????
We'll wait..
:coffee:

As I said....petty jealousy nothing more......not skepticism ....ignorance...you didn't bother to check did you ???

celebrity.yahoo.com/.../leonardo-dicaprio-wants-to-save--our-ocean--—-so...
Jun 17, 2014 - Leonardo DiCaprio spoke in Washington, D.C., at the State Department's ... DiCaprio is well known for buying his own carbon emission offsets.
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#78  Postby laklak » Mar 02, 2016 4:07 am

I got in a bit of a discussion with a rather green chap about my boat, according to him I'm killing the planet with my selfish lifestyle. But I didn't realize it was so easy and cheap to get to 0 carbon at the time. I'll burn about 500 gallons of diesel this season. According to wiki, a well maintained diesel engine (mine are) produces about 2.65 kgs of CO2 per liter. At 3.8 l/USGal, 2.2 lb/kg, 2000 lbs / US ton, and (wiki again) $29 max per ton for carbon offsets, I get

500 * 3.8 * 2.65 * 2.2 / 2000 = 5.5 US tons of CO2. So at 29 a ton it will cost about $160 to be just as green as Leo? I can sleep the sleep of the just?

I'm ready for my next 'discussion'.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#79  Postby Macdoc » Mar 02, 2016 4:14 am

Yes - and just double and you can really strut.
It's getting your gov to move things along with a carbon tax and other approaches that work on a mass scale.

Individual carbon off set is easy - even for Leo....not so easy offsetting a cargo ship.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#80  Postby laklak » Mar 02, 2016 4:26 am

Yeah the calculations would get a bit tricky for a container ship or super tanker, I imagine. Looks like it adds about .32 a gallon to the price of diesel, though the figures for cost per ton ranged from 5.60 to 29.00 depending on the offset market. So at the lower end only about 7 cents a gallon. Given that diesel costs less than half what it did 2 years ago that's a negligible increase.

Bigger question is, of course, do offsets actually work? Do we have anything even approaching usable data yet?
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to The Arts & Entertainment