Upcoming Video Games

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Upcoming Video Games

#3301  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 17, 2020 8:40 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:So we're getting a remaster of games that look just fine, but they won't touch Knights Of The Old Republic. I guess a spit shine is way less work.

You're right when it comes to ME 2 & 3, but ME 1 looks pretty shite, even more so when compared to it's sequels.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#3302  Postby arugula2 » Nov 17, 2020 8:00 pm

Bc I value the effort that went into that story... if anyone hasn’t played the Mass Effect trilogy: please avoid trailers & plot. :shifty:
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#3303  Postby SafeAsMilk » Nov 17, 2020 8:09 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:So we're getting a remaster of games that look just fine, but they won't touch Knights Of The Old Republic. I guess a spit shine is way less work.

You're right when it comes to ME 2 & 3, but ME 1 looks pretty shite, even more so when compared to it's sequels.

I don’t remember it looking that bad, though it was around the time 3 came out so awhile ago. I do remember the controls being a bit more clunky, but that was never their strong suit.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3304  Postby willhud9 » Nov 17, 2020 8:51 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

I don’t remember it looking that bad, though it was around the time 3 came out so awhile ago. I do remember the controls being a bit more clunky, but that was never their strong suit.

Honestly, if they remastered KOTR, updated some of the glitchy combat, but left the majority of the game as was, EA would have their best cash cow on their hands. Multi-platform game (PC, PS5, XBox X, Switch) and one of the most beloved stories. However, I fear two things:

a) They don't want to utilize that story for Darth Revan. They want to retcon Darth Revan and make their own story. KOTR is not canon according to Disney. They even deleted in the Clone Wars animated a scene that would have included Darth Revan and Malak, but were apprehensive of using it and cut it. In Rise of Skywalker, we know Darth Revan existed due to the little Easter egg we were given, but aside from that we do not have much to go on. Since they wouldn't want to use this story, they'd write their own in a Disney+ series.

b) They release the game, but with massive changes to the core mechanics. They try to Final Fantasy 7 it. Make it look more impressive, but in the end make us wait years for a complete story.

Honestly, both seem likely from Disney, Lucasfilm, and EA.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3305  Postby SafeAsMilk » Nov 18, 2020 1:55 am

Yikes I didn't think they'd change the story, just make it look and play nicer. Deffo don't want the FF7 treatment, the gameplay is good enough as it is. Still I think it's just too much work for them, and they aren't as sure as you are that it'll be a cash cow.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3306  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 18, 2020 11:21 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Left ME 1, right Andromeda
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3307  Postby SafeAsMilk » Nov 18, 2020 12:09 pm

Guess I'm blind, cuz I prefer ME 1 :lol:
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#3308  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 18, 2020 1:23 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:Guess I'm blind, cuz I prefer ME 1 :lol:

:lol:
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3309  Postby SafeAsMilk » Nov 18, 2020 7:49 pm

...speaking of KOTOR playing nicely, was wondering if anyone's had this issue trying to play the Steam version on Windows 7 -- there's a gigantic black frame on all four sides of a tiny box, in which the bottom-right of the game's screen (gotta be at least 1/3rd of it) is cut off. I've tried changing all the screen settings I can find, both in the game (well the ones I can get to with a huge chunk of the screen being cut off) and the swconfig file and swkotor configuration settings file. Weirdly the game displays just fine on a mac, but I'd like to be able to play it on the PC and TV setup I made just for the purpose.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3310  Postby arugula2 » Nov 20, 2020 12:32 am

2, it seems.

epic.png
epic.png (156.48 KiB) Viewed 75 times

Elite Dangerous (2015/16/17) - includes 5 Horizons expansions.

[Reveal] Spoiler: trailer

World Next Door (2019)

..."an indie visual novel and puzzle game" according to Wikipedia.

[Reveal] Spoiler: trailer-ish
arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#3311  Postby willhud9 » Nov 21, 2020 2:07 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:...speaking of KOTOR playing nicely, was wondering if anyone's had this issue trying to play the Steam version on Windows 7 -- there's a gigantic black frame on all four sides of a tiny box, in which the bottom-right of the game's screen (gotta be at least 1/3rd of it) is cut off. I've tried changing all the screen settings I can find, both in the game (well the ones I can get to with a huge chunk of the screen being cut off) and the swconfig file and swkotor configuration settings file. Weirdly the game displays just fine on a mac, but I'd like to be able to play it on the PC and TV setup I made just for the purpose.

Ive heard people saying you need to run modulations to get it to play on high resolution PC's. The game just doesn't have the capacity to run on high resolution devices.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3312  Postby SafeAsMilk » Nov 21, 2020 1:16 pm

willhud9 wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:...speaking of KOTOR playing nicely, was wondering if anyone's had this issue trying to play the Steam version on Windows 7 -- there's a gigantic black frame on all four sides of a tiny box, in which the bottom-right of the game's screen (gotta be at least 1/3rd of it) is cut off. I've tried changing all the screen settings I can find, both in the game (well the ones I can get to with a huge chunk of the screen being cut off) and the swconfig file and swkotor configuration settings file. Weirdly the game displays just fine on a mac, but I'd like to be able to play it on the PC and TV setup I made just for the purpose.

Ive heard people saying you need to run modulations to get it to play on high resolution PC's. The game just doesn't have the capacity to run on high resolution devices.

I certainly wouldn't call my 10 year old PC and TV "high resolution devices". I've read about problems with widescreen, but this doesn't seem like the issue here and like I said, runs without the slightest hiccup on Macs. Besides, the game is still being sold on platforms like Steam, so I can't imagine it would be THAT tough to get it to work.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3313  Postby Animavore » Nov 21, 2020 5:05 pm

Finally got it on Black Friday sale. TLOU2 is the real deal.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3314  Postby Animavore » Nov 21, 2020 11:40 pm

Having played through the first act of TLOU2 I've already encountered 2 of the 3 main objections.

The first is the bigoted objection of LGBTQ representation. This first one I reject off-hand.

The second is to do with missteps in subverting expectations. This hasn't bothered me. Though I can see why some would be, though not why be a drama queen about it.

The third objection of nihilism and hopelessness in the ending I can't see bothering me, but we'll see.

So far it's one of the most beautiful games I've ever played and the attention to detail is ridiculous. It stands alongside RDR2 in this regard. It still feels clunky though.

I'm really interested to see where it goes. I really don't know what to expect from it. It hasn't been what I expected at all so far.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3315  Postby arugula2 » Nov 21, 2020 11:44 pm

Hasn't been what you expected - in terms of the plot? The overall tone?

Clunky - the camera/movement? The shooting mechanics?
arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#3316  Postby Animavore » Nov 21, 2020 11:47 pm

Yes.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3317  Postby arugula2 » Nov 21, 2020 11:58 pm

Ah.
arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#3318  Postby arugula2 » Nov 22, 2020 5:35 pm

"Rick and Morty x PlayStation 5 Console [ad]"

arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#3319  Postby Animavore » Nov 22, 2020 5:53 pm

Looks like I'm getting a PS5 tomorrow.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post