what is your fav anime, first anime, and worst anime to you?

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

what is your fav anime, first anime, and worst anime to you?

#1  Postby Mr. Skeptic » Mar 10, 2020 5:20 am

I don't really have one, but I have several.

1. Space Pirate Captain Harlock

2. Neon Genesis Evangelion

3. Sailor Moon

4. Ranma 1/2

5. Sgt Frog (also my first)

my worst has to be SAO. the sec being Eiken. guilty pleasure really.
Mr. Skeptic

Name: Owen Terry

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: what is your fav anime, first anime, and worst anime to you?

#2  Postby Svartalf » Mar 10, 2020 7:47 am

I don't really have a favorite, didn't properly watch enough, though there are 3 that stand out
- UFO Robot Grendizer, which was the one that made me like the genre
- Ranma 1/2
- Superdimensional Fortress Macross (also the first part of the Robotech trilogy)

My first? has to be something by Osamu Tezuka, either King Leo or Princess Sapphire.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 10, 2020 11:54 am

I guess it depends on what you count. First would probably be some poorly translated and localized serial like The Noozles on Nickelodeon. After that I was introduced to Hayao Miyazaki's films, Cowboy Bebop, Ninja Scroll. etc.

Favorite? I dunno, it might be the first Ghost In The Shell - Standalone Complex series. I'm sure I'm just forgetting a bunch of stuff cuz it's been so long. Always wanted to get into Macross, but the expense/want ratio is too high. Eventually got more into manga, and then sorta lost interest altogether.

Worst? I'm pretty lucky that I didn't watch that many awful ones. Mostly it was just popular shows that were kinda meh.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 10, 2020 2:11 pm

First is difficult to pin down.
Probably Alfred Jodocus Kwak;
Alfred J. Kwak (小さなアヒルの大きな愛の物語 あひるのクワック, Chiisana Ahiru no Ōkina Ai no Monogatari: Ahiru no Kwak, lit. Little Duck's Big Love Story: Kwak the Duck) is a Dutch-German-Japanese anime comedy-drama television series based on a Dutch theatre show by Herman van Veen and was co-produced by VARA, Telecable Benelux B.V., ZDF and TV Tokyo and first shown in 1989. It consists of 52 episodes. The series characters were designed by Harald Siepermann.[2] There are also toys and a comic based on the animated series.

Also one of my favorites, as it's a kids show that addressed various adult issues that are still relevant today, such as poverty, apartheid, Nazism, the environment and more.

Dolf as an expy for Hitler.

Alfred confronting an expy of a South-African white supremacist.

Others that I watched around the same time or soon after: Pokemon, Digimon, Shaman King and similar shonen that were broadcast on the Dutch versions of Fox Kids and Cartoon Network.

My first, relatively more mature anime I watched were the likes of Gundam Wing and Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

I tend to stop watching bad anime after an episode or two, so I can't really name a worst one.
My favorites include, in no particular order; Gundam Wing, LotGH, Rurouni Kenshin, Here and There Now and Then and others.
Here and there, now and then, is, among other things, about child soldiers and therefore get''s pretty dark.
Last edited by Thomas Eshuis on Mar 10, 2020 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Thommo » Mar 10, 2020 2:15 pm

Haven't watched all that much but One Punch Man and Stein;s Gate were both fantastic.
Thommo

Print view this post

#6  Postby Ironclad » Mar 10, 2020 4:51 pm

The first I watched was Akira, and was quite surprised at the depth of storytelling at the time.
Following this was the rather .. uh.. erotically violent Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend. A six volume tentacle extravaganza.
My favourite/s, despite some terrible voice work (someone stepped down hard on the wa-wa box) are both the Japanese and USAian rework of The Guyver: Bio-Booster Armor. Where the Japanese was unfinished it was both inferior and superior to the latter, in equal measure. The USAian rework added considerable story, again it left us hanging, knowing more story needed to play out. I am not sure this was ever done. A little like Alita, it was going to a definite place but never reached destination.
I've watched quite a few but not for many years now.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Mr. Skeptic » Mar 12, 2020 3:16 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:First is difficult to pin down.
Probably Alfred Jodocus Kwak;
Alfred J. Kwak (小さなアヒルの大きな愛の物語 あひるのクワック, Chiisana Ahiru no Ōkina Ai no Monogatari: Ahiru no Kwak, lit. Little Duck's Big Love Story: Kwak the Duck) is a Dutch-German-Japanese anime comedy-drama television series based on a Dutch theatre show by Herman van Veen and was co-produced by VARA, Telecable Benelux B.V., ZDF and TV Tokyo and first shown in 1989. It consists of 52 episodes. The series characters were designed by Harald Siepermann.[2] There are also toys and a comic based on the animated series.

Also one of my favorites, as it's a kids show that addressed various adult issues that are still relevant today, such as poverty, apartheid, Nazism, the environment and more.

Dolf as an expy for Hitler.

Alfred confronting an expy of a South-African white supremacist.

Others that I watched around the same time or soon after: Pokemon, Digimon, Shaman King and similar shonen that were broadcast on the Dutch versions of Fox Kids and Cartoon Network.

My first, relatively more mature anime I watched were the likes of Gundam Wing and Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

I tend to stop watching bad anime after an episode or two, so I can't really name a worst one.
My favorites include, in no particular order; Gundam Wing, LotGH, Rurouni Kenshin, Here and There Now and Then and others.
Here and there, now and then, is, among other things, about child soldiers and therefore get''s pretty dark.

I didn't even know that existed. I first saw that (along with many other animes such as Azumanga Daioh) on AMV hell (4 I think).
Mr. Skeptic

Name: Owen Terry

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby The_Piper » Mar 12, 2020 3:59 am

Beavis and Butthead is about it for me. I haven't wastched it in ages. When my nephew was a kid he used to watch one where the grim reaper hung around with kids and was emotional and stuff. That cracked me up a few times.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 12, 2020 1:33 pm

I don't know what this emotional grim reaper show is you're talking about, but it sounds amazing.

Also, I'm pretty sure B&B wouldn't be considered anime :tehe:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 12, 2020 4:03 pm

Akira - First
Ghost in the Shell 2 -Innocence - (current) Fav
My neighbour Totoro - Worst I can think of, although I quite liked that one in a way it was...er...dull? Although probs the truly rubbish ones I've seen if, indeed, they exist at all, I've probably completely forgotten.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#11  Postby The_Piper » Mar 12, 2020 5:17 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:I don't know what this emotional grim reaper show is you're talking about, but it sounds amazing.

Also, I'm pretty sure B&B wouldn't be considered anime :tehe:

Well, it's animated. :teef:

I found what the Grim Reaper cartoon is Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
The Reaper comes by two children to collect the soul of one of the kids, Billy's, hamster Snuggles. Mandy, the other child and friend to Billy, challenges Grim to a contest so they can save the soul of the hamster. If Grim wins, he takes the hamsters soul but if the children win, they keep him and Grim becomes their friend for all eternity. Of course, Grim loses after being attacked by the hamster and now he's stuck with them, always fantisizing about killing them. Grim has supernatural powers and to be honest, he isn't respected as a Reaper but more like an annoying hall monitor. His Jamaican accent, provided by Greg Eagles, just seals the deal of goofiest Reaper to grace cartoons.

I didn't know it had that backstory. :lol:
https://aminoapps.com/c/cartoon/page/blog/10-appearances-of-the-grim-reaper-in-cartoons/eY6I_3udk4B5zBKWWLN42r8Eg1aZkP5
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby KorioJames » Apr 04, 2020 11:19 am

The first anime I watched (on a friend’s advice) is PsychoPass. It impressed me) Then there was a wave of anime, from the long-playing one I liked the bleach, from the last ones - the one-punch man. I can not say anything about the worst anime since as a rule, I do not look beyond two episodes of something that does not cause a response.
KorioJames
Banned Spammer

Name: James

Print view this post

Return to The Arts & Entertainment