What makes you tick musically?

Discuss books, film, tv, music, games and all other arts here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

What makes you tick musically?

#1  Postby obscured by clouds » Mar 06, 2010 5:25 am

Meat Loaf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_Out_of_Hell

When I was about 12ish in '85ish, my aunt found out that I was into Heavy Metal, you know, Ozzy, Metallica, Slayer. Probably from my mother and you know how that conversation would go...sigh parents. Anyway she gave me Meat Loaf ~ Out Of Hell cassette tape, well since I was into heavy metal right...lol

I have to say this one of the most profound albums that I have ever encounter. Yes even as a young 12 year old stoner metal head this album probably had one of the most influences on me as I grew up. I did not know why many of the themes I had never personal experienced would have such a dramatic experience as I grew up.

Years later, in 1990 when I was 16 Meat Loaf finial made another Bat Out Of Hell tour. HA! But it was in a different state no money no transportation and none of my friends would understand (metal heads). My mom has always been cool when I was younger. She took me, she liked them, just not as much as I did.

Till to this day I have to say that was one of the best shows I have ever seen. Which is surprising when when you take in count of the shows that I have been to and the drug/alcohol consumption/back stage passes and some of the other assorted active that I have been privileges with being with the band would afford. And this show I was straight which is a rarity.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Waq_z7lvxjw[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVXrLxOTJk4[/youtube]

If there was one album that I had to pick to try to explain what being human was like, this would probably be the one. I can not think of a better album that would be able to try to express the entirety of the human experience. However limited due to different cultures and experiences and such.

What is yours?
Last edited by obscured by clouds on Mar 06, 2010 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
OBC world summer tour! LA ~ May 8, Thrasho De Mayo / Saint Vitus ~ West Coast Tour, Seattle, Protland, SF, LA, San Diego, Las Vegas June 25 - July 1 / July 4th weekend LA / Scotland, Oct? / Come and say hi if you live near! (more TBA)
obscured by clouds

Name: Mr. Obscured By Clouds

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: What makes you tick musically?

#2  Postby Gallstones » Mar 06, 2010 5:29 am

Here ya go.

I might elaborate at some point in time but right now I'm full of vodka and single malt. But this is the most personal song I can offer.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06lHYtjvgLQ[/youtube]

BTW, the title of this thread hits a chord. No pun intended.
Gallstones

Print view this post

#3  Postby obscured by clouds » Mar 06, 2010 6:51 am

Gallstones wrote:Here ya go.

I might elaborate at some point in time but right now I'm full of vodka and single malt. But this is the most personal song I can offer.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06lHYtjvgLQ[/youtube]

BTW, the title of this thread hits a chord. No pun intended.

Never heard of that till that now, I will listen and checked out the lyrics man. :thumbup:
OBC world summer tour! LA ~ May 8, Thrasho De Mayo / Saint Vitus ~ West Coast Tour, Seattle, Protland, SF, LA, San Diego, Las Vegas June 25 - July 1 / July 4th weekend LA / Scotland, Oct? / Come and say hi if you live near! (more TBA)
obscured by clouds

Print view this post

#4  Postby j.mills » Mar 08, 2010 12:38 am

I forgot to mention Meatloaf on the top concerts thread. The guy was so full of life and good humour when I saw him - would have been the Bat Out Of Hell 2 tour. Of course, shedloads of credit also to Jim Steinman, whose solo album Bad For Good and manufactured girl-group album Original Sin 'by' Pandora's Box are also thoroughly deserving of your time. (You will have heard many of the songs recycled elsewhere by Meatloaf, Taylor Dane, even Celine Dion; but even when Steinman is producing on those covers, the original versions are the best.)

For myself, my desert-island band is Yes. Gimme Close To The Edge or Tales From Topographic Oceans and I'm in ecstasy. :grin: No other band comes close.
WordsVoiceLimericky tweets

There is grandeur in this view of life
Where one becomes many through struggle and strife,
But the Mother of Mysteries is another man's call:
Why is there something 'stead of nothing at all?

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby OgreMkV » Mar 08, 2010 12:57 am

I do like Meatloaf (up to a point) and the occasional musical stylings of Def Lepard and the Police.

But I really prefer EuroDance and Trance. It's realy odd, since I hate clubs and going to them. Although I really like this guy to:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXmVG6QIuBQ[/youtube]
Even if you disprove evolution, it does not mean that ID or your religion is correct.
OgreMkV

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby Gallstones » Mar 08, 2010 12:58 am

I'm a philistine. I know what I like and most of what I like is in the realm of pop, especially metal or grunge. But, I am not completely without a clue regarding what is quality. Music itself makes me tick. I haven't watched TV in months but I listen to music most of every day. I walk most places by preference and my mp3 is necessary and always with me. I've spent a goodly portion of my disposable income in the past several months on building a music collection--I still buy CDs. Although all my listening is via the pc or mp3, I want to have that hard copy with the cover art should the other devices crash. Besides I then get the tangible proof of a growing collection by looking at how high or how many stacks I have or how many rows fill the CD drawer. Via the kindness of friends I have been introduced to some genre and bands/artists I might never have discovered on my own, and have added them to my collection too. And, because it is something I have longed to do for a few years now, I just bought a guitar. Pretty soon, given enough practice, I'll be playing my favorite songs :smoke:

Music, if I like it, gives me the same rush as *cough/drugs/cough* used to without the side effects.
Gallstones

Print view this post

#7  Postby Robert_S » Mar 10, 2010 5:12 am

I'm pretty eclectic, but what really gets me into a musician is honesty and intelligence in the songwriting.

I have absolutely no problem listening to anything, even religiously themed music, as long as it's a skilled musician making music about they really think and feel.
Robert_S

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby melchior » Mar 13, 2010 10:40 pm

Generally, anything and everything by The Doors 8-) I do love The Doors (and Jim Morrison!) to an almost (embarrassingly!) obsessional extent :oops:
Would you like a cup of tea with that?
melchior

Print view this post

#9  Postby Oliver » Mar 13, 2010 10:46 pm

A metronome.
Oliver

Print view this post

#10  Postby Stephen » Mar 13, 2010 10:49 pm

Rhythm.

That said I do listen to some pretty formless stuff.
Stephen

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby justanillusion » Mar 13, 2010 10:50 pm

Female-fronted metal ... I find the music beautiful and the lyrics awesome, usually. This is one of the lesser-known bands with a fabulous song partially inspired by Serbian folk music. I can listen to it several times in a row.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_IZ7JInwJ8[/youtube]
<<used to be MindWarrior on RD.net>>

The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.
Sun Tzu
justanillusion

Female

Czech Republic (cz)
Print view this post

#12  Postby xsmooth_criminalx » Mar 13, 2010 11:07 pm

Michael's stuff, obviously. :D :heart:

But other than that, I like anything from classical music :thumbup: to gothic metal. The only genres I don't really care for are country and rap.

It also depends on my mood/activity. If I am writing or doing anything creative, I find that classical music is the best thing to listen to. If I'm sad and I want to cheer myself up, Michael's music is the best for that.

If I'm just bored and looking for some noise, I'll pop in Lady Gaga or one of the other popular artists I listen to.
You've been HIT by, you've been STRUCK by, a Smooth Criminal~
xsmooth_criminalx

Name: Christelle
Female

Spain (es)
Print view this post

#13  Postby j.mills » Mar 13, 2010 11:12 pm

Meh, 's okay. (justanillusion's pick.) Bit Eurovision. For ladies rockin' out, I'll take Heart:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sovT8Ee4z-I[/youtube]

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby justanillusion » Mar 13, 2010 11:30 pm

Not bad, j.mills, especially when she actually sings :mrgreen: (I'm not a fan of screaming) Here's Stream of Passion for you - I've got a soft metal ear :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENx3Ud2p8W4[/youtube]

PS: I was thinking more Nightwish (and their finnish and even yiddish folk solgs) than Eurovision (were you by any chance refering to Ruslana's Wild Dances? That might well have been the only Eurovision song I ever liked), but you're right that the use of folk elements is prolific lately.

Sun Tzu
justanillusion

Female

Czech Republic (cz)
Print view this post

#15  Postby j.mills » Mar 13, 2010 11:49 pm

Seems like a good one to drive to. :dopey:

justanillusion wrote:PS: I was thinking more Nightwish (and their finnish and even yiddish folk solgs) than Eurovision (were you by any chance refering to Ruslana's Wild Dances? That might well have been the only Eurovision song I ever liked), but you're right that the use of folk elements is prolific lately.

Ah, I think you have me confused with someone who knew what he was talking about. :grin:

Okay, this one's a blast - watch it don't blow yer speakers. :grin: It's Jim Steinman's girl band, Pandora's Box. Most of the stuff on their (only) album, Original Sin, has been covered by other people, mainly Meatloaf, and often with Steinman at the desk; but in all cases the original versions remain the best by a country mile.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep5oNzx6qG4[/youtube]

Now I'll stop hogging the thread with girl-rock. :)

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby justanillusion » Mar 14, 2010 12:02 am

j.mills wrote:Ah, I think you have me confused with someone who knew what he was talking about. :grin:

And I thought all Britons were Eurovision experts :lol: ! My only exposure comes from Irish pubs in Basel, where I was dragged to by a bunch of British friends (the music was generally awful and the British contestant did not win, but :drunk: saved the day)

j.mills wrote:Okay, this one's a blast - watch it don't blow yer speakers. :grin:

Becomes very interesting at about 4:25 ... I might check this out!

(And yes, I'll behave too, no more videos)

Sun Tzu
justanillusion

Female

Czech Republic (cz)
Print view this post

#17  Postby obscured by clouds » Mar 14, 2010 5:30 am

melchior wrote:Generally, anything and everything by The Doors 8-) I do love The Doors (and Jim Morrison!) to an almost (embarrassingly!) obsessional extent :oops:

lol, yes I know what you mean I have a man crush on him. :lol:
obscured by clouds

Print view this post

#18  Postby obscured by clouds » Mar 14, 2010 5:46 am

Who likes stories? Here is one that I can suggest.

Please read this,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Siberian_Orchestra

An most of all listen Trans-Siberian Orchestra ~ Beethoven's Last Night

Personnel includes: Jon Oliva (vocals, piano, keyboards, bass); Patti Russo, Jody Ashworth, Guy Lemmonnier, Jamie Torcellini, Sylvia Tosun, Zak Stevens, Dave Diamond, Doug Thoms (vocals); Paul O'Neill (acoustic & electric guitars); Dave Wittman (guitar, bass, drums); Al Pitrelli (guitar, bass); Chris Caffery (guitar); Todd Reynolds, Paul Reynolds, Paul Woodiel, Mary Rowell, Laura Seaton-Finn, Denise Stillwell (violin); Mark Wood, Mark Ferris (viola); Gary Yellin, Jonas Tauber, Dorothy Lawson (cello); Robert Kinkel (piano, keyboards); Johnny Lee Middleton (bass); Jeff Plate (drums); Danielle Landherr, Marni Elliot, Sylvia Tosun, Robert Kinkel, Christian James, Jacob Ashworth, Evan Maltby, Sebastian Perez, Caroline Ross (background vocals).

This might be the gem that you have been looking for, I know it was something I was looking for and needed and am thankful for coming across.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5OR0kDyKxQ[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb71glw5wUA[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njuo1EKzjuQ[/youtube]

I can not find Final Fall but that is a great song.....
obscured by clouds

Print view this post

Return to The Arts & Entertainment