What's the last film you watched? (2)

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What's the last film you watched? (2)

#23361  Postby Macdoc » Sep 20, 2019 11:03 pm

purplerat wrote:
Instead I got 2 hours of Brad Pitt inner monologues interspersed with some of the most absurd depictions of space travel/exploration in a serious sci-fi movie this century.

and did you watch it in iMax? :coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#23362  Postby purplerat » Sep 21, 2019 5:11 am

Macdoc wrote:
purplerat wrote:
Instead I got 2 hours of Brad Pitt inner monologues interspersed with some of the most absurd depictions of space travel/exploration in a serious sci-fi movie this century.

and did you watch it in iMax? :coffee:

no, but I did sit in the second row.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#23363  Postby Macdoc » Sep 23, 2019 4:44 am

What a monumental waste of time.... :nono: My daughter seemed to find some redeeming virtue ....I didn't. :yuk:'
The audience nailed it on RT with even then an over optimistic 43% while most of critics went waffling off into raves,,,'

This one nailed it

Sep 20
'Ad Astra' Review: Drastically Lower Your Expectations (And I.Q.)

“Below the surface, there was nothing.”

This quote from the movie pretty much sums it all up. To say that ‘Ad Astra’ failed to meet our astronomically high expectations would be a cosmically vast understatement. We’ll get to that in a minute, but first we need to address the issue of the human buffalo sitting to our right who at first served as an annoyance, but as the movie painfully played on, became a welcomed distraction.

more and indeed painfully correct

To put it plainly, ‘Ad Astra’ has some of the most absurdly unrealistic scenes of any space movie we’ve seen. If you know anything about physics, botany, nutrition, astronomy, or just about any other branch of science, ‘Ad Astra’ will make your brain hurt.

https://www.metaflix.com/movie-news/201 ... ons-and-iq
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#23364  Postby purplerat » Sep 23, 2019 7:00 pm

I've read a number of the positive reviews to see what I was missing and apparently I'm not intellectual enough to appreciate this film. I guess I missed the deeper meaning behind Brad Pitt fighting a monkey in space.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#23365  Postby Animavore » Sep 23, 2019 7:04 pm

Could say the same about Once Upon A Time in Hollywood. It's quite well received and apparently there's some nuance that's gone over my head.

The ones who gave it bad reviews are generally in line with my view that Tarantino has finally disappeared up his own arse.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#23366  Postby Macdoc » Sep 24, 2019 11:40 pm

I've not had much time for Taratino.
What really irked me about Astra was coming off the amazing physics of a couple of the scifi books I've just read by authors who actually understand, you get that piece of junk in iMax by a director without a clue.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#23367  Postby Macdoc » Sep 28, 2019 3:13 am

Unexpected treat for Man with No Name fans... and that would be me ...saw some on first showing too far way back when. :popcorn:

what a crazy bunch.....incredible effort

Going to watch it Good Bad again with fresh eyes

Snagged a decently cleaned up print ...does justice to the film ,,,,damn thing is long but seeing it with new awareness after the docu. :popcorn:

Forgotten some of the details....nice film to revisit.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#23368  Postby felltoearth » Sep 28, 2019 2:16 pm

Had me until the final shot. My brain switched off. Pass.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#23369  Postby LucidFlight » Sep 28, 2019 3:24 pm

felltoearth wrote:Had me until the final shot. My brain switched off. Pass.

I liked the bit with Metallica.

OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23370  Postby Animavore » Oct 04, 2019 2:09 am

The Terminator was WAY ahead of its time. Just watching it now. I don't even think they meant to nail the present future.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#23371  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 04, 2019 3:03 am

How the fuck have you never seen it? Some might say Blade Runner is the greatest noir sci fi film of all time, but I think Terminator wins hands down. It's so much more gritty and bleak, and way less pretentious. There's not a wasted second. It feels like a fever dream.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#23372  Postby Fallible » Oct 04, 2019 6:28 am

Terminator is brilliant, and the sound track is an absolute classic.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#23373  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 04, 2019 1:41 pm

Yes, started my love affair with Sequential Circuits gear, though adolescent me didn't know it at the time!
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#23374  Postby Fallible » Oct 04, 2019 3:12 pm

It’s the first time I remember becoming aware of such a sound as a distinct entity.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#23375  Postby Macdoc » Oct 05, 2019 3:33 am

Finished the complete Harry Potter cycle. Enjoyed the kids growing up aspect.

Moving on to Game of Thrones which might as well be an extended movie.

Read the books early on and waited for new volumes and re-read them and still waiting for the author to complete the novels.

Have been through the audio books a few times...that's a different experience.

Have watched the complete seasons but a bit haphazard over the time.

Sooo...it's a quiet chilly weekend :popcorn:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#23376  Postby Fallible » Oct 05, 2019 8:55 am

I mean, every series might as well be an extended movie. At the risk of invoking your ire again, it is in fact a television show, for which entities we have a thread, already well trodden by your good self.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#23377  Postby Macdoc » Oct 05, 2019 6:52 pm

quoting you from another thread you fucked up with your inanities....as usual you contribute nothing to the topic and display your by now truly pathetic desire to be a mod.... :coffee:

Fallible wrote

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/evolu ... l#p2715893
•••••

If I want discuss stories arcs on differing media I will ....deal with it. :coffee:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#23378  Postby aban57 » Oct 05, 2019 7:34 pm

It looks like Macdoc doesn't understand the point of staying on-topic, or using dedicated threads to discuss a topic.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#23379  Postby Macdoc » Oct 05, 2019 8:13 pm

You miss this ??

Finished the complete Harry Potter cycle. Enjoyed the kids growing up aspect.

Anything on topic to add? ....didn't think so ....nother wanna be mod littering a thread and adding nothing...how ironic. :coffee:.

I enjoyed the aspect of the kids growing up over the years of the Harry Potter production and will do the same watching the longer GoT series. The same sentiment applies to The Americans as the younger actors grow up during the series run.
Few movie series offer that transition tho certainly some actors do ...Natalie Portman and Leonardo DiCaprio to name a couple that come to mind.

Unfortunately some of the aging actors are offering a rather unpleasant transition to geriatic mass of wrinkles....Stallone notably. :yuk:

Offering cameos of previous stars in a series ala Star Trek movies maybe works tho seems more transparently a marketing ploy than adding to the story arc...Princess Leia maybe an exception and possibly a somewhat unwilling Harrison Ford. :coffee:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#23380  Postby Fallible » Oct 05, 2019 9:48 pm

Sorry folks, tirade incoming.

What’s made you think I wasn’t dealing with it? Calmly commenting on your post doesn’t really offer much evidence for that. I mean you’ll learn in a bit just how sick I am of your leavings, but you won’t have got that from the post to which you were responding.

Speaking of inanities and “as usual” contributing nothing, you only have 2 modes of posting - 1) transmit, transmit, transmit, no receive, no matter how mundane and pointless (and jesus’s fucking greasy tits, repetitive - how many separate times do you think we need to hear that you are going to watch, are watching or have watched a thing before you shut the fuck up about it? I will go to my grave with it having been burnt onto my retinas that you like the original version of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo) the transmission is, and 2) getting your pyrotechnic handbag out when anyone dares disagree with you.

You must have been stuck in mode #1 for a long time, because only a fucking idiot otherwise would accuse me of contributing nothing in a thread I have frequented and posted in for years because I love film. You’ll even find me sometimes discussing films, rather than simply shitting out the next staccato, pidgin English transmission 5 seconds after the last, but hey. What does reality matter any more? This line from you was wrong the last 5 times you deposited it on the board, and it’s wrong again. That’s nothing that will stop you from using it again and again and again though.

Oh and while I’m ranting, did you know you’ve been calling supposedly one of your favourite books by the wrong name for over 10 years? Yeah. While crippled by side-effects and stranded on the couch for the day, I thought I’d relive some good old times, and what do you know - in another thread I am often to be found in because I love books, while I was revelling in the feels of reading experiences gone by, fuck me if you weren’t there, making the same goddamn mistake. It turns out that you’ve never to my knowledge in the past decade actually managed to get it right. What does that tell you?

Do I seem infuriated right now, my good fellow? Yes? Well I am. I’ve had just about all I can take of your supercilious, nasty, dismissive, dull, arrogant, slightly creepy posts on this board, and ever since you simply refused to re-think the position you entirely fabricated for me on climate change, repeatedly and without correction despite my numerous protests, the very first time we ever interacted, your scatter gun belligerence has got right on my not inconsiderable tits.

Every time, every single mother flipping time, I log on and think I’ll head on over to the movie or TV show thread, your name is invariably there as the last poster, and my heart immediately sinks. I know you’re going to have posted something pointless or gross again, and I know that if I take issue with it you’ll have another melt down, so it’s best to ignore. Ok, managed that...phew...oh for the love of Hitchcock, there he is again. You think I’m being picky? You don’t know how many times over the last several years I’ve sat on my hands. Many people won’t have a problem with your posts, that’s fine and dandy. Just to avoid any uncertainty, I definitely do, and I’m afraid you’re just going to have to learn to put up with a very average looking woman over the age of 40 having opinions different from yours, and voicing them. Right now, my opinion is that you ruin these threads for me. Genuinely. It’s like sitting through ads on a YouTube video I’m really excited to watch, that I can’t skip.

What was the next thing? Ah yes. If you weren’t in transmit only mode, you maybe would have noticed those literal years when I WAS actually a mod, and that I left of my own accord. Then you would have asked yourself, before posting like a complete tool, why someone who gave up their modship voluntarily would have a desperate desire to become a mod. Alas, that was to prove for you a bridge too sensible.

A scintillating revelation follows: commenting on you posting in the wrong thread does not equate to a desperate desire to be a mod, except in Macdoc world where Macdoc gets to craft reality to his own liking. Now cast your mind back a week or so, to the RIP thread. What will you see? You will see you, telling the creator of the thread that his latest post doesn’t belong in it. You will see you, assuming that you have the right to hold forth on behalf of the forum about which posts belong where. Let me guess. That is not you displaying a desperate desire to be a mod. No, that’s an accusation only for people who disagree with you. Take your head out of your nonsensical carbon off-setting, iMax,“Perdido Station” [sic], 4K, 5G arse for a second, and you might actually start to make sense. Hello?? Can you hear me over the sound of your own ego??

There, now you can get all red faced and furious about something that deserves it. :coffee:

——————————

We watched Red Lights again the other day. Neither of us can understand why it received the poor reception it did. Great cast (Cillian Murphy in particular turns whatever he appears in to gold, in my view), an effective creepy atmosphere, ambiguity and a decent twist at the end. What’s not to like? I’m not the biggest fan of De Niro, but I really enjoyed his performance in this. I found him genuinely unsettling. I don’t get the criticism. Is it all the shouting? Too OTT? Too slow? What?

We also watched Hotel Mumbai, about the terrorist attacks of 2008. We liked this one too. Obviously pretty gory and shocking (I think they did very well to create the sense of fear and horror), but for me the best thing about it was that they didn’t turn the white American guy into the hero of the piece. In fact he dies trussed up on the floor, unceremoniously shot in the turnip. Whether it would have been true to the events or not, they could have found a way to do so. The terrorists themselves were portrayed as little more than excitable kids, and I thought this worked.

Jennifer, if you haven’t yet watched The Curse of La Llorona, I wouldn’t bother. I mean it’s not bad bad, it’s just nothing very special. You’ll probably love it now, you ungrateful little shit.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV