What's the last film you watched? (2)

Discuss Film & TV related topics here.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What's the last film you watched? (2)

#24381  Postby arugula2 » Sep 03, 2020 11:06 am

Well now I’m intrigued! (Damn it.)
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
arugula2

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Hot Coffee (2011): Procedural

#24382  Postby arugula2 » Sep 06, 2020 6:08 am

Image Hot Coffee (2011)

A documentary about American tort reform, focusing on 3 lawsuits and the career of a judge - Mississippi supreme court justice Oliver E. Diaz, who won his election against extreme odds (including funding of attack ads by the US Chamber of Commerce, a lobby group) and then found himself the target of federal bribery charges. Fully acquitted, Diaz would be kept out of the court room for 3 years, while judges friendly to tort reform (the eroding of consumers' right to sue corporations in civil court) did the bidding of their donors. The most famous of the lawsuits is a case of hot McDonald's coffee spilling into the lap of 79 year old Stella Liebeck, who suffered 3rd degree burns and multiple reconstructive surgeries, while mythically distorted versions of her experience were used by politicians and the media to drive the narrative that there was a plague of frivolous lawsuits endangering small businesses, workers, and the economy. As usual, idiot consumers didn't know what they were supporting until, in many cases, it came to bite them in the ass.
arugula

arugula2

Print view this post

Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping (2016): Ees ok

#24383  Postby arugula2 » Sep 06, 2020 6:28 am

Image Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping (2016)

You get what you see: a mindless mockumentary about a troubled pop band. Andy Samberg does what he does, his 2 sidekicks are pretty well fleshed out, and his own character gets meaningful growth - in a story with absolutely no consequences and no stakes. So really, you watch it for the awful gags and the sometimes clever cameos (including Nas, Ringo Starr, The Roots, Will Arnett... too many others to list... most of them playing themselves). Ees ok. Doesn't need to be seen, really. But ees ok.

Edit: youtube link fixed hopefully
Last edited by arugula2 on Sep 06, 2020 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arugula

arugula2

Print view this post

Baader Meinhof Complex (2008): Alright

#24384  Postby arugula2 » Sep 06, 2020 8:31 am

Image The Baader Meinhof Complex (Der Baader Meinhof Komplex) (2008)
(Hoopla)
Drama about post-war Germany's influential leftist terrorist collective, the Red Army Faction, who were active mainly in the 70's, when the first two of three 'generations' of members carried out attacks and/or festered in prison. None of the portrayals of its members is romanticized, with narcissism, adolescent rebellion, bored domesticity, and a genuine sense of global fraternity represented in equal parts. On the other hand, the movie's not interested in describing the cultural backdrop against which the RAF carried out its attacks, beyond the group's harried internal arguments and whatever actions/reactions followed, planned or improvised. (The script emphasizes an internal rift between the 1st gen's organic core, formed around the temperamental guru Andreas Baader, and journalist-turned-revolutionary Ulrike Meinhof, who gets blamed for the bombing of publishing firm Springer, which injured several workers.)

The rationale for the federal police's response falls on investigative chief Horst Herold, played by Bruno Ganz, better known for playing Hitler in Downfall. He's also usually the only person in the room who tries to understand both the motivations of the terrorists (including Israeli oppression of Palestinians), and their growing cachet with the public. This means that every time he's on screen, he's explaining something to someone, but really he's explaining it to the viewer - like the movie's director & writers are having a workshop. It seems like a waste.

These "lessons" are about a post-war Germany perceived by the post-war generation as having not fully come to terms with its fascistic past, and re-emerging as a cog of capitalist imperialism. This is most directly expressed in the antagonism between RAF members and the chief judge in their trials, but also in their attacks on a German embassy, a CIA office, a US military base, a federal judge, a bank chief, and an industry boss who was a former SS officer. RAF victims are portrayed as ordinary people; and the group's infighting, prison hunger strikes, fruitless hijacking of a Boeing 737, and suspicious suicides are left ambiguous and messy. The only real warning, spelled out in chief Herold's monologues, is against police action that would solidify the state's image as an instrument of repression, which is how the RAF recruited from a jaded generation.

arugula

arugula2

Print view this post

Re: Baader Meinhof Complex (2008): Alright

#24385  Postby felltoearth » Sep 07, 2020 5:59 pm

arugula2 wrote:played by Bruno Ganz, better known for playing Hitler in Downfall.

He will always be first and foremost Damiel from Wings of Desire in my mind.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#24386  Postby UncertainSloth » Sep 07, 2020 6:13 pm

don't....just don't......apart from the occasional 5 seconds, don't

i guess i could be a quiet hero
no one knows the good i've done

e
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#24387  Postby Macdoc » Sep 14, 2020 5:48 am

Tenet in 70 mm iMax was almost a private screening ...20 people in the giant Ontario Place dome.

This is fair ....might be spoilers in it.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/a ... -ambitious
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#24388  Postby Animavore » Sep 14, 2020 7:23 pm

Oh, I thought it was going to be this Guardian review when you said it was fair.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/a ... dromic-dud
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#24389  Postby arugula2 » Sep 14, 2020 9:48 pm

Animavore wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/aug/21/tenet-review-christopher-nolans-thriller-is-a-palindromic-dud

"Tenet review: Christopher Nolan's thriller is a palindromic dud"

arugula

arugula2

Print view this post

#24390  Postby Macdoc » Sep 14, 2020 10:41 pm

when you see it be sure to let us know :roll: :coffee:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#24391  Postby Animavore » Sep 14, 2020 10:49 pm

I have seen it.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#24392  Postby arugula2 » Sep 14, 2020 10:58 pm

arugula

arugula2

Print view this post

#24393  Postby felltoearth » Sep 15, 2020 1:09 am

Why read when you post about seeing a movie in IMAX with 20 people? I mean Ani only has five separate posts about it.

Animavore wrote:Image

Not fully sure what to think of this one. On the one hand it's got some interesting ideas with people moving through time in the opposite direction which is dealt with in a kooky way like a Dan Brown novel. This leads to some great set pieces which unfortunately lose impact due to the booming soundtrack which never lets up even in times of exposition like a Michael Bay movie. As a consequence the volume makes you strain to hear what is being said.

If this movie deserves a second or third viewing to get all the pieces, as many claim, it's to watch it on Blu-Ray with the subtitles on. Personally I didn't find it difficult to understand, only a bit hard to follow. This means any supposed confusion is the fault of the movie itself, not of the viewer. It's not as clever as it and some others think it is.

On top of this the antagonist's motivation was bullshit and the stakes seemed abstract so it was hard to care.

Of course it was all a technical marvel and the stunts were impressive and you're left wondering how a person who refuses to use CGI accomplished some of it so I'm hoping for a making of.

I guess the overall feeling I have with it is frustration.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#24394  Postby Macdoc » Sep 15, 2020 1:36 am

Well good for him....he your mouth piece now? :roll:
You are just sniping, cuz you sore about wearing the predator badge and have not added a single thing to the discussion beyond some stale bile.
You want to analyse, you have a thread for that.
THIS thread title is rather simple.

Want to bitch about a review, I'm sure the author is intensely interested in your opinion, the director wants his films seen in iMax 70 mm so yeah it's relevant.

...I got home at 2 am from it and you want a critique?? .....well piss off.
I posted up a review that I felt was fair and it was hardly glowing despite the stars....the reviewer acknowledged the issues and still awarded it 5 stars.

General consensus is, spectacular and hard to follow

And you still haven't seen it FTE....:coffee:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#24395  Postby arugula2 » Sep 15, 2020 1:53 am

Ya but... the cup of hot coffee is way too close to the other one's eyes. It's asking for trouble, that.
arugula

arugula2

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#24396  Postby felltoearth » Sep 15, 2020 3:10 am

Macdoc wrote:Well good for him....he your mouth piece now? :roll:
You are just sniping, cuz you sore about wearing the predator badge and have not added a single thing to the discussion beyond some stale bile.
You want to analyse, you have a thread for that.
THIS thread title is rather simple.

Want to bitch about a review, I'm sure the author is intensely interested in your opinion, the director wants his films seen in iMax 70 mm so yeah it's relevant.

...I got home at 2 am from it and you want a critique?? .....well piss off.
I posted up a review that I felt was fair and it was hardly glowing despite the stars....the reviewer acknowledged the issues and still awarded it 5 stars.

General consensus is, spectacular and hard to follow

And you still haven't seen it FTE....:coffee:

:lol:
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#24397  Postby Spinozasgalt » Sep 15, 2020 8:20 am

I've been watching the Marvel movies. The ones about them heroes who are rather super. I think I'm doing it in the right order. I just finished Black Panther, next up is Infinity War. They're not bad. Don't think I could've gotten into the hype, but as a series of films to watch when you're bored and want to know what world you're in already...fun.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#24398  Postby aban57 » Sep 15, 2020 8:23 am

Spinozasgalt wrote:I've been watching the Marvel movies. The ones about them heroes who are rather super. I think I'm doing it in the right order. I just finished Black Panther, next up is Infinity War. They're not bad. Don't think I could've gotten into the hype, but as a series of films to watch when you're bored and want to know what world you're in already...fun.

It's like watching a TV show... with longer episodes.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#24399  Postby Spinozasgalt » Sep 15, 2020 8:53 am

And so much fighting, so many explosions. I like the red girl. She does the red. The red's good.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Death of Superman Lives (2015): Fascinating

#24400  Postby arugula2 » Sep 16, 2020 5:59 am

Image The Death of 'Superman Lives': What Happened? (2015)
(YouTube)
Free on youtube (embedded below). Was prompted to it by an Armchair Auteur video (currently the only youtube movie critic I'm subscribed to, not counting AngryJoeShow). He got his hands on every Superman script that was picked up but never turned into a movie. This one (Superman Lives, actually 3 scripts) was maybe the most interesting.

I'd never heard of this would-be Superman movie, starring Nicholas Cage with Tim Burton directing. I'm pretty sure now that it would've been great. This docu covers the three scripts (the first was Kevin Smith's) and pre-production, with about a dozen people giving interviews, including Burton and Smith. The involvement of producer Jon Peters, who snatched up the rights when Warner Brothers weren't looking, is infuriating, but though he had some laughably bad instincts & was abusive to the crew, it turns out not all of his ideas were shitty. But most of the good ideas came from elsewhere, including the comics.

The second two thirds are filled with concept art and props - very cool stuff. For example, the evolution of the black suit would've been rad - and I don't think we'll ever see it fully realized again, though apparently there's a negligible nod to it in the Snyder cut of Justice League. For a lot of other reasons, Burton/Cage's Superman had the right alchemy. And it was being made at exactly the right time, but also exactly the wrong time (heckled by whiny fanbois, though ultimately sabotaged by the studio itself because of money woes). Our loss, imo.

[Reveal] Spoiler: What Can We Learn From Every Superman Movie That Didn't Get Made? (Armchair Auteur)

arugula

arugula2

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Film & TV